Author Topic: Mike Tyson benching 405 for 3!!  (Read 58694 times)

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
Re: Mike Tyson benching 405 for 3!!
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2007, 04:05:27 PM »
If you ever watched Bret work with the big guys you could see he was a strong man. Angle looks like shit now, but this was supposedly in his prime. You dont need 21" arms to bench big numbers, hell apparently Joanie Laurer (chyna) could bench 315
Scouser on Tour

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 04:07:06 PM »
If you ever watched Bret work with the big guys you could see he was a strong man. Angle looks like shit now, but this was supposedly in his prime. You dont need 21" arms to bench big numbers, hell apparently Joanie Laurer (chyna) could bench 315
hahahaha, "you don't need big arms to bench big numbers", i'll file that one in the bullshit file, you don't really believe that "chyna" benched 315 do you?

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
you don't really believe that "chyna" benched 315 do you?

I want to believe...

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2007, 04:16:21 PM »
I want to believe...

Did anyone see her mental breakdown on the Howard Stern Show when she took all her clothes off?

She's lost alot of muscle but she's got a great fucking body on her now. Even her face is a little more feminine

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2007, 04:17:53 PM »
hahahaha, "you don't need big arms to bench big numbers", i'll file that one in the bullshit file, you don't really believe that "chyna" benched 315 do you?

so tell me why there are 16-17 year old kids with average sized arms benching in the mid 400's then

Not sure about the Chyna numbers but she was a strong woman ill give her that
Scouser on Tour

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »
so tell me why there are 16-17 year old kids with average sized arms benching in the mid 400's then

Not sure about the Chyna numbers but she was a strong woman ill give her that
no there aren't, not legitimatly at least, maybe with a heavy duty shirt and five dudes pulling on the weight, there has never been a legitimate 16 year old 450 pound bencher and there never will be, not with just a t shirt, one guy giving him a liftoff only, all the way to the chest up to full lockout.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2007, 04:39:58 PM »
I can believe 315 for Chyna
X

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2007, 04:41:02 PM »
I can believe 315 for Chyna
no way, i would give her 225 for 3 or 4 maybe and even that's a stretch.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »
he hardly lifted a weight? Keith, fuckin hell mate you dont get built like he was without lifting. I dont see how many here think it impossible. He probably walked around weighing 240+ back then and he was notoriously strong, but then if you say that "a friend" saw a near 40, worn out rag of tyson struggling to bench his weight then im guessing your word is gospel. Bret Hart and Kurt Angle have both been documented as being able to bench 405

With his diet and exercise routine and hitting the heavy and doing what situps, pushups and neck work he did, yes you can get like that.  He never weighed 240.  Have you ever seen Hershel Walker or Bob Hayes.  You see him in videos and he was fairly smalled growing up.  SHorter and stockier but nothing that anyone would call huge or even close to to 240. Gymnasts are strong as hell and they aren't heavy.  I highly doubt Tyson ever did 405 3 times and let alone once.  Why would he.  Back then the trainers didn't like their fighters lifting weights.  So more than likely he never benched 405.  Hope this helps.

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2007, 06:50:09 PM »
NEVER!!! This guy weighed around 200pds ::)

whats your point

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2007, 07:03:05 PM »
With his diet and exercise routine and hitting the heavy and doing what situps, pushups and neck work he did, yes you can get like that.  He never weighed 240.  Have you ever seen Hershel Walker or Bob Hayes.  You see him in videos and he was fairly smalled growing up.  SHorter and stockier but nothing that anyone would call huge or even close to to 240. Gymnasts are strong as hell and they aren't heavy.  I highly doubt Tyson ever did 405 3 times and let alone once.  Why would he.  Back then the trainers didn't like their fighters lifting weights.  So more than likely he never benched 405.  Hope this helps.

if he fought at 220-225 then its a fair assumption to say he could have been 240 out of training. Look at Ricky Hatton, hes een known to go 40lbs above his fighting weight. And i seriously doubt he never used weights, you dont look like he did from pushups and dips
Scouser on Tour

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2007, 12:12:27 AM »
if he fought at 220-225 then its a fair assumption to say he could have been 240 out of training. Look at Ricky Hatton, hes een known to go 40lbs above his fighting weight. And i seriously doubt he never used weights, you dont look like he did from pushups and dips

When was Tyson out of training in the 90's.  He fought like every month at the begining of his carreer.  He never tool much time off in the 90's.  He got his neck strong and big as hell and never used weights for his neck.

ForMotherRussia

• Getbig II
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2007, 12:47:30 AM »
When was Tyson out of training in the 90's.  He fought like every month at the begining of his carreer.  He never tool much time off in the 90's.  He got his neck strong and big as hell and never used weights for his neck.
of course he was lifting weights... u r making no sense... Check ur facts sir, u'll be suprised

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2007, 01:46:17 AM »
Onlyme, have a look at this picture, you saying this physique was nt at all built with weights?!?!

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2007, 01:55:38 AM »
i certainly believe it. i am the same height and weight as tyson was in his heyday, and i can bench over 320 for 3, and i aint the strongest mofo around. guy had immense power!!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2007, 03:50:50 AM »
what Onlyme is saying is that tyson is one of those mofos that are naturally thick, dense and strong as hell. this is exactly what cus d'amato saw when he proclaimed that a 13 year old complete novice was going to be the hw champion of the world.

as keith said, tyson built his massive neck without barbells and dumbells, just bridging exercises with body weight and occasional high rep shrugs with a weight that your average bber would do db curls with.

the current version of tyson (let's say from ettienne on) probably does do weights like bench press. looking at his thicker build in recent times it is probably true, but the reality is that it hasn't helped him to be a better fighter.

he has lost much of his movement, agilty and speed, but that has more to do with age and lack of motivation than any possible weight training he is doing.

keith is also correct about how boxers were trained back then.

i grew up in boxing gyms and people here wouldn't believe how archaic PROFESSIONAL boxing trainers continue to be.

running, running and more running including sprints and interval training.

skipping, skipping and more skipping includin sprints and interval skipping.

lots of heavy bag, speed ball, floor to ceiling, focus mits, basically anything capable of being hit.

shadow

pushups, situps ad nauseum...

partner drills

sparring

repeat

EVERYONE was dead against any form of weight training and anyone with an open mind would advocate light weights only. i was told if i had any energy left over from the above protocol i obviously wasn't training hard enough. 'do more running son.' ::)

holyfield was considered to be committing heracy when news got out that he was training with some bber guy (haney), but he did a lot to dispell the myths associated with it.

ironically enough he managed to out muscle one of the strongest fighters of all time (tyson) and made believers out of a few of these naysayers.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2007, 11:11:30 AM »
what Onlyme is saying is that tyson is one of those mofos that are naturally thick, dense and strong as hell. this is exactly what cus d'amato saw when he proclaimed that a 13 year old complete novice was going to be the hw champion of the world.

as keith said, tyson built his massive neck without barbells and dumbells, just bridging exercises with body weight and occasional high rep shrugs with a weight that your average bber would do db curls with.

the current version of tyson (let's say from ettienne on) probably does do weights like bench press. looking at his thicker build in recent times it is probably true, but the reality is that it hasn't helped him to be a better fighter.

he has lost much of his movement, agilty and speed, but that has more to do with age and lack of motivation than any possible weight training he is doing.

keith is also correct about how boxers were trained back then.

i grew up in boxing gyms and people here wouldn't believe how archaic PROFESSIONAL boxing trainers continue to be.

running, running and more running including sprints and interval training.

skipping, skipping and more skipping includin sprints and interval skipping.

lots of heavy bag, speed ball, floor to ceiling, focus mits, basically anything capable of being hit.

shadow

pushups, situps ad nauseum...

partner drills

sparring

repeat

EVERYONE was dead against any form of weight training and anyone with an open mind would advocate light weights only. i was told if i had any energy left over from the above protocol i obviously wasn't training hard enough. 'do more running son.' ::)

holyfield was considered to be committing heracy when news got out that he was training with some bber guy (haney), but he did a lot to dispell the myths associated with it.

ironically enough he managed to out muscle one of the strongest fighters of all time (tyson) and made believers out of a few of these naysayers.

Exactly.  Not to say Tyson was boxing back in the day when other athletes lifted becasue that started around the mid 80's or so.  But, the people in Tyson camp definitely lived the old ways.  Gus was old school all the way.  Back in the 70's and before most athletes stayed away from lifting because everyone thought is woudl cause you to be to tight and not be able to move as well.  Very little or any lifting was done at all.  Especially in boxing because the last thing they want would be a slower and shorter punch.  Tyson is a brickhouse.  He has natural size and strength.  I too had this.  I have always been stronger than my friends and most others naturally.  I think allot of my strength came from gymnastics though.  Tyson IF he lifted at all did not do it heavy.  As my friend said when he was training Tyson, he was very awkward and didn't lift as though he had been doing it all his life.  Look at Joe Frazier he to was a thick fighter just not as cut up as Tyson (from dieting and roadwork).  I am not saying Tyson didn't ANY weights, I am saying he did not lift weights to get that size and to get stronger.  He got his punching power from being able to use his hips and transfer that power to his fists.  When he hit you it was with all his bodyweight behind it.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2007, 11:21:45 AM »
At 12 years old and 200 lbs, and benching 200+. Yep, I'd say he was a beast. But I guess you were bigger and stronger than he was.  ::) ::)  Tyson vs Squadfather

umm...you are forgetting this this Squad father, the same guy whose days revolve around going to the gym and waiting around to make fun of skinny white emo men and their equally skinny emo girlfriend.
Here comes the money shot

SwingGuru

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2007, 10:32:45 PM »
1st off, I've been around Iron Mike several times back in the late 90s, and unless all that GH is finally starting to kick in he is no where near 5'11".  Maybe 5'9" at best.  Very short arms... back in the day he went almost 220.   You bet he could put up 405 for 3.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
1st off, I've been around Iron Mike several times back in the late 90s, and unless all that GH is finally starting to kick in he is no where near 5'11".  Maybe 5'9" at best.  Very short arms... back in the day he went almost 220.   You bet he could put up 405 for 3.
bullshit.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2007, 11:29:19 AM »
i remember the promo clip for the holyfield tyson second fight he was curling 198 for reps
choice is an illusion

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2007, 11:40:23 AM »

I don't know how much Mike can't lift but the height of 5'9" sounds about right.

he use to hold boxing seminars a couple of times in Brownsville Brooklyn a couple of years ago. It usually attracted a good size crowd it was always interesting how show he was but even with a sweat shirt on you could see how powerfull he was.  I think part of his power came from his short/compact from frame.

I agree with Squad in that I think that he was the greatest of all time IMHO.

I remember growing up that everyone use to get mad when they bought the tyson fight on pay per view! the fights never lasted past 3 rounds.
Here comes the money shot

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »

atleast check what youre saying Keith, there was enough time between his fights for him to put on a good few lbs

1991-03-18 217 Donovan Ruddock (3 month break)

1990-12-08 217¾ Alex Stewart (6 month break)

1990-06-16 217 Henry Tillman   (4 month break)

1990-02-11 220½ James Buster Douglas (7 month break)

1989-07-21 219¼ Carl Williams (5 month break)

1989-02-25 218 Frank Bruno (8 month break)

1988-06-27 218¼ Michael Spinks (3 month break)

1988-03-21 216¼ Tony Tubbs 

1988-01-22 215¾ Larry Holmes 225¾
Scouser on Tour

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2007, 06:38:11 PM »
atleast check what youre saying Keith, there was enough time between his fights for him to put on a good few lbs

1991-03-18 217 Donovan Ruddock (3 month break)

1990-12-08 217¾ Alex Stewart (6 month break)

1990-06-16 217 Henry Tillman   (4 month break)

1990-02-11 220½ James Buster Douglas (7 month break)

1989-07-21 219¼ Carl Williams (5 month break)

1989-02-25 218 Frank Bruno (8 month break)

1988-06-27 218¼ Michael Spinks (3 month break)

1988-03-21 216¼ Tony Tubbs 

1988-01-22 215¾ Larry Holmes 225¾

I said at the beginnning of his carreer like in the mid 80's.  Please read what I said.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »
I wonder if Tyson could bench 535 at 181 lbs with no bench shirt?   ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."