Author Topic: Cardio discussion  (Read 66538 times)

BurningWithRage

• Getbig II
  • HardCore
Re:Cardio discussion
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2004, 01:38:14 PM »
until you post some references this thread is as useless as a thread that would promote pro-whore-moans.

Godsmacked

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2004, 12:18:06 PM »
Hey GiJoe, I'm alittle over 250lbs @ about 20% bodyfat...I've been doing cardio everyday for the past tw weeks...1hr running 5mph, then 30minutes on the bike at level 5...I've been feeling a little weeker when I workout, could this be from too much cardio? I would like to drop my bodyfat to at least 15% cause I'd like to start seeing vains in my arms & shit....I also have changed my workouts to more reps with less weight, for instance I would curl 55lbs for 10 when I was bulking, but now I do about 30 for 30reps...is this the right direction to go with all my workouts? thanks

gijoe

• Getbig IV
  • On Native Soil
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2004, 03:25:22 PM »
Hey GiJoe, I'm alittle over 250lbs @ about 20% bodyfat...I've been doing cardio everyday for the past tw weeks...1hr running 5mph, then 30minutes on the bike at level 5...I've been feeling a little weeker when I workout, could this be from too much cardio? I would like to drop my bodyfat to at least 15% cause I'd like to start seeing vains in my arms & shit....I also have changed my workouts to more reps with less weight, for instance I would curl 55lbs for 10 when I was bulking, but now I do about 30 for 30reps...is this the right direction to go with all my workouts? thanks

Without knowing you or your metabolism, I really think 1.5 ED of cardio is excessive and impacting your resistance exercises.  Also, go back to training like you did for mass, don't change the rep and set scheme up.  Make sure the most important area is up tight--the nutrition.  Cut the carbs down to only complex and none toward the EOD.  Keep the protein high and fats low.
Lots of work to do :-(

Godsmacked

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2004, 04:12:18 PM »
GiJoe,
If I am correct, complex carbs would be brown rice-oatmeal-potatoes...I have cut two out of my five daily meals to being Isopure protein shakes which are 50g's each, but it does not give me the essential carbs I beleive my body needs...do you think it would be ok if I threw in a 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal giving me 50g's carbs?

gijoe

• Getbig IV
  • On Native Soil
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2004, 04:25:15 AM »
The oats in the shakes are fine.  I ground mine up finer in a blender, but it's all a matter of taste.

Godsmacked

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2004, 01:28:15 PM »
Haha,I meant make it in a blender...ok, one more question since you seem to know you're shit...Since chicken breasts are so high in cholesterol & a healthy consumption would be 200-400g's should I use excessive amounts of balsamic vinegar since I eat up to 6 per day?

gijoe

• Getbig IV
  • On Native Soil
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2004, 08:32:05 AM »
I think as a BBer, a person could easily go as high as 600mg per day without a second thought.  I think there is about 60mg in a boneless, skinless chicken breast, so you'r OK.

Ghost Rider

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2004, 05:40:01 PM »
I think as a BBer, a person could easily go as high as 600mg per day without a second thought.  I think there is about 60mg in a boneless, skinless chicken breast, so you'r OK.
I heard a chicken breast has up to 220G's of chol! Where did you see it only has 60 buddy?! As for me, I use a shit load of vinegar! Thins out the blood, you got the right idea!

gijoe

• Getbig IV
  • On Native Soil
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2004, 12:12:19 PM »
I heard a chicken breast has up to 220G's of chol! Where did you see it only has 60 buddy?! As for me, I use a shit load of vinegar! Thins out the blood, you got the right idea!
There you go....buddy.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl

BurningWithRage

• Getbig II
  • HardCore
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2004, 02:50:54 PM »
GiJoe,
If I am correct, complex carbs would be brown rice-oatmeal-potatoes...I have cut two out of my five daily meals to being Isopure protein shakes which are 50g's each, but it does not give me the essential carbs I beleive my body needs...do you think it would be ok if I threw in a 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal giving me 50g's carbs?
thats funny, carbs arent essential.

mister_bicepzz

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2004, 02:21:14 AM »
having trained a lot of clients and put them thru different cardio routines, my advice to all who want to burn some fat but keep the most muscles is do short high intensity sprints on the treadmill. 15, 16 minutes at the highest speed you are comfortable with. 3, 4 times a week.

good luck.

gijoe

• Getbig IV
  • On Native Soil
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2004, 08:31:20 AM »
GiJoe,
thats funny, carbs arent essential.
"essential" is all a matter of opinion.  

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2004, 12:55:08 PM »
Just to throw my thoughts into the mix.
I decided to lean up a little a couple of months ago. And all I've done is backed off the carbs a bit, drinking more water and eating really clean. Seems to be working. Although its going to take longer than if I included cardio but it should help me keep all my size and hopefully I can keep growing.
Anyone else do this?

I do this...or i may.  I've been doing cardio like i felt i should but i swear i do better with my lo-cal diet and only doing cardio 3 times a week.
:-)

BurningWithRage

• Getbig II
  • HardCore
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2004, 01:05:37 PM »
gijoe you still have posted no references and im worried when you say keep fats low, essential fatty acids are very important and should not be kept below 20% for extended periods of time.

gijoe

• Getbig IV
  • On Native Soil
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2004, 06:57:25 AM »
Did I miss something?  I didn't know I was supposed to provide any references.  I do agree though, EFA's should be around 20% of the diet.  That is low to me.  EFA's are an "essential" part of our diet, so don't skimp.

heavy-duty

• Getbig III
  • mike mentzer, rest in peace and God bless you.
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2004, 03:00:25 PM »
Hi, GiJoe,

How about this H.I. cardio, done for a short time like it's meant on the article (say like 15 min.) for the traditional pre-contest bodybuilder, getting closer to contest day (say like 2 weeks out)?

I ask this cuz I'm 2 weeks out, doing 1 hour on the recumbent  lifecycle I have in home, on manual, level 3, and it tears my heart out like hell. I do it at night (11 pm) and train with the weights in the morning. Thanx.
go highintensity or go to hell

gijoe

• Getbig IV
  • On Native Soil
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2004, 10:29:25 AM »
Hi, GiJoe,

How about this H.I. cardio, done for a short time like it's meant on the article (say like 15 min.) for the traditional pre-contest bodybuilder, getting closer to contest day (say like 2 weeks out)?

I ask this cuz I'm 2 weeks out, doing 1 hour on the recumbent  lifecycle I have in home, on manual, level 3, and it tears my heart out like hell. I do it at night (11 pm) and train with the weights in the morning. Thanx.

I think it is a great way to get in contest shape.  Do HIIT cardio 1-2 times a day for no more than 20 minutes each time.  I know I would rather bust my a** for a few minutes than for 1-2 hours doing traditional cardio when I am all depleted and feeling like crap already! ;D

pwhite

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2004, 12:48:07 AM »
I justed wanted to say that this article explains is it all.  In high school I was on the swim Team. As a sprinter it was obvious that I needed more intense training, and lots of weights.  This article just goes to prove that the 12,000 meters a day my couch had us swimming did nothing but burn us all out, preventing us from reaching our peak.  I am changing my routine starting tomorrow.  
Thanks!!

Prox

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2004, 10:04:36 AM »
I have been cutting a little bit now because of the summer, I am doing very well, I was becoming too big. I incorporated cardio in my training and starting lowering the carbs dramatically; almost only eat brown rice and some vegetables.
I was advised from a friend and I read it some where that it was good for you to have a shake after your training and then go do your cardio. What do you guys think about that?
I have to do my training and cardio at the same time. I train 5 times a week and take cardio 4 times a week, 2 hardcore cardio where I cycle or run as a maniac for one minute and then chill for the next 3-5 min for 40 min, and the chill cardio 2 times a week for 40 min.
So whats your opinion about taking a shake after the pumping and then go and hit the cardio.
The shake is compromised of 45gr and protein and about 40-55 simple carbs with creatine

Sorry how long this is ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2004, 04:25:51 AM »
I have been cutting a little bit now because of the summer, I am doing very well, I was becoming too big. I incorporated cardio in my training and starting lowering the carbs dramatically; almost only eat brown rice and some vegetables.
I was advised from a friend and I read it some where that it was good for you to have a shake after your training and then go do your cardio. What do you guys think about that?
I have to do my training and cardio at the same time. I train 5 times a week and take cardio 4 times a week, 2 hardcore cardio where I cycle or run as a maniac for one minute and then chill for the next 3-5 min for 40 min, and the chill cardio 2 times a week for 40 min.
So whats your opinion about taking a shake after the pumping and then go and hit the cardio.
The shake is compromised of 45gr and protein and about 40-55 simple carbs with creatine

Sorry how long this is ::)

If possible, bump up the carbs in the post workout drink slightly. 70-80 grams would not make you fat. Only help to prevent muscle breakdown.

Other than that, it looks real good.

The drink as it looks now, would get an 8/10. Really good. Just lacking the proper amount of carbs, although that is slightly debateble.

Good luck

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2004, 10:27:52 PM »
Post workout drink should have roughly a 2:1  carb/protein ratio.  So about 80 grams of simple carbs and 40 grams of protein.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2004, 03:19:00 PM »
I avoid protein immediately after, instead going straight for the carbs.....sugar, cake, anything. Protein within the hour though.

http://golfaustralia.blogspot.com

suckmymuscle

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2004, 04:00:43 AM »
  Doing cardio for 20 minutes, three times a week, benefits your health and has no negative effects on your muscle growth. In fact, it allows you gain muscle while keeping your bodyfat low, because it allows you to eat more protein and carbs after your weight training-which is highly anabolic-while burning the excess in the for of fatty acids, provided, of course, that you do your cardio first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. Anything more than one hour of cardio per week will will hamper muscle growth dramatically.

flower

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2004, 08:04:54 AM »
 Anything more than one hour of cardio per week will will hamper muscle growth dramatically.

From Danny Padilla  (www.originalgiantkiller. com)
Do aerobics burn muscle tissue?

No, you can increase your calorie intake if you include aerobics in your work out routine.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2004, 11:55:58 PM »
  He is wrong. More than one hour of aerobics per week will force an adaptation of the body to cardiovascular fitness. You can't adapt in size and cardiovascular capacity at the same time because the body's resources are very limited.