Author Topic: Is It important to get a pump?  (Read 17105 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Is It important to get a pump?
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2008, 12:06:47 AM »

The fact you tried different training methods with different areas of the body means that you really can't draw conclusions, it's a strange way to train pumping only certain areas. To pump only certain areas and not others makes no sense and doesn't allow any basis to compare results.

i'll make this fast.

1) i trained all areas the same. some got a pump, some didn't. the only way to get a pump in my traps was to do a giant drop set on DB shrugs. my triceps, on the other hand, get a decent pump doing a set of 12 on anything.

2) the areas that DID get a pump grew more slowly than areas that DIDN'T. this indicates to me that the pump was either counterproductive or completely irrelevant. however, as you said, it may have just been genetics. if this is the case, then changing my training protocol should not make a difference.

3) surprisingly, when i STOPPED training for pumps, my formerly lagging body parts grew. i was training wicked pumps into my triceps and legs, but they did not start growing until i aimed for strength training. the same is true of my traps (which grew more from heavy deadlifts than drop-sets on shrugs) and my chest.

4) in the end, not only did i grow the best in parts that i couldn't get much of a pump in, but when i stopped putting a pump into the areas that got GREAT pumps, they began to improve.

fair enough? did i miss anything?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2008, 05:32:49 AM »
and now im gonna post a link to a book made by muscletech to promote their supplements

Thanks, but don't bother.
I already have December's FLEX.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »
Thanks, but don't bother.
I already have December's FLEX.
lmao

acvtually they sent me that book in the mail about 3 years ago

i never read it untill about 3 or 4 months ago..  theres alot of bullshit about muscletech supplements in there.... but theres is also a ton of great information regarding biological reasons behind why the pump is so important for hypertrophy..and its all backed by science..    mine was sent to me for free maybe you could get one too..im not sure how i got it though lol

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2008, 02:18:03 PM »
Really I always felt there's very little on pump as far as science, studies go etc

Very convinient of muscletech to put some positive press out for pump along with the pump supplements
Z

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2008, 04:51:56 AM »
think back to when you made your biggest gains. i bet it was in the first year or two lifting, right? now think back when you had your biggest strength gains. i bet it was in your first year or two lifting, right?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »
think back to when you made your biggest gains. i bet it was in the first year or two lifting, right? now think back when you had your biggest strength gains. i bet it was in your first year or two lifting, right?

not for me.  :D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2008, 12:22:24 PM »
Really I always felt there's very little on pump as far as science, studies go etc

Very convinient of muscletech to put some positive press out for pump along with the pump supplements

no theres alot of science behind why the pump kickstarts hypertrophy into overdrive

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2008, 01:02:05 PM »
i'll make this fast.

1) i trained all areas the same. some got a pump, some didn't. the only way to get a pump in my traps was to do a giant drop set on DB shrugs. my triceps, on the other hand, get a decent pump doing a set of 12 on anything.

2) the areas that DID get a pump grew more slowly than areas that DIDN'T. this indicates to me that the pump was either counterproductive or completely irrelevant. however, as you said, it may have just been genetics. if this is the case, then changing my training protocol should not make a difference.

3) surprisingly, when i STOPPED training for pumps, my formerly lagging body parts grew. i was training wicked pumps into my triceps and legs, but they did not start growing until i aimed for strength training. the same is true of my traps (which grew more from heavy deadlifts than drop-sets on shrugs) and my chest.

4) in the end, not only did i grow the best in parts that i couldn't get much of a pump in, but when i stopped putting a pump into the areas that got GREAT pumps, they began to improve.

fair enough? did i miss anything?

Brilliance.

The pump is no more than the temporary accumulation of blood in local areas, is just occasionally a side effect of training, not an indication of effective training itself, and is unnecessary for growth.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »
no theres alot of science behind why the pump kickstarts hypertrophy into overdrive

cool, feel free to post links to them id like to read about it
Z

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »

Here is the false assumption the people who make such claims reiterate:
THE PUMP INCREASES THE ASSIMILATION OF MUSCLE-BUILDING COMPONENTS

FALSE. By the way, it is not "science," it is purely and simply "bullshit."
And the authors are attempting to promote the sales of products that supposedly promote the "pump."  ::)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2008, 02:57:04 PM »
Here is the false assumption the people who make such claims reiterate:
THE PUMP INCREASES THE ASSIMILATION OF MUSCLE-BUILDING COMPONENTS

FALSE. By the way, it is not "science," it is purely and simply "bullshit."
And the authors are attempting to promote the sales of products that supposedly promote the "pump."  ::)

well heres a few facts

increased blood flow to th muscle increases the amount of nutrients in the muscle.
increased blood flow to the muscle increases the amount of hormones in the muscle.
increased blood flow to the muscle speeds waste removal in the muscle.

theres millions more
increased blood flow causes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which tells the muscle its okay to grow.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2008, 11:30:08 AM »
Can you be "overtrained" going to failure if your lifts continue to go up or in all probability they should decrease if you are correct?

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »
Can you be "overtrained" going to failure if your lifts continue to go up or in all probability they should decrease if you are correct?

If you're not making optimal progress, you are overtraining. You don't have to experience a decrease in strength in order to be overtraining. Overtraining simply means "training too frequently and/or with too much volume." If your intensity is high enough to stimulate growth, yet you're not progressing at an absolute maximum rate, you're overtraining to some degree, even if you're progressing a little.

In other words, it's actually impossible to tell whether or not you're overtraining unless your strength is actually decreasing. Who knows, you may go lift and gain 5 lbs. on each lift. BUT, maybe you could have added 10 lbs to each lift and gotten a couple extra couple reps on top of that with a bit less volume and another rest day. It's guesswork based on expectations, but what you can do just keep striving for what you consider to be optimal progress for you. Just don't do too much work during your workout or train too often. That will cause overtraining.

But yeah, if intensity is high enough to stimulate growth, yet you're not making optimal progress, you are overtraining to some degree because your training is not optimal;)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2008, 11:20:14 AM »
there's no legit studies on the positive effects on pump, just a load of crap by muscle-tech involving women, rats etc
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2008, 11:32:28 AM »
there's no legit studies on the positive effects on pump, just a load of crap by muscle-tech involving women, rats etc

Stating the obvious while only addressing half the truth. In reality there are no legit studies either way. Which is why my logic is smarter, which is to cover all bases given the strong possibility that it's an essential part of the equation. Smart people cover all bases when there are no downsides to doing so, combined with strong potential upsides.

That's in addition to the unassailable proof that it's a huge benefit psychologically.

Add those up, it's a no-brainer.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »
Stating the obvious while only addressing half the truth. In reality there are no legit studies either way. Which is why my logic is smarter, which is to cover all bases given the strong possibility that it's an essential part of the equation. Smart people cover all bases when there are no downsides to doing so, combined with strong potential upsides.

That's in addition to the unassailable proof that it's a huge benefit psychologically.

Add those up, it's a no-brainer.

Yeah covering all bases is a good thing.

What does your training program look like Pumpster? Still using a Bowflex? Still thinking a push up is as good as a bench press?
Z