Author Topic: Life after defeat for Mitt Romney  (Read 74310 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Life after defeat for Mitt Romney & the GOP
« Reply #325 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »
working with congress???..congress won't work with him....they spent the first four years talking about Obama's birthcertificate and trying to de-legitimaize him as president......and then taking some 40 some odd votes to try to repeal Obamacare........

Russia is not really much of threat and their actions actually show how weak they are as a country.........you culd argue a bnit about Iraq..but they did not want us there and wanted us to leave...they wouldn't sign the immunity from prosecution agreement adn so we had to leave hence you would have seen a slew of American soldiers on trial on false trumped up charges.........jury is still out on Obamacare but millions more people have insurance and many republican governors have jumped on the bandwagon....

Obama is not to be worked with - but blocked, tried for treason, and sent home. 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »

Obama is not to be worked with - but blocked, tried for treason, and sent home. 

Midget

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #327 on: December 05, 2014, 03:54:49 AM »
Romney's Inner Circle Is Convinced He's Running
by Linette Lopez

Mitt Romney held meetings with donors in New York this week that left one attendee convinced he is running for president again in 2016.

A member of Romney's inner circle who spoke to Business Insider said the former governor of Massachusetts traveled to New York City on Monday where he met with key financial backers of his past campaigns to lay the groundwork for a 2016 White House bid.

The source, who was at one of the meetings, said other attendees included developer Stephen Ross, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson, and hedge funders Julian Robertson and Paul Singer.

A representative for Romney did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the meetings from Business Insider.

Romney, a former Republican governor of Massachusetts, previously ran for president in 2008 and in 2012, when he was the GOP nominee. In addition to potential donors, the source said Romney met with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) this week.

Christie endorsed Romney during his last race. However, he is expected to mount his own White House bid in 2016.

Christie's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment about his meeting with Romney.

During his time in New York, the source said Romney also attended Monday night's football game between the Miami Dolphins — owned by Ross — and Johnson's New York Jets. Dom Cosentino, a Jets beat writer, reported seeing Romney and Johnson walking across the field together before the game.

Romney's meetings this week are not his first efforts to reconnect with former donors and campaign staff. In October, The Washington Post reported on a "flurry of behind-the-scenes activity" that Romney's "friends" said was leading him to "more seriously consider" running for president again. This activity included multiple meetings with donors and "supporters in key states" as well as an October dinner in Boston that Romney and his wife hosted for "former campaign advisers and business associates."

Romney made a series of campaign appearances for Republicans around the country ahead of last month's midterm elections.

Publicly, Romney has insisted he has no interest in a third presidential campaign. In an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt in August, Romney said he "loved running for president," but his past losses made him think another Republican might have a "better shot."

"I love the country enough to know that I’m not as good a candidate this time around as I think the other guys would be, because they’re new and not defined," Romney said. "I want the country to win. I do not want to see Hillary Clinton as our next president."

In spite of these comments, in that very same interview he indicated "circumstances can change."

"Let’s say all the guys that were running all came together and said, 'Hey, we’ve decided we can’t do it, you must do it.' That’s the one of the million we’re thinking about," said Romney.

In September, Romney's wife, Ann, indicated Romney would be discouraged from mounting another White House bid if former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) enters the 2016 field. Both Bush and Romney are relatively moderate Republicans who would likely compete for the same voters, and donors. They are also especially appealing options for Wall Streeters in a GOP field that is otherwise likely to be dominated by the libertarian leaning Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky), Tea Party darling Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), and the infamously combative Christie.

Bush has said he is thinking about launching a campaign. In an October interview, Ann said Romney was "done" running for president. However, the source who spoke to Business Insider said she would be fully supportive if her husband does decide to run in 2016.

A Quinnipiac poll released late last month showed Romney and Bush were the two potential 2016 presidential candidates with the most support from Republican voters.

Romney led Bush by eight points in that survey.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #328 on: December 05, 2014, 04:15:27 AM »
running mitt?   lol just give the dems the white house now.  if romney coudln't beat obama - when he was SO unpopular - can he beat a dem who is polling 10 or 15 points higher?   Base doesn't want a RINO.  See 2008 and 2012.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #329 on: December 05, 2014, 04:22:12 AM »
"I'm not concerned about the very poor..."

"Don't try and stop the foreclosure process. Let it run its course and hit the bottom."

"Let Detroit go bankrupt"

"I like being able to fire people who provide services to me"

--Mitt Romney

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #330 on: December 05, 2014, 06:49:59 AM »
running mitt?   lol just give the dems the white house now.  if romney coudln't beat obama - when he was SO unpopular - can he beat a dem who is polling 10 or 15 points higher?   Base doesn't want a RINO.  See 2008 and 2012.

Hillary is going to destroy Mitt...the only way Hillary loses is if something devastating comes out..adn i'm sure Bill has that covered already.....he's done his research and paid off who he needed to pay off to make sure nothing comes out

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #331 on: December 05, 2014, 06:51:17 AM »

"Don't try and stop the foreclosure process. Let it run its course and hit the bottom."

--Mitt Romney

The primaries haven't even started and the dems have enough on Romney to beat him again...and wait until Rand Paul begines to beat up on him

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #332 on: December 05, 2014, 06:52:50 AM »
Hillary is going to destroy Mitt...the only way Hillary loses is if something devastating comes out..adn i'm sure Bill has that covered already.....he's done his research and paid off who he needed to pay off to make sure nothing comes out

I'd love to see the BASES get fired up.   Let's put Cruz vs Warren.  

Seriously, looking at their lifetime records... Hilary and Mitt are so close on so many issues.  AND toss in Mitt's sudden support of minimum wage and declaring we need PERMANENT amnesty lol...

Mitt schwerved far left after losing this election.  He was far left before the election.  The only time Mitt's ever been conservative was when he was calling himself "severly conservative" when running for President in 2012.

Mitt's a liberal.   It's undeniable now.   Any repub that chooses mitt in the primary, you want a lib in office.   He's not "electable" - he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in 2012.  And he doesn't represent the base, not even a little.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #333 on: December 05, 2014, 07:30:14 AM »
The primaries haven't even started and the dems have enough on Romney to beat him again...and wait until Rand Paul begines to beat up on him

I can disqualify Mitt with three words:  Swiss bank account.  
Give me two more words and I can do it again: Cayman Islands.  

Do we really want a candidate and President who parked his money in a Swiss bank account?  Or elsewhere offshore?  There is nothing wrong with money in a Swiss bank account if you are from Switzerland, but most Americans do not know anyone with money in a Swiss bank.  In fact, most of us only know of Swiss banks via television, movies, and news reports and it is almost always in connection with someone hiding money, laundering money, or otherwise engaged in criminal/shady conduct.   :-X

Remember, this is the same guy who refused to disclose his many tax returns--even though his own father insisted that candidates should do exactly that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #334 on: December 05, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »

--Mitt Romney

I only looked up the first one, and it is out of context.  I'm sure the rest are as well, but I'm not going to bother checking.

Mitt Romney: "This is a time people are worried. They're frightened. They want someone who they have confidence in, and I believe I will be able to instill that confidence in the American people. And, by the way, I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich, they're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the very heart of the America, the 90, 95 percent of Americans who right now are struggling, and I'll continue to take that message across the nation."

CNN's Soledad O'Brien: "Alright, I know I said last question, but I've got to ask you. You just said, 'I'm not concerned about the very poor because they have a safety net,' and I think there are lots of very poor Americans who are struggling who would say, 'that sounds odd.' Can you explain that?"

Romney: "Well, you had to -- finish the sentence Soledad. I said I'm not concerned about the very poor that have a safety net, but if it has holes in it, I will repair them. The challenge right now. We will hear from the Democrat Party, the plight of the poor. And there's no question, it's not good being poor, and we have a safety net to help those that are very poor. But my campaign is focused on middle income Americans. My campaign -- you can choose where to focus. You can focus on the rich. That's not my focus. You can focus on the very poor. That's not my focus. My focus is on middle income Americans, retirees living on Social Security, people who can't find work, folks that have kids that are getting ready to go to college. These are the people who've been most badly hurt during the Obama years. We have a very ample safety net, and we can talk about whether it needs to be strengthened or whether there are holes in it, but we have food stamps, we have Medicaid, we have housing vouchers, we have programs to help the poor. But the middle income Americans, they're the folks that are really struggling right now, and they need someone that can help get this economy going for them."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/02/01/romney_im_not_concerned_about_the_very_poor.html

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #335 on: December 05, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
I saw Mitt a few months ago.

Was surprised at how scatter-brained and weak he seemed to be, especially in the presence of his wife. She clearly has him by the balls, but good.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #336 on: December 05, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
I saw Mitt a few months ago.

Was surprised at how scatter-brained and weak he seemed to be, especially in the presence of his wife. She clearly has him by the balls, but good.

That's very much my impression as well... but when you pause to think about it that is not an uncommon dynamic with political wives.  Michelle Obama and Nancy Reagan give off the same vibe.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #337 on: December 06, 2014, 06:09:21 AM »
I can disqualify Mitt with three words:  Swiss bank account.  
Give me two more words and I can do it again: Cayman Islands.  

Do we really want a candidate and President who parked his money in a Swiss bank account?  Or elsewhere offshore?  There is nothing wrong with money in a Swiss bank account if you are from Switzerland, but most Americans do not know anyone with money in a Swiss bank.  In fact, most of us only know of Swiss banks via television, movies, and news reports and it is almost always in connection with someone hiding money, laundering money, or otherwise engaged in criminal/shady conduct.   :-X

Remember, this is the same guy who refused to disclose his many tax returns--even though his own father insisted that candidates should do exactly that.

In Mitt's case, it's most likely capital gains tax evasion.  Many Americans did this through UBS, until the IRS put a stop to it around 2009.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #338 on: December 13, 2014, 03:45:35 AM »
The public is more interested in Mitt Romney’s 2016 prospects than the media
By Philip Bump  

In one sense, Mitt Romney has been running for president for nearly 13 years, ever since he stepped on-stage at the Salt Lake City Olympics, bolstering his gubernatorial run, which bolstered his first presidential run, which bolstered his second presidential run. And now, talk of a third run, which has progressed from "No no no no" he won't run to well, actually....

It's fair to wonder the extent to which Mitt Romney 2016 and the coverage of it is a reflection of the media doing its media thing. Political reporters know Romney and his staff from 2012; they have not-disinterested sources who are willing to speculate.

That's certainly part of it. If you consider the number of articles each week that mention Clinton (as in Hillary) and Romney alongside "running for president," there are two obvious trends. The first is that the media has written much more regularly about a Hillary Clinton candidacy than a Romney one -- in part since she's much more likely to run and in part because that's led the press to re-scour her record. (That accounts for some of the spike in September.) The second obvious trend: Articles about Romney happen more when other news is slow, like June, August, and now.

But here's the surprising thing. We have a decent means of determining how much interest there is in a topic among the public at large: Google searches. When you compare searches in the United States for "Romney 2016" and "Clinton 2016," Romney has caught up with -- and sometimes eclipsed -- Clinton.

This is not polling; it is barely scientific. This does not mean that Romney will run or that if he ran he would win. What it means is that speculation about a Romney candidacy is not merely the idle work of reporters with one eye on the calendar. For some reason -- apparently not media speculation, given how little that's changed -- the public is curious about the prospect of Mitt Romney running for president.

Just in time for the 13th anniversary of his starting to do so.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #339 on: December 13, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
That's very much my impression as well... but when you pause to think about it that is not an uncommon dynamic with political wives.  Michelle Obama and Nancy Reagan give off the same vibe.

Yes, I'd definitiely agree on that.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Mitt Romney--Again!
« Reply #340 on: January 10, 2015, 04:31:52 AM »
Romney to GOP donors: ‘I want to be president.’
By Philip Rucker, Robert Costa and Matea Gold

Mitt Romney forcefully declared his interest in a third presidential run to a room full of powerful Republican donors Friday, disrupting the fluid 2016 GOP field as would-be rival Jeb Bush was moving swiftly to consolidate establishment support.

Romney, the 2012 Republican nominee, has been mulling another campaign for several months, but his comments Friday marked a clear step forward in his thinking and come amid mounting tensions between the Romney and Bush camps.

“I want to be president,” Romney told about 30 donors in New York. He said that his wife, Ann — who last fall said she was emphatically against a run — had changed her mind and was now “very encouraging,” although their five sons remain split, according to multiple attendees.

Advisers said Romney discussed the race with his family over the holidays, when they spent time skiing in Park City, Utah, but he insisted that he has not made up his mind whether to run. Advisers said he recognizes that he would not be able to waltz into the nomination and that the intra-party competition is shaping up to be stiffer in next year’s primaries than it was in 2012.

Bush’s sudden focus on the race in recent weeks has put pressure on Romney to decide soon. Romney has been in regular conversations with major donors, some of whom are pushing him to run again, but confidants have also warned him that his window of opportunity could shut if he does not declare his intentions within 30 to 60 days.

Romney’s comments at Friday’s meeting, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, electrified the world of Republican financiers, who are being courted aggressively by Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and other hopefuls. Romney’s dalliance could freeze enough donors to spoil Bush’s plan to post an intimidatingly huge first-quarter fundraising haul this spring.

“What he has said to me before is, ‘I am preserving my options.’ What he is now saying is, ‘I am seriously considering a run,’ ” said Bobbie Kilberg, a top donor from Virginia who raised millions of dollars for Romney’s 2012 bid. She was briefed by attendees on Romney’s Friday comments. “And he said that in a room with 30 people. That is a different degree of intensity.”

Striving to keep his network intact, Romney on Friday also e-mailed his donors with invitations to his fourth annual policy summit in Park City, scheduled for June 11-13. Called the E2 Summit, the event is billed as an “intimate” gathering of Wall Street titans, politicos and former government officials.

Romney’s associates said that he has become restless since conceding to President Obama on a cold night in Boston two years ago. Romney’s motivation to run again stems from a lingering dissatisfaction with Obama’s policies, both economic and foreign, and a belief that he would have set the country on a better course.

Romney also harbors doubts that Bush and other Republican contenders can defeat likely Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton, advisers said, and is wary in particular about Bush’s political skills.

“I believe Mitt Romney is too much of a patriot to sit on the sidelines and concede the presidency to Hillary Clinton or [Massachusetts Sen.] Elizabeth Warren when he knows that he can fix the country,” said Spencer Zwick, Romney’s 2012 national finance chairman, who accompanied Romney to Friday’s New York meeting.

“I think, at the end of the day, he believes he could actually make a difference,” Zwick said. “He won’t make a decision to run for president based on who else is in the race. He will make a decision based on his own desire and his own abilities.”

Romney’s advisers said he is approaching the decision pragmatically. “He does not go into things looking through rose-
colored glasses,” said one Romney adviser who spoke on condition of anonymity to talk candidly.

This adviser said Romney is far from having his mind made up: “He knows he’ll have to earn it, and he believes in that; that the presidency is too important to hand it over to somebody. He doesn’t talk like that at all. He wants to go out and make his case to the American people and see what happens. But he’s not that far.”

One immediate hurdle Romney would face is that many of the prominent donors that backed his last campaign, as well as some senior operatives who worked for him before, have already been scooped up by Bush or other candidates. GOP lawyer Charlie Spies, who co-founded the pro-Romney super PAC Restore our Future, is now representing Bush’s leadership committee, the Right to Rise PAC, as well as a pro-Bush super PAC of the same name.

Some Republicans have sharply criticized him since 2012 over his missteps on the campaign trail and his final performance — he lost every swing state except North Carolina and finished with 206 electoral votes to Obama’s 332. Democrats successfully cast him as out of touch with the middle class after he was caught on video telling wealthy donors that 47 percent of Americans do not take personal responsibility for their lives.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R), a 2016 presidential hopeful, assailed Romney shortly after the 2012 election: “We have to stop dividing the American voters. We need to go after 100 percent of the votes, not 53 percent.” Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), also eyeing a 2016 run, wrote in his 2013 book that Romney did a “lousy job” talking about the economy “in a way that is relevant to people’s lives.”

Friday’s declaration of interest by Romney, a former Massachusetts governor and businessman, was not welcomed by all of his former allies — especially those close to the Bush family.

“Frankly, he has been bypassed by Jeb,” said Doug Gross, Romney’s 2008 Iowa campaign chairman and longtime Bush ally. “The time for Governor Romney has probably passed. He has already lost twice. The jury is very much out on whether Republican voters would go with him again.”

Romney’s relationship with Bush’s orbit has evolved from warm to strained in recent months. Bush’s chief political strategist is Mike Murphy, who also is close to Romney and advised his successful 2002 gubernatorial campaign. Last year, Murphy helped Romney on TV ads for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, shooting on a California set that bore more than a passing resemblance to the Oval Office.

But as Bush has ramped up his own efforts, Romney’s coziness with Murphy has dissipated. They last met shortly before Christmas, when Romney asked Murphy about preparations for Bush’s campaign and told Murphy he had not ruled out a bid of his own, according to Romney backers with knowledge of the conversation.

Romney has been talking frequently with Stuart Stevens, his top 2012 strategist and a Murphy rival, while keeping a watchful eye on Bush’s moves to woo Romney’s former supporters. On Friday, Bush was in Boston, Romney’s home base where he headquartered his past campaigns, trying to persuade Romney donors to get behind his effort.

Veteran GOP consultant Ed Rollins said, “Romney knows that he can block donors from going to Bush if he sends a clear enough message.”

“If you put Romney and Bush head to head, I think Romney probably wins that fight,” Rollins said. “Nobody is wholesale walking away from him. The donor base and operatives are still there. Bush thought he’d have an open field to easily beat Christie. Romney, if he gets in, changes that plan.”

On Wednesday, Romney lectured at Stanford University in a class titled “Understanding the 2016 Campaign from Start to Finish,” which is taught by his former policy director, Lanhee Chen. Romney later had dinner in Menlo Park, Calif., with Chen, former spokeswoman Andrea Saul and former campaign lawyers Ben Ginsberg and Katie Biber Chen.

Romney has remained close to such power brokers as New York Jets owner Woody Johnson, a Republican fundraiser who co-chaired Romney’s 2012 campaign and who attended Friday’s meeting.

“When I walked into Woody’s box a few weeks ago, Romney was sitting there in a turtleneck,” recalled former New Jersey governor Tom Kean. “He was in good spirits.”

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
Re: Mitt Romney--Again!
« Reply #341 on: January 10, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
Romney to GOP donors: ‘I want to be president.’
By Philip Rucker, Robert Costa and Matea Gold

Mitt Romney forcefully declared his interest in a third presidential run to a room full of powerful Republican donors Friday, disrupting the fluid 2016 GOP field as would-be rival Jeb Bush was moving swiftly to consolidate establishment support.

Romney, the 2012 Republican nominee, has been mulling another campaign for several months, but his comments Friday marked a clear step forward in his thinking and come amid mounting tensions between the Romney and Bush camps.

“I want to be president,” Romney told about 30 donors in New York. He said that his wife, Ann — who last fall said she was emphatically against a run — had changed her mind and was now “very encouraging,” although their five sons remain split, according to multiple attendees.

Advisers said Romney discussed the race with his family over the holidays, when they spent time skiing in Park City, Utah, but he insisted that he has not made up his mind whether to run. Advisers said he recognizes that he would not be able to waltz into the nomination and that the intra-party competition is shaping up to be stiffer in next year’s primaries than it was in 2012.

Bush’s sudden focus on the race in recent weeks has put pressure on Romney to decide soon. Romney has been in regular conversations with major donors, some of whom are pushing him to run again, but confidants have also warned him that his window of opportunity could shut if he does not declare his intentions within 30 to 60 days.

Romney’s comments at Friday’s meeting, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, electrified the world of Republican financiers, who are being courted aggressively by Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and other hopefuls. Romney’s dalliance could freeze enough donors to spoil Bush’s plan to post an intimidatingly huge first-quarter fundraising haul this spring.

“What he has said to me before is, ‘I am preserving my options.’ What he is now saying is, ‘I am seriously considering a run,’ ” said Bobbie Kilberg, a top donor from Virginia who raised millions of dollars for Romney’s 2012 bid. She was briefed by attendees on Romney’s Friday comments. “And he said that in a room with 30 people. That is a different degree of intensity.”

Striving to keep his network intact, Romney on Friday also e-mailed his donors with invitations to his fourth annual policy summit in Park City, scheduled for June 11-13. Called the E2 Summit, the event is billed as an “intimate” gathering of Wall Street titans, politicos and former government officials.

Romney’s associates said that he has become restless since conceding to President Obama on a cold night in Boston two years ago. Romney’s motivation to run again stems from a lingering dissatisfaction with Obama’s policies, both economic and foreign, and a belief that he would have set the country on a better course.

Romney also harbors doubts that Bush and other Republican contenders can defeat likely Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton, advisers said, and is wary in particular about Bush’s political skills.

“I believe Mitt Romney is too much of a patriot to sit on the sidelines and concede the presidency to Hillary Clinton or [Massachusetts Sen.] Elizabeth Warren when he knows that he can fix the country,” said Spencer Zwick, Romney’s 2012 national finance chairman, who accompanied Romney to Friday’s New York meeting.

“I think, at the end of the day, he believes he could actually make a difference,” Zwick said. “He won’t make a decision to run for president based on who else is in the race. He will make a decision based on his own desire and his own abilities.”

Romney’s advisers said he is approaching the decision pragmatically. “He does not go into things looking through rose-
colored glasses,” said one Romney adviser who spoke on condition of anonymity to talk candidly.

This adviser said Romney is far from having his mind made up: “He knows he’ll have to earn it, and he believes in that; that the presidency is too important to hand it over to somebody. He doesn’t talk like that at all. He wants to go out and make his case to the American people and see what happens. But he’s not that far.”

One immediate hurdle Romney would face is that many of the prominent donors that backed his last campaign, as well as some senior operatives who worked for him before, have already been scooped up by Bush or other candidates. GOP lawyer Charlie Spies, who co-founded the pro-Romney super PAC Restore our Future, is now representing Bush’s leadership committee, the Right to Rise PAC, as well as a pro-Bush super PAC of the same name.

Some Republicans have sharply criticized him since 2012 over his missteps on the campaign trail and his final performance — he lost every swing state except North Carolina and finished with 206 electoral votes to Obama’s 332. Democrats successfully cast him as out of touch with the middle class after he was caught on video telling wealthy donors that 47 percent of Americans do not take personal responsibility for their lives.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R), a 2016 presidential hopeful, assailed Romney shortly after the 2012 election: “We have to stop dividing the American voters. We need to go after 100 percent of the votes, not 53 percent.” Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R), also eyeing a 2016 run, wrote in his 2013 book that Romney did a “lousy job” talking about the economy “in a way that is relevant to people’s lives.”

Friday’s declaration of interest by Romney, a former Massachusetts governor and businessman, was not welcomed by all of his former allies — especially those close to the Bush family.

“Frankly, he has been bypassed by Jeb,” said Doug Gross, Romney’s 2008 Iowa campaign chairman and longtime Bush ally. “The time for Governor Romney has probably passed. He has already lost twice. The jury is very much out on whether Republican voters would go with him again.”

Romney’s relationship with Bush’s orbit has evolved from warm to strained in recent months. Bush’s chief political strategist is Mike Murphy, who also is close to Romney and advised his successful 2002 gubernatorial campaign. Last year, Murphy helped Romney on TV ads for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, shooting on a California set that bore more than a passing resemblance to the Oval Office.

But as Bush has ramped up his own efforts, Romney’s coziness with Murphy has dissipated. They last met shortly before Christmas, when Romney asked Murphy about preparations for Bush’s campaign and told Murphy he had not ruled out a bid of his own, according to Romney backers with knowledge of the conversation.

Romney has been talking frequently with Stuart Stevens, his top 2012 strategist and a Murphy rival, while keeping a watchful eye on Bush’s moves to woo Romney’s former supporters. On Friday, Bush was in Boston, Romney’s home base where he headquartered his past campaigns, trying to persuade Romney donors to get behind his effort.

Veteran GOP consultant Ed Rollins said, “Romney knows that he can block donors from going to Bush if he sends a clear enough message.”

“If you put Romney and Bush head to head, I think Romney probably wins that fight,” Rollins said. “Nobody is wholesale walking away from him. The donor base and operatives are still there. Bush thought he’d have an open field to easily beat Christie. Romney, if he gets in, changes that plan.”

On Wednesday, Romney lectured at Stanford University in a class titled “Understanding the 2016 Campaign from Start to Finish,” which is taught by his former policy director, Lanhee Chen. Romney later had dinner in Menlo Park, Calif., with Chen, former spokeswoman Andrea Saul and former campaign lawyers Ben Ginsberg and Katie Biber Chen.

Romney has remained close to such power brokers as New York Jets owner Woody Johnson, a Republican fundraiser who co-chaired Romney’s 2012 campaign and who attended Friday’s meeting.

“When I walked into Woody’s box a few weeks ago, Romney was sitting there in a turtleneck,” recalled former New Jersey governor Tom Kean. “He was in good spirits.”

I think Mitt just wants to stay relevant so potential candidates can go to him and kiss his ring.....or he wants to hang around in case a scandal comes up with Jeb or in case the party feels Jeb is too liberal and turn to him....although I feel Mitt's more liberal than Jeb

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »
Romney has paid for more andreisdafag welfare checks than any other politician out there.  FACT

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
Romney has paid for more andreisdafag welfare checks than any other politician out there.  FACT

paid for your college loans as well

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
paid for your college loans as well

Really/  Explain you perverted freak

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »
Really/  Explain you perverted freak

did you pay for college out of your pocket??????...probably NOT..therefore....free stuff!!!!!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »
did you pay for college out of your pocket??????...probably NOT..therefore....free stuff!!!!!!!!

paying every month - UNLIKE YOU WELFARE PEOPLE FOR YOUR FREE PHONES , HUD, APARTMENTS, MEDICADE, FOOD, DIAPERS, ETC

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #347 on: January 10, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »
paying every month - UNLIKE YOU WELFARE PEOPLE FOR YOUR FREE PHONES , HUD, APARTMENTS, MEDICADE, FOOD, DIAPERS, ETC

Lot of people of ALL persuasions getting the above.....I'm sure your mom and dad received food stamps and Medicare as well

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #348 on: January 10, 2015, 11:05:28 AM »
YEAH !
third time's the charm; this time get Sarah Palin as running mate.
w

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #349 on: January 10, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »
YEAH !
third time's the charm; this time get Sarah Palin as running mate.

Good idea!  ;)