Author Topic: equipment thread.  (Read 131561 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: equipment thread.
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »
Zottman curls i never see these Days...another Gironda favourite.

I've tried and still use more than a few of Gironda's pet exercises. But, I've tried Zottman curls several times and do not care for them at all.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »

I've tried and still use more than a few of Gironda's pet exercises. But, I've tried Zottman curls several times and do not care for them at all.
i agree 100%. I feel that Hammer curls or Reverse Curls are more effective( i do them on my preacher bench).

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »
i agree 100%. I feel that Hammer curls or Reverse Curls are more effective( i do them on my preacher bench).

Yeah, with Zottman's I feel like I'm doing a baton twirl at the top of the movement. The tension doesn't feel right. I'm probably not doing it correctly.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »
Stephen (Funk) and others, I just got this Football bar, loaded with 100 lbs of Dan Lurie (Brooklyn, NY) plates, for $90.00 on Craigslist.
A steal...

The plates alone go for a buck a pound on eBay all day long...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Stephen (Funk) and others, I just got this Football bar, loaded with 100 lbs of Dan Lurie (Brooklyn, NY) plates, for $90.00 on Craigslist.
A steal...

nice it's in great shape too. billard put out a similar bar years ago i think they called in the multiexercise bar will have to check. i got my billard book when i was about 8 or so , 53 years ago OMG....
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 04:30:49 PM »
A steal...

nice bar

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »
nice it's in great shape too. billard put out a similar bar years ago i think they called in the multiexercise bar will have to check. i got my billard book when i was about 8 or so , 53 years ago OMG....
;Dpics from inside billard cat...
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 08:11:16 AM »
looked it up actually called the billard multi-purpose positive grip exerciser.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
looked it up actually called the billard multi-purpose positive grip exerciser.
well if funky says its so...then i believe him  :)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
neck exercisers ;D ;D ;D
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »

You know what? That's a great idea, and beats the hell out of holding a plate against your temple while laying on your side.
I may try making one of these!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »
or just a plain neck strap as sold by york bb or cap bb. cap one hanging on york squat stands, york one fell apart after 25 years of use.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
or just a plain neck strap as sold by york bb or cap bb. cap one hanging on york squat stands, york one fell apart after 25 years of use.
same pic  heavy duty grippers 100,150, 200, 250, 300 next to sword they just came out with 350's really don't need them no one was able to close  the 300's yet.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 04:32:35 AM »

Does that have a fleece-type lining? My first gym (the very old-school one) had a harness like that. You could tell from the color and condition of the leather that it was something of an antique, but guys loved it. I never knew who made it, but I wonder now if it was a York original. When it came to that and the one you mentioned, it's hard to believe these days that they ever made anything like that to last so long.

When I asked the front desk to order me a leather model for my personal use, the ones they make now are not the same, which truly disappointed me. The rivets and other hardware just don't seem to be as durable as the "house harness." I wasn't crazy about putting on my head something that the whole gym community had worn and sweat in; especially that liner, which was like a sponge! Most guys who used it wore a hood or cap underneath for that reason.

The only disadvantage of that style of harness is you can't really position it to work the sides of your neck. But, I'll bet that football helmet can! ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 04:50:35 AM »

These (at least, their modern day equivalent's) and the lateral raise version are the only "machines" I regularly use. In each movement, the stress is placed as close to the desired spot as is possible. There is little room for your arms to contribute to the movement, and maximum tension is kept on the target muscles.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 04:54:23 AM »
arm blaster, never thought too much of these, i had one used a couple of times didn't care for the feel. >:( >:( >:( >:(

I felt like it restricted my breathing. Some guys use them and LOVE'em. I tried one while doing cable press-downs to keep my elbows in check, but never saw a "need" for it. It's been years since I touched or even seen an arm-blaster.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »

Does that have a fleece-type lining? My first gym (the very old-school one) had a harness like that. You could tell from the color and condition of the leather that it was something of an antique, but guys loved it. I never knew who made it, but I wonder now if it was a York original. When it came to that and the one you mentioned, it's hard to believe these days that they ever made anything like that to last so long.

When I asked the front desk to order me a leather model for my personal use, the ones they make now are not the same, which truly disappointed me. The rivets and other hardware just don't seem to be as durable as the "house harness." I wasn't crazy about putting on my head something that the whole gym community had worn and sweat in; especially that liner, which was like a sponge! Most guys who used it wore a hood or cap underneath for that reason.

The only disadvantage of that style of harness is you can't really position it to work the sides of your neck. But, I'll bet that football helmet can! ;)
yes that one has a fleece like lining, the old york was just made of  the same material like a lifting strap for deadlifts. the head helmet thing looks like you could work your neck from all angles.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »

I felt like it restricted my breathing. Some guys use them and LOVE'em. I tried one while doing cable press-downs to keep my elbows in check, but never saw a "need" for it. It's been years since I touched or even seen an arm-blaster.
i don't think much of them either just keep it around for a curiosity piece. i wonder if these two guys ever really used them for any length of time or were they just trying to help weider move product.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:55 AM »
power rack york aka isometric rack
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 10:08:08 AM »
power rack york aka isometric rack
on the second rack there usually is a chinning bar attached to top, whoever this belongs to subbed a piece of wood for whatever reason.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »
got to admit a simple rack like this would have saved me loads of money...and space.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »
got to admit a simple rack like this would have saved me loads of money...and space.

i bought mine like this in the early 80's the portable model
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 04:02:54 AM »
just trying to help weider move product.

Edited for accuracy.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:11 AM »

Edited for accuracy.
true. ad for power rack.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!