Author Topic: Humanity is cosmically special. Here’s how we know  (Read 38182 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Humanity is cosmically special. Here’s how we know
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »
I don't know exactly, but it would be bad situation.  Crops, seasons, tides, weather, etc....would all be impacted.   A sudden, natural stop of the earth's movement would potentially shift continents.  Again, don't really know.

Yet when the bible has a story in it where God stopped it so one tribe could wipe out another, it's totally believable? I know you saw this question coming

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2017, 06:21:03 AM »
Yet when the bible has a story in it where God stopped it so one tribe could wipe out another, it's totally believable? I know you saw this question coming

LOL!  Without being arrogant, yes, from a mile away.  

I almost quoted from Joshua and then decided to play along.

If by natural causes the earth were to stop it would be catastrophic.  That's not what you're referring to though in scripture...a natural event.  Much like the flood, parting of the sea, sun stopping in the sky, etc....all events were sovereignly guided and controlled by God.   Remove God and the impossible (or supernatural) is no longer possible.  Scripture is the inspired word and story of God and his creation so God remains permanently involved.  

Remove God and convert the history to purely natural causation and you have a customized position to defend against.  It's a straw man argument and special pleading fallacy as well.  Hope you didn't spit out your coffee laughing!

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2017, 07:51:37 AM »

As I've made clear to so many atheists/agnostics before you I'm not here to change your mind or the next atheist's mind or the atheist after that.  As far as I'm concerned the atheists' opinions are set in stone and unfortunately those folks have sealed their own fate.

I would be a believer in god if the evidence was there. I never understood the theists' argument of the need to deny or refuse god.

It would be like a devout Jew, Muslim, or any other creed trying to convince you that their beliefs are correct.

If you could look at it objectively, you'd see their philosophy is no more valid than yours.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
I would be a believer in god if the evidence was there. I never understood the theists' argument of the need to deny or refuse god.

It would be like a devout Jew, Muslim, or any other creed trying to convince you that their beliefs are correct.

If you could look at it objectively, you'd see their philosophy is no more valid than yours.

Plenty of evidence available.  Gotta be willing to follow it.  Just adhere to the scientific method atheists claim to hold to.

What don't you understand about that?

Main difference being other faith systems don't have Christ, fulfilled prophecy, resurrection, Holy Spirit, etc....they lack an anchor to hold their position.

My position is unyielding and challenged only by subjectivity.  Perhaps there's more to what I stand for than you realize?  ;)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »
Plenty of evidence available.  Gotta be willing to follow it.  Just adhere to the scientific method atheists claim to hold to.

What don't you understand about that?

And show us this adherence. This should be good.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
And show us this adherence. This should be good.

The scientific method evaluates a premise or thesis statement by asking questions, collecting data/evidence, testing that data/evidence and following it to a logical conclusion.   There are many definitions of the scientific method so I leave it to the atheist community to determine which methodology should be used to follow evidence for God.  

But all you really need to do is read the bible and do what it says to do.

Lee Strobel, Christian apologist/author/former atheist/former journalist utilized the scientific method and journalistic evidence gathering techniques to discover the reality of God.  He left atheism and entered theism as a Christian.   Has a good half dozen books on the topic....I've read 3 of them.

Was it good for you?

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »
The scientific method evaluates a premise or thesis statement by asking questions, collecting data/evidence, testing that data/evidence and following it to a logical conclusion.   There are many definitions of the scientific method so I leave it to the atheist community to determine which methodology should be used to follow evidence for God.  

But all you really need to do is read the bible and do what it says to do.

Lee Strobel, Christian apologist/author/former atheist/former journalist utilized the scientific method and journalistic evidence gathering techniques to discover the reality of God.  He left atheism and entered theism as a Christian.   Has a good half dozen books on the topic....I've read 3 of them.

Was it good for you?

Your real answer is "all you need to do is read the bible and do what it says to do" -hardly scientific my friend.

You'll probably be surprised at me saying that science can neither prove or disprove the existince of god.

However, all the proposals on who and what god is throughout humanity, ie that has been put forth on the table, can easily be concluded as irrational or unsubstantiated. That's the edge of agnosticism.

And this is why religions are called “faiths” collectively. Because you believe something in the absence of evidence. That’s what it is! That’s why it’s called “faith”! Otherwise we would call all religions “evidence,” but we don’t, for exactly that reason.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »

Your real answer is "all you need to do is read the bible and do what it says to do" -hardly scientific my friend.

You'll probably be surprised at me saying that science can neither prove or disprove the existince of god.

However, all the proposals on who and what god is throughout humanity, ie that has been put forth on the table, can easily be concluded as irrational or unsubstantiated. That's the edge of agnosticism.

And this is why religions are called “faiths” collectively. Because you believe something in the absence of evidence. That’s what it is! That’s why it’s called “faith”! Otherwise we would call all religions “evidence,” but we don’t, for exactly that reason.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Absolutely correct that is my simple position.

Science is simply knowledge....knowledge of the natural.

My point about atheists simply adhering to the scientific method they purport to abide by still stands unanswered.

Tyson is woefully ignorant concerning matters of God and simply ignores any and all evidence via platitudes and cliches that his faithful mistake for wisdom.  This further supporting my point.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
LOL!  Without being arrogant, yes, from a mile away.  

I almost quoted from Joshua and then decided to play along.

If by natural causes the earth were to stop it would be catastrophic.  That's not what you're referring to though in scripture...a natural event.  Much like the flood, parting of the sea, sun stopping in the sky, etc....all events were sovereignly guided and controlled by God.   Remove God and the impossible (or supernatural) is no longer possible.  Scripture is the inspired word and story of God and his creation so God remains permanently involved.  

Remove God and convert the history to purely natural causation and you have a customized position to defend against.  It's a straw man argument and special pleading fallacy as well.  Hope you didn't spit out your coffee laughing!

Hey, if you can believe that, more power to you  :)