Author Topic: Presidential Debates  (Read 24466 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Presidential Debates
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
33, you can't tell me what romney will do about DREAM exec order.  Nor obamacare.  Nor libya.  nor the economy, outside of "I'll let you know when I get there".

What specific programs will romney cut?  That' a secret.  He can only sit on the fence for so many issues until we realize we don't konw what the hell he will do.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 05:27:09 AM »

Ha a ha.    Obamas record speaks for itself.   

Much better economy than when he took office
30 million americans now have health care insurance
Killed OBL along x number of AQ
His opponent has limited choices

Looks alright to me

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »
Not surprised.  I'm sure the president is happy he'll get a bunch of softball questions.

Liberal Dream Team to Host Presidential Debates
Monday, 13 Aug 2012
By David A. Patten

Conservative media watchdog Brent Bozell slammed the choice of only mainstream-media correspondents to moderate this year’s presidential debates, which could determine the outcome of the election. And he blames the Republican establishment for letting it happen.

“I scratch my head and ask myself the same question: How are they so dense?” Bozell says. “Here you’ve got Bob Schieffer, who’s been just slamming Paul Ryan all weekend long, and he’s going to moderate a debate.

“And all you’ve got to is look at the footage of his past debates,” said Bozell. “He’s terrible.”

The Commission on Presidential Debates announced the schedule for this year’s all-important presidential debates on Monday. No conservative journalists were named.

The first debate will be held in Denver on Oct. 3. It will be moderated by longtime newsman Jim Lehrer of PBS.

“He’s pretty middle-of-the-road as a newsman,” says Bozell. “But watch him on the debates, he tilts strongly to the left.”

The second debate with be moderated by Martha Raddatz, senior foreign affairs correspondent of ABC News. To be held Oct. 11 in Danville, Ky., it will feature the vice presidential candidates: Incumbent Joe Biden of Pennsylvania against GOP Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.

Because Biden’s strength is foreign affairs, having Raddatz as moderator could work to his advantage. That debate will cover both domestic and international topics, however.

The third debate will be held Oct. 16 at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., and will feature Candy Crowley, anchor of CNN’s State of the Union program.

“Candy Crowley isn’t that bad, in fact she’s had some positive moments,” Bozell tells Newsmax. “But she’s going to be drinking from the CNN Kool-Aid, and they’re the ones who are going to prepare the questions for her. So it’s going to be predictable.”

The final debate will feature Schieffer, the longtime CBS correspondent and moderator of Face the Nation, on Oct. 22 in Boca Raton, Fla. Schieffer is well respected in mainstream-media circles, but has a habit of asking questions on Face the Nation that suggest a point of view.

"Has the Tea Party made compromise a dirty word, and is that why Congress can't seem to get anything done?" he asked Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., earlier this year, for example.

Bozell says he is “rather surprised” that no one from Fox News will moderate a debate. In November 2010, Fox’s election night coverage drew more viewers in the 10 p.m. slot than any broadcast network.

“They’re no longer step-children,” Bozell said of Fox. “They’re major players in this. Why don’t I see Bret Baier, why don’t I see Shephard Smith, and a number of people who are not doctrinaire conservatives by any step of the imagination -- why don’t we see them?

“What about Britt Hume?” he added. “…Where’s somebody from the Washington Examiner, the Washington Times, or Newsmax? It’s not like the left has a monopoly of talent.”

The Romney campaign on Monday referred inquiries about the selection of moderators to the Commission on Presidential Debates, the organization that makes those appointments. Some conservatives have accused that organization of showing a progressive tilt. The Daily Caller reported Monday that its nine-member board includes a past president of the Mexican-American Legal Defense and Education Fund; as well as Howard Buffett, the son of Berkshire-Hathaway’s No. 1 Obama backer, Warren Buffett.

The debates are drawing extra scrutiny in part because the election is so tight.
In April, Fox News host Bill O’Reilly predicted on CBS this Morning: "What's going to be decisive are the debates -- the three debates," he said. "Whoever does better in the three will win. That's how close it's going to be."

Debates always play an important role in the run-up to the election. But in some years they appear to be decisive.

In 1980, for example, Ronald Reagan’s famous “there you go again” remark, when he felt incumbent President Jimmy Carter was distorting his positions, was considered a key reason why voters handed him the keys to the Oval Office.
Bozell urges the RNC to make it clear that it will expose any bias from the moderators.

“I wish they would make a very public statement that they’re not going to put up with any shenanigans,” says Bozell. “Now if it’s the same-old, same old, where the questions come from left field for Republicans … where it’s hard-balls to one and softballs to another, then I think the Republicans should make it a point to say they’re going to make a big issue of this.”

But he laments that Republicans committed to the panel of debate moderators without insisting on more ideological balance. And he blames GOP leaders for not standing firm.

“Unfortunately, nothing’s changed,” he says of the tenor of the debates. “This has been going on for decades.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/liberal-media-moderate-debate/2012/08/13/id/448439

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
sounds like a lot of victimhood to me.  Romeny will have plenty of chances to speak his piece.  He's depending upon the moderators to disassemble obama?  Will he have moderators when he's staring down putin?

Man up mitt.  Reagan wouldn't need a moderator on his side - he's own that fcking room.  Then again. Reagan would take positions on issue.  Mitt will not.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
sounds like a lot of victimhood to me.  Romeny will have plenty of chances to speak his piece.  He's depending upon the moderators to disassemble obama?  Will he have moderators when he's staring down putin?

Man up mitt.  Reagan wouldn't need a moderator on his side - he's own that fcking room.  Then again. Reagan would take positions on issue.  Mitt will not.

::)

"The Romney campaign on Monday referred inquiries about the selection of moderators to the Commission on Presidential Debates, the organization that makes those appointments."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »
::)

"The Romney campaign on Monday referred inquiries about the selection of moderators to the Commission on Presidential Debates, the organization that makes those appointments."

I wasn't referring to Romney ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »
Dems want debate question barred (Simpson-Bowles)
 Politico ^ | 8/14/12 4:01 PM EDT | Tomer Ovaida

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:07:34 PM by Olog-hai

Some Democratic lawmakers want to make sure that one question does not get asked at the upcoming first presidential debate—about Simpson-Bowles.

Three Democratic House members objected Tuesday to a request by four senators that President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney be asked which of the commission’s proposals to address the debt they support. The Democrats said such a question would force “candidates to choose solutions from one menu of options.” …

The Democrats also criticized the Simpson-Bowles commission in their letter, saying that while it seeks to address the debt, it doesn’t address priorities in infrastructure, education, research and other investments, and that the plan “asks seniors, the middle class, and military personnel to sacrifice more, while those with the most are asked to do even less to help in our recovery.” …

(Excerpt) Read more at politico.com ...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 03:16:23 PM »
I wasn't referring to Romney ;)

::) ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
Correct. 

Robert Reich: Romney Will Beat 'Wooden' Obama in Presidential Debates
Friday, 24 Aug 2012

Mitt Romney has turned into such a skilled debater that he could trounce President Barack Obama in their three head-to-head encounters in the run-up to the election,  former Democratic Labor Secretary Robert Reich believes.

Romney “is going to be debating somebody who is not nearly as good a debater as his reputation,” Reich tells Atlantic Magazine in its September issue. He says that under live questioning, Obama “can seem kind of wooden” and “at a loss for words.”

“Even if Romney is scripted and not spontaneous, he will come across as ‘on his game,’ ” Reich tells the Atlantic. “The danger for Obama is that Romney can still look better than Obama, if Obama does not have the same degree of discipline about the debates.”

Reich, now Chancellor’s Professor of Public Policy at the University of California at Berkeley, was quoted in an extensive article in the Atlantic by its longtime national correspondent, James Fallows. The magazine’s report was based on an examination of tapes of Romney’s debates throughout his political career.

That first began with three contests against Democratic Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy for the U.S. Senate in 1994 and continued with Romney’s successful 2002 quest for the statehouse, his failed 2008 presidential bid and finally with the 2012 Republican presidential primaries.

Reich ran unsuccessfully for the Democratic nomination for Massachusetts governor in 2002. Romney defeated Shannon O’Brien in the general election.

“He will have done a huge amount of homework,” Reich says of Romney. “He will have moot debates with debating partners, as they all do. But he truly will have internalized a lot of the questions and the most-effective responses.

“He will have the zingers ready, and he knows the importance of those zinger lines. He will have it down — even the humor. He will know that self-deprecating humor is enormously useful, and will have rehearsed it.”

Generally, debate watchers will see a comfortable, confident Republican presidential candidate with a style that embodies “faultless preparation, crisp and precise expression, a readiness both to attack and to defend, and an ability to stay purely on message,” the Atlantic reports.

The magazine says Romney’s weaknesses are “thin factual knowledge on many policy issues, a preference to talk in generalities and a palpable awkwardness when caught unprepared and forced to improvise.”

He will face an incumbent president who is a seasoned debater, having sparred with Hillary Clinton, and who has had four years’ experience in setting policy. But Obama’s theme from 2008 — “Change you can believe in” — has now become “Things could be worse” and “I need more time.”

Thus, “the Romney team has the impossible challenge of trying to imagine every question or attack line that might come up in debates with Obama, while the Obama team tries to imagine what Romney’s might have missed.”

Still, the Atlantic continues: “Debates are and have been his strength. The Romney who took on Teddy Kennedy 18 years ago remains a highly useful guide to the candidate who will stand next to Barack Obama in the three debates scheduled this fall.”

This Mitt Romney solidified his strategy within minutes of his first debate with Kennedy in 1994, two weeks before the election. It came in a response to why the six-term Kennedy, 62 at the time, was not trouncing the younger upstart.

“People in Massachusetts have been watching, for 32 years, Sen. Kennedy,” Romney said in his response. “They appreciate what he has done, but they recognize that our world has changed and that the answers of the 1960s aren’t working anymore.”

With that, Romney’s basic tact was set: “That it was possible to love Teddy Kennedy but recognize that his time had passed, and that the ‘real’ answers weren’t the ones Kennedy could present,” the Atlantic reports.

“This is instantly recognizable as his frame for the 2012 presidential race as well: his opponent is likable but not up to the job.”

Romney then added: “People recognize that government jobs just can’t do it for Massachusetts. We need private-sector jobs. And so they are looking for people who have skill and experience in the private sector, who know how to help create jobs, who will do the work of traveling from state to state and around the country to bring jobs to Massachusetts.”

The Atlantic report concludes, “Through the rest of that evening and in the follow-up debate two days later, Romney did not succeed in breaking Teddy Kennedy’s connection with the people who had voted for him six times before. But he did his level best, with a variety of tools and tactics he has relied on ever since.”

They are: attack your opponent, defend your record, anticipate the opposition’s arguments and be ready to counter, show “a flash of sly wit’ — and stay “unwaveringly on message,” bringing “every question on every topic back to his main theme.”

It was, in this case, “Sen. Kennedy was great for his time; that time has passed; I know about business, which is what we need.”

Kennedy won, but Romney got 41 percent of the vote.

During the 2012 presidential primaries, Romney, in none of the nearly 50 televised hours, was “judged the big loser; in many, he was the clear winner, and as the campaign wore on, the dominant image from the debates was of a confident Romney, standing with a slight smile on his face and his hands resting easily in his pockets, looking on with calm amusement as the lesser figures squabbled among themselves and sometimes lashed out at him,” the Atlantic reports.

A few gaffes occurred — most notably, the “$10,000 bet,” offered to Texas Gov. Rick Perry during an Iowa debate — but, overall, “As his rivals were felled, or destroyed themselves, Romney kept moving ahead,” the Atlantic reports. “His mistakes were few, and his focus was steady, on whichever of the sequential challengers was most threatening week by week.”

Jim Messina, Obama’s campaign manager, tells the Atlantic: “Romney is a seriously under¬rated debater. The truth is, he under¬stood what his job in all those debates was. When it was to go out and finish Rick Perry, he did it. When it was to hold the lead in New Hampshire, he did it.”
Even David Axelrod, Obama’s chief campaign strategist who prepared the president for his debates with Arizona Sen. John McCain in 2008, praised Romney.

“As a debater, he is remarkably disciplined,” Axelrod tells the Atlantic. “It is very unlikely that he is going to come in there without knowing much of what he is going to say, or without having practiced it relentlessly or delivered it over and over.

“He is very good at internalizing the one-liners and knowing when to fire. And he can run off large set pieces from memory pretty effectively.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Reich-wooden-Obama-debates/2012/08/24/id/449726

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
  • put more nitrous on that, it still has spark plugs
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
I cant wait to see ryan and biden debate!
down with hussein

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
This thread is hilarious!!! There aren't and "DEBATES", there haven't been for a decade or so.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 07:08:32 PM »
Robert Reich: Romney Will Beat 'Wooden' Obama in Presidential Debates
Newsmax ^ | August 25, 2012 | Newsmax Wires
Posted on August 24, 2012 9:11:26 PM EDT by RobinMasters

Mitt Romney has turned into such a skilled debater that he could trounce President Barack Obama in their three head-to-head encounters in the run-up to the election, former Democratic Labor Secretary Robert Reich believes.

Romney “is going to be debating somebody who is not nearly as good a debater as his reputation,” Reich tells Atlantic Magazine in its September issue. He says that under live questioning, Obama “can seem kind of wooden” and “at a loss for words.”

“Even if Romney is scripted and not spontaneous, he will come across as ‘on his game,’ ” Reich tells the Atlantic. “The danger for Obama is that Romney can still look better than Obama, if Obama does not have the same degree of discipline about the debates.”

Reich, now Chancellor’s Professor of Public Policy at the University of California at Berkeley, was quoted in an extensive article in the Atlantic by its longtime national correspondent, James Fallows. The magazine’s report was based on an examination of tapes of Romney’s debates throughout his political career.

(Excerpt) Read more at newsmax.com ...

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
Romney-Obama will be a snoozefest-- unless Romney pulls a page out of Newt's playbook and bashes the shit out of the obviously pro Obama moderators. Romney needs to maintain his composure while relentlessly abusing Obama and the pro Obama moderators.

To be honest, I don't think I could do it-- I would lose it and just start throwing around the N word. I am after all, a Republican who hates blacks, women, gays, poor people and the elderly.

The Ryan- Biden debate will be highly entertaining. For god's sake, Palin wiped the floor with Biden 4 years ago. Imagine what Ryan will do to him. I'm thinking of "intentional rape" having a positive connotation for once.

In any event-- Barry without a teleprompter= disaster
                     Biden with an open microphone= comedy

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 03:50:53 AM »

;D

Romney-Obama will be a snoozefest-- unless Romney pulls a page out of Newt's playbook and bashes the shit out of the obviously pro Obama moderators. Romney needs to maintain his composure while relentlessly abusing Obama and the pro Obama moderators.

To be honest, I don't think I could do it-- I would lose it and just start throwing around the N word. I am after all, a Republican who hates blacks, women, gays, poor people and the elderly.

The Ryan- Biden debate will be highly entertaining. For god's sake, Palin wiped the floor with Biden 4 years ago. Imagine what Ryan will do to him. I'm thinking of "intentional rape" having a positive connotation for once.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »
Open Thread: Questions You Won’t Hear at Presidential Debates But Should
By Matthew Sheffield | October 02, 2012

Even if an elite journalist is actually committed to being fair, unless he actively fights to overcome the worldview of the vast majority of his colleagues, bias is going to creep into coverage. It’s only natural since reporters are humans.

But what if we had a news media where you actually had questions which were contrary to the liberal Democrat worldview? Hard to imagine, granted, but our friends at Investor’s Business Daily have done just that. Here are just a few that they would like to see asked of President Obama:

•Most economists agree this is the worst recovery since the Depression. In 2009, you said that if you couldn't turn the economy around by now your presidency would be a "one-term proposition." Why shouldn't voters take you up on that? [...]

•Biographer David Maraniss documents 38 fabrications in your memoir, "Dreams From My Father." If readers can't trust you to be honest in your autobiography, why should voters trust you with another term? [...]

•On several occasions you've led voters to believe your cancer-stricken mother was denied "treatment" for a "pre-existing condition" and had to fight her insurer for payment on her death bed. But a reporter found that Cigna in fact paid all her medical bills. Did you tell a story about your own mother to help sell ObamaCare?

What questions would you like debate moderator Jim Lehrer ask at tomorrow night’s presidential debate?

Also, don’t forget to join us for a live chat and continuous coverage of the bias during the debate and the media spin after the fact.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-sheffield/2012/10/02/open-thread-questions-you-won-t-hear-presidential-debates-should

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
Open Thread: Questions You Won’t Hear at Presidential Debates But Should
By Matthew Sheffield | October 02, 2012

Even if an elite journalist is actually committed to being fair, unless he actively fights to overcome the worldview of the vast majority of his colleagues, bias is going to creep into coverage. It’s only natural since reporters are humans.

But what if we had a news media where you actually had questions which were contrary to the liberal Democrat worldview? Hard to imagine, granted, but our friends at Investor’s Business Daily have done just that. Here are just a few that they would like to see asked of President Obama:

•Most economists agree this is the worst recovery since the Depression. In 2009, you said that if you couldn't turn the economy around by now your presidency would be a "one-term proposition." Why shouldn't voters take you up on that? [...]

•Biographer David Maraniss documents 38 fabrications in your memoir, "Dreams From My Father." If readers can't trust you to be honest in your autobiography, why should voters trust you with another term? [...]

•On several occasions you've led voters to believe your cancer-stricken mother was denied "treatment" for a "pre-existing condition" and had to fight her insurer for payment on her death bed. But a reporter found that Cigna in fact paid all her medical bills. Did you tell a story about your own mother to help sell ObamaCare?

What questions would you like debate moderator Jim Lehrer ask at tomorrow night’s presidential debate?

Also, don’t forget to join us for a live chat and continuous coverage of the bias during the debate and the media spin after the fact.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-sheffield/2012/10/02/open-thread-questions-you-won-t-hear-presidential-debates-should

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »
Sorry but Obama is going to rip Romney's jawbone out.  If anyone thinks that Obama cannot debate is pretty retarded. 
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »
Sorry but Obama is going to rip Romney's jawbone out.  If anyone thinks that Obama cannot debate is pretty retarded. 

LOL!!!   Obama has a record of disgrace now, big differenee.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »
LOL!!!   Obama has a record of disgrace now, big differenee.

in that case... if obama is a terrible debater who didn't beat hilary and mccain...

then tomorrow's debate means NOTHING.  A man who loses all his debates (obama) can still win election.

Either it matters and he won enough of them to win... or it doesn't matter because he won the job while losing them.

Which is it, 33?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »
in that case... if obama is a terrible debater who didn't beat hilary and mccain...

then tomorrow's debate means NOTHING.  A man who loses all his debates (obama) can still win election.

Either it matters and he won enough of them to win... or it doesn't matter because he won the job while losing them.

Which is it, 33?
Well. when he debated Hilary and Mccain, he didn't have a record of utter failure... In fact he had no record, no one knew who he was... so they took him at face value.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:43 PM »
Well. when he debated Hilary and Mccain, he didn't have a record of utter failure... In fact he had no record, no one knew who he was... so they took him at face value.

I see.  So if obama loses the debates this time, he will lose the election?  Is that what you're saying?  And if he wins tomrorow, he still loses election?

I'm just trying to keep 33 from playing both side.   I like this addition you brought in, including the record with it... but Obama's congressional record was voted 100% MOST liberal in senate, and voters didnt care.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2012, 02:49:14 AM »

"Biden with an open microphone= comedy"

I bet you could tune in and mistake it for a stand up comedy show ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2012, 06:35:31 AM »
Editorial: What we would ask Obama at the debate
The Editorial BoardShare

The Editorial Board's 5 questions on the economy for the president.

9:16PM EST October 2. 2012 -

President Obama, you said soon after taking office in 2009 that if you didn't turn around the economy within three years, your presidency would be a "one-term proposition." Well, here we are in 2012. Economic growth is extremely sluggish, 12.5 million Americans are unemployed and a record 46.7 million are on food stamps. When is it time to stop blaming Republicans for this problem, and why would four more years of your policies make it better?

EDITORIAL: What we'd ask Romney

•Shortly before you took office, your economic advisers projected that if Congress passed a major stimulus bill, the unemployment rate would stay below 8%. The bill passed, but the jobless rate quickly topped 8% and peaked at 10%. In fact, it hasn't been below 8% during your presidency. Did you underestimate the problem, or did you oversell the stimulus?

•You've repeatedly proposed to raise taxes on those making more than $250,000 a year while leaving the Bush tax cuts in place for everyone else. Soaking the rich might be good politics, but non-partisan tax and budget experts agree it won't come close to producing the revenue the nation needs. That will require far more people to share the burden, including some of the nearly half of Americans who pay no federal income tax. Where do you plan to get the rest of the money? And how will you convince the public that sacrifice is necessary?

•You promised early in your presidency to cut the federal deficit in half, but your latest budget, the one for fiscal 2013, misses by about $200 billion. The deficit for the fiscal year that ended on Sunday topped $1 trillion for the fourth year in a row. You also gave the cold shoulder to your own deficit-reduction commission, the Simpson-Bowles panel. What evidence can you offer that you take deficit reduction seriously?

•You have said that Social Security doesn't contribute to the deficit now. But Congressional Budget Office numbers show the program has been in the red since 2010 and is on track to borrow half a trillion dollars over the next decade. According to the Social Security Administration statement being sent to workers across America, the system "is facing serious financial problems, and action is needed soon to make sure the system will be sound." Why do you deny there's a problem, and what specific changes will you support to fix Social Security for the long term?

•Ballooning health care costs are threatening to bankrupt the nation. Medicare spending alone is forecast to rise from $560 billion this year to $987 billion in 2021. Though the Affordable Care Act sets up numerous cost-saving measures, health experts say it's unclear any of that will be enough. The independent board that's supposed to limit Medicare growth doesn't have the tools to do it. You don't like the Republicans' voucher proposal for Medicare, but how will you contain costs if your experiments don't work out as planned?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »

Seriously?  I've watched numerous debates involving Obama and Romney.  Obama is average.  Romney is above average. 

Obama doesn't think well on his feet.  He is very inarticulate without his teleprompter. 

Romney sometimes makes dumb comments in debates, but overall, he's head and shoulders better than Obama. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
Ralph Reed: Romney Must Bypass Obama, Speak to Voters at Debate
Wednesday, 03 Oct 2012
By Jim Meyers and Kathleen Walter

Republican strategist Ralph Reed, founder and president of the Faith and Freedom Coalition, tells Newsmax that his organization’s massive get-out-the-vote effort will produce the biggest turnout of “conservative people of faith” ever in a presidential election.

He also predicts that three-quarters of evangelical will overlook differences with Romney’s Mormon faith and vote for the Republican candidate.

And he says Romney should focus on “communicating directly” with undecided voters in Wednesday night’s critical debate.

Reed is the former head of the Christian Coalition. He founded the Faith and Freedom Coalition in 2009.

In an exclusive interview with Newsmax.TV, Reed explains how his organization is working tirelessly to help Mitt Romney win in November.

“We have built a file, working with third-party organizations, with voter registration information as well as church membership and conservative and Christian book buyer data and other consumer data, a voter file of faithful Catholics and evangelical Christians that has 17.1 million voters in the roughly 15 or 20 states that will decide the outcome of this election,” he says.

“We’re going to be contacting every one of those households a minimum of seven times, including three pieces of mail, two phone calls. We have over 13 million cellphone numbers for these voters.

“In Ohio yesterday when early voting began, hundreds of thousands of conservative voters of faith received a text message from us that was an Ohio voter alert, letting them know that early voting began, sending them a link to a voter guide so they knew where the candidates stood, and providing them with a link to the early voting location nearest them.

“We’re going to be knocking on about 2 million doors. I think we’re going to see the biggest turnout of conservative people of faith that we’ve seen in a presidential election, and when they come I think there may be some surprises.”

Reed’s appeal to evangelical voters helped George W. Bush win the White House in 2000. Asked if he thinks his efforts will prove successful this year, Reed responds: “I couldn’t begin to tell you what will happen on Nov. 6 other than the fact that I think it’s basically a jump ball.

“If you look at the Washington Post/ABC News poll that came out on Monday, they’ve got it at 49 percent Obama, 47 Romney nationally. That’s roughly within the margin of error.

“You look at the Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll that came out last night, they’ve got it at 49 to 46 [for Obama]. And their state polls show Romney gaining and closing in Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, and Iowa and in other battleground states. So my sense is, if the race is a two-point race, it’s basically tied.

“And the same is true in a lot of these Senate races. In Virginia, [Democrat Tim] Kaine and [Republican George] Allen are basically tied. In Ohio, [Republican Josh] Mandel and [Democrat] Sherrod Brown are within the margin of error. [Republican] Todd Akin has closed and in some polls is even ahead of Claire McCaskill in Missouri.

“I can tell you this, we’re going to do everything we can to insure that people of faith who hold to the time-honored principles of faith and freedom that made this country great, we’re going to make sure that every one of them that we can is registered to vote, informed and educated, and goes to the polls.”

Discussing Wednesday night’s first presidential debate, Reed observes: “The debate’s going to be critical. My unsolicited advice to Mitt Romney is that he needs to be less focused on beating Obama as a debater, because that would be falling into the trap of playing to Obama’s greatest strength, which is his eloquence and his ability to articulate a message even if the message isn’t accurate.

“Instead he should focus on communicating directly to the voters who are yet undecided and are going to be watching this debate. He needs to lay out what his prescription is for the country, what his values and beliefs are, who he is, and what his plan is to restart this economy, to create jobs, and to restore America once again to a position of strength in the world.”

Romney is pro-life and for traditional marriage, yet he is avoiding these issues in the general election. But Reed points out: “Both Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan have made it abundantly clear that when it comes to the issues that give meaning to the souls of millions of Americans, issues like the sanctity of life and marriage, religious liberty — the Obama administration has promulgated a mandate on religious charities including soup kitchens, homeless shelters, colleges and universities, and hospitals, that they have to cover healthcare services that violate their religious teaching and assault their conscience — Romney and Ryan have made their position very clear.

“So that’s out there. I think it’s been fully litigated and I think a lot of voters are going to cast their ballot not just on the economy and jobs, although clearly the election is largely about the poor economic performance of this administration, but I think a lot of voters are concerned about these issues and they will cast their ballots accordingly.”

Asked if Romney can overcome evangelicals’ distrust of his Mormonism in the election, Reed responds: “I certainly don’t want to diminish the significance of the theological differences between orthodox evangelical Christians and the Mormon Church. Those differences have deep historic roots and those differences will remain regardless of what happens on Nov. 6.

“But I think if you look at the polling, for instance the Pew Research Center Poll, they found that Mitt Romney was getting about 71 percent of the evangelical vote. Others show it at about 65 percent of the evangelical vote. I think it’s going to be at least what George W. Bush got in 2000, which was 68 percent. I think it’s more likely to be closer to what McCain got four years ago, which was 73 percent.

“So I think this vote is coming. I think it’s going to be big numerically and in terms of the share of the electorate.

“Remember this is about one out of every four voters in America, and if you add in faithful Catholics who are another 12 percent of the electorate, it’s about 38 to 40 percent of the entire vote. And the polling shows that they’re going to be voting two to one or three to one for Mitt Romney.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/2012-presidential-debates-ralph/2012/10/03/id/458541