Author Topic: knee pain. squats?  (Read 26886 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: knee pain. squats?
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
squatting on a bench?  What do you mean?  Like drag a flat bench into the squat rack?  ???
Yes, then straddle it and sit down until your ass touches the bench, just touch and go.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »
Mark Rippetoe is a great coach but there are some things I don't agree with. First rule of thumb is if it hurts don't do it. On the other hand, if the knee pain doesn't hurt in a saggital plain, see what happens in a lateral plain. I suspect one of two things, meniscus or patella tendonitis. If you have patella tendonitis chances are your quad isn't firing. One way to check that is to flex your quad like in a leg extension and see if there is a hard contraction, if it isn't chances are that's it.

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 04:44:42 PM »
what's a saggital plain?

Also when I straighten my leg and flex my quad it's hard.  So it's not pantella tendonitis then?

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »
hey man i feel your pain.Im currently getting physio cos i pretty much have the same thing.
I can squat after a decent warmup, heavy poundages and no pain UNTIL i finish the set then by the time ive cooled down etc it kills if i bend my knee to pick something up or even getting in and out the car.Ive not been told what it is yet though, theyre tryin to figure it out apparently

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »
hey man i feel your pain.Im currently getting physio cos i pretty much have the same thing.
I can squat after a decent warmup, heavy poundages and no pain UNTIL i finish the set then by the time ive cooled down etc it kills if i bend my knee to pick something up or even getting in and out the car.Ive not been told what it is yet though, theyre tryin to figure it out apparently
interesting man you will have to keep me updated.  I am to much of a baby to go and get this checked.  Rather ask people on the internet LOL!

I feel the most pain when I am at work on my feet all day.  Anytime that I have to bend down or even if I am standing in place and just flex my right knee.  The pain just sucks.

Right now like sitting at the computer and flex my knee, 0 pain it's weird.

At the gym I only have a little pain when doing warm ups.  Once I start going heavy it goes away.  After I am done my squats it's not bad.  When I leave the gym on my bike 0 pain again.

Doesn't make sense to me.  Doesn't sound like a meniscus tear from what I have read.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »
Nobody thinks squatting 3 times a week is too much??
Masters- 50-54
148#

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »
Nobody thinks squatting 3 times a week is too much??
what do you think it is?  The Starting Strength program says to do that.  I haven't heard many people who did the program get any knee injures.  Maybe I was just unlucky.

I love squatting 3 times a week.  Maybe that's the reason why it's my best.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
Well, I was thinking just to much. Even if you go heavy /light/ light, thats seems like a lot of wear & tear on the knees  :-\.

Things have changed maybe I'm old and should just shut up LOL,  but I was always brought up with the thinking each bodypart should be trained at the most twice a week.
Masters- 50-54
148#

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »
Well, I was thinking just to much. Even if you go heavy /light/ light, thats seems like a lot of wear & tear on the knees  :-\.

Things have changed maybe I'm old and should just shut up LOL,  but I was always brought up with the thinking each bodypart should be trained at the most twice a week.
well duly noted  :) Maybe I'll ask on a few more bodybuilding forums.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
I think if you mix it up, box squats, safety bar squats, wide/narrow, deep/shallow.....light/heavy......blah blah........3 times is still alot but should be OK.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
I am going on vacation in 3 weeks.  I will be gone for a month and a half.  No lifting at all.

So we will see if this heals or not.

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 05:38:37 PM »
only did squats on Monday the 10th just to see if anything would change.  By Wed/Thurs at work it felt pretty good.  Flexing it it after standing still for a while there wasn't much pain.  Now the 16th I have 0 pain.  Can go my knees right to the ground without any pain.

My last week of lifting before vacation.  I'll decide when I come back if I should go back to 3x a week or just do squats 1 day.  It's my favorite exercise so we will see.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
only did squats on Monday the 10th just to see if anything would change.  By Wed/Thurs at work it felt pretty good.  Flexing it it after standing still for a while there wasn't much pain.  Now the 16th I have 0 pain.  Can go my knees right to the ground without any pain.

My last week of lifting before vacation.  I'll decide when I come back if I should go back to 3x a week or just do squats 1 day.  It's my favorite exercise so we will see.
I'd lean towards cutting back, maybe just twice a week? Like a speed day and a heavy day?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!