Author Topic: Rest times between sets  (Read 89098 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Rest times between sets
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »
Wednesday, 27 May 2009 
Written by Robbie Durand 

Hormones such as human growth hormone (GH) and testosterone have been shown to play a role in muscle hypertrophy and strength gains. One of the core training principles for muscle hypertrophy in bodybuilding is short rest— less than 1 minute between sets. In 1988, anabolic hormone guru William Kraemer, PhD, performed a study that literally changed the world of bodybuilding overnight.   In this landmark study, Kraemer reported that heavy resistance training protocols with shortened rest periods (less than 1 minute) between sets elicited greater GH and testosterone response than resistance training protocols with longer rest periods (more than 3 minutes).

A previous study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research examined the effects of three different loading routines on testosterone and cortisol levels.2 Subjects were randomly assigned to a power workout (8 sets of 6 reps, 45 percent of 1-repetition maximum, 3 minutes rest), a hypertrophy workout (10 sets of 10 reps, 75 percent of 1-repetition maximum, 2 minutes rest) and a maximal strength workout (6 sets of 4 reps, 88 percent of 1-repetition maximum, 4 minutes rest). The hypertrophy scheme (10 sets of 10 reps) increased testosterone and cortisol, whereas the power and maximal strength schemes produced little to no endocrine change.

In general, the post-exercise testosterone and cortisol response to the hypertrophy scheme was greater than the other two schemes, which themselves displayed largely similar profiles.  There is no doubt that short rest periods are going to lead to enhanced fat oxidation and a greater metabolic effect, but should you train with short rest periods year-round? 

Longer Rest Periods Superior For Strength
A previous study in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that short rest periods led to a decrease in the number of repetitions performed in the workout. In the study, resistance-trained men performed an upper-body workout consisting of two experimental training sessions. Both sessions consisted of 3 sets of 8 repetitions with an 8-repetition maximum resistance on six upper body exercises: wide-grip lat pulldowns, close-grip pulldowns, seated machine rows, barbell rows lying on a bench, seated dumbbell arm curls and seated machine arm curls.  The two experimental sessions differed only in the length of the rest period between sets and exercises: one session was performed with a 1-minute rest and the other with a 3-minute rest period. It should be of no surprise that the group that rested 3 minutes between sets was able to perform a greater number of repetitions compared to the 1-minute rest session.1 Think about a few extra repetitions performed during each workout over a six-month period and how much added strength and size that would add up to. New research has shown that the body has an incredible ability to adapt to exercise.

Short Rest Periods Increase Anabolic Hormones During The First Week, But Effects Decline With Training
 In a recent study in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, researchers from the University of Nebraska recruited subjects and randomly assigned them to a 10-week resistance training program with either 1 or 2.5 minutes of rest between sets, training four times per week. Subjects were advised to consume 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body mass each day to ensure adequate nutritional resources for training-stimulated adaptation. Researchers found that in the first week, the ‘1-minute between rest’ group exhibited a greater overall hormone response to weight training than the ‘2.5-minutes’ group.
In week one, post-exercise testosterone and cortisol levels were significantly greater in the 1-minute group than in the 2.5-minutes group. However, these differences diminished by weeks five and 10, in which post-exercise hormone levels in the two groups were similar. What this study shows is that the body adapts to its training routine; the physiological stress of resistance exercise is diminished with time. The bottom line is that you have to constantly shock your body with new training routines!

Longer Rest Period Increased Muscle Hypertrophy More Than Shorter Rest Period
 Another interesting finding was that the longer rest period group (2.5 minutes) tended to have greater increases in muscle arm mass than the short rest period group (1 minute). Additionally, the longer rest period group tended to have larger increases in thigh mass.

The author concludes that periodic changes in training protocols are needed for increased anabolic hormones and that there is an adaptation response that occurs to training. The groups became more alike as the weeks went along, as both groups adapted to their training regimen.

The key point of the study is that the hormonal responses (GH and testosterone) were greater during the first week and had diminished by the 10th week of training. The study emphasized that changing your workout reduces the training adaptation that takes place and keeps you growing.

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Rest times between sets
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:01:09 PM »
interesting....

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »
very interesting i usually around 2-4 minutes and thats whats comfortable to me, usually just go off feel when i feel im ready, its cool to see the study though...

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 07:07:30 PM »
I don't usually time it, but I would guess 3-4 minutes between big stuff like squats and 2 minutes for flyes, curls etc...

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »
i always go by feel..

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:02:22 PM »
Honestly, except for the rare sets that are extremely heavy and draining, I think anything over 2 minutes is taking it too easy-the intensity on the muscles is lower, the body starts to cool down, the pump diminishes and you lose some of the momentum that should be part of training.

Anyone over 2 minutes between sets i suggest you try 1.5 minutes on most sets for a good while, and then try just one minute between sets.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »
Honestly, except for the rare sets that are extremely heavy and draining, I think anything over 2 minutes is taking it too easy-the intensity on the muscles is lower, the body starts to cool down, the pump diminishes and you lose some of the momentum that should be part of training.

Anyone over 2 minutes between sets i suggest you try 1.5 minutes on most sets for a good while, and then try just one minute between sets.
for some reason today i kept track a little more and ya i agree 2.5 minutes for rear delts or lateral raises seems really long but for shoulder presses it felt pretty good maybe even a tad rushed...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 04:55:39 AM »
The last two years my rest times were at 1 min for dips, chins, and most exercises.
Usually 45 secs for db lateral raises.
Longer for front squats, SLDL

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 05:42:27 AM »
I've read a very similar article as part of my studies.

I have cut my rest periods down quite a bit. 2 mins max. Can be hard on deads/squats.....but your body seems to adapt to it over time.
No doubt about it...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »
I've read a very similar article as part of my studies.

I have cut my rest periods down quite a bit. 2 mins max. your body seems to adapt to it over time.

Ya it's similar in concept to HIIT cardio, which i've found i've gotten used to.

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
Recently changed this in my workouts. Had the standard 2 minutes for normal work, and 3-5 on things like squats, heavy bench sets, etc. However I switched this over recently from 60-90 seconds (depending on set number...sets one and two usually 60 and three and four 90) and to be honest even though the weights are down some, the feeling of the workout is so much better. I guess though after doing the opposite for so long change is good, but just wondering if the high intensity approach (in terms of rest periods) is the way to go.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 10:04:41 PM »
The last two years my rest times were at 1 min for dips, chins, and most exercises.
Usually 45 secs for db lateral raises.
Longer for front squats, SLDL
shit man id never get a break, after you switch or change the weight youd have to do another set right away.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
shit man id never get a break, after you switch or change the weight youd have to do another set right away.

Most of my training was 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, etc. style, so thankfully I didn't have to change weights often.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 11:41:48 AM »
very interesting i usually around 2-4 minutes and thats whats comfortable to me, usually just go off feel when i feel im ready, its cool to see the study though...
X2......I believe in being fully rested before commencing the next set.

So does Lee Labrada!!! No need to rush into the next set.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 11:44:04 AM »
you don't want to end the set due to your lungs.......you want to have your muscles get worked......so get some rest and let your breathing return to normal. IMHO

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 06:26:31 AM »
I think anything over 2 minutes is taking it too easy-the intensity on the muscles is lower, the body starts to cool down,

I think this is the most important point.  if you're going to rest for more than 2 minutes you need to ensure you do not cool down by either wearing heavy clothes, walking around or actively recovering on a stationary bike...

being cold is a sure fire way to increase the risk of injury and to decrease overall muscle hypertrophy... other than that i see nothing wrong with resting up to 5-6 minutes between maximal sets or when moving from one muscle group to another in the same workout (going from quads to hams on leg day)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 06:40:01 AM »
I think this is the most important point.  if you're going to rest for more than 2 minutes you need to ensure you do not cool down by either wearing heavy clothes, walking around or actively recovering on a stationary bike...

being cold is a sure fire way to increase the risk of injury and to decrease overall muscle hypertrophy... other than that i see nothing wrong with resting up to 5-6 minutes between maximal sets or when moving from one muscle group to another in the same workout (going from quads to hams on leg day)

Tu es revenu! :o :o :o
I hate the State.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 06:44:29 AM »
Tu es revenu! :o :o :o

i never really left...  :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 08:12:22 AM »
i never really left...  :)

Ah...c'est claire...maintenant...
I hate the State.

Mesomorph79

• Getbig I
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 11:00:29 AM »
I've always only rested a max of 1 to 1 1/2 mins between sets.  Any more than that and I feel like I lost my pump and my workout suffers...
"Fitness for Life"

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 08:19:30 PM »
Old news

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Hahaha seems like this "guru" has had way too much rest in his miserable existence, why not try actually working out?

from incomplete data

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 10:02:44 PM »
I rest 2 -3 minutes  between work sets, and do about 3 work sets per exercise. Be fully rested and give the next set a full effort.

big.poppa.pump

• Getbig I
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »
Check out superhumanradio.com..... ........carl lanore and robbie durrand talk about this subject on Carl's SHR podcast

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
so whats the best??
Valhalla awaits.