Author Topic: GA / occasionally Soulcrusher training thread  (Read 512471 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: GA / occasionally Soulcrusher training thread
« Reply #850 on: August 08, 2017, 04:44:25 AM »
Yeah, I remember you were putting up some quick times when I was last on here. 11-minute miles with 50lbs is a good, quick time. When I was last doing it I was running the entire distance at a fast pace, but I forget exactly what it was. I'll need to download Runkeeper again and have a look.

You don't want to run long distances with weight.   A shuffle pace mixed w fast walk best way to huff it out.  I do usually 100 pace intervals if I am trying to make a great time.   If i want to stay at 15 minutes pace - its a brisk walk pace, which is fine. 

Meta-physical

« Reply #851 on: August 08, 2017, 05:03:11 AM »
Yeah, when I do it purely for my own cardio I like to just put some lightweight boots on and do the classic speed march-style walk/run intervals. I've suffered some bad wear and tear and had to undergo leg surgery before from the endurance stuff, so I wouldn't push it now unless it was a requirement.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #852 on: August 08, 2017, 05:06:13 AM »
Yeah, when I do it purely for my own cardio I like to just put some lightweight boots on and do the classic speed march-style walk/run intervals. I've suffered some bad wear and tear and had to undergo leg surgery before from the endurance stuff, so I wouldn't push it now unless it was a requirement.

One of my main priorities now is injury prevention and avoidance - so hear you 100%. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #853 on: August 08, 2017, 05:13:52 AM »

Truth be told - at 42 - im probably close to my all time best condition and shape ever after a few months of hardcore HIIT and adding in rucking a few times a week.   

No plans to change anything up for now. 

Meta-physical

« Reply #854 on: August 08, 2017, 06:18:06 AM »
Truth be told - at 42 - im probably close to my all time best condition and shape ever after a few months of hardcore HIIT and adding in rucking a few times a week.   

No plans to change anything up for now. 

That's reassuring to hear. I've been feeling really lethargic and uninterested in training for a little while now. Still working out most days but purely as a matter of self-respect. I assumed my hormone levels must have plummeted but I've tested them recently and they're perfect - natural test is still very high. I think I've just been so preoccupied with other things that I've lost motivation. Getting back up some hills with some weight on my back will be a good way to unwind and make it enjoyable again, I hope.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #855 on: August 08, 2017, 06:21:30 AM »
That's reassuring to hear. I've been feeling really lethargic and uninterested in training for a little while now. Still working out most days but purely as a matter of self-respect. I assumed my hormone levels must have plummeted but I've tested them recently and they're perfect - natural test is still very high. I think I've just been so preoccupied with other things that I've lost motivation. Getting back up some hills with some weight on my back will be a good way to unwind and make it enjoyable again, I hope.

All I need to do is look to my left and right for motivation.   Don't want to be that

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #856 on: August 08, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »
I worked out arms at a brand new 24 Hour Fitness center at 7:00 last night. It is located about 3 miles from my house making really convenient. Working out at a new and unfamiliar facility can be challenging. It takes awhile to find the equipment I want to use (if they even have it). Because this fitness center has only been open a week, it was crowded, but for some reason, I did not have to wait to use anything I needed for my workout. There were a couple of pluses; The equipment all new, it is state of the art and in perfect condition. There's some equipment I've not seen or used before. I'll be giving some of it a try tonight.

The workout was good, not great. When using new machines, I never know what weight I should use, so I use a lower the resistance and adjusted it for the remaining sets. Because I have been lax about hitting the gym this summer, the lower resistance was probably a good thing....I'll know tomorrow because it is usually the second day after a workout that I will feel sore.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #857 on: August 08, 2017, 05:42:42 PM »

I've become a big fan of focusing on big body parts and supersettimg w smaller ones - so that overall volume over the course of the workout is a lot higher .  More work = more results

I worked out arms at a brand new 24 Hour Fitness center at 7:00 last night. It is located about 3 miles from my house making really convenient. Working out at a new and unfamiliar facility can be challenging. It takes awhile to find the equipment I want to use (if they even have it). Because this fitness center has only been open a week, it was crowded, but for some reason, I did not have to wait to use anything I needed for my workout. There were a couple of pluses; The equipment all new, it is state of the art and in perfect condition. There's some equipment I've not seen or used before. I'll be giving some of it a try tonight.

The workout was good, not great. When using new machines, I never know what weight I should use, so I use a lower the resistance and adjusted it for the remaining sets. Because I have been lax about hitting the gym this summer, the lower resistance was probably a good thing....I'll know tomorrow because it is usually the second day after a workout that I will feel sore.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #858 on: August 08, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
I've become a big fan of focusing on big body parts and supersettimg w smaller ones - so that overall volume over the course of the workout is a lot higher .  More work = more results

Good for you. I'd like more results too, but at nearly 73, I'm happy to still be able to climb the stairs at the gym. Why do they put all the workout equipment on the second floor?  ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #859 on: August 09, 2017, 04:16:30 AM »
Good for you. I'd like more results too, but at nearly 73, I'm happy to still be able to climb the stairs at the gym. Why do they put all the workout equipment on the second floor?  ;D

Use the stairs as a rest set.   In between sets - walk up and down the stairs.  Over the course of an hour think of the difference in calorie burn, cardio, etc. 

I have been gyms most of life and see what most do - most do a set - sit down - go on the phone, etc.  After 60 minutes - they really didnt do all that much. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #860 on: August 09, 2017, 07:37:47 AM »
I could not even imagine doing just BB stuff anymore.  What a damn waste of energy.  I do probably 30-45 minutes of Upper body every 4-5 days and thats all I need.  But I go hardcore all out.  Same for legs -

In between - im doing cardio, weight vest stuff, jump rope, rucking, you name it.   I have been adding in more core stuff like high and low planks w 40lbs weight vest, mountain climbers, overhead holds, farmer carries, etc. 

Who the hell could possibly be doing just BB stuff any more unless you have a show coming up? 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #861 on: August 09, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »
I could not even imagine doing just BB stuff anymore.  What a damn waste of energy.  I do probably 30-45 minutes of Upper body every 4-5 days and thats all I need.  But I go hardcore all out.  Same for legs -

In between - im doing cardio, weight vest stuff, jump rope, rucking, you name it.   I have been adding in more core stuff like high and low planks w 40lbs weight vest, mountain climbers, overhead holds, farmer carries, etc. 

Who the hell could possibly be doing just BB stuff any more unless you have a show coming up? 

I agree, outside of the strength portion of something, no reason to stop moving....an hour workout should be a hour of work....
Y

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #862 on: August 09, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »
Use the stairs as a rest set.   In between sets - walk up and down the stairs.  Over the course of an hour think of the difference in calorie burn, cardio, etc. 

I have been gyms most of life and see what most do - most do a set - sit down - go on the phone, etc.  After 60 minutes - they really didnt do all that much. 

I've worked out since I was 16, mostly at various gyms and I've noticed the same as you've noticed, a lot of people spend way too much time resting between reps and sets. This has become more prevalent since cell phones came on the scene. I hate it when I'm waiting to use a piece of equipment and the person on it spends what seems like several minutes between sets checking their phones. My cell phone stays in the locker.

Another thing that really slows folks down is working out in a group of three or more. They tie up the equipment for way too long.

Patience is not my long suit. 

I try to keep my workout time on the floor to 45 minutes and never more than an hour. While doing my routine, I rest not more than 30 seconds between reps and maybe a minute max between sets. I do cardio at the end of the session so as not to sap my energy.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #863 on: August 09, 2017, 06:26:14 PM »
Odd day:

I have a few training sessions left so this morning:

1/2 mile run
20 min stretched / core / mobility
15 min power clean technique work
10 min setting one arm db snatch max
15 min rolling...

Went back at night for soflete, which unfortunately was big on the shoulders this time......

3 min row
2 sets:
KB one arm upright row x 10
Scap push up x 10
Walking overhead KB hold.
Band series

Bench 4 sets of 18 reps / superset light/strict behind the neck press x 5

4 x 10 of plyo push ups....(was supposed to have superset with dips too but fuck that, shoulders had enough today)

5 min row - 30 sec max effort / 30 sec maintenance pace

4 min max run

plyo box set jumping.

Good thing the stamina pieces were short tonight.

Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #864 on: August 10, 2017, 04:51:53 AM »
Odd day:

I have a few training sessions left so this morning:

1/2 mile run
20 min stretched / core / mobility
15 min power clean technique work
10 min setting one arm db snatch max
15 min rolling...

Went back at night for soflete, which unfortunately was big on the shoulders this time......

3 min row
2 sets:
KB one arm upright row x 10
Scap push up x 10
Walking overhead KB hold.
Band series

Bench 4 sets of 18 reps / superset light/strict behind the neck press x 5

4 x 10 of plyo push ups....(was supposed to have superset with dips too but fuck that, shoulders had enough today)

5 min row - 30 sec max effort / 30 sec maintenance pace

4 min max run

plyo box set jumping.

Good thing the stamina pieces were short tonight.

Are you going to stick with it?

Last night I did 10 x 6 sort of like this

1 Minute Jump Rope
30 Sec tire Flips (8x)  30 Sec Dead Lift (12)  all with the 200lb tire 
30 Sec DB Snatch w 60lbs (3x each hand)  30 Sec - Squat + Upright Row w DB (3x each hand)
1 Minute  - varied shit like farmer carries, pull ups, dips, overhead holds, etc - each of the 10 sets did something different
1 Minute - Mountain Climbers or 1 minute Sit Ups
1 Minute Rest

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #865 on: August 10, 2017, 05:29:54 AM »

Are you going to stick with it?

Last night I did 10 x 6 sort of like this

1 Minute Jump Rope
30 Sec tire Flips (8x)  30 Sec Dead Lift (12)  all with the 200lb tire 
30 Sec DB Snatch w 60lbs (3x each hand)  30 Sec - Squat + Upright Row w DB (3x each hand)
1 Minute  - varied shit like farmer carries, pull ups, dips, overhead holds, etc - each of the 10 sets did something different
1 Minute - Mountain Climbers or 1 minute Sit Ups
1 Minute Rest

I'm going to do another cycle of it, but I need to pick which one.  I'm going to train 8 straight days until vacation, then I will pick the one when I return.

3 main reasons:

- I don't have to think about it - just show up and do what they say (except the stretching)
- There's a pattern to the exercise - bodypart focus is moved around
- It's kind of fun swiping to the next thing during a workout and going "oh shit".....
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #866 on: August 10, 2017, 05:34:52 AM »
I'm going to do another cycle of it, but I need to pick which one.  I'm going to train 8 straight days until vacation, then I will pick the one when I return.

3 main reasons:

- I don't have to think about it - just show up and do what they say (except the stretching)
- There's a pattern to the exercise - bodypart focus is moved around
- It's kind of fun swiping to the next thing during a workout and going "oh shit".....

I ordered the Dreamcatcher for 2 dudes i know just learned wife pregnant  - lol

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #867 on: August 10, 2017, 05:57:35 AM »
I ordered the Dreamcatcher for 2 dudes i know just learned wife pregnant  - lol

Lol.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #868 on: August 11, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
Tough one today - conditioning circuit was brutal.  All strength sets are 18 reps too.

1/2 mile run
2 sets each:
20 walking lunge
10 banded RDL
8 Banded side walk
8 kneeling KB press
8 Goblet squat

4 sets x 18 reps front squat, superset 10 hanging leg raises

5 sets RDL x 5 reps superset 10 banded monster walk

8 sets as fast as possible:
Hex deadlift @ 235 x 5
8 climbovers on 53" box
15 KB swings @ 50lbs

Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #869 on: August 13, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »
Finally finished the week of all the 18 rep shit yesterday:

Kneeling KB press x 5 per
Walking OH KB hold
Band pull apart series

4 x 18 strict standing db press, superset 10 wide grip pullups

4 x 12 strict behind the neck press very light

Sandbag throw, 20 push up - 3 sets

Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #870 on: August 13, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »
Long ruck.   No gym.  Tommorow back at it.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #871 on: August 14, 2017, 06:10:10 AM »
Long ruck.   No gym.  Tommorow back at it.

For some reason, thought my program was done....guess it goes 12 weeks...
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #872 on: August 15, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »
Travel is going to screw up Soflete for two weeks, so I'm going to improvise.  Yesterday:

1 mile easy run
100 step ups with 26 pounds
10 jumping pullup to burpee
20 sprints @ 20 sec on 20 sec off  (4:15 min - 6 min pace)
1 /2 mile recovery jog
5 - 10 sec sprints / 20 sec off 14-15 mph
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #873 on: August 15, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
Travel is going to screw up Soflete for two weeks, so I'm going to improvise.  Yesterday:

1 mile easy run
100 step ups with 26 pounds
10 jumping pullup to burpee
20 sprints @ 20 sec on 20 sec off  (4:15 min - 6 min pace)
1 /2 mile recovery jog
5 - 10 sec sprints / 20 sec off 14-15 mph

Nice - bro - i am addicted to TBNN

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #874 on: August 15, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »
Nice - bro - i am addicted to TBNN

Me too.

I realized last night I had trained almost 10 days straight and probably should have taken a day off.
Y