Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Pet Board

California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls

<< < (4/47) > >>

jmt1:

--- Quote from: jaguarenterprises on July 08, 2006, 09:51:19 PM ---Hence the desire for the ban. There's no question the problem is with bad dog owners rather than the breed, however, bad dog owners only come to light AFTER a vicious attack. And in some cases, pits with good owners have attacked as well. We recently had a case here in Toronto where a pit bull attacked a little girl who she had played with for years. The girl grew up next to the dog, and had a great relationship with the dog and the dog owner. One day, the dog out of the blue attacked the little girl. The owner who was beside herself with grief had the dog put down. Pits have a jaw that locks, and that makes them especially dangerous.

--- End quote ---

i'm not saying your making that up but i would bet there is more to the story than that.

and pit bulls do not have jaws that lock...there in absolutely no mechanism for a pits jaw to lock....that is one of the many myths of the pit bull.

24KT:

--- Quote from: jmt1 on July 08, 2006, 09:58:03 PM ---i'm not saying your making that up but i would bet there is more to the story than that.
--- End quote ---

Yah there was. The pit bull had just had pups.

--- Quote ---and pit bulls do not have jaws that lock...there in absolutely no mechanism for a pits jaw to lock....that is one of the many myths of the pit bull.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for setting me straight.

jmt1:
heres just a couple of the myths about pit bulls.....

MYTH: All Pit Bulls are mean and vicious.

It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society that Pit Bulls had a passing rate of 82% or better -- compared to only 77% of the general dog population.

These temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers.

Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test. The achievement of Pit Bulls in this study disproves that they are inherently aggressive to people. (Please visit ATTS.org)

MYTH: A Pit Bull that shows aggression towards an animal will go for people next.

"Many working breeds have antipathy towards other animals - coonhounds go mad at the sight of a raccoon, foxhounds will not hesitate to tear a dog-like fox to shreds, greyhounds live to chase and maul rabbits and even dog-like coyotes. Even the ever-friendly beagle will slaughter a rabbit, given the chance.

And yet the greyhound, coon and foxhound and beagle are among the friendliest of breeds towards humans. And it is the same with the pit bulldog. His work through the years has been control of other animals - never humans. A correct pit bull is more often than not submissive toward all humans, and adores children.

MYTH: American Pit Bull Terriers lock their jaws.

Dr. Brisbin: "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog.

There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

MYTH: Pit Bulls brains swell/never stop growing.

This rumor started with the Doberman, and has since been said about game-bred dogs in general. The concept of an animal's brain swelling or growing too large and somehow causing the animal to "go crazy" is not based in truth in any way.

Their brains grow at the same rate as any other dog, and the only time that a Pit Bull's brain is going to swell is if it receives a serious injury. If an animal's brain were to grow too big for its head, the animal would die.

lilwoday09smb:
its stupid. i think little heel biters and jack russels should be banned they attack every damn time they see some 1. i have pits and there great dogs. i live in california aswell and i dont think this will pass.

gtbro1:
I think they are like people,some good some bad. I have also heard horror stories about Rotweilers,but the one or two that I have known have been very gentle and "MARMADUKE" like....if that makes sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version