Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 758931 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #1400 on: June 17, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
HHH pet project or not? Rey is a huge draw$ There's never been more of a perfect replacement then Sin Cara. He'll get into the groove. Just give him a little time.
I've seen everyone of his televised matches and really don't get what all the complaining is about.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1401 on: June 17, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
I broke the story on this past weeks "Wrestling Reality 1 on 1" that airs on TribLIVE Radio in Pittsburgh, that WWE is preparing to implement some new changes to Monday nights.

After speaking with sources I have learned that there is a plan to add a pre-show to RAW from 8:30-9pm EST. It would be a countdown show to RAW that would take place at the arena where RAW is being held each week. The production would include Superstar interviews, fan interaction and obviously further promoting the major stories going on.

I have been told it would be something similar to a college game day live countdown like ESPN on any major network might do leading up to a big game.

From what I am hearing, this addition to WWE's programming is very close to being a done deal and would likely start this fall. Its more time on the USA network during prime time hours on a Monday night which can mean more money. The ability to insert sponsors and promotions in the countdown show also can mean more profit for the WWE.

This is apparently an idea that the WWE has been discussing for quite some time.

Follow Justin LaBar on Twitter

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1402 on: June 23, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
pwtorch:

WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels will be returning to WWE TV on next week's Raw from Las Vegas.

Michaels, who has not appeared on WWE TV since WrestleMania season in April, was announced as the "special guest star" of next week's show during Raw Monday night.

WWE also confirmed next week's Raw will have a Raw Roulette playing off the TV taping in Las Vegas. WWE has not announced any matches for next week's show.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1403 on: June 23, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »
pwtorch:

Ring of Honor's announcing situation is going through changes leading up to their syndicated television debut in September.

Long-time ROH announcer Dave Prazak is remaining with the company and will be handling color commentary on Internet PPVs, but it's up in the air on whether ROH will use another announcer for the TV broadcasts.

Former WWE announcer Kevin Kelly will continue to be the lead announcer on Internet PPV and TV as the "voice of ROH."

ROH is scheduled for a press conference on Friday in Baltimore, Md. to officially announce the sale of the promotion to Sinclair Broadcasting. ROH will also announce more specifics on the new TV show, which could include official details on the announcing line-up.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1404 on: June 23, 2011, 07:26:57 PM »
BALTIMORE, MD - On Friday, June 24, Ring of Honor Wrestling will hold a special live press conference to reveal details of it’s fall debut of ROH on Sinclair Broadcast Group’s television stations.

Appearing in person at this event to give statements and answer questions will be new Ring of Honor COO Joe Koff, ROH founder/former owner Cary Silkin, and ROH TV executive producer Jim Cornette. They will be joined by a large number of ROH stars, including World Tag Team Champions Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin, World Champion Eddie Edwards, top contenders Davey Richards, the Briscoe Brothers and more.
Hosted by the voice of ROH television, Kevin Kelly, the event will also preview that weekend’s ROH pay-per-view event, Best In The World 2011, live from the Manhattan Center in New York on June 26th.

The press conference will be beamed live via satellite to many Sinclair affiliates, and will be available for viewing in it’s entirety on the Internet at www.rohwrestling.com following it’s conclusion.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1405 on: June 24, 2011, 04:13:30 PM »
Jim Ross and Shawn Michaels both announced today via Twitter that both are involved with a new WWE DVD project, along with Bret "The Hitman" Hart. J.R. interviewed HBK and Bret today for over five hours.

Jim Ross posted the following on Twitter: "Spent 5 hrs 2day interviewing HBK & the Hitman 4 Oct DVD. No holds barred talk. Special day 4 me."

HBK later posted: "Since its out. @BretHart & I did do int. 2day w/@JRsBBQ. It was awesome to say the least. I REALLY think u all will like it!!"

Ross has been talking about a huge project coming up that he's been working on. I'm not sure if this is it, but regardless, it's surely going to be a can't-miss DVD if it involves HBK and Bret Hart "together". One could only imagine it has something to do with the "Montreal Screwjob", but we'll give you full details as soon as they are available.
http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/article/....rt-today-131767

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1406 on: June 24, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
It was 4 years ago today that Chris Benoit killed his wife, child, and himself.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1407 on: June 24, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
c/o LOP:

- The value of the McMahon family's WWE stock is currently $163 million. For a comparison against UFC, Lorenzo Fertitta's stock would be worth $506 million, Frank Fertitta's would be worth $506 million and Dana White's stock would be worth $113 million.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1408 on: June 24, 2011, 04:55:20 PM »
Ross has been talking about a huge project coming up that he's been working on. I'm not sure if this is it, but regardless, it's surely going to be a can't-miss DVD if it involves HBK and Bret Hart "together". One could only imagine it has something to do with the "Montreal Screwjob", but we'll give you full details as soon as they are available.
http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/article/....rt-today-131767

Yeah, they're gonna admit it was a work...just like I've said all along!!
 ;) :D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #1409 on: June 24, 2011, 07:51:35 PM »

Yeah, they're gonna admit it was a work...just like I've said all along!!
 ;) :D

haha, i agree.  Love that topic with more hardcore fans.  Never understood why anyone would think that VKM would allow the bio piece on Hart to be aired unless it was for his own purposes?  Comical actually.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1410 on: June 24, 2011, 08:47:55 PM »
haha, i agree.  Love that topic with more hardcore fans.  Never understood why anyone would think that VKM would allow the bio piece on Hart to be aired unless it was for his own purposes?  Comical actually.

Yep.
They've kayfabed it since November 1997, and have enjoyed the self-satisfaction of putting on the biggest work in the history of the industry.
Now that they're all past their primes, this is likely an attempt to reboot their egos and stay somewhat relevant in a business that has passed their generation by.

mass 04

• Getbig V
Chavo Guerrero Released
« Reply #1411 on: June 25, 2011, 08:07:03 AM »
Chavo Guerrero released
June 25, 2011
World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms on the release of WWE SmackDown Superstar Chavo Guerrero as of today, June 25, 2011. We wish Guerrero the best in all future endeavors.

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Chavo Guerrero Released
« Reply #1412 on: June 25, 2011, 10:19:55 AM »
Twitter:

Yes, it's true. My release is the big news I was talking about. But let's get something straight. Iasked for my release. I was just tired of not being used correctly. Just cuz u can make other ppl look good, doesn't mean they should just have u lose to them. The same thing happened to Eddie. After being champ, they still had him working mid card status.

Being a Guerrero, we've been taught since diapers to get the most out of ppl & matches. It's our gift, but also our curse. WWE has always used us to make other ppl look good. It all comes down to being happy. I was not happy in WWE anymore. I had a smile on my face last night though when I got my release though!   now it's time for me to start being a Guerrero again, and start kicking ass again, be able to tell stories in the ring like u know we can.   win or lose I will never go back to the place WWE put me in. I will never go back to being under utilized and watching ppl who suck get bigger "pushes" than me!

Thank u to all of u who stuck by me & kept reminding me, I was better than that!   stay tuned.. Big things coming!! Now I will really be able to entertain u!   like me or hate me, 1 thing I have always tried to do is entertain u and give u fans your $ worth. Even if my hands were tied most of the time. I love u all and can't wait for the future!! So happy. 

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1413 on: June 25, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
IMO the only reason he had a job was because of Eddie and the only reaction he's gotten in the past 5 years is a cheap pop when he does one of Eddie's moves.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #1414 on: June 25, 2011, 12:25:34 PM »
Bit of a surprise, but he's been completely under-utilized for years now.  Great worker, great talent, decent mic work, and even showed good comic timing in his Hornswoggle and Vicki segments.  Pushed in the right direction, and used properly, he's a valuable asset to any company.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1415 on: June 25, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »
IMO the only reason he had a job was because of Eddie and the only reaction he's gotten in the past 5 years is a cheap pop when he does one of Eddie's moves.
x's 2 when he was kerwin white he was a few monthes from release till eddie died.
F

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1416 on: June 25, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
Source: Wrestling News Live

Quote:
Below are some of the highlights:

Shawn’s thoughts on Scott Hall missing his WWE Hall Of Fame induction: “You have to admire him, You’ve gotta start somewhere and I remember Kevin telling me and me thinking “you know what, that’s gotta be a good start. The fact that he is aware of it and I think that’s good as that’s what we all want for(him). I know everything one is synthetic and everyone cares about Scott and we all do and I was actually really happy to hear that he’s at least aware of it to the point where he can make a statement like that. As we discussed that night, we all know there is going to be several other Hall Of Fame moments for some of the dudes in our group.”

Shawn’s thoughts on his induction into the WWE Hall Of Fame: “It’s one of those things like winning your first world championship that you always tell people about and its moments like that when it is all real. It doesn’t matter what all the nay-Sayers say about our line of work and those moments, it’s the most real thing in the world and to get to share it with your present family and your work family and the guys that were the only family I had for many years on the road and being acknowledged in my line of work and having all the people, my extended family (there), it is very easy for me to well up and cry like a baby when I think about it because there is such an attachment for me to all of those people….. There is such a special connection from me to the people and I think it’s because they they knew how I felt about that line of work and how much it meant to me.”

Shawn’s thoughts on how the product has changed: “I don’t wana be one of those old timers that continually knock everything because on one hand it’s very tough on the younger talent these days as they are not having the luxury of what we had which is years of experience and countless matches with countless different styles before we came to the WWE. They are getting thrown from the frying pan into the fire.”

Shawn’s thoughts on a return to WWE: “One, honestly I really don’t watch much right now and I do that purposely. I’ll tune in every now and then and I’ll tune in for a little bit then see something that I don’t care for and I go away. The reason I do that is because if I watch and I see something I don’t like and I turn away, I know that I’m not ready to come back and look at it objectively yet . I think there will be a time when I’d like to come back and help and contribute in the back if needed but to do that, I feel like I need to have a real washed, clean, objective, constructive point of view and for me personally, it feels like whilst I was working, I did not watch that much as I always felt I was too close to it to be objective.”

Shawn’s thoughts on John Morrison: “His name comes up a lot, and a lot of people say “I like him but…” and he’s a young guy and it’s my understanding that he just got injured and as much as you hate hearing about a guy getting injured, it’s never good but at the same time, I remember telling John Cena when he got hurt, “Dude they need to see you come back”. It’s part of the “warrior making” stage and so I think John (Morrison) some time but as the kids like to say, “He has to get some street cred”, He’s got to take some lumps, gotta take on a couple of scars, get beaten up a little but I certainly think there is potential there. He certainly has all the physical attributes that he needs. He is a sweetheart of a guy and I think that is what hurts him, I just don’t think he has a bad bone in his body.”

Shawn on why he choose not to hold the World Title one last time: “No, No I didn’t. That’s(holding the belt) is a full time commitment and the guy that does that needs to make every show, doing absolutely everything and that just wasn’t for me. The deal with me coming back was still worth quite a bit but I didn’t do all the live events and I was taking darn near every Wrestlemania off. That was just something, it was more important to me just to come back and I’m gona be honest, I like it more than the way I did. I know there are some people like “You only held the world title this many times” I just didn’t think it (was fair), I think the guy who does that needs to be the work horse and I no way wanted to be that.”

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1417 on: June 26, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
They must have meant after Wrestlemania.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1418 on: June 27, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »
WCW star said to be on Raw tonight....

possible spoiler

http://twitter.com/#!/realddp

In reference to a tweet about whether he might be appearing on Raw tonight: "No might about it"

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1419 on: June 27, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »
WCW star said to be on Raw tonight....

possible spoiler

http://twitter.com/#!/realddp

In reference to a tweet about whether he might be appearing on Raw tonight: "No might about it"

I never liked anything about Page as a performer.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1420 on: June 30, 2011, 04:26:08 AM »
C/O SEScoops.com / LOP

WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton participated in an interview with Phoenix, Arizona based rock station 98KUPD promoting this week’s SmackDown tapings. Highlights from the interview are as follows.

* Orton discussed his past issues with drug abuse, including an incident in 2006 where he overdosed, stopped breathing and his wife called an ambulance to save his life. Orton said he and his family discuss the bad choices he’s made in WWE’s upcoming DVD release, Randy Orton: The Evolution of a Predator

“I was ashamed of it for a long time, but now talking about it and getting it off my chest—when my in-laws and mom watches it, they’re going to cry. My wife talks about when I stopped breathing and the ambulance came,” Orton said.

* Orton noted his recent concussion at a live event in Spain, saying the Raw taping the day after was “the biggest blur” and that he “couldn’t focus or concentrate.” He said it was the sixth concussion he had suffered, which had WWE worried. He said it was three years since his previous concussion, and that he had suffered some “bad ones” earlier in his career.

* Orton was broached on the subject of not being able to say he’s a wrestler, but rather, a “WWE Superstar.” Orton added, “Honestly, a lot of things we’ve talked about thus far in this interview, they’d be upset with. I’m not like, ‘eff it,’ but I try to be real.”

* Orton shared a story of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson trying to get him in trouble prior to WrestleMania. Orton said he gave his opinion on The Rock during an interview with ESPN—that he wasn’t buying his return speech about returning to WWE and never leaving again. Orton said Johnson called management and claimed the WWE Superstar slammed him and Triple H in the interview. Orton feels Rock mentioned Triple H to grab their attention even though he didn’t criticize “The Game” in the interview.

Orton said he had “got in trouble” and “made Vince mad” for his statements. He feels the interview was “blown out of proportion” and that Johnson should have confronted him over his remarks, rather than complaining to Vince McMahon and management.

* Orton said Cena is “light years” ahead of everyone in WWE on the microphone, including The Rock. Orton then criticized Cena’s wrestling ability by laughing at his in-ring style.

“When I watch him, I feel he’s a little stiff, hard to move, robotic. It certainly hasn’t hurt him. I’m much better than John Cena, but on the mic, he’s light-years ahead of all of us, including The Rock,” Orton said.

– Orton knocked the actresses who have portrayed his wife on television.

“Both those women were actresses. Not even actresses. They were like models who couldn’t act; it was awful. (hosts laughed) It actually ruined both segments because they couldn’t act,” Orton said.

– Orton brought up Chris Jericho, who said he is missed as a locker room leader. When asked about Downfall on ABC, Orton said he doesn’t think Jericho received permission from WWE to host the game show. He said there was some conflict over the matter, but Jericho is the type to approach Vince McMahon.

“Jericho is type of the guy to go in Vince’s office and tell him this is what he’s doing and tough,” Orton said. “A lot of newer, younger guys are intimidated by Vince. They’re scared to knock on his door. Jericho—I miss him being around—would go tell McMahon what’s going on.”

– Spured on by the hosts, Orton levied some unflattering remarks towards WWE Divas Champion Kelly Kelly after saying he worked a brief romance storyline with her a few years ago.

“I would be a method actor, and actually sleep with her,” joked host John Holmberg.

“I could name a few method actors in WWE,” Orton replied. “Like, ten guys.”

The hosts tried to pry names from Orton, who tried to deflect from the topic by joking that it’s all the big guys on the roster. Orton and the hosts continued to joke about who Kelly has or hasn’t slept with throughout the show.

– Several other minor topics were discussed including his baby oil look, whether he’s defecated in the ring, wishing there were more wrestlers like Sheamus, Mark Henry being difficult to work with, and more. The full interview is available here.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1421 on: July 01, 2011, 06:43:29 AM »
Batista took to Twitter last to comment on Finlay’s departure from WWE earlier this year.

“So I’m going to say this because I said I would elaborate later….and I’m sure I’ll get some grief over it but I don’t realy care. and this is completely the opinion of an outsider looking in,” Batista wrote.

“I only know what I’ve been told about Fit Finlay’s release and I dont know exactly what happened…but no one in this world could convince me that Fit, the honorable man that he is, did anything that would warrant him losing his livelihood. I wouldn’t have made it to the top without fit, and I wouldn’t have made it through alot of the longass unbearable tours either.

“I seriously think that there’s a huge void in the WWE without him. He isn’t replaceable.”

Finlay was fired from his producer’s after authorizing the interruption of the American national anthem by The Miz during a live event.

Batista was also asked to comment on Melina, his former associate. He wrote, “beautiful, talented, hope she gets out of wrestling asap.”

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1422 on: July 02, 2011, 10:57:24 AM »
WWE World Hvt. champion Randy Orton issued an apology to Kelly Kelly overnight on Twitter after discussing Kelly's dating life in a much-talked-about radio interview on Tuesday. The following is Orton's statement to Kelly (real name Barbara Blank):

"Yesterday, I put my foot in my mouth and I need to try my best to make it right. I owe Kelly K an apology," Orton said Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

"The fact that she has dated a few guys I work with doesn't make her a bad person, and is also none of my or anyone elses buisness.

"Yesterday I got caught up in a live radio interview and brought Kelly's personal life into it. It was completely uncalled for.

"Kelly I hope one day you can forgive me. I do however understand if that doesn't happen. Please everyone trash me all you want, but please drop this topic out of respect for Barb

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1423 on: July 02, 2011, 11:13:04 AM »
cont'd

Off his official Facebook account

Quote:
I’m sure that you have all heard people say things like: “I am going to simplify my life” or, “I am going to get back to my ‘roots!’” Well, now that I have retired from the WWE after more than twenty-five incredible years of entertaining all of you that is EXACTLY what my family and I are going to do!

Let me give you a little history. I grew up in a military family. My father is a retired Air Force Col. and he stressed the importance of discipline, hard work and self-sufficiency. Although I did not grow up hunting, I did grow up around it. After all, I did grow up a Texan! But, I was spending 250 days a year on the road jumping off of things much too high, so I simply did not have the time. However, I always wanted to get into hunting. It took a severe back injury to lead me down a path that would change my life forever, and that included. starting to hunt.

When recovering from my back surgery a friend of mine took me on a deer hunt. It was a life changing experience. I found myself alone in the midst of the splendor of God’s creation. For what seemed like the first time I listened to the wind blowing, and the birds chirping. I saw a bluer sky and greener grass. I enjoyed the challenge of becoming a better marksman and better provider for my family. Also, it was then that I realized I was actually a mortal. Everything in my life changed, forever. Jesus Christ became my personal Lord and Savior and I vowed to live the rest of my life guided by faith and to read and study the Bible to help me on that journey.

Although I thought my WWE career was over at that time and I would actually get to start hunting more, God had other plans for me. With faith, determination and the support of my wife Rebecca, “The Showstopper” had one more come back in him. I was able to not only get back into the WWE ring, but to come back and wrestle some of the best matches of my life. I had made it back !

Now, fast-forward almost a decade later and I find myself retired from the WWE ring. I have been hunting for over 12 years and now find myself hosting a show on Outdoor Channel. To be specific, I am hosting, “Shawn Michaels” MacMillan River Adventures with my friend Keith Mark. The show will air Tuesday nights at 11:30 pm EST and Saturday night at 7:00 pm EST starting June 28, 2011!

Since word of me hosting an outdoor television has reached the public I have been getting a lot of questions about hunting and why I hunt.

From a practical standpoint, here are some of my thoughts:

Venison is the healthiest, most natural organic renewable nutrition on the earth. Not to utilize it would be a shame.

The science of sustained yield demands that the surplus be harvested each natural season of harvest to balance game populations from next spring’s production on a limited habitat. In others words, even if many hunters hunt only for sport, there is a checks and balances that must be maintained to ensure both the health of the wildlife and us.

The quality of our air, soil and water, and therefore our quality of life, is determined by the health of wildlife habitat. It is hunters, fishers and trappers that monitor and pay for the management thereof. It is due to the hunting lifestyle and wildlife management financed by hunters that has created the healthiest wildlife biodiversity on earth today. Because of the hunting lifestyle, there are more deer, turkey, cougars, black bears and wild geese in North America than ever in recorded history. Without the billions and billions of dollars generated each hunting season by American hunters, the unprecedented success of wildlife management in America would cease to function. That would be criminally irresponsible.

Hunting is the most basic natural function of man, beast and nature. God created us as hunters and gave us the birds and animals to manage, hunt and eat.

In Genesis 1:28 it says, “And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.”

It continues in Genesis 1:29-30, “And God said, ‘Behold I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, and every green plant I have given for food.’”

Genesis 10:9 “He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.”

Genesis 27:3 “Take your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out to the field and hunt game for me.”

Genesis 21:20 “And God was with the boy (Isaac) and he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an expert with the bow.”

Jeremiah 16:16 “Behold, I am sending for many fishers, declares the Lord, and they shall catch them. And afterward I will send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain and every hill.”

Acts 10:13 “Peter was told to, ‘Rise, kill and eat.’”

Also, hunting is incredible fun and naturally challenging, I enjoy the time I spend in the wild with my family and friends and I believe that the discipline involved in the hunting and shooting sports are helping my children to grow up to be productive, responsible people and citizens.

Plus, at the Michaels’ home, we eat what we kill. In addition to that we and countless other hunters have donated thousands of pounds of meat to homeless and needy people across this nation and others. We recognize how healthy wild game is and we are proud that we do not buy our meat at the grocery store. I am a hunter! That’s how God made me and I am not ashamed to admit that. My family and me have gotten back to our roots. We hunt, we pray and we love our country.

I recognize that no matter how much love, faith, and factual information I provide there are going to be people who simply will not agree with the lifestyle I have chosen. Personally, it's that diversity that makes us so great. I would ask that as I respect your right to disagree, you show me the same courtesy. I spent 25 years defending myself and you against the stereotype that we're all a bunch of "dimwitted toothless rednecks," what's the harm against doing it again for another group of people I believe in? And at the end of the day there will still be those who just love to be difficult because...well, just because. To you I say this, my lifestyle is 100% protected by and in accordance with, the laws of this land...in every sense. You wanna challenge me in that? I’ll knock you sox off!!

And if you're not down with that...I got two words for ya...

Shawn Michaels

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1424 on: July 02, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
The Observer-
Triple H has told Sin Cara not to listen to anyone's advice on American wrestling but his reports The Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Hunter has told the Lucha Libre star to seek him out if he experiences any problems and if he wants to work with anyone in particular.