Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Sports Discussion Boards

LeBron's Image

<< < (3/57) > >>

Dos Equis:
Poll: LeBron James' popularity dropsEmail Print Comments463 ESPN.com news services

Everyone Hates LeBron James?
LeBron James ranked sixth-most disliked figure in U.S. sports

LeBron James made two significant moves this NBA offseason -- from Cleveland to Miami in free agency, and way down the ladder in terms of being a well-liked pro athlete.

Instead of his change to the Heat being seen as the best way he can win a championship, many have looked at it and how he chose to announce it as a selfish move.

-- Henry Schafer, executive vice president of The Q Scores Company

The Q Scores Company, which conducts popularity polls, has James rated as the sixth-most-disliked figure in American pro sports. The results, known as "Q Scores," were reported Tuesday by CNBC.

According to the report, James is viewed in what the company considers a negative light by 39 percent of the general population. In January, while still a Cleveland Cavalier, he was viewed positively by 24 percent of the population, negatively by 22 percent, according to the figures from the Q Scores Company.

"LeBron's positive score at that time [January] was the highest we had ever seen it," Henry Schafer, executive vice president of Q Scores, told CNBC.

The company's current tally puts James' drop in positive rating in the last seven months at 41.5 percent. Q Scores considers James to be viewed in a positive light by only 14 percent of the people polled.

James has faced relentless criticism since announcing in a one-hour ESPN special in July that he was leaving the Cavaliers for the Miami Heat. Even Cavs owner Dan Gilbert got in on the act, calling James' decision "cowardly" and later saying he believes James quit during playoff games this year and in 2009.

"Instead of his change to the Heat being seen as the best way he can win a championship, many have looked at it and how he chose to announce it as a selfish move," Schafer told CNBC.

The top-five disliked sports personalities, according to the Q Scores Company (the demographic among those polled was not mentioned): Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick; golfer Tiger Woods; Cincinnati Bengals receivers Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco; and Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5575810

Dos Equis:
No he didn't play the race card.   ::)  That fool has been a media darling for his entire career. 

LeBron James, manager: Race a factor
ESPN.com news services

HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. -- LeBron James and his manager say they believe race played a factor in how the two-time reigning NBA MVP's decision to join the Miami Heat was covered this summer.

Neither James nor his manager, Maverick Carter, cited specifics when talking to CNN for a story that aired Wednesday night.

James did not want to spend much time on the subject after Thursday's Heat practice.

"I think people are looking too far into it," James said. "But at the same time, sometimes it does play a part in it. I've said what I had to say, and I'll continue to move on."

In the interview, CNN correspondent Soledad O'Brien asked about "The Decision," the one-hour special on ESPN in which James announced that he would play for the Heat, and some of the negative headlines it generated.

"It's just about control and not doing it the way it's always been done or not looking the way that it always looks," Carter said.

O'Brien asked if race played a role.

"I think so at times," James said. "It's always, you know, a race factor."

Said Carter: "It definitely played a role in some of the stuff coming out of the media, things that were written for sure."

James turned down a chance to stay with the Cleveland Cavaliers and ultimately decided to join the Heat in the oft-criticized televised special that raised $3 million for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.

It's not the first time race has been a discussion point in the aftermath of "The Decision."

After James made his announcement July 8, Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert responded that same evening by releasing a fiery letter to fans of his team, saying James was being "narcissistic" and "cowardly." That prompted Rev. Jesse Jackson to enter the fray, saying the Cavs owner saw James as a "runaway slave."

An e-mail to Carter's representative requesting further comment was not immediately answered.

"I don't walk in LeBron's shoes," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "From our standpoint, we've moved on from the summer."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5633199

Earl1972:
they all play the race card when they want sympathy

E

body88:
Lebron james is a dumb fuck. He really is. Dumb as rocks.

Dos Equis:
 With the Knicks losing another game to the Celtics but claiming they’ve earned respect, New York moves on to prepare for Friday night’s arrival from LeBron James and go back to complaining about how the superstar spurned New York to sign with the Heat in the summer. James explained yesterday some of his thinking about choosing a more established team over a struggling franchise. “Winning appeals to me. And it’s all about winning. I’m not about saving franchises or saving this or that,” he said.

http://leeinks.weei.com/sports/2010/12/16/thursdays-morning-mashup-lebron-james-not-about-saving-franchises-like-knicks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version