Author Topic: US "rampage shootings" on par with rest of civilized world  (Read 494 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
US "rampage shootings" on par with rest of civilized world
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »
http://www.ijreview.com/2015/12/348197-paris-attack-claim-mass-shootings/

Don't know how accurate but interesting given that the US has more guns than these countries.

While in Paris for the climate change conference, President Obama commented on the Colorado Springs shooting that killed three people and injured nine others.

The president again made the claim that mass shootings don’t happen in other countries.

“I say this every time we have one of these mass shootings. This just doesn’t happen in other countries,” President Obama said.

The president made the statement in Paris, the site of a recent armed ISIS attack that killed 130 civilians, and the location of Charlie Hedbo magazine attacks that killed 12 people and injured 11 people in January.

So, are the president’s claims true?

The following is a chart of mass shooting statistics, when corrected for population. It shows that the U.S. has comparable frequency to other nations when accounting for its large population size. It should also be noted that the U.S. by far has most armed citizens in the world.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: US "rampage shootings" on par with rest of civilized world
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »
http://www.ijreview.com/2015/12/348197-paris-attack-claim-mass-shootings/

Don't know how accurate but interesting given that the US has more guns than these countries.

While in Paris for the climate change conference, President Obama commented on the Colorado Springs shooting that killed three people and injured nine others.

The president again made the claim that mass shootings don’t happen in other countries.

“I say this every time we have one of these mass shootings. This just doesn’t happen in other countries,” President Obama said.

The president made the statement in Paris, the site of a recent armed ISIS attack that killed 130 civilians, and the location of Charlie Hedbo magazine attacks that killed 12 people and injured 11 people in January.

So, are the president’s claims true?

The following is a chart of mass shooting statistics, when corrected for population. It shows that the U.S. has comparable frequency to other nations when accounting for its large population size. It should also be noted that the U.S. by far has most armed citizens in the world.

you don't know how accurate that is?

really

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:09:54 PM »
you don't know how accurate that is?

really

If you have something debunking it please do tell....

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
If you have something debunking it please do tell....

you're the one that brought it up

what's the definition of a "rampage shooting" ?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »
you're the one that brought it up

what's the definition of a "rampage shooting" ?

No clue I found this article from Wapo that seems to back up the claim that the idea that when you take into account population size the US is pretty average in terms of mass shootings

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/12/01/fact-check-obama-claim-that-i-say-this-every-time-weve-got-one-of-these-mass-shootings-this-just-doesnt-happen-in-other-countries/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »
No clue I found this article from Wapo that seems to back up the claim that the idea that when you take into account population size the US is pretty average in terms of mass shootings

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/12/01/fact-check-obama-claim-that-i-say-this-every-time-weve-got-one-of-these-mass-shootings-this-just-doesnt-happen-in-other-countries/

the only difference I see from that article is that the "rampage shooting" in other countries seem to almost always be terrrorism related i.e. carried out by armed insurgent types.

Those seem very rare in the US (San Bernadino being one obvious example) with the majority of our mass shooting being some disgruntled and possibly mentally ill white male.   

I guess one could argue that ANYONE with a gun shooting unarmed civilians is commiting an act of terrorism so the Sandy Hook shooter was a terrorist just like the shooters at Charlie Hebdo and the later Paris attacks.   

We had 372 "mass shootings" in the US last year according to this website (http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shootings/2015) and I guess all European countries, Canada etc.... probably had about the same number of incidents... more or less

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:45:38 PM »
I agree with the premise that shooting of unarmed civilians no matter what else you call it is terrorism. I think trying to delineate is a bit silly to be honest...A mass shooting is a mass shooting regardless of the ideology or thinking behind it.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
I agree with the premise that shooting of unarmed civilians no matter what else you call it is terrorism. I think trying to delineate is a bit silly to be honest...A mass shooting is a mass shooting regardless of the ideology or thinking behind it.

I'm sure if you're on the receiving end you're just as terrified regardless of the ideology or pathology of the shooter