Author Topic: The Apple-IPAD causes global warming  (Read 1887 times)

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
The Apple-IPAD causes global warming
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:14:19 AM »
http://informationliberation.com/?id=29730

Who's going to wait in line to get one tomorrow?  Come on tell us we won't laugh at you..Perhaps these people should buy offseting carbon credits. :o

Greenpeace Links Apple iPad to Global Warming

By: Michelle Maisto

Translation: They want an excuse to tax the internet.A new Greenpeace report questions the degree to which the Apple iPad, and devices that similarly rely on cloud computing, are contributing to global warming. It also calls on IT leaders such as Facebook, Google and Microsoft to be drivers of critical climate-change goals.

A March 30 report from Greenpeace aligns the Apple iPad with global warming, as the original green company seeks to raise new questions about the environmental effects of cloud computing.

The term suggests a move to put less-robust devices in the hands of consumers, eliminating the need for massive data storage or processing power by instead storing information or running applications in “the cloud” through an Internet connection, such as Google does with its widely used Gmail and Google Documents. The reality of these services, however, is an intense demand for energy at the so-called server farms powering each company’s “cloud.”

According to Greenpeace, if data centers and telecommunication networks, the two key components of the cloud, continue to grow at current rates, by 2020, they’ll consume more than half the current electricity use in the United States, or more than France, Germany, Canada and Brazil combined.

“As the cloud grows, the IT industry’s appetite for energy will only increase, so the industry must become strong advocates for renewable energy solutions and strong laws that cut global warming pollution,” Casey Harrell, a Greenpeace International campaigner, said in a statement.

“IT companies like Microsoft, Google and IBM are now in powerful positions at the local, national and international levels to influence policies that will allow them to grow responsibly in a way that will decouple their economic growth from rising greenhouse gas emissions,” Harrell continued.

With growing cloud-computing needs, in preparation for the iPad, Apple purchased a data center in South Carolina that Technology Business Research analyst Ezra Gottheil told eWEEK is “much larger than its existing facilities.”

Facebook also recently announced it will be building a data center in Prineville, Oregon, that will run primarily on coal. In doing so, it missed an opportunity, Greenpeace said, to incentive the use of renewable energy. Offering an example, Yahoo, however, built a data center outside of Buffalo, New York, that’s partly powered by energy from a hydroelectric power plant.

“ICT sector holds many of the keys to reaching our climate goals by innovating solutions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase energy efficiency,” Harrell said. “Technologies that enable smart grids, zero-emissions buildings and more efficient transport systems are central to efforts to combat climate change. But [given] the projected size of the cloud at current pace, IT must also get their own carbon footprint under control.”

In truth, Greenpeace states on its site, it’s not really picking on Apple or “dissing the iPad,” but trying to ask the important questions.

“Apple is the master of promotion, and while we marvel at the sleek unpolluted design of the iPad, we need to think about where this is all leading,” Greenpeace writes, “and how like all good surfers we can make sure our environment stays clean and green.”

The Greenpeace report, “Make IT Green: Cloud Computing and its Contribution to Climate Change,” is available as a free download on the company’s site.

Spread the word  Stumble It! -  Digg it! -  reddit

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: The Apple-IPAD causes global warming
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:20:54 AM »
If data centers and telecommunication networks, the two key components of the cloud, continue to grow at current rates, by 2020, they’ll consume more than half the current electricity use in the United States, or more than France, Germany, Canada and Brazil combined.

Something to think about...
I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:22:41 AM »
If data centers and telecommunication networks, the two key components of the cloud, continue to grow at current rates, by 2020, they’ll consume more than half the current electricity use in the United States, or more than France, Germany, Canada and Brazil combined.

Something to think about...

Who gives a rats ass about bogus nonsense from people the green scaremongers? 

Apple employs people, pays taxes, improves peoples' lives, and contributes to the economy. 

the enviro-freak show should just off themselves. 

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:25:52 AM »
I had a cellular contract with At&T a few months ago...However, i cancelled the contract because i was getting the worst service imaginable..It;s because all the data IPod's are using.  None the less AT&T allowed me to get out of my contract without charging any fees.

i figured when the iPAD came out..You wouldn't be able to make a phone call without it breaking up..However, it is scary that these devices have such a big carbon foot print..(if you belive that stuff).

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:28:19 AM »
I had a cellular contract with At&T a few months ago...However, i cancelled the contract because i was getting the worst service imaginable..It;s because all the data IPod's are using.  None the less AT&T allowed me to get out of my contract without charging any fees.

i figured when the iPAD came out..You wouldn't be able to make a phone call without it breaking up..However, it is scary that these devices have such a big carbon foot print..(if you belive that stuff).

Fine, turn off your tv, turn off your phone and ipod, bike to work, live by candle light, turn off the computer, and dont heat your home. 

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 08:32:40 AM »
Fine, turn off your tv, turn off your phone and ipod, bike to work, live by candle light, turn off the computer, and dont heat your home. 

i don't believe in the scam that is Global Warming....However, At&T has terrible phone service, due to the amount of data the Iphone uses..That's why i left them..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 08:34:21 AM »
i don't believe in the scam that is Global Warming....However, At&T has terrible phone service, due to the amount of data the Iphone uses..That's why i left them..

I heard that is going to change and apple is going with verizon soon. 

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 08:39:30 AM »

The AT&T reps told me the reason why i was having problems was that they were building 2 new cell towers next to where i live...I was losing about 6 out of every 10 calls . They told me the towers were only going to be finished in septemeber 2010.  

Well, having the iphone with other carriers should help the problem..However, it's going to take a while to get the network back to 100%..
You figured they are still signing up people, and now this devices is going to come out...

I heard the problem is even worse in NYC...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:42:46 AM »
heard there was an app for the Iphone that allows you to use the internet to make phone calls so if you have a wifi connection or connect to a network you can use your phone without using minutes...pretty cool.

Only good thing about the iphone imho is the user friendliness and the applications...as soon as more apps come out for other devices many ppl will jump ship on apple

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 08:44:52 AM »
heard there was an app for the Iphone that allows you to use the internet to make phone calls so if you have a wifi connection or connect to a network you can use your phone without using minutes...pretty cool.

Only good thing about the iphone imho is the user friendliness and the applications...as soon as more apps come out for other devices many ppl will jump ship on apple

Ya, it cost 15 dollars a month for unlimited talk, using a second line from within your iphone, using WIFI..So you could downgrade to the cheaper AT&T plan and have unlimited talk..However, you need to use a different phone number as well..

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 09:03:58 AM »

Ya, it cost 15 dollars a month for unlimited talk, using a second line from within your iphone, using WIFI..So you could downgrade to the cheaper AT&T plan and have unlimited talk..However, you need to use a different phone number as well..
huh? just thought of this, could you not have an Iphone that isnt in service simply buy that app and use the Iphone only in wifi areas?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 09:07:32 AM »

The verizon rumor has been around for awhile, but I wouldn't bank on it anytime soon.
Y

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »
huh? just thought of this, could you not have an Iphone that isnt in service simply buy that app and use the Iphone only in wifi areas?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/technology/personaltech/25pogue.html

i think that would work, as long as you pay the 14.99 monthly subscription fee for line2 service

It can save you money. It can make calls where AT&T’s signal is weak, like indoors. It can turn an iPod Touch into a full-blown cellphone.

Well, not quite free; Line2 service costs $15 a month (after a 30-day free trial).

But here’s one of those cases where spending more could save you money. If you’re in a Wi-Fi hot spot most of the time (at work, for example), that’s an awful lot of calling you can do in Wi-Fi — probably enough to downgrade your AT&T plan to one that gives you fewer minutes. If you’re on the 900-minute or unlimited plan ($90 or $100 a month), for example, you might be able to get away with the 450-minute plan ($70). Even with Line2’s fee, you’re saving $5 or $15 a month.

Line2 also lets you call overseas phone numbers for Skype-like rates: 2 to 5 cents a minute to most countries. (A full table of rates is available at toktumi.com.) As a handy globetrotters’ bonus, calls home to numbers in the United States from overseas hot spots are free.

All of these benefits come to you when you’re in a Wi-Fi hot spot, because your calls are carried by the Internet instead of by AT&T. Interestingly enough, though, Line2 can also make Internet calls even when you’re not in a hot spot.

It can, at your option, place calls over AT&T’s 3G data network, where it’s available. Every iPhone plan includes unlimited use of this 3G network — it’s how your iPhone sends e-mail and surfs the Web. So once again, Line2 calls don’t use up any of your monthly voice minutes.

Unfortunately, voice connections on the 3G network aren’t as strong and reliable as the voice or Wi-Fi methods. Cellular data networks aren’t made for seamless handoffs from cell tower to tower as you drive, for example — there’s not much need for it if you’re just doing e-mail and Web — so dropped calls are more likely. Fortunately, if you’re on a 3G data-network call and you walk into a hot spot, Line2 switches to the more reliable Wi-Fi network seamlessly, in midcall.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
http://www.toktumi.com/WhyToktumi.aspx

here's the website to the phone...The offer land-line service as well me thinks

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 09:48:36 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/technology/personaltech/25pogue.html

i think that would work, as long as you pay the 14.99 monthly subscription fee for line2 service

It can save you money. It can make calls where AT&T’s signal is weak, like indoors. It can turn an iPod Touch into a full-blown cellphone.

I dont understand how it turns your touch into a phone? I have a touch and it has not microphone and if I wanted to use it as such it would perpetually be on speaker phone?

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
I dont understand how it turns your touch into a phone? I have a touch and it has not microphone and if I wanted to use it as such it would perpetually be on speaker phone?

Looks like it will work on itouch according to this source

http://www.geardiary.com/2010/03/25/line2-gives-iphone-a-2nd-line-and-turns-the-ipod-touch-into-a-phone/
After I had tried the application and made a test call to Larry using my iPhone and found that it had worked great he asked whether or not it would work on the iPod touch. I wasn’t sure so I downloaded it to my iPod touch, opened the application, plugged in a headset and made a call to Larry. Low and behold it placed a phone call and the quality was superb. We then experimented with the application a little bit further. I kept the application open on the iPod touch but closed and locked the device. When Larry called the iPod touch rang. I simply brought the device out of sleep mode and answered the call. I then close the application and Larry called a third time. This time the call was automatically rerouted to my iPhone. That means I can use the application on the touch and, if the application isn’t running, I will still get the phone call or the message thanks to it rerouting to the iPhone. Yes, there have been voice over IP applications for months now but this one works far better than any that I have tried.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
I bet your lives have not improved much with your money hogging flip-doodle phones.  Its telephone foolery at its best.
I Love The True Adon

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »
I bet your lives have not improved much with your money hogging flip-doodle phones.  Its telephone foolery at its best.
yes perhaps we should devote more time to watching book tv and reading adolf hitler?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »
Looks like it will work on itouch according to this source

http://www.geardiary.com/2010/03/25/line2-gives-iphone-a-2nd-line-and-turns-the-ipod-touch-into-a-phone/
After I had tried the application and made a test call to Larry using my iPhone and found that it had worked great he asked whether or not it would work on the iPod touch. I wasn’t sure so I downloaded it to my iPod touch, opened the application, plugged in a headset and made a call to Larry. Low and behold it placed a phone call and the quality was superb. We then experimented with the application a little bit further. I kept the application open on the iPod touch but closed and locked the device. When Larry called the iPod touch rang. I simply brought the device out of sleep mode and answered the call. I then close the application and Larry called a third time. This time the call was automatically rerouted to my iPhone. That means I can use the application on the touch and, if the application isn’t running, I will still get the phone call or the message thanks to it rerouting to the iPhone. Yes, there have been voice over IP applications for months now but this one works far better than any that I have tried.
I was thinking the same thing about the head set...maybe it simply works with a head set....not a bad deal really except for someone like me without an iphone only a touch id have to carry around my touch with me. Im usually for the most part in areas with wifi but Id have to carry around my phone and my touch with me...not worth it just yet but we are definitely heading in the right direction

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
I do like the technology and am glad someone is purchasing it though.  It helps further progress.

I just don`t see any advantage over a lap top which can have incredible hardware whereas with this silly thing, you are entirely limited.  Plus the screen is tiny but just big enough to be annoying that you can`t really tote it around any different than you would a Lap Top.
I Love The True Adon

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
I do like the technology and am glad someone is purchasing it though.  It helps further progress.

I just don`t see any advantage over a lap top which can have incredible hardware whereas with this silly thing, you are entirely limited.  Plus the screen is tiny but just big enough to be annoying that you can`t really tote it around any different than you would a Lap Top.
are you refering to the IPAD or the IPHONE/TOUCH?

we had moved on to talking about a specific application for the Iphone/touch

I agree with you if youre talking about the Ipad was thinking the same thing

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »

Coming from somebody posting on an internet message board...this is too rich.