Author Topic: Bodybuilding Historical Interesting websites  (Read 29361 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: an interesting website.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »
post others that you think are of interest to the topic.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 11:21:47 AM »
F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 01:20:57 PM »

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 06:42:44 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 06:43:30 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 01:33:55 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: interesting websites.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
2018 marks the 70th anniversary of the classic Loprinzi’s Gym in Portland, OR, USA! Inspired by a recent visit to Loprinzi’s, today we feature a profile of the gym’s late founder and strength and physique athlete Sam Loprinzi (1913-1996), which originally appeared in the February 1963 issue of “Iron Man” magazine and was written by the editor.

We are also supplying a copy of the original article to the current staff of Loprinzi’s Gym, in honor of the gym’s 70th anniversary! Loprinzi’s is a rare and special kind of old-school weight training facility which has been in business since 1948. We will feature some of our recent photos of Loprinzi’s next week, right here at FOUNDATIONS OF IRON.

Loprinzi1946  Loprinzi1963

Photos of Sam Loprinzi which accompanied the article below; on the left at age 25 with his “Most Muscular” trophy from the Mr. America 1946 contest, and on the right displaying his physique at age 50. Click to enlarge (opens in new window/tab).

Sam Loprinzi and his brothers could be described as the American Pacific Northwest region’s claim to fame in the iron game of the mid-twentieth century.

The Loprinzis were a large Italian-American family, and many of their descendants still live in the area today. From the 1930s to the 1950s and beyond, brothers Sam, Joe, Gus and Phillip were very active in the iron game. The Loprinzi family’s physical culture legacy lives on, as the gym that Sam Loprinzi founded in 1948 with the help of his brothers is still an active and vibrant neighborhood workout center with an unbeatable old-school atmosphere.

The article below highlights how it is possible to remain in vigorous good shape even as we get older, including a glimpse into Sam Loprinzi’s nutrition and exercise program. His workouts included one day a week of heavy lifting at lower volume in a classic “5×5” schema, and two days of higher volume at lower poundages, as well as high-volume abdominal work every single day along with aerobic and flexibility work. Many of today’s fitness experts might deride so much abdominal exercise as “overtraining,” but the results of Sam’s exercise regimen speak for themselves in the accompanying photographs.

Further reading/reference on the Loprinzi family (opens in new window/tab): http://www.italoamericano.org/story/2016-3-9/loprinzi

Sam Loprinzi, 1913-1996 (opens in new window/tab): https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/928866/sam-d.-loprinzi

Further information on Loprinzi’s Gym, including hours and rates (opens in new window/tab): http://www.loprinzisgym.com/

Magazine excerpt:

As Good At Fifty As At Twenty-Five

The Story Of Sam Loprinzi

I first met Sam Loprinzi at the Mr America contest in Detroit in 1946 where this man with such an outstanding physique won first place in the “Most Muscular Man” contest and was second to Alan Stephan in the Mr. America contest. I was amazed at his magnificent physique, for he had tremendous size for his height and weight of 160 lbs., and he had unusual definition and shape. Sam probably would have won the Mr. America title had he continued entering. He preferred to turn professional and open his own gym, which he operates in Portland, Oregon.

Sam was born in Portland on January 22, 1913. He had a large family of brothers and sisters, all of whom were barbell trained and some of them were outstanding in physique and strength. His father owned a fruit and vegetable truck which probably contributed to Sam’s good health and robust physique. He became interested in barbell work and physical training when about 13. His father added a little room off their garage which soon became the training center for the neighborhood, including his brothers, cousins, and friends. Not having enough money for regular iron weights, they made their first weights out of cement filled cans fastened on the ends of pipes, brooms stcks [sic], etc.

At times the temperature would be 30 or 40 degrees and then they would wear sweaters to keep them warm, since there was no heat in their little gym. At 13, when Sam started his training, he was of average strength and weight, with measurements of 12 1/2 arms, 39 chest, 28 waist, 20 thigh and 13 1/2 calves. His training program consisted of curls, presses, chins, high pulls, supine presses, squats and dead lifts, and he never figures he had any training problems that time and hard work wouldn’t overcome. Sam exercised because he enjoyed it and he put his whole heart into his workouts.

He used to get up at 3 o’clock and go to the market to help his father buy produce, then run like mad back home and train from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m., then run back to the market to help on the delivery route. You can see that this was a rugged life but one that Sam thrived on and it gave him a terrific constitution. He developed great endurance as well as strength and a fine physique.

While in high school he did quite a lot of amateur wrestling and also boxed, swam and ran. He still swims twice a week and runs three times a week, summer and winter.

During the war, Sam and his brother, Joe, taught weight training at Treasure Island. Sam has done a lot of hand balancing and, for a time, traveled as a professional balancer but did not like to travel, so quit.

When Sam first started his training he followed the only known system at that time, which was one set of 8 to 10 reps in each exercise. Later he followed the set system, doing three and four sets of each exercise for 8 to 10 repetitions.

Sam says, “My favorite exercises are the good old stand bys: presses overhead, squats, power cleans, bench press, two arm curls, and dead lifts. Of course, I do my abdominal work every day. I exercise every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning. On those mornings I do 100 situps and 200 leg raises along with my regular exercises. Then on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday mornings I still do 100 situps and 200 leg raises. Sometimes I’m not in the mood, but I do them anyway. I also do hand-stand press-ups during my three training periods a week, four and five sets of 8 to 10 reps. On Mondays and Wednesdays I do 3 and 4 sets of each exercise with 8 to 10 reps. Then on Fridays (my heaviest day) I do 5 sets of 5 reps each exercise. After each training period I do a group of Yoga exercises and then I run a mile.

“As for my diet, I eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and lean meat. I take vitamins C and E every day. Before each training session I mix up a high protein drink made with orange juice, banana, honey, brewers yeast and 90% protein powder. I then take a large spoon of wheat germ oil.”

Today, at the age of 50, Sam has the same measurements that he had when he won the Most Muscular Man in America title–chest 47, arms 17, waist 31, thighs 23, calves 15 and neck 17. His weight remains the same at 160 lbs. at a height of about 5’7″. His weight has varied but little over the years, and his heaviest bodyweight, to our knowledge, has not been over 170. His best lifts are: bench press 310, military press 220, squat 425, dead lift 550, clean and jerk 270, and snatch 200.

LoprinzisGymInterior

A photo of Sam loprinzi in his gym, which accompanied the article. Click to enlarge (opens in new window/tab)

Today Sam Loprinzi owns and operates one of the finest gyms in the country. Four years ago he built his own building and has since enlarged it and recently built an apartment for living quarters above it that he might be closer to his work, but still maintain his privacy. You will see photos of this beautiful place in this issue. The studio is located at 4110 S.E. Caruthers St., Portland, Oregon.

HelenLoprinzi

A photo of Helen Loprinzi, Sam’s wife, which accompanied the article. Click to enlarge (opens in new window/tab)

Sam met Helen Smith in 1945 in the California Health Studio. She had been training with weights at the Baptiste gym for a year and so she and Sam had much in common and soon married, and now have two girls, one 12 and the other 8. It is a very happy and successful family and Sam has proven, as you can see from the photos with this article, that a man can maintain outstanding physical condition until 50 and after. He feels he is in just as good a shape as ever, and hopes to continue to keep in top shape for many years to come. Sam Loprinzi is one of the most respected men in the business today and we are proud to bring his story to our readers.

LoprinziWorkout1 LoprinziWorkout2

Photos of Sam Loprinzi demonstrating his workout program, which accompanied the article. Click to enlarge (opens in new window/tab).

Share this:
TwitterFacebook

Related
A tour of Loprinzi's Gym – 70th anniversary, 2018: A photo essay
In "Classic gym profiles"
Don Howorth, “Mr. California.” Will he be Mr. America? - Bob Hise (1963)
In "Nutrition"
Home fitness equipment ads (1962)
In "Building strength"
Physique Training1960s, Fitness, Loprinzi's Gym, Mr. America, Oregon history, Physical culture, Physique, Weight training
PREVIOUS ARTICLE
Leroy Colbert and friends training and posing outdoors (1958)
NEXT ARTICLE
A tour of Loprinzi’s Gym – 70th anniversary, 2018: A photo essay
7 THOUGHTS ON “THE STORY OF SAM LOPRINZI – “IRON MAN” ED. (1963)”

CONOR HEFFERNAN
March 16, 2018 / 9:00 am
Very jealous you got to visit the current gym – looking forward to seeing the pics next week!

Liked by 1 person

JOSH AT FOUNDATIONSOFIRON
March 16, 2018 / 9:35 am
It’s such a great gym! It’s an almost two-and-a-half-hour drive from where I live, but I try to go a few times a year.

Liked by 1 person

CONOR HEFFERNAN
March 16, 2018 / 11:20 am
Same as myself – I make a few pilgrimages to the few long lasting gyms here. It’s always worth a visit.

Liked by 1 person

March 19, 2018 / 1:59 pm
And the photo essay of Loprinzi’s Gym in 2018 is now live!
Link: https://foundationsofiron.wordpress.com/2018/03/19/a-tour-of-loprinzis-gym-70th-anniversary-2018-a-photo-essay/

Pingback: A tour of Loprinzi’s Gym – 70th anniversary, 2018: A photo essay – FOUNDATIONS OF IRON

JOE HAYES
January 4, 2020 / 9:20 pm
I worked out with Sam when I was in High School in the seventies. I had a knee injury and after surgery I worked out with him and doing what he said I came back to football stronger, heavier and running a constant 4.3 forty. He taught me how to effectively and safely use weights to accomplish what I needed to come back from that injury. He was an amazing man !!!

Liked by 1 person

April 22, 2020 / 2:13 pm
Great experience, Mr. Hayes. Thank you for sharing that!

Leave a Reply
Enter your comment here...
FOLLOW FOI BLOG VIA EMAIL
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email (generally about two posts per week).

Join 58 other followers

Enter your email address

FOLLOW FOI

RECENT BLOG POSTS
 More home fitness equipment (1940)
 Home fitness equipment ads (1962)
 The Protein Dilemma (Part 3 of 3) – Vince Gironda to Gene Mozēe (1995)
 The Protein Dilemma (Part 2 of 3) – Vince Gironda to Gene Mozēe (1995)
 The Protein Dilemma (Part 1 of 3) – Vince Gironda to Gene Mozēe (1995)
BLOG POSTS BY MONTH
April 2020 (2)
August 2019 (3)
June 2019 (1)
December 2018 (1)
September 2018 (1)
July 2018 (6)
June 2018 (6)
May 2018 (5)
April 2018 (8)
March 2018 (10)
February 2018 (8)
ABOUT THE EDITOR

The editor of this site enjoys researching classic physical culture and putting this research into practice in the gym and the kitchen, as well as exploring the wonders of the wild outdoors.

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Bodybuilding Historical Interesting websites
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 10:20:42 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 06:27:46 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 08:41:19 AM »
https://www.appliedmetabolics.com/?fbclid=IwAR3IInOqmx3tNY35d-zvikNyXcwOjMqv00KtGwbB8Dyjdr80d3fH7RHhPUc

For those into supplementation and nutrition, drugs etc, Jerrys newsletter is gold. So much info in each issue, he must write 24x7.
I subscribed for a while last year.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »
JOE NAZARIO: MR. EASTERN AMERICA
Joe Nazario bodybuilding
16. February 2020 by Mr.Berg
The following article was published by Howard Alpert in 1977 – Mr. Berg

“There is a word that has become very popular in recent years and it is used in describing a select group of unique individuals.

The word is charisma, and it refers to an almost magical quality that certain people are supposed to possess. When a person is referred to as having charisma, he is being complimented as having an extraordinary power, a mystical and mysterious type of aura that both surrounds and emanates from him and, in some way, draws the attention of others. All of us can name movie personalities and sports figures, who are said to have this special quality. We can also designate those superstars of the world of bodybuilding who we believe have this unique characteristic.

There is a bodybuilder in the New York area who, I believe, possesses this “superstar quality” and whose competitive career is progressing at such a rapid pace that I am sure that readers will be interested in finding out about him and his training methods. He is Joe Nazario, Mr. Eastern America of 1976.

When I visit Julie Levine’s Futureman gym in Amityville, I can usually tell if Joe is training even before I actually see him on the gym floor. There is a different atmosphere when he is “doing his thing” The gym is quieter than usual, with the other trainees either working harder than they normally do or just standing off to the side, somewhat in awe, as they watch one of the hardest training bodybuilders to be found anywhere. To see Joe train can be likened to watching a tiger stalking his prey. He does not stop moving once his workout starts. Then it is a continuous flow of motion with exactly forty-five seconds rest between sets.

At the instant that the clock indicates the allotted rest period is over, Joe attacks. When a set is completed, Joe spends the intervening time either in tensing the part he is working or in setting up the equipment for his next exercise. There is no wasted motion during the entire session. Joe is completely oblivious to anything else that may be going on around him.

He is totally absorbed, his concentration so deep that it affects those around him by spurring them on or shocking them into silence.

joe nazario bodybuilding

“When I am training, the only thing that exists for me at any given moment is the next set I have to do or the repetition I am doing at that second. It is just me and the weight, a struggle to see who will be the winner and who will be the loser. I don’t like to lose.

“I try to get as deep into feeling the muscle I am working as I possibly can. When I work the biceps, I am the biceps. When I work my deltoids, I am the deltoids.

Everything in me – all of my senses- are concentrated on whatever part I am training. Each repetition, each set, is something that only exists for a moment or two and then is gone forever. If I haven’t drained everything from it, it has been a waste. I don’t have the time to go through wasted motions.

“Training is serious business. There is only one way I know how to train and that is totally all-out. I want to be as great as I can be, in as short a time as possible. So I train as hard as I can, every set, every workout. I want to know that next week I will be better than I was the week before. I want my personal record book to show that my poundage’s have increased. I want the mirror to show me that I have improved, that my muscle thickness and density have increased, that my muscle shape is better, that my definition is etched in more deeply.”

Joe almost didn’t become a bodybuilder. He was very athletic and excelled in several sports. It was while doing his four-year stint in the Air Force that he casually began weight training to increase his strength so that he would be even better in the various sports he played. Fate, in the form of a football injury, took Joe off the athletic field and brought him into weight room on a regular basis.

When Joe completed his service obligation, he continued his weight training activities on a three-times-a week basis, his objective still being to increase his strength. Fate intervened once again. The gym Joe was training at was sponsoring a local contest. On a dare from some of the members, Joe entered. “I didn’t have the slightest ideas of how to pose. One of the contestants showed me three or four poses and that was what I did. I couldn’t believe it when I was awarded the second-place trophy.”

That second-place win convinced Joe that he should change his workouts to that they would give him increased shape and size. He also sought out additional training information.

To do this, he changed his training quarters to Tom Minichiello’s Mid-City Health Club. “Tom was very helpful. He helped me plan a split training routine. He introduced me to some important principles of nutrition. He was a constant source of encouragement tome all the time I trained at Mid-City.”

During the 1974-1975 period that Joe training at Mid-City, his progress was so great that he entered the IFBB Mr. America Contest in California.

“Although I felt I could have placed higher than fifth in my class, everyone in California told me that I had done very well against very strong competition, especially since I had only been training for bodybuilding for a little over a year. my trip to California was also valuable in another way. I learned that the California bodybuilders were training just about the way I had been.

They weren’t doing anything that I hadn’t done. In fact, many of the guys there said that I trained as hard as anyone they had ever seen. I returned to New York determined to train even harder.”

Joe moved a few months after he returned from California and began training at Futureman. “The Futureman gym is really well equipped but that is only half the story. The most important part of training out here is that I met and have become close friends with a bodybuilder whom I have the greatest respect for.

He manages the gym for Julie Levine and his name is Tony Pandolfo. To say that he is not only one of the best bodybuilders competing today but one of the finest trainers to be found would really be an understatement.

“Tony helped me greatly in analyzing my training. He showed me how to really tear my training routine apart and to check each exercise for its effectiveness. We sit down every week and review what I have done and discuss any revisions that either of us thinks should be made. Tony really makes me go deep inside myself and think out loud. He will only make suggestions and stresses that I must make the final decisions. I keep telling him that I am still relatively new to bodybuilding but he just laughs and says that he has been training for fifteen years and is still learning.”

Joe entered the Mr. USA contest at the end of 1975 and placed second in his class. “I thought I had beaten Denny Gable, but I guess the judges saw it differently. I was gratified that I moved up to second place though, because I beat out some contestants who had placed above me in California.”

The Mr. Eastern America contest was scheduled to be held in March 1976 and Joe really went all out.
“I continued with my six-day a week training but I also did some extra training in the evening. I went on the strictest diet I had ever been on.” Joe also went home with the title of Mr. Eastern America of 1976. In doing that, he defeated over a dozen of the major physique contestant on the East Coast.

Joe is now determined to become one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time. “Of course, I am going to continue working for my college degree but all of the rest of my energy will go toward fulfilling my goal to be on the same level as any of the superstars that are around today.

I have really only been bodybuilding for about two years. Most of the guys who are on top have at least ten years of bodybuilding training behind them. I would like to be able to do it in half the time or less.”

“Joe’s 5’10” physique stretches the tape to 50″ around his chest, 10″ around the arms, 26 1/2″ at the thighs, and his 18″ calves complete one of the most chiseled and symmetrical developments in competition today. His training routine is equally as impressive.

Joe follows a basic pattern in his exercises of doing eight sets of eight repetitions. On the heavier exercises, he works up in weight each set. His workouts are one uninterrupted flow of movement with the exercises strictly performed with intense concentration.

Joe follows a split routine and trains six days a week.

Joe Nazario bodybuilding

MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY
Chest:
Benchpress – 275lb to 365lb
Incline Bench Press – 185 – 245lb
Pullovers – 90lb
Dumbbell Bench Press – 90lb
Flyes – 45lb

Biceps:
Barbell Curl – 115 – 165lb

Back:
Chins (behind Neck, using bodyweight for eight sets of eight)
Seated Cable Pulley – 160lb
Barbell Rowing – 150  185lb
Pulldowns – 160lb (constant weight)
Long Pulley Rowing – 150lb (constant weight)

Joe works his abdominals and calves daily. He does four sets of fifty repetitions in the incline situps and eight sets of fifteen repetitions with two hundred fifty pounds in the calf raise.

Joe doesn’t vary his training much throughout the year. He will occasionally change an exercise but otherwise stays with the program detailed above. Of course, his poundages are increased whenever possible.

Joe follows a good diet during the year, taking in liberal amount of protein and natural carbohydrates. Six weeks before a contest, Joe will lower his carbohydrate intake to thirty grams daily. He will also take substantial amount of Vitamins C, E. and B-Complex.

At a height of 5’10” and a weight of 205lb, Joe displays an incredibly defined, symmetrically balanced physique with the following measurements: Chest 50″; waist, 31″; arms,. 10″; and calves, 18″. He is one of the most formidable threats in physique competition today and he will pursue his goal of winning every major physique title with the same determination he has shown since he began serious bodybuilding training.”

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »
F