Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 230887 times)

Charlys69

• Getbig III
Re: The Mature thread
« Reply #7575 on: September 19, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
2 weeks later "back" at home....

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7576 on: March 06, 2017, 06:48:42 PM »
Concerned about joint health after lifting for over 40 years. At 50 except for aches and pains, everything was full steam ahead. Now as I get close to 60 it seems I have to be careful about joint health. How many guys have bad shoulders, knees elbows and backs? Seems like joints go on every famous lifter.  Guys like Paul Anderson, Grimek, and even Clarence Bass had bad hips. The guys who had destroyed shoulders is a huge list. So many older athletes are going for surgical repairs and joint replacements.

Seems guys that trained for volume with moderate weight seemed to have the best joints but I have no real scientific proof of this. Just empirical knowledge being in the gyms. Guys like Robby Robinson seem injury free for a life time but then again guys like Chris Dickerson has a lot of joint issues.

What's your opinion on training hard but safe for an older trainer?  Some say you should train with volume and train a body part 2 to 3 times a weeks with moderate weights. Exhausting the muscle through "endurance" type lifting of multiple sets and short rests.  Making a light weight heavy so to speak through short rests between sets.

Keeping with the volume opinion I heard one well built older natural guys say high reps. He does from what I can see about 3 to 4 exercises per body part. He does 3 sets per exercise of around 12 to 15 reps.  Short rests between exercises keeps the weights very moderate.  His full range and moderate rep cadence seems to be a safe way of training.

Another view point is this 73 year old guy that who body builds with with heavy weights in my gym. His opinion was to train each body part once a week so it can heal and repair. When he trained a body part more than once a week directly he said he would feel joint pain.  He said in effect, lift heavy with low sets and forget about hitting that body part again till next week. He uses a rep range of 6 to 8 reps. Maybe 2 sets per exercise. This is how I currently train. Split my body in a three ways and train 3 days a week.

I guess we all have to do what suits us. Any thoughts on this? I'm not looking for a debate on volume vs HIT but what an old natural guy should do to protect his joints. My knee and shoulder is giving me a lot of aggravation. One thing for sure. If an exercise hurts then find a substitute. Don't keep doing it because it's thought of as a necessary exercise. I think all inclines chest exercises are out for me. Just hits my painful shoulder bad. In my mind I feel because of all the decades of reading about chest training that inclines are a necessity for upper chest development.  I now think that's BS.  Flat dumbbells bench and declines don't hurt my shoulder so that's what I'm going to do.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7577 on: March 11, 2017, 05:05:32 PM »
Greetings Oldtimer,

Many things have already been written on safe/joint friendly weight training, such as exercise selection and the importance of proper form.

I give you 3 things that work very well for me during times of injuries/pains (shoulders & hips in my case), and with 'very well' I mean that I was
(almost) able to train pain free and that the pain post-workout was much less.

1. Perform dynamic mobility work and stretches for at least 30 minutes once a week. Right after cardio is a good moment, as long as you're warmed up.
2. Train with resistance bands or combine them with free weights or machines. Esp pressing movements with bands put less stress on the joints.
3. Train in super slow fashion. The original super slow protocol is 4 reps with a 10 sec concentric & 10 sec eccentric movement, so that's a total T.U.T. of 80 seconds(!)
This works very well, but I found out that 3 reps with a 5 sec concentric/5 sec eccentric works more intense (i.e. more weight moved per second, while it's still not taxing too much on my joints)

I believe that the preferred volume/frequency is personal thing. Myself, I prefer a limited volume with a higher frequency (train a muscle 3 times per 2 weeks), but you also have those typical volume guys who want to pump blood into the muscle from all angles. What matters the most is that you take enough recovery time, which is mostly a matter of listening to the signals of your body.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7578 on: March 14, 2017, 08:00:08 AM »
Greetings Oldtimer,

Many things have already been written on safe/joint friendly weight training, such as exercise selection and the importance of proper form.

I give you 3 things that work very well for me during times of injuries/pains (shoulders & hips in my case), and with 'very well' I mean that I was

1. Perform dynamic mobility work and stretches for at least 30 minutes once a week. Right after cardio is a good moment, as long as you're warmed up.
2. Train with resistance bands or combine them with free weights or machines. Esp pressing movements with bands put less stress on the joints.
3. Train in super slow fashion. The original super slow protocol is 4 reps with a 10 sec concentric & 10 sec eccentric movement, so that's a total T.U.T. of 80 seconds(!)
This works very well, but I found out that 3 reps with a 5 sec concentric/5 sec eccentric works more intense (i.e. more weight moved per second, while it's still not taxing too much on my joints)

I believe that the preferred volume/frequency is personal thing. Myself, I prefer a limited volume with a higher frequency (train a muscle 3 times per 2 weeks), but you also have those typical volume guys who want to pump blood into the muscle from all angles. What matters the most is that you take enough recovery time, which is mostly a matter of listening to the signals of your body.
nice,,,

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7579 on: March 14, 2017, 10:39:46 AM »
Greetings Oldtimer,

Good advice to train with a slow cadence. I remember when Ken Hutchins first came forth with super slow training as he called it and modified Arthur Jones cam on his Med X machines. I was a lot younger when this came out and I laughed at his protocol of super slow reps. I wrote back in the day it might be a great method for rehabilitation and for older trainers but not for the masses of hard core trainers.  Now I'm an older trainer and I'm not laughing.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7580 on: March 14, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
Good advice to train with a slow cadence. I remember when Ken Hutchins first came forth with super slow training as he called it and modified Arthur Jones cam on his Med X machines. I was a lot younger when this came out and I laughed at his protocol of super slow reps. I wrote back in the day it might be a great method for rehabilitation and for older trainers but not for the masses of hard core trainers.  Now I'm an older trainer and I'm not laughing.

You know your stuff! Yes, I was referring to Ken Hutchins' super slow protocol. It's mentally a tough way to train, since you almost need to 'reprogram' your muscles but it results in a great mind muscle connection and the stress on the joints is so much less.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7581 on: March 16, 2017, 05:25:17 AM »
On another note when ever I saw a picture of Ken Hutchins he looked out of shape. I mean out of shape for a non trainer.  Maybe he had health issues?  Lifting today. I won't be pretty. LOL.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7582 on: March 16, 2017, 05:57:50 AM »
On another note when ever I saw a picture of Ken Hutchins he looked out of shape. I mean out of shape for a non trainer.  Maybe he had health issues?  Lifting today. I won't be pretty. LOL.

I hear you, and generally I would rather listen to someone who followed his own advises with good results. However, I've seen plenty of PT's/coaches/trainers who look good themselves but who have no basic understanding about training/nutrition and/or have no mentor or social skills.
No matter what type of professional someone is, at the end of the day it's someone's track record that brings value to the table.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7583 on: March 16, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »
My workout was with relatively light weights today. I really believe an IV antibiotic known for harming tendons while I was in the hospital with pneumonia contributed to my current injuries.  My wife said to stop being aggravated that the alternative could have been death.  Lost so much weight.  Tried to protect my shoulder and knee. Funny dips don't hurt the shoulder but incline presses both bar and dumbbell kill my shoulder. Knee is making a lot of funky noises. Hurts the most in the back of the knee. Wonder if a hamstring pull contributed to this? First hurt it sprinting. I didn't go super slow but used a controlled cadence with full a full range motion. Certain movements are out for now. Leg curls, inclines, and pull ups are definitely out. Last time I did a pull up I saw white lightening pain in the shoulder. Orthopedic surgeon said I have a slap tear but it's in the best possible position to have it.(What ever that means)  He said let it rest for 3 months and if it's still giving me trouble he would operate.  Here I am ignoring his advise. LOL.

Back and chest.

Pull down 2 x 10 120lbs( my home unit has so much friction a little weight feels like a lot. )
Seated cable lat pulls with V handle 2 x 12 165LBS.
One arm dumbbell rows with knee on bench 2 x 10 80lbs
Barbell row 2 x 10 140lbs. ( old school style with body parallel to the floor.)

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 70lbs (all the way down and up. Controlled movement to protect bad shoulder)
Weighted dips 2 x 10 10lbs (again slow all the way down and up)
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Push ups 2 x 27-17 (chest tapping floor, body straight and all the way up)

deadlifts 2 x 4 285lbs then 1 x 1 310lbs. ( being careful with the knee. Controlled reps)
Weighted lower back hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head. (felts slight pain behind bad knee)

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 18
flat crunch with feet on bench 1 x 55 10lbs plate behind head.

Disappointed in pressing weight and my inability to do inclines.  Legs are the next workout. Have to be really careful with the knee. Instead of starting with moderate weight squats I'm going to start with full range leg presses after a lot of warm ups. Hopefully when I get to squats the knee will be ready to go with moderate weights.  

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #7584 on: May 18, 2017, 07:17:02 AM »
how old are you now ? and how Long you have been Training ?.....itīs a common Thing that older Athletes could not do all exercises they wanted. No. 1 Problem is the shoulder Joint. First you have to quit some heavy shoulder-presses, than some years later quit with free weight incline presses, and also heavy flys.

To find out....what is good, and what hurts to much, and stops me from serious Training too many times is the secret.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7585 on: May 18, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
Here's what I've noticed changes my training as I age; it takes longer to recover, I lift less weight, and when I lay off, my body can't keep up with my ambitions.

Just started back again after a several month layoff. Every muscle I've worked this week is sore as heck regardless that I scaled back my workouts. I'm never going to get as big as I was when I was Thirty no matter how dedicated I am.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7586 on: May 22, 2017, 07:28:53 AM »
Isn't strange but I don't get sore anymore. I could go for a 5 mile run or lift for 90 minutes. I don't get sore. Maybe a genetic thing or a life time of continuous training. I'm sure if I did something crazy that I don't do like a 10 mile run or extreme volume training I would  get sore.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7587 on: May 22, 2017, 12:11:18 PM »
Isn't strange but I don't get sore anymore. I could go for a 5 mile run or lift for 90 minutes. I don't get sore. Maybe a genetic thing or a life time of continuous training. I'm sure if I did something crazy that I don't do like a 10 mile run or extreme volume training I would  get sore.
HOW YA FEELING ?AFTER THE ILLNESS FINALLY BETTER I GUESS/HOPE..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7588 on: May 24, 2017, 07:00:22 PM »
HOW YA FEELING ?AFTER THE ILLNESS FINALLY BETTER I GUESS/HOPE..

I recovered. Long road. I still don't know how I got so sick. Makes me think how precious health is. Thanks for asking.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #7589 on: May 25, 2017, 06:25:39 AM »
finish with lighter weights.....feel the Motion, trying to get a pump...not easy for mid 50īs... :-\

today morning before shower, non Training day (without pump)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7590 on: May 25, 2017, 06:46:06 AM »
finish with lighter weights.....feel the Motion, trying to get a pump...not easy for mid 50īs... :-\

Have you tried taking beetroot juice 2-3 hours before training? Personally I don't believe that getting a pump is necessary for growth, and often I only achieve this in my arms, chest & legs. It's a good feeling tho..

Anyway, you're still in great shape when I see your level of vascularity :)

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #7591 on: May 25, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »
before Training i take a pre-Workout Supplement with creatine, Beta-Alanin, citrullin, AAKG.....20 Minutes before (from a german Company/ironmax). My last meal before Training is 2 hours before Training. In the morning my first Calories is 50g Whey-Isolate + 4 g extra Leucin + 4 g Creatin with water, about 30-60 Minutes before breakfast. The Picture (in the morning) is on empty stomach, maybe 10 Minutes after wake-up.

"getting a pump" i try in the 2nd half of my workouts...my Training is holistic......using different rep-ranges, rest times, ....looking for a "good mix", but not stress too much my tendoms, Joints...with my Training-style back in my 20īs 30īs 40īs i would kill myself today. When you Train you feel if your Body can handle good with that Kind of stress or not.....

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7592 on: May 25, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »

nice...

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #7593 on: June 17, 2017, 09:56:31 AM »
last 3-4 weeks was going well...bit stronger, same weight, think shape is getting better....tommorrow Long flight to Abu Dhabi, and after to Bangkok.

259 lbs. act.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7594 on: June 17, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
I've noticed a fellow who seems to do the same routine every time I see him at the gym. He's a big guy who appears to be very muscular, but not particularly fit. What is interesting about his routine is that he uses really light weight resistance and an average number of reps, 8-10 on every exercise he does. he moves from one exercise to the next with a minimum of rest. His routine seems to work for him. His delts, triceps and biceps are very large.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #7595 on: May 14, 2018, 09:29:34 AM »
I'm 60.  Been training fairly steadily since about age 18.

Training heavy with low reps always made me sore in the joints.  At a young age I could recover quickly.

I could do this even into my 40s.

Once I hit the 50s often still trained this way but my joints would then be always sore. 

Hard to get out of bed.

So I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?  I feel lousy."

Higher reps 8+ don't make me feel this way.  Obviously it is because less weight = less joint stress.

I like to train heavy but is the constant pain worth it? 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7596 on: May 14, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »
I'm 60.  Been training fairly steadily since about age 18.

Training heavy with low reps always made me sore in the joints.  At a young age I could recover quickly.

I could do this even into my 40s.

Once I hit the 50s often still trained this way but my joints would then be always sore. 

Hard to get out of bed.

So I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?  I feel lousy."

Higher reps 8+ don't make me feel this way.  Obviously it is because less weight = less joint stress.

I like to train heavy but is the constant pain worth it? 

In a word, no.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7597 on: May 14, 2018, 11:19:32 PM »
Hopefully I'm still able to train with decent intensity at the age of 60...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7598 on: May 15, 2018, 07:30:16 PM »
Hopefully I'm still able to train with decent intensity at the age of 60...

If you have a serious work ethic then yes. I find the drug users start dropping out well before 60. Various reasons. Sometimes it's health, finances or even arrests.  At 60 many many start having health scares like heart concerns, serious joint issues or even an  enlarged prostate. My gym there are a lot of older men. Most train like old men but there are exceptions. On guy is 73 I believe and he still trains really hard with heavy weights. Surely an exception to the rule. He has a youthful speaking voice too.

I find for me at 60 I stopped doing certain movements like the bar bench press and press behind the neck. I don't miss them. I use dumbbells or the standard military press for shoulders. I squatted with a bar for over 40 years. Now I fell better results with the deep range of motion leg press and dumbbell squats performed with a fairly straight back and sinking it. I really think the hardest exercise I have ever done are dumbbell squats. I don't know my name after them and feel close to death. I know guys that use 315lbs with a bar think how can I find dumbbells heavy enough?  Believe me, incredible strong guys would be shot holding two 150lbs dumbbells trying to get 12 reps. I see guys deadlifting the dumbbells thinking they are doing a dumbbell squat. That's not the motion. Get that ass really low as you squat and keep the back fairly vertical holding the dumbbells at your sides.  

I have been a high intensity guy my whole life doing sets to failure and low sets. I've been putting a lot of thought into high set endurance type training. I'm hesitant to make the change because I vainly say I look good for my age and I speculate high intensity is the reason. Then again who knows?  

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #7599 on: June 09, 2018, 07:39:45 AM »
I'm in my 60s and training is not only different, it's also difficult.  But I still train.  The other day I just could not do my normal routine due to not only being physically sore but also mentally tired.  So I just did a couple of sets for each body part for 50 reps each.  Got a pump and got out of the gym.

Izzat the "Weider Instinctive Training Principle"?   ;D