Author Topic: Valerian Root, 5-HTP, et al.  (Read 5276 times)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Valerian Root, 5-HTP, et al.
« on: October 08, 2005, 09:33:46 AM »
I started taking some Valerian and 5-HTP with my ZMA at night to help me sleep about a week back. 

Basically, the only thing that happened to me was a 2-day migraine; the only plus of which was that i took so much freakin' advil my leg workout was SICK.   But, that's neither here nor there- has anyone had problems from these supps before?
:-)

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Valerian Root, 5-HTP, et al.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 12:23:39 PM »
I would think it is from the 5-htp.  I have read that it is one of the side effects.  I have taken it before but I can't say that it did much.  I didn't get a headace or anything but it didn't make me sleep any better either. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 05:45:45 PM »
I started taking some Valerian and 5-HTP with my ZMA at night to help me sleep about a week back. 

Bear,

I've never used 5-HTP or ZMA, but I have used Valerian. I had no problems with it. It helped me drift off to sleep, feeling well refreshed the next day. I experienced no adverse effects from using it. Your headaches could possibly have come from another source.

Hope That Helps,
w

gammahydroxy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 07:18:15 PM »

Basically, the only thing that happened to me was a 2-day migraine; the only plus of which was that i took so much freakin' advil my leg workout was SICK.   But, that's neither here nor there- has anyone had problems from these supps before?

sounds like the side effects many get from taking 5-htp.
musclegurus.com

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 01:12:52 PM »
alright, thanks y'all.  I'm gonna blame the 5-htp.  Neither really helped me that much anyway, so i'm just gonna stick with my ZMA. 

Guess i wasted about 15 bucks....  >:(  :-[
:-)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 08:47:29 PM »
I can help you with your problem because I carry pure 5-HTP.  Hhydroxytryptophan is the direct precursor to serotonin so you don't need to take it with Valerian.  Pretty much overkill.  Lose one or the other
A

JUSTJAXX

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 01:32:15 PM »
valerian works to get me to sleep but i usually end up waking up way too early when i take it so i prefer melatonin as a sleep aid