Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 634705 times)

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #850 on: September 02, 2022, 03:08:33 PM »
Nothing dense about recognizing that people can read the same thing and have different interpretations.  But you have to not be a doofus to understand that.

I think different interpretations and picking what you want to believe go hand in hand.

At least that's what i see from all my friends and family members.

Which is pretty normal in every part of life, to be fair.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #851 on: September 04, 2022, 12:23:12 PM »
I think different interpretations and picking what you want to believe go hand in hand.

I think it is, but it's the pretending from each group that their interpretation is the only right one when (especially religion) its obviously and demonstatably wrong

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #852 on: September 05, 2022, 02:41:01 PM »

Completely agree. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #853 on: January 16, 2023, 11:18:13 AM »

Jaguars, Titans come together for group prayer for Damar Hamlin at midfield before do-or-die game
Teams are facing off in what amounts to AFC South title game
By Ryan Morik | Fox News
Published January 7, 2023
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jaguars-titans-come-together-group-prayer-damar-hamlin-midfield-do-or-die-game

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #854 on: January 16, 2023, 11:48:02 AM »

Jaguars, Titans come together for group prayer for Damar Hamlin at midfield before do-or-die game
Teams are facing off in what amounts to AFC South title game
By Ryan Morik | Fox News
Published January 7, 2023
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jaguars-titans-come-together-group-prayer-damar-hamlin-midfield-do-or-die-game

Fuck those kneelers.  They don't know shit let alone God.  Whited sepulchers all.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #855 on: January 17, 2023, 01:01:08 AM »
Praying publicly is the ultimate virtue signal.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #856 on: January 17, 2023, 10:38:54 PM »

I've said it before, but people who insist on public prayer are in it for themselves. The main reason I can say this is because Jesus himself said not to do it in his sermon on the mount. So for any christian to ignore his teaching and do it anyway.. no other explanation fits other than its for the show.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #857 on: January 20, 2023, 03:43:28 PM »

Depends on the context.  Public prayers at events are more unifying than anything else.  So is the prayer by the players (and everyone at the stadium) for Hamlin.  Those are good things. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #858 on: January 21, 2023, 01:03:17 AM »
Depends on the context.  Public prayers at events are more unifying than anything else.  So is the prayer by the players (and everyone at the stadium) for Hamlin.  Those are good things.
No, all it did was make a bad situation worse. The players had time to think and build up trauma in their heads instead of just continuing the game. Then they decided not to play (no forfeit either) which screwed teams in the league (Bengals, Ravens, Bills, etc) and even considered cancelling the next week's games and moving the playoffs as well.

Now they are having flag football for the Pro Bowl. I wouldn't be surprised if all football was flag football in the next couple years. Soft and weak generation.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #859 on: January 21, 2023, 07:53:28 AM »
Remember this guy?

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #860 on: January 21, 2023, 10:50:18 AM »

It can be.  If I may?

I think that public prayer stems from the Nazarene's statement that "...for where two or three are gathered together in my name, I am with them".

The Nazarene spoke against the BS of the Pharisees and Sadducee's practice of praying loudly in public as it was nothing but self promotion.

Hollyweirdos and the Kneelgroes of the NFL (and they come in all pigments) are the real "virtue signalers".  Fuck them all.

And so you know whereof I speak?  There are plenty of false ministers in every religion.  I had no religion, I followed Jesus of Nazareth and His Word.  When I came to the conclusion that I could no longer live it I gave up my claim of being Christian. 

You cannot serve God and your ego.

That is a big problem with today's religious "leaders".

You cannot serve the public and your ego.

This is THE problem with so many political "leaders".   Especially so the Democraps and RINOs.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #861 on: January 24, 2023, 05:25:00 PM »
No, all it did was make a bad situation worse. The players had time to think and build up trauma in their heads instead of just continuing the game. Then they decided not to play (no forfeit either) which screwed teams in the league (Bengals, Ravens, Bills, etc) and even considered cancelling the next week's games and moving the playoffs as well.

Now they are having flag football for the Pro Bowl. I wouldn't be surprised if all football was flag football in the next couple years. Soft and weak generation.

They had to stop.  The dude literally died on the field and had to be revived.  At that point, you cannot continue the game.  Cancelling was the right thing to do.  And the players praying together on the field was unifying.  What else were they supposed to do? 

The Pro Bowl is a joke.  Flag football?  Ridiculous.  It should have never left Hawaii.  But our governor at the time was an idiot.  He thought the game was "stupid." 

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #862 on: January 24, 2023, 06:52:45 PM »
NFL players "praying"?!  They are NOT Christians.  What they are is a bunch of worthless pieces of shit who deserve to be deported to the middle of the Pacific.

And the subject of their fake prayers can fuck off  and die.  And stay dead.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #863 on: January 25, 2023, 01:35:57 AM »
They had to stop.  The dude literally died on the field and had to be revived.  At that point, you cannot continue the game.  Cancelling was the right thing to do.  And the players praying together on the field was unifying.  What else were they supposed to do? 

The Pro Bowl is a joke.  Flag football?  Ridiculous.  It should have never left Hawaii.  But our governor at the time was an idiot.  He thought the game was "stupid."
No, they didn't have to stop the game. Buffalo should have forfeited if they didn't want to keep playing. By stopping the game it screwed up the whole seeding for the playoffs. A guy died of a heart attack on the field in 1970 and they didn't stop the game. Numerous players have been paralyzed which is worse than death and the game played on.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #864 on: January 25, 2023, 03:18:49 PM »
No, they didn't have to stop the game. Buffalo should have forfeited if they didn't want to keep playing. By stopping the game it screwed up the whole seeding for the playoffs. A guy died of a heart attack on the field in 1970 and they didn't stop the game. Numerous players have been paralyzed which is worse than death and the game played on.

While I am sensitive to the situation that occurred, I think I agree with your assessment here.  I guess I could look up the answer but were the paying fans in attendance offered a refund, partial refund or any sort of compensation? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #865 on: January 25, 2023, 07:42:25 PM »

Man I gotta disagree with you here.  No way would I want to continue playing if one of my teammates or opponents died on the field in the middle of a game.  I don't think the players, coaches, or the league wanted to continue the game.  I get that it messed with the seedings but life and death trumps football. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #866 on: January 26, 2023, 01:49:29 AM »
Man I gotta disagree with you here.  No way would I want to continue playing if one of my teammates or opponents died on the field in the middle of a game.  I don't think the players, coaches, or the league wanted to continue the game.  I get that it messed with the seedings but life and death trumps football.
Soft society today. If he died stopping the game would not stop that. These players claim they are warriors and soldiers and completely meltdown when one guy goes down.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #867 on: January 26, 2023, 01:50:01 AM »
While I am sensitive to the situation that occurred, I think I agree with your assessment here.  I guess I could look up the answer but were the paying fans in attendance offered a refund, partial refund or any sort of compensation?
The fans at the game got refunds.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #868 on: January 26, 2023, 10:43:31 AM »
Soft society today. If he died stopping the game would not stop that. These players claim they are warriors and soldiers and completely meltdown when one guy goes down.

We are definitely raising a generation of sissies, but that doesn't apply to this situation.  This is isn't war.  It's a game. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #869 on: January 26, 2023, 09:13:59 PM »
It can be.  If I may?

I think that public prayer stems from the Nazarene's statement that "...for where two or three are gathered together in my name, I am with them".

The Nazarene spoke against the BS of the Pharisees and Sadducee's practice of praying loudly in public as it was nothing but self promotion.

Hollyweirdos and the Kneelgroes of the NFL (and they come in all pigments) are the real "virtue signalers".  Fuck them all.

And so you know whereof I speak?  There are plenty of false ministers in every religion.  I had no religion, I followed Jesus of Nazareth and His Word.  When I came to the conclusion that I could no longer live it I gave up my claim of being Christian. 

You cannot serve God and your ego.

That is a big problem with today's religious "leaders".

You cannot serve the public and your ego.

This is THE problem with so many political "leaders".   Especially so the Democraps and RINOs.
Most people like The Scott like to play the field.. "I'm not Christian but blah blah blah. The fact is, when it comes to public prayer, it was meant for the church. Jesus could NOT have been more clear bout prayer outside the church.
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Here is were religion fails .. Jim, and Bob and Karen hate that they can't display this widely accepted behavior in front of their friends so they purposely choose to ignore what Jesuis said or say Jesus didn't really know what he was saying. In either case they identify themselves as virtue signalers.

Now I give leniency to the players on the field during such an event. I support that.. I think it fits. But the pregame, precongress, pre anything prayer violates Jesus' instructions so I have to conclude logically, its all about themselves

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #870 on: January 27, 2023, 01:35:00 AM »
We are definitely raising a generation of sissies, but that doesn't apply to this situation.  This is isn't war.  It's a game.
The players are the ones calling it a battle and the season a war.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #871 on: January 27, 2023, 07:17:23 AM »
Most people like The Scott like to play the field.. "I'm not Christian but blah blah blah. The fact is, when it comes to public prayer, it was meant for the church. Jesus could NOT have been more clear bout prayer outside the church.
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Here is were religion fails .. Jim, and Bob and Karen hate that they can't display this widely accepted behavior in front of their friends so they purposely choose to ignore what Jesuis said or say Jesus didn't really know what he was saying. In either case they identify themselves as virtue signalers.

Now I give leniency to the players on the field during such an event. I support that.. I think it fits. But the pregame, precongress, pre anything prayer violates Jesus' instructions so I have to conclude logically, its all about themselves

I do not "play the field".  I lost my faith but understand far better than you what the Nazarene spoke of.  But then neither do I claim to be that which I am not, i.e., a Christian.  Don't like it?  BFD.  I speak the truth about the Nazarene and libtards.  The latter is why you are sooooo 'broffended" by my words.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #872 on: January 27, 2023, 07:54:26 PM »
I do not "play the field".  I lost my faith but understand far better than you what the Nazarene spoke of.  But then neither do I claim to be that which I am not, i.e., a Christian.  Don't like it?  BFD.  I speak the truth about the Nazarene and libtards.  The latter is why you are sooooo 'broffended" by my words.

we can agree to disagree. You know what you are, I know what you are.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #873 on: January 27, 2023, 10:38:50 PM »
The players are the ones calling it a battle and the season a war.

Whomever is saying that is wrong.  No comparison between service members, actual combat and a bunch guys playing a game. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #874 on: January 28, 2023, 08:00:01 AM »
we can agree to disagree. You know what you are, I know what you are.

What I am, in this instance, is correct.    And I can agree to disagree in an agreeable way.  Be well.