Author Topic: Rooney Rule  (Read 5643 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Rooney Rule
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »
With all the standard end of year coaching changes, if a team knows the guy they want, why waste everyones time with a pointless interview? I'm all for equality in the league, but if Dallas wants to keep Garrett, why interview a minority? If I was a black coach, and some team called me in for a "token" interview, I wouldn't be pleased. I guess they get some interview experience, but how intensive could they be if the team knows they are not hiring the guy?

body88

Re: Rooney Rule
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
With all the standard end of year coaching changes, if a team knows the guy they want, why waste everyones time with a pointless interview? I'm all for equality in the league, but if Dallas wants to keep Garrett, why interview a minority? If I was a black coach, and some team called me in for a "token" interview, I wouldn't be pleased. I guess they get some interview experience, but how intensive could they be if the team knows they are not hiring the guy?

I guess the rule was instituted because of the huge percentage of African American players vs. the lack of black head coaches.

With hundreds of millions of dollars on the line, I think it's safe to assume an owner would hire anyone who could get them wins.

Black, white, green, orange...the cream always rises to the top.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:56:25 PM »
The NFL is well known for its symbolism over substance policies as well as its self-congratulatory attitude regarding such policies. 
~

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 03:36:02 PM »
Raiders being investigated for potentially violating the Rooney Rule. Speaking from experience, coming from an organization where you were required to interview any candidate that applied for a position and have to explain why you didn't select the minority candidate, I think the rule, while probably having good intentions, is worthless. If the Raiders were set on getting Gruden back, would it really matter if they went through the motions of interviewing a minority for the sake of perception?  Makes no sense to me