Author Topic: Deadlift and squat problems  (Read 2318 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Deadlift and squat problems
« on: January 21, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »
I took off about four months of all power lifting and my deads and squats have gone downhill fast.  I went from doing deadlifts with a max of 465 and a max squat of 315 (pussy I know but it's all I got) to significantly less in each (325 max in deads and 275 in squats).  My lower back feels so weak doing them (esp today) and my legs are wobbling a bit feeling like they aren't helping much in the lift.  Should I just lighten to weight and progress up slower so I don't f**k up my back?

For squats, should I take a wider stance to bring the lift back up?  I feel like I can't come out of the hole and taking a wider stance is new to me so it feels unnatural at the bottom.  An ideas on fixing that and bring up the weight?

Should I be doing good mornings, stiff deads to help aid in the lift?

Should I follow some of the routines here to blow it back up?
Squishy face retard

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Deadlift and squat problems
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 10:05:23 PM »
I took off about four months of all power lifting and my deads and squats have gone downhill fast.  I went from doing deadlifts with a max of 465 and a max squat of 315 (pussy I know but it's all I got) to significantly less in each (325 max in deads and 275 in squats).  My lower back feels so weak doing them (esp today) and my legs are wobbling a bit feeling like they aren't helping much in the lift.  Should I just lighten to weight and progress up slower so I don't f**k up my back?

For squats, should I take a wider stance to bring the lift back up?  I feel like I can't come out of the hole and taking a wider stance is new to me so it feels unnatural at the bottom.  An ideas on fixing that and bring up the weight?

Deadlifts have been my nemisis.  I recently added in Glute ham raises and "hanging" deadlifts (off a platform where the plates don't actually touch the ground and in the bottom position I'm probably 3-4 inches lower than if I was deadlifting conventional).  Those have worked wonders for my deadlift. 

Jeff Miller

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:38:50 PM »

As far as squat stance, I personally use a slightly wider than shoulder width stance -- works well for me and feels very natural now that I have used it for about 5 years.

I'd lighten the weight and concentrate on form, SLOWLY building the weight back up.  Sounds like you have some core strength/stability issues -- make sure you don't neglect ab training.  I'd also do a few sets of hyperextensions (SLOW, no weight) as part of your ab workouts.  I prefer those over good mornings, but some folks are the opposite (I have a friend that routinely does over 315 for reps on good mornings and has a phenomenally strong lower back).

If you have problems "getting out of the hole", you probably have some hamstring strength issues.  Stiff legged deadlifts and ass-to-floor squats should help.  Remember, on stiff-legged deads concentrate on your form and that mind/muscle connection -- you should feel 90% of the stress in your hamstrings and glutes.

My $0.02.
ChuckNorrisFearsMe

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yea I am addressing the core problems with some of the things you all mentioned.  I do think I am going to drop the weight a bit and focus on form.  Thanks again.
Squishy face retard

SL-Dubbs

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 09:02:30 PM »
Wide stance on squat is a must.

Low box squats are a must as well, be sure that you are sitting back to the box and not squating down to it. Movement should mostly involve hips on the way back up.

Hamstrings are going to be very necessary for the squats and deads both. Glute Ham raises are important here. Also use a reverse hyper if you have access to one.

I agree with the stiff leg deads. I use them a lot when not training for a meet. i switch back to high and low rack pulls 12 weeks out.

I am a big fan of good mornings as well

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 05:34:37 PM »
Two words... Box Squats. You can do them to a bench as well, IMO a good way to learn/relearn the squat. SL Dubbs posted some good advice regarding accesory moves. These in addition to squatting alone with help your deadlift numbers. For deadlift form, I linked you to the t-nation article that has some good stuff on it. After reading that article, I practiced what it said with lighter weight (speed deadlift) and I was instantly able to add a considerable amount of weight to my deadlift.
follow the arrows