Author Topic: GETBIGGERS WITH DOGS (SERIOUS FOOD RECALL) MY DOG GOT SICK!  (Read 27797 times)

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
GETBIGGERS WITH DOGS (SERIOUS FOOD RECALL) MY DOG GOT SICK!
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:45:24 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2963443&page=1

Here you can get a list of all the recalled food.  Science diet and Iams, 2 of the best brands are among them (OVER 100 brands).  My 1 dog stopped eating a week ago and was throwing up, luckily I found this out about the recall.  He's eating rice and ground beef until They fix this, and he's been better.

Hope this helps.
Most are all show no go!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: GETBIGGERS WITH DOGS (SERIOUS FOOD RECALL) MY DOG GOT SICK!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 05:58:40 AM »
From that link:

Becker says that despite the recall, most of the foods on the shelf, regardless of price, are typically safe for pets' consumption.

"With the sheer number of pets being fed commercial pet food, this is a very small problem so far," he says.

Given the attachment people have to their pets and the number of rifles in the US, Mr. Becker may not be long for this world with comments like that.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 05:59:58 AM »
if you stick to proteinshakes this would never happen
Z

LAMA-PAI

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Censored! BY RON AND THE GETBIG CABAL !
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 06:01:39 AM »
I CANT STAND DOG OWNERS ! DOGS ARE COOL ! :-\
CENSORED BY RON !

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 06:14:53 AM »
I love dogs but hate people with dogs that don't clean up after their dog!  >:(
It hasn't helped...

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 06:17:21 AM »
Science diet and Iams, 2 of the best brands are among them (OVER 100 brands). 

Science Death and Iams are in the lower half of the crap in a bag rankings!  :-X

Find a food with preferably 4 out of 4, or min 3 out of 4, of the first ingredients are MEAT based. 

If I have to recommend a *hurl* kibble, I go with the "Chicken Soup for the Pet lovers Soul" line. 

Or better yet, go to your butchers or grocery meat department and feed them some REAL food like a carnivore is designed to eat. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 06:25:24 AM »
I've often wondered about this.

Everyday, our dog gets meat of some kind (real meat, not processed shit) and dry food.  Does a dog need carbs too?  As carnivores, they'd survive on a protein/fat diet, but would they do as well?

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 06:27:24 AM »
im a proud owner of a american stafford. i feed him with hill's science Plan, its formulated with lamb and rice. He hates the food and only eats it when really hungry end of the day. i quess he s spoiled with our real food that we give him from now and then.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 06:27:51 AM »

If I have to recommend a *hurl* kibble, I go with the "Chicken Soup for the Pet lovers Soul" line. 

Flower, do you recommend the "Chicken Soup" line over "Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance" Chicken and Brown Rice?

R

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 06:28:40 AM »
Dont feed a dog too much real beef.  Many dogs can develop skin problems similar to mange.
It hasn't helped...

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 06:28:53 AM »
you have to know what the parents of the dog were eatin, you have to give your dog she same food. hope this helps.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 06:31:57 AM »
im a proud owner of a american stafford. i feed him with hill's science Plan, its formulated with lamb and rice. He hates the food and only eats it when really hungry end of the day. i quess he s spoiled with our real food that we give him from now and then.

You mean there is food left after you eat!!! :o :o :o
I

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 06:39:15 AM »
Most dog foods that are sold in supermarkets are crap. If the first list in the ingredients is meat- by -products don't buy it. Meat- by- products mean everything on the cow except meat. It could be anything found on the slaughterhouse floor. It is crap and you wouldn't want that shit in your house. It is not FDA approved.

Only buy dogfood or catfood that list FDA approved meat as its first ingredient.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 06:40:30 AM »
I've often wondered about this.

Everyday, our dog gets meat of some kind (real meat, not processed shit) and dry food.  Does a dog need carbs too?  As carnivores, they'd survive on a protein/fat diet, but would they do as well?

They do BETTER on a CARNIVORE diet.  Dogs don't digest and utilize grains. 

He hates it cause he knows it sucks and is not for a carnivore.

Dont feed a dog too much real beef.  Many dogs can develop skin problems similar to mange.

huh?     a dog needs a variety and bones, and beef bones are usually too hard to be consumed so other animals need to be fed along with offals.   But developing mange?  I could see skin problems if someone just fed beef muscle and no bones or offals.

you have to know what the parents of the dog were eatin, you have to give your dog she same food. hope this helps.

Are you for real?   :-\     No you don't have to feed the same thing.  You can even take a pup off of crap-in-a-bag and feed him real food. 

Flower, do you recommend the "Chicken Soup" line over "Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance" Chicken and Brown Rice?
Yes, I believe his line only has 2 of the first four as meat.

we REALLY need a pets board to stop this insanity!!!   >:(

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Most dog foods that are sold in supermarkets are crap. If the first list in the ingredients is meat- by -products don't buy it. Meat- by- products mean everything on the cow except meat. It could be anything found on the slaughterhouse floor. It is crap and you wouldn't want that shit in your house. It is not FDA approved.

Only buy dogfood or catfood that list FDA approved meat as its first ingredient.

This is true, both cat & dog food. Science, Iams, Eukanuba etc. are the best of the mid-level brands, which isn't known to some who buy it or they're unwilling to pay a little more for lesser known alternatives. The better ones aren't that much more money IMO, especially if bought in bulk & are found at pet stores. Doesn't mean the better brands aren't suceptible to future problems like this, but for now they seem ok.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 06:44:58 AM »

Too late, my pet!

Ya, the vet said to keep the meat but decrease (but not eliminate) the dry food (which is a good brand), since the dog has grown... shall we say, "plump."

And no, he does not resemble his owner.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 06:45:29 AM »

Maybe this is the new pet's board? :)

R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 06:45:52 AM »
This is true, both cat & dog food. Science, Iams, Eukanuba etc. are the best of the mid-level brands. The better ones aren't that much more money IMO, especially if bought in bulk.

Science Death, Eukapuka and Iams are NOT the best of mid-level.   But you are right, you could spend a little more on a *hurl* better quaility crap-in-a-bag, or you could spend the same or even less on REAL dog food and have a healthier dog (less vet bills), smaller poops, and the dog would enjoy eating it. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 06:46:55 AM »
Too late, my pet!

Ya, the vet said to keep the meat but decrease (but not eliminate) the dry food (which is a good brand), since the dog has grown... shall we say, "plump."

Dry vs. wet is very debatable; you could probably use a reduced version of dry just as well as using meat.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 06:47:11 AM »
Too late, my pet!

And no, he does not resemble his owner.

raw meats and kibbles digest at different rates.  By mixing them you could be asking for digestive problems.    Why not do the right thing and go raw dog.

:D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 06:48:19 AM »
Dry vs. wet is very debatable; you could probably use a reduced version of dry just as well as using meat.

kibble will NEVER compare feeding raw meat and bones.

stop spewing this nonsense
  >:(

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 06:49:12 AM »
Science Death, Eukapuka and Iams are NOT the best of mid-level.   But you are right, you could spend a little more on a *hurl* better quaility crap-in-a-bag, or you could spend the same or even less on REAL dog food and have a healthier dog (less vet bills), smaller poops, and the dog would enjoy eating it. 

They're the best of what's widely available and are mid-level.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 06:49:50 AM »

Why is your post count going up?!?!?!?!?!
I

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 06:51:15 AM »

Step off the soapbox and STFU; you are a vivid reminder that opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

Hope this helps

Dry is just fine given the relative few who are going to/can afford to use real food. Anything beyond that is mere opinion and should be framed as such.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 06:52:35 AM »
Step off the soapbox and STFU; you are a vivid reminder that opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

Hope this helps

Other way around ass hat...

Hope this helps.
I