Author Topic: The Trump-Russia Conspiracy Theory (aka The Big Lie)  (Read 224635 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: The Trump-Russia Conspiracy Theory
« Reply #1075 on: May 29, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
He's not going to answer questions?  Not surprised one bit.  If he gets put under oath and is asked when he knew this Russia conspiracy theory was a hoax, it would not end well for him.  He's nothing more than a useful idiot at this point. 

Dems ramp up calls for Trump impeachment after Mueller speaks out on Russia probe
By Ronn Blitzer | Fox News
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dems-rally-behind-mueller-statement-poised-to-impeach

I think he means that everything he has to say about this matter is in his final report. Therefore, it's up to Congress to make the next move. -Smart move on his part.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #1076 on: May 30, 2019, 11:26:37 AM »
I think he means that everything he has to say about this matter is in his final report. Therefore, it's up to Congress to make the next move. -Smart move on his part.

BS.  He obviously struck a deal with Nadler et al. that if he makes a public statement that Nadler would stop talking about forcing Mueller to testify.  Note how Nadler immediately read a written statement right after Mueller finished speaking.  How the heck did he know what Mueller was going to say?? 

And when a reporter asked Nadler if he was still going to subpoena Mueller, Nadler didn't answer the question. 

There is no way Mueller is going to testify and get asked tough questions about this sham of an investigation and report.  Especially after he just gave Democrats something to keep talking about.   

Mueller also sounded pretty feeble.  I was surprised. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1077 on: May 30, 2019, 12:01:10 PM »
Mueller Backtracks On Presser, Tries To Clarify Matters In Joint Statement With Bill Barr
Posted at 8:05 am on May 30, 2019 by Bonchie
https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2019/05/30/mueller-backtracks-presser-tries-clarify-matters-joint-statement-bill-barr/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1078 on: May 30, 2019, 04:27:02 PM »
Robert Mueller's 'no questions' routine is absolute nonsense
BY JONATHAN TURLEY, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 05/30/19

The very first and purportedly only press conference by special counsel Robert Mueller had the feeling of a Mount Sinai moment for Washington this week. Indeed, his message seemed to be the same as that of Moses, which is have faith and do not question. Mueller spoke some 1,200 words before virtually admonishing the press corps that “I hope and expect this to be the only time that I will speak to you in this manner.” After refusing to answer questions, he went back to the place from whence he came.

Last week, I wrote that it has become sacrilegious to question the motives or performance of Mueller. His press conference was the greatest test of such blind faith. Mueller announced that “the report is my testimony” and that he would not answer questions from Congress either, beyond what is already in his final report. From anyone else, such a statement would be denounced as arrogant, evasive, or both. However, many members of Congress and the media accepted it as the gospel according to Mueller.

The problem is that Mueller was uttering absolute nonsense about his inability to reach a conclusion. He likewise did not offer a principled basis for refusing to answer any questions. This includes obvious questions such as why he refused to comply with the request from his superiors to identify grand jury material, which delayed the release of his report. The disconnect in the coverage of his remarks was striking. Attorney General William Barr testified for hours on his role and has answered dozens of questions. He was promptly dismissed as evasive and even perjurious. Mueller declared he would tolerate no questions and declined to address any of the criticism of his work with very little objection from the media.

The press conference this week should be an embarrassment for the Justice Department. The agency has long maintained that the special counsel could perform the same function as an independent counsel in determining whether high ranking officials committed criminal acts. For two years, Congress and the Justice Department expressly anticipated findings of any criminal conduct. Mueller employed a massive staff and spent tens of millions of dollars. Yet, it now appears that he never intended to make any findings of possible crimes by President Trump.

Mueller insisted that, because there is a Justice Department policy not to indict a sitting president, he interpreted that to bar him from finding the basis for criminal conduct. According to Mueller, you can investigate but not reach basic conclusions on what the investigation found. One could understand why he would not be eager to answer questions about such an absurd interpretation, when his cited sources directly contradict him.

I testified on these flawed memos from the Office of Legal Counsel during the Clinton impeachment. Like many other academics, I view the policy as unsupported by either the Constitution or the convention debates, but that does not matter because the memos have simply nothing to do with a special counsel finding criminal conduct by a president. The memos focus entirely on the indictment and prosecution of a sitting president. They do conclude that being a defendant in a criminal case would thus prevent any president from performing his duties, but they do not challenge the need to investigate a sitting president. History shows presidents routinely accused of criminal conduct, including in impeachment proceedings.

Indeed, President Clinton was investigated and found to have committed crimes by an independent counsel. The Justice Department memos did not find that the investigation or such findings were improper. When the Independent Counsel Act subsequently expired, Congress was assured that the same investigatory function would be performed by any special counsels. The memos only addressed when a president can be indicted and said that prosecution must wait until he leaves office, since he could not function while in the docket of a criminal court or a federal prison.

Mueller has insisted that the policy “says that the Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” That is not actually what it says. The Justice Department concluded that its view “remains that a sitting president is constitutionally immune from indictment and criminal prosecution.” It focuses on the prosecution of sitting presidents, not the investigation of sitting presidents. In referencing a process other than the criminal justice system, it refers to the only legal way to remove a president from office.

Nothing in the memos even remotely bars a special counsel from reaching conclusions on the basis of possible criminal charges. Indeed, the memos accept that the Justice Department needs to establish such evidence to preserve a record for possible later charges. That is why Mueller was told by his superiors that there was no policy barring him from finding criminal conduct, only the policy against indicting while the president is in office. Even if you twist the memos to suggest some prohibition to reaching conclusions on criminal conduct, that debate should have ended when his two superiors, the attorney general and deputy attorney general, told him there was no such policy and asked him to reach a conclusion.

His instructions and mandate were crystal clear. His position is even more nonsensical when you look at what he has already done. Mueller declared that “we concluded that we would not reach a determination one way or the other about whether the president committed a crime.” Yet, Mueller contradicted that statement when he declared that “if we had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime we would have said so.”

So which is it? Mueller actually did reach a “determination one way or the other” on crimes related to collusion. In his special counsel report, he found that he could “not establish that members of the Trump campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.” In effect, Mueller ultimately came across as almost coquettish in his declaration that he would not make a clear finding of a possible crime but could not rule out criminal conduct by the president.

In other words, Mueller can produce hundreds of pages of evidence of possible criminal conduct and repeatedly refer to not exonerating Trump of crimes but somehow cannot reach a conclusion on the weight of the evidence. Of course,Mueller did not address such questions because he would not tolerate questions. The media simply listened obediently as he claimed that he was only being “fair” when he repeated that he could not clear Trump of the crime. That, of course, led the media to declare that Mueller really was searching for criminal conduct with a wink and a nod.

Whatever space Mueller occupied in maintaining such a position, it was neither created nor countenanced by federal law or Justice Department policy. Instead, he accepted the job of special counsel and then radically redefined it, without telling anyone outside of his staff. In that sense, he failed as special counsel. Mueller was not appointed to be a chronicler of allegations. Mueller was appointed to perform a prosecutorial function in the investigation of a president and his associates. Moreover, he does not get to dictate what Congress can investigate, or to stonewall the media.

I agree with Mueller on his hope and expectation that this will be “the only time that I will speak to you in this manner.” Next time, I hope and expect Mueller will finally address the growing questions about his investigation.

Jonathan Turley is the Shapiro Professor of Public Interest Law at George Washington University. You can follow him on Twitter @JonathanTurley.

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/446103-robert-mueller-no-questions-routine-is-absolute-nonsense

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1079 on: June 03, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »
Self-Preservation Is The Only Reason Democrats Could Object To Declassifying Spygate Docs
It is difficult to comprehend why any member of Congress would object to the president’s decision to disclose the truth behind one of the biggest scandals in U.S. history.
By Elad Hakim
MAY 28, 2019

On Thursday, President Trump gave Attorney General William Barr the authority to declassify any documents related to surveillance of the Trump campaign in 2016. Immediately some congressional Democrats blasted Trump’s decision and began to politicize the move.

It is difficult to comprehend why any member of Congress would object to the president’s decision to disclose the truth behind one of the biggest scandals in U.S. history. To the contrary, all members should welcome this information with open arms and should refrain from politicizing the president’s decision.

Shortly after Trump authorized Barr to declassify the documents, California Democrat Rep. Adam Schiff criticized the move. According to The Daily Caller, Schiff stated, “While Trump stonewalls the public from learning the truth about his obstruction of justice, Trump and Barr conspire to weaponize law enforcement and classified information against their political enemies. The coverup has entered a new and dangerous phase. This is un-American.”

Schiff’s comments are perplexing. On the one hand, Schiff and his fellow members of Congress should welcome this information so as to discover the truth, deliver justice to the real perpetrators, and to slowly bring closure to a country that desperately needs it.

After all, the American public was fed a false Russia-collusion narrative for years. The investigation into this false narrative was very costly and further polarized our country. Moreover, the narrative ruined numerous people’s lives and compromised the credibility of some of the nation’s most sacred and respected institutions, including the FBI and CIA. Therefore, from a “what is best for the country” perspective, all members of Congress (who are elected by, and serve, the people) should welcome this information.

Based on the troubling information that has been disclosed to date, the pending inspector general report, the ongoing U.S. attorney’s investigation, Barr’s investigations, and the utter failure of the Mueller report to establish collusion or obstruction, Schiff and other Democrats are understandably nervous about what the American public will learn once the declassified material is released. Therefore, from a political standpoint, Democrats know that the release of this information could create big problems for Democrats come 2020. This is especially true among moderates and independents, who are not hard core “anti-Trumpers.”

Unfortunately, there is a clear disconnect between Democrats’ political aspirations and what is best for the country. Otherwise, why would any member of Congress object to learning the truth behind what really happened?

For example, who ordered the surveillance on the Trump campaign? Why? What steps were taken to put this surveillance in motion and who was involved? What was the basis for this surveillance and how was it obtained? The answers to these questions are vital to establish closure for the American public and to deliver justice to the people who were involved in any wrongdoing, regardless of their political affiliation.

It is inconceivable that any member of Congress would turn down the opportunity to learn the truth behind one of the largest political scandals in U.S. history. As White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement, “Today’s action will help ensure that all Americans learn the truth about the events that occurred, and the actions that were taken, during the last Presidential election and will restore confidence in our public institutions.”

All members of Congress should welcome this information with open arms, including Schiff. It is an opportunity to get to the bottom of a scandal, the likes of which this country has never seen. If Congress is so concerned with transparency and oversight, the release of this information could provide a treasure trove of new information. The concern among some could lie, not in the act of releasing the documents, per se, but in what the documents will ultimately reveal.

Contrary to Schiff’s characterization, there is nothing “un-American” about exposing a possible, and likely, coup to remove a duly elected president from office. There is nothing “un-American” about exposing one or more people who allegedly and improperly spied on the Trump campaign. To the contrary, it would be irresponsible not to disclose this information.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/28/self-preservation-reason-democrats-object-declassifying-spygate-documents/

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1080 on: June 03, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »
BS.  He obviously struck a deal with Nadler et al. that if he makes a public statement that Nadler would stop talking about forcing Mueller to testify.  Note how Nadler immediately read a written statement right after Mueller finished speaking.  How the heck did he know what Mueller was going to say?? 

And when a reporter asked Nadler if he was still going to subpoena Mueller, Nadler didn't answer the question. 

There is no way Mueller is going to testify and get asked tough questions about this sham of an investigation and report.  Especially after he just gave Democrats something to keep talking about.   

Mueller also sounded pretty feeble.  I was surprised. 

If Mueller refuses to testify and House Judiciary Committee demands his testimony, Mueller will have to comply. Will he be a hostile witness?

7 hours ago: It's Still Unclear If Robert Mueller Will Testify Before Congress, But Lawmakers Are Moving Ahead Anyway

https://time.com/5600016/robert-mueller-testimony-congress-hearing/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1081 on: June 03, 2019, 07:52:05 PM »
If Mueller refuses to testify and House Judiciary Committee demands his testimony, Mueller will have to comply. Will he be a hostile witness?

7 hours ago: It's Still Unclear If Robert Mueller Will Testify Before Congress, But Lawmakers Are Moving Ahead Anyway

https://time.com/5600016/robert-mueller-testimony-congress-hearing/

He isn't going to be hostile.  He's too feeble.  But if he does testify it will be a lot of:  it's in the report. 

Honestly, I want to see him lie under oath about precisely when he knew that Russia hoax was actually a hoax.  It was early.  Very early. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1082 on: June 03, 2019, 08:10:51 PM »
He isn't going to be hostile.  He's too feeble.  But if he does testify it will be a lot of:  it's in the report. 

Honestly, I want to see him lie under oath about precisely when he knew that Russia hoax was actually a hoax.  It was early.  Very early. 

-Emotionally feeble, physically feeble or both? He is 74 years old as am I. I'm definitely slowing down but my mind still works and I get around fine....even at the gym.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1083 on: June 03, 2019, 08:54:43 PM »
Mueller Backtracks On Presser, Tries To Clarify Matters In Joint Statement With Bill Barr
Posted at 8:05 am on May 30, 2019 by Bonchie
https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2019/05/30/mueller-backtracks-presser-tries-clarify-matters-joint-statement-bill-barr/

You do realize Mueller didn't back track? He has said from day one he would not make a determination of guilt due to the OLC ruling. Which he didn't. He has never said "He was guilty but because of the OLC ruling, I can't say that". You see the difference? There isn't much.

I agree that talking heads made that assertion, but Mueller never did. But he also said if he were confident the president Didn't commit a crime, he would say so. There was no back tracking. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1084 on: June 04, 2019, 10:44:24 AM »
You do realize Mueller didn't back track? He has said from day one he would not make a determination of guilt due to the OLC ruling. Which he didn't. He has never said "He was guilty but because of the OLC ruling, I can't say that". You see the difference? There isn't much.

I agree that talking heads made that assertion, but Mueller never did. But he also said if he were confident the president Didn't commit a crime, he would say so. There was no back tracking. 

Yes there was.  He told Barr three times that his decision not to recommend criminal charges was NOT due to the OLC opinion.  Then he made a public statement that led people to believe that's why he took no position.  Clear contradiction. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #1085 on: June 04, 2019, 12:35:51 PM »
Yes there was.  He told Barr three times that his decision not to recommend criminal charges was NOT due to the OLC opinion.  Then he made a public statement that led people to believe that's why he took no position.  Clear contradiction. 

LOL! He told Barr.... when? any audio? Has Mueller said he told barr that? If you read the Mueller report or even parts of it, you will see it plain as day, he was pissed Sessions didn't act like his personal lawyer, didn't protect him, and that's what he wanted in an AG. He then picks Barr... Barr is doing exactly what Trump wants. Mueller has made it clear the OLC ruling had a lot to do with his decision to call a duck a duck. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1086 on: June 04, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »
LOL! He told Barr.... when? any audio? Has Mueller said he told barr that? If you read the Mueller report or even parts of it, you will see it plain as day, he was pissed Sessions didn't act like his personal lawyer, didn't protect him, and that's what he wanted in an AG. He then picks Barr... Barr is doing exactly what Trump wants. Mueller has made it clear the OLC ruling had a lot to do with his decision to call a duck a duck. 

He told Barr in the presence of several witnesses.  Mueller has not contradicted that assertion at all.  So cling to your dumb conspiracy theory if you want.   :)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #1087 on: June 04, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »
He told Barr in the presence of several witnesses.  Mueller has not contradicted that assertion at all.  So cling to your dumb conspiracy theory if you want.   :)

You are right here.

They have witnessness of Mueller saying the OLC ruling had nothing to do with his decision.

It was only brought up at the press conference to confuse and keep the impeachment thing going.

The democrats really need to concentrate on their candidate.

Their top candidate will get destroyed on his record.

Their runner up is a complete communist loon.

Won't cut it.
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1088 on: June 04, 2019, 04:29:44 PM »
You are right here.

They have witnessness of Mueller saying the OLC ruling had nothing to do with his decision.

It was only brought up at the press conference to confuse and keep the impeachment thing going.

The democrats really need to concentrate on their candidate.

Their top candidate will get destroyed on his record.

Their runner up is a complete communist loon.

Won't cut it.

Completely agree.  I mentioned this in another post, but Biden is not much different than Bob Dole, McCain, Hillary Clinton, and Romney in that they hung around long enough to be gifted the nomination, only to go down in flames in the general election. 

And if Bernie is the alternative, they are really screwed. 

I guess they figure their only hope is to keep trying to divert attention away from their sorry lot of candidates, the economy, foreign policy, etc. 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1089 on: June 04, 2019, 06:25:00 PM »
You expect audio of this interaction but you're ok with convicted the President of the United States of America based on heresy? Un-Fucking_believable.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1090 on: June 07, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1091 on: June 07, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
5 Discrepancies Call the Accuracy of Mueller’s Report Into Question
BY JEFF CARLSON
June 5, 2019 Updated: June 7, 2019
https://www.theepochtimes.com/5-discrepancies-call-the-accuracy-of-muellers-report-into-question_2951924.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1092 on: June 25, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
Now THIS time President Trump is in trouble.  Mueller will disclose precisely how the POTUS was a Manchurian Candidate. 

Mueller to Testify on Russia Probe Before Congress
The move will end a months-long saga on Capitol Hill, where lawmakers have fought to get access to information about whether Trump obstructed justice.
Erin Banco
National Security Reporter
Published 06.25.19

Special Counsel Robert Mueller has agreed to testify before Congress on July 17 on his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, the House Judiciary Committee and House Intelligence Committee announced Tuesday night.

. . . .

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mueller-to-testify-on-russia-probe-before-congress

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1093 on: June 27, 2019, 12:37:11 PM »
Maybe he will finally "flip" and drop a dime on Trump the Manchurian Candidate? 

Manafort pleads not guilty to New York mortgage fraud charges
Andrew O'Reilly By Andrew O'Reilly | Fox News
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/manafort-pleads-not-guilty-to-new-york-mortgage-fraud-charges

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1094 on: July 11, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »
Tucker Carlson, Dan Bongino take on new cartoon version of Mueller report: 'Did they include the Strzok-Page texts?'
By David Montanaro | Fox News

Mueller report now available in cartoon form; Dan Bongino shares a midweek News Explosion on 'Tucker Carlson Tonight.'

Tucker Carlson and Dan Bongino discussed Wednesday the new cartoon version of the Mueller report, created by the website Insider in order to encourage people to read Mueller's findings.

The cartoon and accompanying story of the Mueller report was published on Wednesday.

"We hired the author of 'Black Hawk Down' and an illustrator from 'Archer' to adapt the Mueller report so you'll actually read it," the headline stated.

Responding on "Tucker Carlson Tonight," Carlson said "true believers" produced the cartoon because Trump's critics have concluded that most Americans haven't read Mueller's more than 400-page report.

"CNN was very excited about this," Carlson noted, playing a clip of the network showing the illustrations, and asking former Secret Service agent Dan Bongino whether he's read the cartoon version.

"No, because I don't want to lose neurons and about 20 IQ points by reading this kind of imbecility," he joked, asking whether the cartoons depicted Trump allowing then-White House counsel Don McGahn to testify for 30 hours to Mueller's team.

"What if they include the Peter Strzok texts, where he tells his girlfriend I don't think there's any there there? ... Call me, text me, I'd love to know," said Bongino.

"I suspect it's not," Carlson responded.

Former Special Counsel Robert Mueller is scheduled to testify before two House committees on July 17. Bongino said Republicans should ask Mueller when he determined that there was no collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

The author of "Spygate: The Attempted Sabotage of Donald J. Trump" said he believes it was "no later, at best, than July of 2017."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tucker-carlson-dan-bongino-take-on-new-cartoon-version-of-mueller-report-did-they-include-the-strzok-page-texts

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1095 on: July 11, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »
That's great  ;D

Unless some epic conclusive evidence against Trump suddenly  comes forward, it's over and the country has moved on .
Every major dem candidate said that.

The Jeff Epstein pedo sex ring is using up all the current media attention.
I doubt Trump was involved in any of his perversions but Labor sec Acosta is under the microscope.

Are you lying or just uninformed?  

House Democrats Subpoena 12 People for Trump Dirt, Including Stormy Daniels’ Lawyer
JOSHUA CAPLAN
11 Jul 2019
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/07/11/house-democrats-subpoena-12-people-for-trump-dirt-including-stormy-daniels-lawyer/

House Dems subpoena major Trump figures in Mueller probe
By Mark Moore July 11, 2019
https://nypost.com/2019/07/11/house-dems-subpoena-major-trump-figures-in-mueller-probe/

Confusion hangs over Mueller testimony, as Dems plan marathon hearings
By Brooke Singman | Fox News
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/confusion-hangs-over-mueller-testimony-as-dems-plan-marathon-hearings

Harris: Justice Dept. 'Would Have No Choice' But To Prosecute Trump After Presidency
The NPR Politics Podcast
June 12, 2019
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/08/730941386/harris-justice-dept-would-have-no-choice-but-to-prosecute-trump-after-presidency

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1096 on: July 11, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »
Are you lying or just uninformed?  

House Democrats Subpoena 12 People for Trump Dirt, Including Stormy Daniels’ Lawyer
JOSHUA CAPLAN
11 Jul 2019
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/07/11/house-democrats-subpoena-12-people-for-trump-dirt-including-stormy-daniels-lawyer/

House Dems subpoena major Trump figures in Mueller probe
By Mark Moore July 11, 2019
https://nypost.com/2019/07/11/house-dems-subpoena-major-trump-figures-in-mueller-probe/

Confusion hangs over Mueller testimony, as Dems plan marathon hearings
By Brooke Singman | Fox News
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/confusion-hangs-over-mueller-testimony-as-dems-plan-marathon-hearings

Harris: Justice Dept. 'Would Have No Choice' But To Prosecute Trump After Presidency
The NPR Politics Podcast
June 12, 2019
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/08/730941386/harris-justice-dept-would-have-no-choice-but-to-prosecute-trump-after-presidency

TDS is running wild trough the democratic ranks. We may have to put them all down as the only cure is common sense.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1097 on: July 12, 2019, 07:05:07 PM »
Yes, they often use the Mueller report to gin up their position with the hardcore liberal base.
BUT< when asked what was the main topic for questions while campaigning, they say;
" Most voters don't follow the Mueller investigation or ask many questions about Russia.
They DO ask a lot about health care and jobs, etc"

This is incoherent. ^^^

You said this:

Unless some epic conclusive evidence against Trump suddenly  comes forward, it's over and the country has moved on .
Every major dem candidate said that.

I posted several links showing this is completely false. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1098 on: July 22, 2019, 06:16:45 PM »
How Mueller deputy Andrew Weissmann's offer to an oligarch could boomerang on DOJ
BY JOHN SOLOMON, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 07/22/19

The ink was still drying on special counsel Robert Mueller’s appointment papers when his chief deputy, the famously aggressive and occasionally controversial prosecutor Andrew Weissmann, made a bold but secret overture in early June 2017.

Weissmann quietly reached out to the American lawyers for Ukrainian oligarch Dmitry Firtash with a tempting offer: Give us some dirt on Donald Trump in the Russia case, and Team Mueller might make his 2014 U.S. criminal charges go away.

The specifics of the never-before-reported offer were confirmed to me by multiple sources with direct knowledge, as well as in contemporaneous defense memos I read.

Two years later, Weissmann’s overture may have far-reaching consequences for the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), here and abroad. His former boss, Mueller, is slated to testify Wednesday before Congress.

The DOJ, Mueller’s office and Weissmann did not immediately respond to emails requesting comment on Monday.

At first blush, one might ask, “What’s the big deal?” It’s not unusual for federal prosecutors to steal a page from Monty Hall’s “Let’s Make a Deal” script during plea negotiations.

But Weissmann’s overture was wrapped with complexity and intrigue far beyond the normal federal case, my sources indicate.

At the time, pressure was building inside the DOJ and the FBI to find smoking-gun evidence against Trump in the Russia case because the Steele dossier — upon which the early surveillance warrants were based — was turning out to be an uncorroborated mess. (“There’s no big there there,” lead FBI agent Pete Strzok texted a few days before Weissmann’s overture.)

Likewise, key evidence that the DOJ used to indict Firtash on corruption charges in 2014 was falling apart. Two central witnesses were in the process of recanting testimony, and a document the FBI portrayed as bribery evidence inside Firtash’s company was exposed as a hypothetical slide from an American consultant’s PowerPoint presentation, according to court records I reviewed.

In other words, the DOJ faced potential embarrassment in two high-profile cases when Weissmann made an unsolicited approach on June 4, 2017, that surprised even Firtash’s U.S. legal team.

To some, the offer smacked of being desperately premature. Mueller was appointed just two weeks earlier, did not even have a full staff selected, and was still getting up to speed on the details of the investigation. So why rush to make a deal when the prosecution team still was being selected, some wondered.

Second, Weissmann’s approach was audaciously aggressive, even for a prosecutor with his reputation.

According to a defense memo recounting Weissmann’s contacts, the prosecutor claimed the Mueller team could “resolve the Firtash case” in Chicago and neither the DOJ nor the Chicago U.S. Attorney’s Office “could interfere with or prevent a solution,” including withdrawing all charges. “The complete dropping of the proceedings … was doubtless on the table,” according to the defense memo.

Firtash’s team suspected Weissmann’s claim was exaggerated. While Mueller had full authority to investigate the Russia case, he wasn’t an independent counsel separate of the DOJ but, rather, a special counsel subject to the attorney general’s oversight.

The third red flag came in how much Weissmann communicated to Firstash’s lawyers about his hopes for the Ukrainian oligarch’s testimony.

Prosecutors in plea deals typically ask a defendant for a written proffer of what they can provide in testimony and identify the general topics that might interest them. But Weissmann appeared to go much further in a July 7, 2017, meeting with Firtash’s American lawyers and FBI agents, sharing certain private theories of the nascent special counsel’s investigation into Trump, his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort and Russia, according to defense memos.

For example, Firtash’s legal team wrote that Weissmann told them he believed a company called Bayrock, tied to former FBI informant Felix Sater, had “made substantial investments with Donald Trump’s companies” and that prosecutors were looking for dirt on Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner.

Weissmann told the Firtash team “he believes that Manafort and his people substantially coordinated their activities with Russians in order to win their work in Ukraine,” according to the defense memos. And the Mueller deputy said he “believed” a Ukrainian group tied to Manafort “was merely a front for illegal criminal activities in Ukraine,” and suggested a “Russian secret service authority” may have been involved in influencing the 2016 U.S. election, the defense memos show.

Weissmann’s private observations and sharing of prosecutor’s theories went beyond what prosecutors normally do in proffer negotiations and risked planting ideas that could lead the witness to craft his testimony, according to legal experts I consulted.

Remarkably, Firtash turned down Weissmann’s plea overtures even though the oligarch has been trapped in Austria for five years, fighting extradition on U.S. charges in Chicago alleging that he engaged in bribery and corruption in India related to a U.S. aerospace deal. He denies the charges.

The oligarch’s defense team told me that Firtash rejected the deal because he didn’t have credible information or evidence on the topics Weissmann outlined.

But now, as Firtash escalates his fight to avoid extradition, the Weissmann overture is being offered to an Austrian court as potential defense evidence that the DOJ’s prosecution is flawed by bogus evidence and political motivations.

In a sealed court filing in Austria earlier this month, Firtash’s legal team compared the DOJ’s 13-year investigation of Firtash to the medieval inquisitions. It cited Weissmann’s overture as evidence of political motivation, saying the prosecutor dangled the “possible cessation of separate criminal proceedings against the applicant if he were prepared to exchange sufficiently incriminating statements for wide-ranging comprehensively political subject areas which included the U.S. President himself as well as the Russian President Vladimir Putin.”

After years of litigation, the U.S. Justice Department won a ruling in Austria to secure Firtash’s extradition to Chicago. But then his legal team secretly filed new evidence that included the Weissmann overture, and Austrian officials suddenly reversed course last week and ordered a new, lengthy delay in extradition.

That new court filing asserts that two key witnesses, cited by the DOJ in its extradition request as affirming the bribery allegations against Firtash, since have recanted, claiming the FBI grossly misquoted them and pressured them to sign their statements. One witness claims his 2012 statement to the FBI was “prewritten by the U.S. authorities” and contains “relevant inaccuracies in substance,” including that he never used the terms “bribery or bribe payments” as DOJ claimed, according to the Austrian court filing.

That witness also claimed he only signed the 2012 statement because the FBI “exercised undue pressure on him,” including threats to seize his passport and keep him from returning home to India, the memo alleges. That witness recanted his statements the same summer as Weissmann’s overture to Firtash’s team.

Firtash’s lawyers also offered the Austrian court evidence of alleged prosecutorial wrongdoing.

A key document submitted to Austrian authorities to support Firtash’s extradition was portrayed by DOJ as having come from Firtash’s corporate files and purported to show he sanctioned a bribery scheme in India. In fact, the document was created by the McKinsey consulting firm as part of a hypothetical ethics presentation for the Boeing Co. and had no connection to Firtash’s firm.

Moreover, McKinsey claims in an official statement that it had no knowledge of a bribery scheme by Firtash, and the PowerPoint’s use of the phrase “bribery payments” never came from Firtash or his company and were, instead, hypothetical “assumptions by McKinsey about standard business practices in India,” according to the new Austrian court filing.

Firtash’s U.S. legal team told me it alerted Weissmann to DOJ’s false portrayal of the McKinsey document in 2017, but he downplayed the concerns and refused to alert the Austrian court. The document was never withdrawn as evidence, even after the New York Times published a story last December questioning its validity.

“Submitting a false and misleading document to a foreign sovereign and its courts for an extradition decision is not only unethical but also flouts the comity of trust necessary for that process where judicial systems rely only on documents to make that decision,” Firtash’s American legal team wrote in a statement to me. “DOJ’s refusal to rescind the document after being specifically told it is false and misleading is an egregious violation of U.S. and international law.”

Weissmann long has been a favorite target of conservatives, in part because his earlier work as a prosecutor in the Enron case was overturned unanimously by the U.S. Supreme Court because of overly aggressive prosecutorial tactics. Former DOJ official Sidney Powell strongly condemned Weissmann’s past work as a prosecutor in “Licensed to Lie,” a book critical of DOJ’s pressure tactics.

It is now clear that Weissmann’s overture to a Ukrainian oligarch in the summer of 2017 is about to take on new significance in Washington, where Mueller is about to testify, and in Austria, where Firtash’s extradition fight has taken a new twist.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/454185-how-mueller-deputy-andrew-weissmanns-offer-to-an-oligarch-could-boomerang

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #1099 on: July 23, 2019, 08:07:41 PM »
lol

Nadler: Dems Holding Mock Hearings Today, to Prepare for Questioning Mueller Tomorrow
By Susan Jones | July 23, 2019

(CNSNews.com) - Members of the House Judiciary Committee are holding mock hearings today, Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said, in preparation for tomorrow's testimony from former Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

But in his interview with CNN's "New Day," Nadler would not say who, if anyone, is playing the role of Mueller as part of today's dress rehearsals.

Democrats have a lot riding on Wednesday's back-to-back congressional hearings, at which they hope to "break the lies" put out by President Donald Trump and Attorney General William Barr.

But no matter what emerges from Mueller's five hours of testimony, there is more to come, Nadler said.

As I said, our goal is to break the lies of the president and the attorney general in saying that the report found no collusion, found that there was no collusion, that there was no obstruction and exonerated the president," Nadler told CNN. "It did not exonerate the president. The report is chock-full of very damning information against the president.

Again, as I said, it found ten instances of the president obstructing justice. It found instances of the president instructing people to lie to investigators and to lie to the American people. And the American people need to hear this from Mueller.

And then after that, we need to get some of the witnesses cited by Mueller before the committee. Now, the administration has done what no administration has ever done before. They've stonewalled all subpoenas, they've said no one will testify. We will break that and we will hear from people like Don McGahn, etc. and they will testify. And people will know what the report found, will know the facts and then can make judgments.

Nadler noted that most people have not read the 448-page report, and he and other Democrats are trying to give them the movie version of what's in it.

But regardless of whether tomorrow's hearings sway public opinion, there is more persuasion still to come.

Host Alisyn Camerota told Nadler, "It's not going to be over tomorrow for all of you."

"Oh, no, it is certainly not going to be over," Nadler agreed.

"We're going to court in the next few days, as I said before, to try to force people like Don McGahn and Hope Hicks and various other people who are fact witnesses who who testified to the Mueller committee, to come before the committee and testify in open hearings as to what they saw, so that the conclusions of the Mueller investigation can be laid open, not only the conclusions but that people can see the testimony of these people and form judgments."

Nadler said Committee Democrats assume that Mueller will do what he said -- "he'll stay more or less within the bounds of the report."

But Nadler said he and other Democrats "will be referring to specific pages and specific sections in the report and asking him to comment on it."

Nadler gave an example: "Well, paragraph two on page whatever says the following, is that correct? Did you find that? Does this describe obstruction of justice?"

Nadler said there are three tests when considering impeachment:

"One, do you conclude there's real proof the president has committed impeachable offenses," he said.

"Number two, are these impeachable offenses serious offenses. And number three, is there enough evidence public, so that impeaching the president would not tear the country apart? And I think it's very important that the people understand the evidence that there is so that they and therefore the committee and the Congress can make that judgement."

Mueller's investigation ended without indicting the president. "I think it's very clear he (Mueller) left it to Congress, and we have to exercise our powers," Nadler said.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/nadler-dems-holding-mock-hearings-today-prepare-questioning-mueller