Author Topic: Kim Kardashian on cover of M&F Hers backlash???  (Read 33200 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Kim Kardashian on cover of M&F Hers backlash???
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »
There have been some surprises and some backlash over putting Kim Kardashian on the cover of the upcoming Muscle & Fitness Hers.  Comments like "It's nothing personal against Kim Kardashian but she isn't a fitness model...she's skinny-fat.  I just always held MFH to higher standards than this" ,  "I just want the cover models to be woman of sport, strong women with healthy lifestyles and the physique to prove it!" , "I don't really want to see any "celebs" on the cover unless they are fitness/sports related..."

Well, Chris Lockwood, the new Editor-in-Chief, did read your concerns and has responded.  Here is his response...

As the new Editor-in-Chief, I assume I'm the "sell-out" so I guess it's only appropriate I respond.

As someone who's dedicated his entire adult life to this industry, successfully breathed new life in one of the most  legitimage hardcore sports supplement companies this industry has known, took over and guided the diet division of the biggest retailer in the industry through the "end of days era" (ephedra ban), been behind the scenes as a brand consultant and formulator for some of the best known brands in our industry... and then threw it all away to go back and do clinical research to complete a dream of getting a PhD and spending time with my daughter and wife, I've been called a lot of things but a sell-out is definitely a new one.

In disgust of the time our society spends knowing their celebs, TV shows and sports teams over that of their own children's lives or the events that truly shape our world, my wife and I gave up TV back in 2003. Thus, when I was asked by our Editor-at-Large, Gunnar Peterson, CSCS, if I would consider putting Kim on the cover, one of my first questions was "Kim who?" Learning who she was aside, Gunnar wasn't asking to get her or himself publicity; instead, the question grew as he and I were discussing celebrities that defy the "Hollywood workout" persona. With Kim, he told me how hard she'd been training and how seriously she'd taken to our training lifestyle (even if her nutrition is still holding her back). Over the course of weeks, and many conversations and workout updates later, it became clear to me that Kim was clearly trying to give her physique critiques something less to criticize her about - flipping them the proverbial middle finger, really.

Is she our classic cover model? Absolutely not. Was why I wouldn't agree to the shoot unless it was done under Hers terms - absolutely not your pretty modeling photoshoot. I wouldn't agree to anything less than just shooting a seriously legitimate workout. Yes...it's the workout Gunnar designed for Kim. The shots aren't posed and the weights are her real training loads. It was a workout shoot; not a celebrity profile.

To those criticizing our using her physique on the cover, I would ask "does everyone we show in Hers have to be in perfect shape to be accepted into the fitness lifestyle?" I.E., nowhere are we saying that Kim IS the ideal Hers physique; she's work in progress, and for that we support her and EVERY woman that takes that journey in hopes of becoming a better physical representation of themselves. To me, that's real...even if the model is Hollywood. If supporting those on the journey isn't who we are, then yes, using Kim is an abomination.

Still, there will be critics. That, I'm certain of. Didn't assume I was venturing into this without there being landmines. However, I don't know about you, but I can't recall one client (when I was training clients all day to put myself through my Master's program) or one person that started life with a great set of abs, well-defined delts, beautifully shaped back and great hamstring-quad seperation. Instead, every subject I have ever ran through a clinical trial in the body composition and metabolic laboratory, or every women that first looks to our magazine for helping to become the woman they believe is waiting to come out typically starts as less than perfect. Work in progress.

Again, is Kim's physique a classic M&F cover? No. Has living the lifestyle we preach significantly changed her body...even if not at its final destination? Most definitely. That's what we're trying to show. Some hope that this very public figure is living our lifestyle. To hopefully get some people to pay attention and look at what she's been able to accomplish. Hopefully, inspiring others that may find it hard to relate to women at the top of the physique mountain. Instead, they may take that first step by seeing the progress of someone still climbing their way to the summit. Will Kim actually achieve it? Time will tell.

As for the feature, it isn't about the day spa and meditation; the lifestyle of the wanna-be physically fit of Hollywood. Make no bones about it, this feature provides a serious workout program designed by one of the best guys in the business - Gunnar. I guarantee many of you will find some cool, new training to incorporate into your own programs. Even if you still don't agree with our choice of model.

And lastly....the stones being thrown at Kim's celebrity. Well, I'm kind of a Billy Joel fan of 'Glass Houses' - I never make it a habit in my life to xeroscape my yard when building my home of glass. I.E., not every cover model in our industry would be mistaken for the Virgin Mary. We're in the business to promote fitness.

Not making a habit of forming an opinion of others until I've had an opportunity to meet them, I will say that I sincerely found Kim to be incredibly friendly and totally professional on set. She arrived straight from the airport and never once became anything other than totally friendly and full of energy. No matter what Gunnar and I asked her to do, she did and kept doing with 100% effort for the complete 8-hour day on set. If that's a personality that I'm supposed to dislike, then I guess I failed their too.

I really do hope you give this feature a read for what it is - an incredibly novel and cool, serious training piece; the fitness story being about a model working to overcome what the great majority of females in the developed world struggle to achieve (or need to begin working on).

In Strength - Chris (aka, the "sell-out" EIC)

http://boards.muscleandfitnesshers.com/ib/ikonboard.cgi?s=2c8f849259a2cd97395de43208cb3198;act=ST;f=5;t=6598;st=10

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Kim Kardashian on cover of M&F Hers backlash???
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:09:45 AM »
Kim's got a bangin' booty!!

I might buy the mag now that it has something curvy on the cover.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
Ron, I'm not gonna read all of that (did read some) but bump for Kim Kardashian, she is smoking hot.  Having her on the cover will sell more magazines it's that simple.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:18:28 AM »
Kim's got a bangin' booty!!

I might buy the mag now that it has something curvy on the cover.

+1

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »
I remember one day when my Oxygen Magazine came and there was a skinny girl w/no real muscle tone on the cover.  My friend (a top fitness competitor) was at my house when I opened it and I said, "Who is that?"  She didn't have a clue.  We looked inside and it was some actress we had never heard of.  If I remember right there was a workout w/her featured and her nutrition plan. 

Nothing against the girl, but the cover looked like something you'd see on "Shape" or something like that.  I was disappointed and contacted Robert Kennedy to let him know.  He apparently had many such contacts.  

Women that read Oxygen and Muscle and Fitness Hers tend to want a more intense workout and eating plans that help us become strong, hold/build muscle and lose fat.  I guess we want to see a physique on the cover to which we aspire to have ourselves. 

I don't know what Kim's physique looks like right now or what she looked like before she started working out.  I understand Chris Lockwood's points, but his readers want what they want.  But maybe they will all be pleasantly surprised when they see the cover and feature.

On the other hand, Kim is gorgeous and famous so the magazine will probably sell well, perhaps to first-time female readers and most definitely a bunch of men as well ;D
R

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »
I remember one day when my Oxygen Magazine came and there was a skinny girl w/no real muscle tone on the cover.  My friend (a top fitness competitor) was at my house when I opened it and I said, "Who is that?"  She didn't have a clue.  We looked inside and it was some actress we had never heard of.  If I remember right there was a workout w/her featured and her nutrition plan. 

Nothing against the girl, but the cover looked like something you'd see on "Shape" or something like that.  I was disappointed and contacted Robert Kennedy to let him know.  He apparently had many such contacts.  

Women that read Oxygen and Muscle and Fitness Hers tend to want a more intense workout and eating plans that help us become strong, hold/build muscle and lose fat.  I guess we want to see a physique on the cover to which we aspire to have ourselves. 

I don't know what Kim's physique looks like right now or what she looked like before she started working out.  I understand Chris Lockwood's points, but his readers want what they want.  But maybe they will all be pleasantly surprised when they see the cover and feature.

On the other hand, Kim is gorgeous and famous so the magazine will probably sell well, perhaps to first-time female readers and most definitely a bunch of men as well ;D

Not being mean but typical men don't crave what has become the industry standard. More people will probably buy the magazine because she's famous but some will probably go for it because she's filled out and more attractive to mainstream people.

Men and women have very different ideas about what is attractive.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 01:02:36 PM »
i have a tendency to prefer feminine women as opposed to huge BB girls, or super cut/dry looking girls. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »
Anyone have a photo of the cover?

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »
Not being mean but typical men don't crave what has become the industry standard. More people will probably buy the magazine because she's famous but some will probably go for it because she's filled out and more attractive to mainstream people.

I agree.  But I think the women that buy those 2 mags are a bit more serious about fitness than the typical woman.  Also, the fitness/figure competitor that is usually on the cover is normally at or near contest shape....the majority of them don't walk around that lean all the time.
R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
Anyone have a photo of the cover?

I don't think it's released yet?

Found this though (apparently part of the M&F shoot):

R

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 02:44:50 PM »
I don't think it's released yet?

Found this though (apparently part of the M&F shoot):

She looks fit there... I don't see the issue.

Looks like the athletic body most guys (and girls) would think is good.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »
She looks fit there... I don't see the issue.

Looks like the athletic body most guys (and girls) would think is good.
I agree she looks very fit for the average person, I think stella's point is though that, her physique is not why women buy MFH, i dont really buy BB mags anymore but you dont see MD, Flex, or Ironman with natural BB's on the cover do you? Iono ive never seen any but i wouldnt buy that magazine and im natural lol.

what you talking about willis? im a typical guy and i love those fitness chicks, i like to be able to look at a chick and know she works out not bb type at all but a fit girl.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »

Chris did add a little more...

Ronald Reagan is known as "The Great Communicator"; in our offices, even with the best of intentions, my 'matter of fact' approach has instead branded me the title of 'The Great MIS-communicator." Thus, I do sincerlely apologize if my post was read as an attack at anyone's opinion; wasn't my intention at all - I was just trying to state the story behind the story, if you will.

Also, there are other pressures at play here - there's a strong desire by our executives to see more celebrities on our covers and this one in particular was requested. Hobrecker and I know that celebrities haven't worked in the past for Hers; however, our options are to either dig our heels in the sand over principle, resign, or try an approach to showcase the celebrity's Hers style training and "test" the outcome. Thus, if by using that celeb we bring more people into our brand of fitness lifestyle then we win; if, even after using the right Hers focus and treatment the issue does poorly, then we prove the position Hobrecker and I made in the first place. That said, I'm hopeful for the former to occur; prepared for the latter.

Now, on to playing with my daughter and spending time with my wife. Thanks for hearing me out.

In Strength - c

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 06:19:35 PM »
Kim is famous, sexy as hell and has a body that turns men on more than anyone in the IFBB/NPC/XYZ organization. That is all that matters.

!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
I agree she looks very fit for the average person, I think stella's point is though that, her physique is not why women buy MFH, i dont really buy BB mags anymore but you dont see MD, Flex, or Ironman with natural BB's on the cover do you? Iono ive never seen any but i wouldnt buy that magazine and im natural lol.
what you talking about willis? im a typical guy and i love those fitness chicks, i like to be able to look at a chick and know she works out not bb type at all but a fit girl.
Fit yes, but not emmaciated and hard lloking.  I guess I like a softer look to a woman, toned, but not super ripped.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 07:08:47 PM »

Then why do people buy M&FH?

Who are the people that buy it? I don't think the mag is made for fitness models or physique competitors... That's a pretty small number of people to buy a mag if that's the case.

I'm sure the point is to increase readership... So showing a fit, yet not masculine chick on the cover is probably the way.

Most women I see on the cover of M&FH are not any better physique wise than she is as far as I can tell.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
People need to stop hatin' on Kim's beautiful booty and thick thighs! >:(

If people want to cry foul because fitness chicks make no money and they're pissed a competitor wasn't on the cover that would make a tiny bit of sense. There's really no valid reason the cover should always feature someone from the industry, especially considering how few people are probably recognizable to the general public.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 08:14:36 PM »
Loyalty is admirable, but not always practical.

I don’t care how much and in how many different ways CL tries to defend himself & his publisher.

M&F’s bottom line responsibility is to its paying readers – whoever they are, and whatever their preferences.
There’s only one way to gauge how well this ploy works, and that is to go by the numbers.

If sales drop for that month, then M&F learns a hard lesson that they will hopefully be wise enough to not repeat.

If they sell significantly more copies with Kim on the cover, then it means they gave the customers what they wanted, and it doesn’t matter how disgruntled a handful of people on a message board are, because they obviously don’t represent the masses.
And if you argue that those increased numbers don’t count because they’re new readers and not the loyal “regulars,” then you’re WRONG.

EVERYBODY who pays is a customer, and increasing customer base is good for business.

They may get a few loyalists who boycott, but boycotts are often only temporary, and many will be weakened when the protestors need their fix of what the rest of the magazine offers, and they realize it’s just a f###ing cover.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 09:03:34 PM »
Then why do people buy M&FH?

Who are the people that buy it? I don't think the mag is made for fitness models or physique competitors... That's a pretty small number of people to buy a mag if that's the case.

I'm sure the point is to increase readership... So showing a fit, yet not masculine chick on the cover is probably the way.

Most women I see on the cover of M&FH are not any better physique wise than she is as far as I can tell.
ahh go to muscle and fitness hers website and look at those chicks they are in a lot better shape than she is...im not saying she is in bad shape or she doesnt look good bro all im saying is that
http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/features/19

I understand trying to get more readers but the point i was trying to make that you missed is that the traditional reader of this mag probably isnt looking for that physique in general. Just like MD, flex etc...dont have skinny twinks on their covers do they? No b/c they know thats not targeting their readers, i think what the ladies who were upset about this are saying is that this isnt why they buy the magazine.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »
ahh go to muscle and fitness hers website and look at those chicks they are in a lot better shape than she is...im not saying she is in bad shape or she doesnt look good bro all im saying is that
http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/features/19

I understand trying to get more readers but the point i was trying to make that you missed is that the traditional reader of this mag probably isnt looking for that physique in general. Just like MD, flex etc...dont have skinny twinks on their covers do they? No b/c they know thats not targeting their readers, i think what the ladies who were upset about this are saying is that this isnt why they buy the magazine.

I understand, but remember, M&F is not the "Hardcore" publication that either Flex or MD is. So, I would expect M&F hers to also not be all "Hardcore"

I think this is trying to expand readership and is probably a good thing for the mag.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 09:53:58 PM »
 ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 09:56:27 PM »
I understand, but remember, M&F is not the "Hardcore" publication that either Flex or MD is. So, I would expect M&F hers to also not be all "Hardcore"

I think this is trying to expand readership and is probably a good thing for the mag.
no doubt i was just trying to get other to see the point of view of the ppl who were upset by this.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 11:31:19 PM »
Kim looks teh awesome.  Only people who don't like her are closet queers and ugly women who are jealous of her. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
Bootyliscious!!!!!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 12:34:27 AM »
Man, calfzilla would like him some Kim K.   :P