Author Topic: GA / occasionally Soulcrusher training thread  (Read 512470 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Grape Ape sits around and shrinks
« Reply #350 on: February 17, 2015, 06:51:49 AM »
The difference between this time and last is that I don't feel like have over use pains and issues like I did before.   

Yeah, I get that.  Same thing happened to me between 1st and 2nd TM.  Difference in performance was staggering.  You're going to ace this, as long as you avoid hypothermia.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2015, 07:09:50 AM »
Yeah, I get that.  Same thing happened to me between 1st and 2nd TM.  Difference in performance was staggering.  You're going to ace this, as long as you avoid hypothermia.

The thing about the cold weather events is that they force you to tap into other areas of mental and physical strength to make it through.   Makes it for a much more fulfilling experience once its over and afterwards in terms of knowing what you can and can't deal with. 

Everyone is a superstar in the gym when its warm, fresh, clean, and you are not up for 24 hours straight and tired and hungry.  Cold Wet and Tired will humble anyone - I don't care how big tough and jacked anyone thinks they are.   

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2015, 07:19:03 AM »
The thing about the cold weather events is that they force you to tap into other areas of mental and physical strength to make it through.   Makes it for a much more fulfilling experience once its over and afterwards in terms of knowing what you can and can't deal with. 

Everyone is a superstar in the gym when its warm, fresh, clean, and you are not up for 24 hours straight and tired and hungry.  Cold Wet and Tired will humble anyone - I don't care how big tough and jacked anyone thinks they are.   

I agree.

It's going to be interesting, for sure.  Last week they didn't even want people walking the streets here.   A lot of places are covered in four feet of snow.  The conditions could substantially impact what the cadres were planning originally.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: February 17, 2015, 07:27:24 AM »
I agree.

It's going to be interesting, for sure.  Last week they didn't even want people walking the streets here.   A lot of places are covered in four feet of snow.  The conditions could substantially impact what the cadres were planning originally.

Whatever its gonna be - its gonna be cold and wet for a long time. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #354 on: February 17, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »
Had first shoulder PT....sling removed permanently already, and ROM was ridiculous - almost 90%.  Last shoulder had 15% ROM at this time.......
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #355 on: February 17, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
90 minutes ruck - 7.5 miles

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #356 on: February 17, 2015, 06:48:41 PM »
90 minutes ruck - 7.5 miles

12 min shuffle miles?  Damn.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: February 18, 2015, 04:33:43 AM »
12 min shuffle miles?  Damn.

Was 2 minutes at 4.1 followed by 1 minute at 6.1 for 45 minutes

2 minutes at 4.2 followed by 1 minute at 6.2 for 45 minutes

I'm going to try next time ramping up the 1 minute pace to 6.5 next time while keeping the 4.1-4.2 pace for the 2 minutes.   

I did get annoying pain in my traps though that hurt like a mofo but immediately went away once workout was over.  .   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: February 18, 2015, 04:56:36 AM »
Tonight -

P - P - S pyramid

30 minutes - HIIT - leg PT mostly - step ups - bear crawls - pop ups (GREAT EXERCISE!) - crab walks - duck walks  - lunges etc. 

Two really great exercises you guys should try are pop ups and a variation of the same -  Try to get 20 of each in as minute

1)  Basically stand straight up - go to the floor so you are lying on your stomach and just pop up to your feet.  Do 20 in a minute.  I guess its like a reverse burpee

2)  Strand straight up  - go down to both knees and stand back up.   do 20 in a minute.   I do 5 - 5 - 5 - 5    - its a leg burner for sure and works a lot of stabilizing muscles. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: February 19, 2015, 06:33:24 AM »
Pull up oush up sit up pyramid.   20 minutes done! 

35 minutes of HIIT -

10 sets.     1 min jumpig jacks.  1 min plank.  1 min flutter kicks

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:12 AM »
Don´t worry Grape you´ll be back with a vengence ;)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2015, 07:10:08 AM »

How do the females do in this competition???

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #362 on: February 19, 2015, 07:14:05 AM »
Don´t worry Grape you´ll be back with a vengence ;)

Thanks, buddy.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2015, 07:15:10 AM »

Since I haven't done one, I can't speak to it.

BUT, I can tell you from what I saw online with this group, most of them were pretty hot and in shape.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: February 19, 2015, 07:47:12 AM »

You never know.    Most ate tough and stubborn and refuse to quit.   Seen a lot of big dudes quit .    You never really know.    Cold Wet Tired Hungry is somethinh you never know how you will deal with it until it happens. 

A lot of big dudes who think they are tough cant deal w failure and mind quits on them.   

Like i said - everyone is superstar when its dry warm fredh and you are well rested and fed

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: February 19, 2015, 07:51:42 AM »
You never know.    Most ate tough and stubborn and refuse to quit.   Seen a lot of big dudes quit .    You never really know.    Cold Wet Tired Hungry is somethinh you never know how you will deal with it until it happens. 

A lot of big dudes who think they are tough cant deal w failure and mind quits on them.   

Like i said - everyone is superstar when its dry warm fredh and you are well rested and fed

in terms of weight do the females carry less or the same as men?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: February 19, 2015, 07:59:30 AM »
in terms of weight do the females carry less or the same as men?

For Heavy wveryone rhe same usually.   35lbs dry - but when you add water 3 L it cpmes out to about 40 lbs.

The challenge and light are a little diffrtent but the women i have seen do these get through mainly because they refuse to quit and give up mainly.   

The ones who do the best are usually the ones who oift weights and carry some muscle on their frame.   Slinny ones always quit cause thry dont have the wherewithall to make it over the time duration.  Same for skinny guys and runner types.   They get crushed under the logs and weight

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #367 on: February 19, 2015, 08:02:34 AM »
For Heavy wveryone rhe same usually.   35lbs dry - but when you add water 3 L it cpmes out to about 40 lbs.

The challenge and light are a little diffrtent but the women i have seen do these get through mainly because they refuse to quit and give up mainly.   

The ones who do the best are usually the ones who oift weights and carry some muscle on their frame.   Slinny ones always quit cause thry dont have the wherewithall to make it over the time duration.  Same for skinny guys and runner types.   They get crushed under the logs and weight

interesting...how many of these have you done and have you ever quit?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: February 19, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
interesting...how many of these have you done and have you ever quit?

I came close once - and learned my lesson after that.  We were freezing cold just standing around which sucks worse than FNG anything.  They told us we were going bAck into the water for more beatdown.  We had been destroyed for a few hours about 4 hours previously in this nasty creek.  I let my mind start going - and was like "F that - I'm done if we go back in there".  A few dudes quit as we were walking towards the water and I snapped out of my mind funk.   

Was this event.   This thing went almost 30 hours straight and dudes were quitting all the way to the last 5 minutes   

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #369 on: February 19, 2015, 11:40:01 AM »

I thought if you weighed under 150 you only had to start with 25lbs dry
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: February 19, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »

Yeah - but guess what - USUALLY - just in my experience - you get a group message the day or two before that no one better show up light or the whole team is FD

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: February 19, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »

Here is the thing though - the amount of weight the team has to carry over the 24 hours in a Heavy is insane,  literally everyone is carrying a lot of shit.  So the lighter people get F'D bad since carrying a 60-80 lbs sandbag for 5-10 miles straight a lot easier for a 185lbs guy than a 135lbs guy

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #372 on: February 20, 2015, 03:00:08 AM »
I came close once - and learned my lesson after that.  We were freezing cold just standing around which sucks worse than FNG anything.  They told us we were going bAck into the water for more beatdown.  We had been destroyed for a few hours about 4 hours previously in this nasty creek.  I let my mind start going - and was like "F that - I'm done if we go back in there".  A few dudes quit as we were walking towards the water and I snapped out of my mind funk.   

Was this event.   This thing went almost 30 hours straight and dudes were quitting all the way to the last 5 minutes   

What drives that - did the cadre get pissed or was it just someone who was just sadistic that day?
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: February 20, 2015, 05:28:46 AM »
What drives that - did the cadre get pissed or was it just someone who was just sadistic that day?

Was at Ft. Bragg and just is what it is - prepare for anything and DFQ

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #374 on: February 20, 2015, 06:13:16 AM »
Was at Ft. Bragg and just is what it is - prepare for anything and DFQ

What month was that - since my event has been moved to Sept 4th, I'm hoping it's now not a freezing cold one.

Been thinking about SPD - if the cadre is hell bent on water, the only thing I think he can hit are the beaches in southie.  Everything else is ice.
Y