Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Injury and Rehabilitation

Posterior labrum surgery recovery timeline

(1/7) > >>

Jimmy L:
On December 31 I'm getting surgery for a posterior labrum tear from the 8 to 11 o clock position. My doc and PT have come up with this timeline. I'm going to be 28 years old. People who have had this surgery or know about this kind of surgery tell me what you think:

1) Mon. 12-31-07 get surgery for a torn labrum.
2) Weds. 01-07-08 1 WEEK POST SURGERY start physical therapy with my therapist.
3) Mon. 02-04-08 5 WEEKS POST SURGERY take off sling.
4) Mon. 02-18-08 7 WEEKS POST SURGERY stop physical therapy with my therapist and start my own physical therapy strengthening program (under the eye of my PT, I will be doing this at his facility).
5) Mon. 03-31-08 3 MONTHS POST SURGERY start running on treadmill.
6) Mon. 06-02-08 5 MONTHS POST SURGERY stop physical therapy strengthening program and start light weightlifting with no restrictions.
7) Mon. 07-14-08 6 1/2 MONTHS POST SURGERY start boxing training.

What do you guys think? Is it too conservative and I should speed it up? Is it too pushy and I should fall back on some things? What do you guys think? Is this a good post labrum surgery recovery schedule?

Jimmy L:
Anyone?

eho:
it sounds about right, on average.

but I like to go according to a Functional Progression of return to activity guidelines.   Your recovery will dictate what you can do and when.  Try to keep things relatively light and in the pain-free range of motion.

I wouldn't rush things, cuz what you think is feeling fine, may still not be strong enough to handle what you're wanting to do.  Tissues need to repair, and stabilize.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with conservative.   You should not be completely sore the next day and furthermore, you shouldn't be developing soreness during your rehab exercises.

good luck

Tedim:
Got cut Jan 3, 2013 labrum tear 10 to 2 with bursa removed and some bone removal. MVA impact dislocated left shoulder from seatbelt.

Still sore and have pain but not like before surgery, very tight. Lifted heavy reps low weight before surgery to strengthen, but looks like had no positive effect. Range of motion at 80% stuck at 155-160 degrees. Paranoid that I re-injured the tear but have been very careful. Started walking treadmill day 7 and PT for 8 weeks now discontinued. Would like some info from fully recovered folks on timeline of recovery and hurdles to watch out for.

Today first time tried bum bells 10's and feel sore with pain. Pain is pinching sensation and dull nagging pain that I have after stretching daily (today just more pronounced). Over the 12 weeks pain has improved but still persists on occasion. Feedback and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Archer77:
Had the surgery myself in 2008 by Dr. Samani.  Like Tedim I had bursa and bone removal.  Healing from the surgery itself was fairly quick.  Gaining full mobility took a little longer, up to a year.  I was very cautiously lifting weights by week four.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version