Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

R.O.B. (Rest Only Briefly)

<< < (5/5)

Humble Narcissist:
Yep, some still call it muscle spinning. I've heard Tony Robbins refer to it as that.

pkaz:

--- Quote from: oldtimer1 on December 08, 2021, 12:35:57 PM ---This is a very old training protocol.  In the 50's they called it muscle spinning. Vince Gironda might have been the biggest proponent.  Rest 30 seconds or less using moderate weights is a killer. You can't use heavy weights training like this and it gets you in shape quick. The trade off as Ironnate said was your single rep and low rep sets will suffer from not training for strength but now training for muscular endurance. Some guys training like this like to throw in some heavy days to compensate. Others like Ironate said some cycles with heavy weights and some training for a lack of a better term muscular endurance will be a plan for many.

I read what a guy wrote about the bodybuilding champ Steve Davis.  He said looking at him train it would seem he was using light weights. He found training with him the weights were heavy because it was he would do a set then Steve would do a set, back and forth with no rest. He said 115lbs back rows got heavy quick by the 6th set only to move on to the next exercise. I heard the same thing about Chris Dickerson.  At his best he trained at such a pace that the seemingly light weights were really heavy.  He used for example 160lbs for seated cable lat rows. Seems like a light weight but try to do 6 sets with very little rest between sets after 6 sets of chins. Another guy said he saw Tom Platz using 40lbs for flies that he super set with 135lb bench presses.  Again you can make a light weight heavy by using short rests, higher reps and a strict form. 

The biggest proponent of light to moderate weight training right now is Ryan Humiston. His views on youtube are huge.  He uses high reps and very short rest between sets. He's fond of saying the old way of using 8 reps with a heavy weight is easier than his method. On one video he said he sometimes does a 100 strict deep reps of squats with just the 45lbs bar.

Let's call a spade a spade. On the Navy site they had a question and answer section. Someone wrote what kind of lifting program should I do to prepare for SEALS training?  The answer was there was no weight lifting in SEAL training.  Is SEAL training hard?  It's brutal even though on the Navy site they make it seem doable so they won't hurt recruiting for the Navy as a whole. The majority of these 20 year olds joining actually think they have a shot to become a SEAL.

I've seen black guys training in a broken down abandoned kid playground doing bodyweight stuff training seriously hard. In the affluent town a few miles away in a gym that has everything, the majority of the guys do not impress that they are in shape. They should join the black guys in the poor town's playground doing chins, dips, pushups and other stuff.

--- End quote ---

That is true about Steve Davis. I trained with him while he was getting ready for the 1981 Mr Olympia.

Humble Narcissist:

--- Quote from: pkaz on December 15, 2021, 06:25:24 PM ---That is true about Steve Davis. I trained with him while he was getting ready for the 1981 Mr Olympia.

--- End quote ---
Steve's diet was probably even more brutal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version