Author Topic: Internships should be required for college snowflakes  (Read 1424 times)

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
Internships should be required for college snowflakes
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:12:27 AM »
In many countries, A brief military service is required of young people before they "go out into the world", to develop self discipline and a work ethic to be contributing members of society. I believe that any college snowflake that wants funding for an UNSKILLED major, meaning one in which they are not attaining ANY skill or trade that will make them employable, they should be required to do an unpaid internship for  minimum of one year before being allowed to begin college. For example, a young snowflake that wants to major in Feminist studies at $80,000 per year, needs to work one of the COUNTLESS unpaid internships in that field, such as the unpaid internships at Gloria Steinems office or Gloria Allred. Where they will be sent to send Fedex's, sort mail, answer phones, pick clients up at the airport and other REAL work, so that they demonstrate a work ethic and desire to merit reading books about sexism and white privilege in between college ravesfor 4 years. A Film Studies major would work at any Film Company(ALL have unpaid intern programs), where 10-15 hour days of getting film executives lunch and running countless errands for free will again have to happen before watching movies for 4 years. I have several friends from countries with mandatory military service, and all say the discipline it gave them was one of the best experiences of their life. Arnolds mandatory military service he credited in part for giving him the discipline to become a champion.

We need an internship program for unskilled majors. Math, science, engineering, medicine, law and SKILLED majors  can have an exemption from this requirement. I encourage any parent with kids approaching college to implement this rule, because your kids as a whole have been complaining about all the "white privilege"and unfairness of our society where hard work doesn't count. So give them the hard work they so desire BEFORE the PRIVILEGE of college.

For the sake of public good the Universities should begin evaluating majors that should require an internship for entry, but they are for profit and like the current system.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Internships should be required for college snowflakes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 10:37:51 AM »
So the government should force servitude?

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 10:55:06 AM »
So the government should force servitude?
Parents are more than welcome to cover their childs expenses as they do when they are in college. But they will only have to pay room and board, not $80,000 in tuition. So parents are taking care of these "slaves" either way. As far as tax payers paying financial aid to students in non skilled majors, I think that practice should end. They are slaves ON campus, not off. These are large plantations where low skilled kids are subsisized to do menial tasks such as studying for the feminism final.

A like a freed slave, they will DIE when they are thrown into a free market where they have no skill to negotiate a living wage with an employer. Or stay on the plantation as "Grad students"

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »
Parents are more than welcome to cover their childs expenses as they do when they are in college. But they will only have to pay room and board, not $80,000 in tuition.
I see.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »
Internships give businesses free labor. Nope, this is America jack.  Tired of colleges making you pay for tuition then they set up with their buddies in business free labor and call it an internship.

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 08:45:49 AM »
Internships give businesses free labor. Nope, this is America jack.  Tired of colleges making you pay for tuition then they set up with their buddies in business free labor and call it an internship.

Internships give the unemployable a chance to develop skills that can lead to a future possibility of earning a living, unlike college. Instead, the unemployable try to enter the workforce with liberals trying to crank the minimum wage to $25/hour, making it IMPOSSIBLE for many to find work. If a homeless guy went to a business and said, "I haven't worked in years, am 30 days sober after 20 years of alcoholism, have NO skills so could I come in a couple hours a day and answer the phones, FOR FREE, just so I can put something on my resume to get back on my feet for future work?" The employer would be breaking the law with a $20 minimum wage plus Workers comp insurance coverage,etc..., so he sends him back to the streets...or College of course.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 10:15:29 AM »
Unpaid internships are bullshat.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »
If you accept an unpaid internship you are admitting you can't get paid employment and aren't worth anything.  It's like online dating.

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
Unemployed snowflakes pretending they are doing something to merit $80,000/year to to remain unemployed while studying unemployable skills, sometimes at the taxpayers expense through grants is BULLSHIT. Although sometimes that cultural studies multiple choice final is a bitch that requires an all night study session.

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 10:47:43 AM »
If you accept an unpaid internship you are admitting you can't get paid employment and aren't worth anything.  It's like online dating.
So many Americans need to accept this truth instead of believing their worthless skills are valuable. I'd find the honesty resreshing instead of DEMANDING a living wage, health care, a nice apartment, cable tv, Cell phones, for pushing a button for a living.

But, but I can push the button really good, I have a college degree in womens studies!!!!!

To make money, you have to develop a MARKETABLE skill or trade. Any SKILLED job pays well, so how will you develop this skill or trade? You go to college to learn these skills. OR,  you do an INTERNSHIP where an employer will let you learn this skill or trade without losing money through minimum wage and benefits.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
So many Americans need to accept this truth instead of believing their worthless skills are valuable. I'd find the honesty resreshing instead of DEMANDING a living wage, health care, a nice apartment, cable tv, Cell phones, for pushing a button for a living.

But, but I can push the button really good, I have a college degree in womens studies!!!!!

To make money, you have to develop a MARKETABLE skill or trade. Any SKILLED job pays well, so how will you develop this skill or trade? You go to college to learn these skills. OR,  you do an INTERNSHIP where an employer will let you learn this skill or trade without losing money through minimum wage and benefits.

In Germany they have apprentice programs where you are paid minimum wage until you are finished with the program and then hired full time at full pay.  For the U.S. to do this corporations could get tax incentives to do this and it could eliminate useless college for people.

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »
In Germany they have apprentice programs where you are paid minimum wage until you are finished with the program and then hired full time at full pay.  For the U.S. to do this corporations could get tax incentives to do this and it could eliminate useless college for people.
EXACTLY!!!!! Men used to have their kids work for free in the family business. A succesful mechanic would have his kid "slave away" learning to detail cars or fix engines. Probably would be child abuse today. But he was giving his son a gift FAR more more valuable than a college degree. Its called personal responsibility, not entitlement.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »
I'm in my early 50's (52), working in IT Network/Security for 25+ years. (Since 1995 when I switched to this career).

The last couple of years this place has been flooded w/ interns and new-hire Millennials.
When you walk by and say "good morning" or "hello" (whatever) they cant look you in the eye, they look to the side and grunt something.
(w/ some dumb/glazed over look). Its hysterical. Normally I wouldnt say it again, but every-time I see them, I say "hello" just to see them squirm.

Tool-bags.  ::)

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
I'm in my early 50's (52), working in IT Network/Security for 25+ years. (Since 1995 when I switched to this career).

The last couple of years this place has been flooded w/ interns and new-hire Millennials.
When you walk by and say "good morning" or "hello" (whatever) they cant look you in the eye, they look to the side and grunt something.
(w/ some dumb/glazed over look). Its hysterical. Normally I wouldnt say it again, but every-time I see them, I say "hello" just to see them squirm.

Tool-bags.  ::)
Cool of your company to tolerate them. There are many young kids(although market is getting saturated) that are getting great jobs in La at Google,etc doing coding and programming. Its not that hard and an internship is such valuable experience and training for them.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »

Tool-bags.  ::)
I am glad I am not growing up in Gen Y or Z.  I feel sorry for people who don't remember what it was like to actually talk to someone face to face or have relationships with decent women who weren't vapid whores or annoying feminists.