Author Topic: Life after defeat for Mitt Romney  (Read 74365 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Mitt Romney... Again?
« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2015, 10:13:14 AM »
Why is Beach Bum always calling you a troll?

You are pretty spot on with a lot of your posts.

when I'm wrong on a point, he debates that point.
when I'm right on a point, he insults me.

lately, i've been fairly spot on with things.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #401 on: January 23, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »
BayGBM, why don't you tell us how you really feel about Romney?  And while you're at it, post some more pics of curvy, hot blondes.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #402 on: January 23, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
BayGBM, why don't you tell us how you really feel about Romney?  And while you're at it, post some more pics of curvy, hot blondes.

At this point I think he is cartoonish.  His own party does not like him... does not want him... he has been rejected by voters... and he still wants to be president so badly that he won't go away.  He is even now claiming to care about the poor... as I said: cartoonish.  ;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2015, 02:25:19 PM »
Romney needs to just step away and enjoy his time and wealth.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #404 on: January 23, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »
At this point I think he is cartoonish.  His own party does not like him... does not want him... he has been rejected by voters... and he still wants to be president so badly that he won't go away.  He is even now claiming to care about the poor... as I said: cartoonish.  ;D

Loco asked about Mitt Romney, not Joe Biden. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #405 on: January 23, 2015, 03:13:20 PM »
Romney needs to just step away and enjoy his time and wealth.

When Anne is good and ready.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #406 on: January 23, 2015, 10:50:30 PM »
when I'm wrong on a point, he debates that point.
when I'm right on a point, he insults me.

lately, i've been fairly spot on with things.

Dont worry. Try reading his response to my question as to why he didnt serve in the Moore/Sniper thread.

I bent over backwards to get a reply. He is a pathetic coward and a troll. This board deserves a better Mod.

Ron or whatever the uber-mod's name is must be retarded for hiring Beach Bum. GB deserves a lot better.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #407 on: January 24, 2015, 01:46:10 AM »
I've always maintained that the guy who REALLY wants to be president, is exactly the guy you don't need as president. Personal glory whores, psychopaths. Romney doesn't give a fuck about the poor or anyone for that matter. And when he pretends to, it's calculated. Hilary is the same. Just more psychotic.

But hey, don't let anyone stopped the shrieking morons that truly believe that this time it'll be different.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #408 on: January 24, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
I've always maintained that the guy who REALLY wants to be president, is exactly the guy you don't need as president. Personal glory whores, psychopaths. Romney doesn't give a fuck about the poor or anyone for that matter. And when he pretends to, it's calculated. Hilary is the same. Just more psychotic.

But hey, don't let anyone stopped the shrieking morons that truly believe that this time it'll be different.

you know...I agree with this

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #409 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:01 AM »
Loco asked about Mitt Romney, not Joe Biden. 

LOL   ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #410 on: January 27, 2015, 04:08:56 AM »
Iowa Republicans not seeing much of Mitt Romney lately
By Cameron Joseph

DES MOINES, Iowa — If Mitt Romney is serious about another presidential bid, you wouldn’t know it from his presence in Iowa.

Romney has gathered his national campaign team for meetings, quietly reached out to top donors and started calling lawmakers. But there’s little action from him in the Hawkeye State, which kicks off the presidential primary schedule.

The 2012 Republican nominee skipped Iowa’s first big candidate event over the weekend and has made little to no outreach in a state whose caucuses he lost twice, say local Republicans. Romney’s inaction contrasts sharply with his potential foes, many of who are ramping up in the state.

“Gov. Romney hasn’t called me yet. And I’m waiting — literally every night I sit besides the phone,” Iowa Republican Party Chairman Jeff Kaufmann said with a laugh to reporters in Des Moines Friday night. He then predicted all the major candidates would compete in Iowa. “The only disappointment that I’d have is if any candidate believes they can get the Republican nomination and not spend time in this state.”

Some previous Romney backers agree.

“I’ve had one contact from Boston — not from him, I would add. I don’t pick up that a lot of calls have been made to date,” said David Oman, one of Romney’s 2012 campaign co-chairmen and a former state party chairman.

Oman said he was “very comfortable” waiting a bit for Romney to make a decision, but that he’d had conversations with other campaigns as well — and is looking to back a candidate who plans to play hard in the caucuses.

“I’d like to know what Gov. Romney is thinking about and specifically thoughts and plans for what will unfold in Iowa,” he said.

And while some previous supporters have fielded calls from Romney’s staff, he hasn’t personally reached out to many.

The former Massachusetts governor worked Iowa hard in 2008, spending months and millions of dollars there only to finish second to former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R).

In 2012, after more than a year of playing wait and see, Romney came on hard in the last month of the caucuses, only to fall a handful of votes short of a win against former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) that could have helped him quickly sew up the nomination. Instead, he slogged through a long primary season that hurt his chances against President Obama.

Romney advisers say it’s “to be determined” whether he plays in Iowa. But they point out that he’s well-known in the state and argue he has plenty of time to decide what to do.

“He’s talked with several people in Iowa,” said one source close to Romney. “It’s now two-and-a-half weeks since he decided to seriously look at this ... and unlike the others, he doesn’t have to learn the state. He knows it and knows it well.”

Even if Romney runs, he might be best served to skip the state. Iowa’s caucusgoers tend to be older and more conservative, especially on social issues, than GOP primary voters elsewhere.

The former nominee was used as a punching bag over the weekend by speakers at a gathering of more than 1,200 activists in Des Moines organized by Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) and Citizens United.

“It can’t be Mitt. … He choked. Something happened,” business mogul and reality TV star Donald Trump declared to snickers from the audience during his speech. “Sort of like a deal-maker who can’t close the deal.”

The event’s conservative audience only represents a slice of caucus voters, however. Romney has even led in some recent Iowa GOP polls, though that’s likely due to his high name identification in a very crowded field. And he’s campaigned in the state as recently as last year, for now-Sen. Joni Ernst (R).

Other establishment-leaning Republicans are already working the state hard.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) spoke on Saturday to generally positive reviews and has already locked down a top Iowa consultant, Jeff Boeyink. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) has been calling party leaders and politicians throughout Iowa, and held fundraisers for some local candidates, including Gov. Terry Branstad (R) last year.

While others set up campaign structures, it’s unclear whether Romney will reassemble his previous team.

His top Iowa adviser from 2008 and 2012, David Kochel, declined to comment when asked whether he was planning to help Romney or what contact he’d had with Romney’s national team. Kochel instead pointed The Hill to a recent statement saying he has “great affection and respect” for Romney and looks forward “to hearing more from him as he considers his future.”

Freshman Rep. Rod Blum (R-Iowa) said Romney is one of the few candidates he hasn’t heard from.

“I can’t believe Mitt Romney’s going to run. I can’t believe it. Jeb Bush I believe, I talked to him for a half-hour on the phone,” he said Saturday. “A fresh face is what people are looking for. ... That’s why with Mitt Romney — I’m kind of taken aback by it; I can’t believe it’s for real.”

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #411 on: January 27, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »
As in 2012, Romney Can Do No Right in Murdoch’s Eyes
By AMY CHOZICK and MICHAEL BARBARO

The usually grim-faced media mogul practically swooned in his seat. Moments after Jeb Bush delivered what many in the audience described as an unremarkable talk at a conference in Washington, Rupert Murdoch turned to his seatmate, Valerie Jarrett, the White House adviser, to gush over its content and tone.

Mr. Murdoch was pleased that Mr. Bush, the former governor of Florida, had listed the economic benefits of overhauling the nation’s immigration system, confiding in Ms. Jarrett that Mr. Bush, a likely Republican presidential candidate, had said all the right things on the fraught issue, according to three people with firsthand knowledge of the conversation.

It was the kind of warm embrace, from the powerful and widely courted owner of The Wall Street Journal and Fox News Channel, that Mr. Murdoch denied Mitt Romney during his 2012 bid for the White House — a snub that Mr. Murdoch is already signaling he will repeat if Mr. Romney runs in 2016.

In the delicate and unseen campaign underway for Mr. Murdoch’s affections in the next presidential campaign, this much is clear: Mr. Romney is out of the running, a reality that has pained and angered his allies.

Presidential politics is rife with grudges and grievances, but it is hard to recall a display of animus as unsubtle as that which Mr. Murdoch and corners of his media empire have unleashed on Mr. Romney in the past few weeks as he has tried to build support for a third presidential run.

An editorial in Mr. Murdoch’s most prominent American newspaper, The Wall Street Journal, has called Mr. Romney’s last run a “calamity.” Mr. Murdoch has dismissed Mr. Romney as a “terrible candidate.” And, in a final indignity, Mr. Murdoch has heaped praise on Mr. Romney’s potential rivals, no matter how long a shot they have at the Republican nomination. (“Watch Ben Carson,” Mr. Murdoch wrote on Twitter a few days ago, labeling Mr. Carson, a conservative physician and political neophyte, a “principled brave achiever.”)

The disfavor that Mr. Murdoch has showered upon Mr. Romney could have a genuine impact on the early stages of the Republican primary, as Mr. Romney, the party’s nominee in 2012, weighs whether or not to push ahead with a campaign, a decision he is expected to make in the next few weeks.

For Mr. Romney and those around him, the memory of Mr. Murdoch’s aversion in 2012, and its expression in forums like The Journal, still stings.

“It was a concern during the campaign, one that had to be actively managed,” said Kevin Madden, a senior adviser to Mr. Romney’s campaign in 2012.

He acknowledged that The Journal’s editorial page, a battering ram against Mr. Romney then and now, “does have an impact in shaping opinions of many within the party.”

A few of Mr. Romney’s closest friends have lost their patience with Mr. Murdoch. Ron Kaufman, a longtime confidant and adviser, said that Mr. Murdoch “has proven tone deaf” when it comes to politics and bemoaned what he said were the media executive’s ill-informed outbursts.

“It’s like trying to make sense of what Trump does sometimes,” Mr. Kaufman said.

“Vacuous” is how Mr. Murdoch has privately described Mr. Romney, said a person close to the executive who, wanting to preserve his relationship with him, would not discuss private conversations for attribution. That remark is a blunter version of those Mr. Murdoch has made in public in the past month or so.

After reading this article online Tuesday, Mr. Murdoch took to Twitter to advise Mr. Romney to stand down in 2016. “Know and like Mitt Romney as a very nice person,” Mr. Murdoch wrote, “but he had his chance and seemed to lack big vision for this country.”

Mr. Murdoch took special umbrage at Mr. Romney’s handling of immigration in 2012, when the candidate, as an alternative to forced deportation, called for “self-deportation,” in which people in the United States illegally would voluntarily go back to their home countries and apply to emigrate legally.

During a closed-door meeting at the Union League Club in Manhattan that year, Mr. Murdoch called the position foolhardy and asked Mr. Romney to back away from it. Mr. Romney, according to two attendees, replied that he had already softened his language on immigration and that if he abandoned his position he would look like a flip-flopper, a label he loathed. Mr. Murdoch was baffled and dismayed, the attendees said.

A spokesman for Mr. Romney declined to comment.

Asked two weeks ago what he thought of Mr. Romney’s consideration of another candidacy, Mr. Murdoch responded: “He had his chance. He mishandled it, you know?”

The rejection has a personal dimension for Mr. Romney, a former Massachusetts governor whose relationship with The Journal dates back decades. The newspaper assiduously chronicled the career of his father, George Romney, a prominent automobile executive. And Mr. Romney is a devoted Journal reader who has repeatedly sought to reach its readers through his own opinion articles.

Those close to Mr. Romney said he had all but given up on trying to win over Mr. Murdoch. Several of them spoke of the situation as frustrating and inexplicable for him. Mr. Romney, they point out, has nothing negative to say about Mr. Murdoch. “He doesn’t hold it against him,” Mr. Kaufman said.

But these people insist that Mr. Murdoch’s harsh assessment is neither an obstacle nor a deterrent as Mr. Romney decides whether to pursue another White House campaign.

Meanwhile, about a half-dozen mainstream Republican candidates are angling for Mr. Murdoch’s blessing, not to mention Hillary Rodham Clinton, who has developed her own growing rapport with him.

Mr. Murdoch seems eager to play a role in the political process. “I am deeply interested in the future of our country, and I enjoy meeting with potential candidates of both parties,” Mr. Murdoch said by email, responding to an inquiry about his political activity. “I am keen to hear their views, whether it’s on tax reform, immigration or defense and foreign policy.”

Mr. Murdoch remains fond of Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, who played his own role in the billionaire’s plans to foil Mr. Romney. In 2011, Mr. Murdoch joined a group of wealthy and influential Republican leaders who encouraged Mr. Christie to enter the presidential race, convinced he was a more exciting alternative to Mr. Romney, and with broader appeal.

Last May, Mr. Murdoch expressed doubts about the New Jersey governor, saying he expected more damaging stories to emerge about Mr. Christie’s aides in the aftermath of the closing of lanes on the George Washington Bridge. Still, the two men remain in contact, speaking by phone about once every month or two, according to advisers close to both.

Mr. Murdoch remains intrigued by Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, privately extolling his appeal to younger voters and his plans for a flat tax. The two meet often in New York and Washington. But Mr. Murdoch worries that Mr. Paul may face an uphill battle in a general election, said a person who has spoken with Mr. Murdoch.

Then there is Mr. Bush, who calls The Journal his “paper of record.” The fact that he sat between Mr. Murdoch and Ms. Jarrett at the conference hosted by The Journal in Washington was no accident: Mr. Murdoch requested it. Their ties have deepened over the years. Mr. Bush has collaborated frequently on education issues with Mr. Murdoch’s close friend and adviser Joel I. Klein, the former New York City schools chancellor who now leads Mr. Murdoch’s education business, Amplify.

Mr. Murdoch, 83, is executive chairman of News Corporation, which owns The Journal, The New York Post and HarperCollins, among other assets, and is chief executive of 21st Century Fox, the parent company of film and television assets including Fox News and the Fox broadcasting network.

With his characteristic candor and deep, Australian-accented mumble, Mr. Murdoch is making known his high regard for Mr. Bush these days.

“I like Jeb Bush very much,” Mr. Murdoch said in New York two weeks ago. “He’s moving very cleverly, very well,” he added.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #412 on: January 27, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
Murdoch has been around forever.  He's very wise.  He knows people don't like mitt, and he watched mitt lose to a VERY beatable, tired and unpopular obama in 2012.

I have to wonder how many elections romney has to blow before his kneepadding supporters here give up on him.  I mean, 2020 rolls around and "oh, this one is TOTALLY mitt's after the great race he ran to lose in 2016..."

Seriously.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #413 on: January 27, 2015, 04:10:17 PM »
Murdoch has been around forever.  He's very wise.  He knows people don't like mitt, and he watched mitt lose to a VERY beatable, tired and unpopular obama in 2012.

I have to wonder how many elections romney has to blow before his kneepadding supporters here give up on him.  I mean, 2020 rolls around and "oh, this one is TOTALLY mitt's after the great race he ran to lose in 2016..."

Seriously.

One cannot lead if people do not want to follow you.  Normal people understand this, but Romney (and I think his wife is guilty of this too) wants it so badly he is willing to ignore the fact that folks do not want to follow him.  He surrounds himself with "yes" people so he never gets the reality check most people are exposed to.  His reaction to the last loss spoke volumes: he blamed everyone but himself.  His handlers wouldn't let him show his true self; the press was against him; the attack ads were against him... blah blah blah.  Never mind that he was talking about "self deportation," refusing to disclose his tax returns, and alienating 47% of the population.  "I'm not concerned about the very poor..." is not something you say if you are trying to become President.  ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: January 28, 2015, 05:27:13 AM »
Romney built expensive homes after 2012 loss
By Matt Viser

LA JOLLA, Calif. — On a recent weekday, a half-dozen construction workers crowded onto a small plot of land in this pricey community, banging away on an 11,000-square-foot house with expansive oceanfront views that will soon replace one a fraction of the size.

There’s a large master suite, a room for all the beach gear — and a car elevator. Outside, scrawled in graffiti on a wall separating the property from the beach, was a message touting Mitt Romney for president.

Two years ago, Mitt Romney didn’t think he would run for political office again. And in the aftermath of his bitter defeat in the presidential campaign, he embarked on something of a real estate spree. He simultaneously began building two multimillion-dollar homes, one here on the Pacific Ocean and another outside Salt Lake City. He also bought a third, a slopeside ski chalet in Park City, Utah.

For the first time in more than a decade, unencumbered by political considerations, the two-time presidential candidate and former private equity executive was free to spend his many millions without concern of how it might look. But now that he’s considering a third presidential bid, the monuments of his wealth could become a political inconvenience, particularly as one of his key themes has been America’s growing income divide.

Romney is traveling on Wednesday to Mississippi State University, a campus in the country’s poorest state, where aides say he will outline his vision for a better America.

Romney, whose last presidential bid was hampered by his image of excessive privilege and insensitivity, may recognize the trouble his real estate holdings could cause in another campaign.

He is taking steps to shed some of his property, including retaining a broker who is currently showing the La Jolla home to potential buyers, according to a Romney aide. The aide would not disclose the asking price or explain why the former Massachusetts governor and his wife, Ann, want to sell the home after more than four years of city permitting, hearings, and construction.

In all, Romney has four homes. All of them are at least twice as large as the average home in the United States. They contain spas and hot tubs, and garages to hold up to four cars. They’ve built kitchens and dining rooms large enough to accommodate their large, sprawling family (5 sons, 5 daughters-in-law, and 23 grandchildren and counting).

“He wants to be close to his family,” said Ron Kaufman, a longtime Romney confidant. “There’s nothing more important to him than his kids and grandkids. . . . And if you could afford a house, and you’re as close as the Romneys are to their kids, that’s what you do.”

Romney’s plans to tear down and rebuilt his home in La Jolla were already underway during his last campaign. But since he lost the 2012 election, Romney has also purchased a six-bedroom home that was listed for $8.9 million in Park City, Utah, and he’s built another 5,900-square-foot home 30 miles away near Salt Lake City.

He still has his New Hampshire vacation home on Lake Winnipesaukee, but last year sold his condominium in Belmont for $1.2 million, cutting his remaining ties to Massachusetts and raising questions about whether his 2016 campaign would again be headquartered in Boston.

“During the campaign neither Ann nor I had any time to think about home projects,” Romney said in an interview a year after the 2012 election. “But now that the campaign is over, we have a little more time.”

The new home in California includes an infamous “car elevator,” first reported in 2012 by Politico and used by Romney’s opponents to cast him as out of touch. A May 2013 planning document described it this way: “The proposed garage will have the appearance of a two-car garage, but will include a lift inside that will rotate two cars below grade to the basement area.”

Building the home was the culmination of a long battle, which at times became heated with neighbors who said Romney’s new home — much larger than his former one — was out of character with the neighborhood. Some neighbors also complained that he was incorporating square footage from a beach long believed to be public in order to build a larger home. Romney’s home is on a street where houses are clumped together on small lots, with cherished views of the Pacific Ocean.

“It was contentious,” said Anthony A. Ciani, a local architect and the chief opponent of Romney’s expansion. “The issue was the bulk of it compared to the houses right next to it. It’s not compatible with the gingerbread houses that are immediately adjacent. It’s two, three times bigger than those.”

A group of neighbors appealed to the state, but local and state officials ruled in the Romneys’ favor, a process followed by the Los Angeles Times. Their former 3,000-square-foot home has been demolished — except for a swimming pool and spa — and a new one is under construction.

Planning documents call for a first floor that includes a library, and a large combined living room and dining room. The basement includes an exercise room, recreation room, and a room to hold the beach gear. Outside there will be a wraparound porch, as well as several palm trees, and a mixture of shrubs — boxwoods, coffeeberry, and California blue sage — to cover the property.

The work is expected to be completed by the end of the year, although it is unclear whether the Romneys will move in or find a buyer.

“Mitt and Ann’s plans are firm,” Matthew Peterson, the Romneys’ San Diego-based attorney, said in an e-mail. “They will be completing the construction of the home by the end of the year, but no decision has been made at this time whether to keep it, or sell it.”

He said that the home has been shown to potential buyers already, but “it is the Romneys’ expectation that if the home were to be sold, it would best be sold after it is completed.”

Romney’s wealth defined him in 2012, with a mixture of inadvertent comments, a reluctance to talk about his successful business career, and a video showing him disparaging 47 percent of Americans who rely on government assistance.

In a Washington Post-ABC News poll taken shortly before the 2012 election, 53 percent of likely voters said that Romney’s policies would favor the wealthy, with only 34 percent saying he would favor the middle class. Romney often seemed more comfortable talking with donors than he did in diners.

But those close to Romney have long described him as far more frugal than the caricature of him suggests. He frequently flies in coach, carrying his own bags. He repairs winter gloves with duct tape, refuses to spend money on apps for his iPad, and has a go-to meal that consists of a home-made peanut butter and honey sandwich.

Romney is donating his $50,000 honorarium from Wednesday’s speech to charity, a contrast with Hillary Rodham Clinton, who collects fees that are five times higher. Clinton, too, has struggled in talking about her wealth, saying she was once “dead broke” while in her $5 million home.

“It’s going to be hard for Hillary Clinton to make Mitt Romney’s wealth a fruitful line of attack, with her multimillion dollar mansions in Georgetown and Chappaqua and her jet-setting lifestyle of the rich and famous,” said a Romney aide, who declined to be identified.

But even if he is modest in some of his personal spending decisions, one area Romneydoes splurge on is real estate. His properties are all close to where his five sons are living. Every summer, they all gather at the home in Wolfeboro, N.H., and they spent last Christmas at the home in Deer Valley, where the massive stone fireplace was large enough to hold stockings for nearly two dozen grandchildren.

In August 2013, a holding company managed by Ann Romney purchased the home in Park City that had been listed at $8.9 million. The 8,730 square-foot home — which has six bedrooms, eight bathrooms, an outdoor hot tub and a sauna — was once featured in Architectural Digest, showcasing blond wood, two-story windows, and a chandelier made from antlers.

A Romney aide said that he co-owned the home with L.E. Simmons, a prominent Romney donor who runs a Houston-based private equity firm.

The Romneys also bought property in Holladay, Utah, where they tore down a smaller home and built a 5,900-square-foot house that features a fountain, terraces, a gazebo, a fire pit, and a spa, according to plans reviewed by the Salt Lake Tribune.

The plans also called for a hidden room, an 11-foot-long area masked by a bookshelf that swings open. But Romney told the Globe that it was much less mysterious than initial news reports suggested.

“It’s a closet where we plan on keeping the copying machine, and the printer, and paper,” he said, laughing. “Not even a lock on the door. It’s hardly a secret room.”

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #415 on: January 28, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
Murdoch has been around forever.  He's very wise.  He knows people don't like mitt, and he watched mitt lose to a VERY beatable, tired and unpopular obama in 2012.

I have to wonder how many elections romney has to blow before his kneepadding supporters here give up on him.  I mean, 2020 rolls around and "oh, this one is TOTALLY mitt's after the great race he ran to lose in 2016..."

Seriously.

I think even Obama was surprised at his margin of victory over Mitt

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #416 on: January 28, 2015, 09:07:16 AM »
I think even Obama was surprised at his margin of victory over Mitt

mitt was leading polls after winning that first debate handily against a tired, weak obama. 

then he had to go open his mouth and motivate the 47% of voters that didn't care about obama at that point.  big mistake there.  That little "I'm not concerned with that 47% of people..." turned the tide. 

Anyway, only a half-liberal would support Mitt, because he's half liberal on many current positions. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #417 on: January 28, 2015, 10:59:38 AM »
mitt was leading polls after winning that first debate handily against a tired, weak obama. 

then he had to go open his mouth and motivate the 47% of voters that didn't care about obama at that point.  big mistake there.  That little "I'm not concerned with that 47% of people..." turned the tide. 

Anyway, only a half-liberal would support Mitt, because he's half liberal on many current positions. 

I give Biden some credit because after that first debate when Obama got served by Romney, Biden stiopped the bleeding by winning his debate....had Biden looked bad as well, it would have been doom for Obama going into the second debate....in that fiorst debate, Obama was so tight he looked constipated

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #418 on: January 28, 2015, 11:30:23 AM »
I give Biden some credit because after that first debate when Obama got served by Romney, Biden stiopped the bleeding by winning his debate....had Biden looked bad as well, it would have been doom for Obama going into the second debate....in that fiorst debate, Obama was so tight he looked constipated

I was shocked to see Paul Ryan get quiet, dribble his water, and just put his eyes down as drunk Uncle Joe just yelled and ranted and quoted all over him.

IMO, IF Paul Ryan had been able to take control of that debate - then maybe mitt wins that election.  Imagine a Jeb or a Ron Paul in that room with Drunk uncle Joe yelling - no way they let him pull that bullshit.  Paul Ryan just showed he didn't have balls or the killer instinct. sometimes you have to be a badass, show the nation you are tough.  As smart as Ryan is... nobody sees him as tough, sorry.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #419 on: January 28, 2015, 12:48:42 PM »
I was shocked to see Paul Ryan get quiet, dribble his water, and just put his eyes down as drunk Uncle Joe just yelled and ranted and quoted all over him.

IMO, IF Paul Ryan had been able to take control of that debate - then maybe mitt wins that election.  Imagine a Jeb or a Ron Paul in that room with Drunk uncle Joe yelling - no way they let him pull that bullshit.  Paul Ryan just showed he didn't have balls or the killer instinct. sometimes you have to be a badass, show the nation you are tough.  As smart as Ryan is... nobody sees him as tough, sorry.

Romney won the first debate by lying on every issue and Obama didnt call him on it.

Biden called Ryan on his BS and Ryan had no plan B.

By the way for anyone who says MSNBC is at the same level as FOX look at how they reacted to the first debate. MSNBC has a lot more credibility than FOX.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #420 on: January 28, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »
Romney won the first debate by lying on every issue and Obama didnt call him on it.

Biden called Ryan on his BS and Ryan had no plan B.

By the way for anyone who says MSNBC is at the same level as FOX look at how they reacted to the first debate. MSNBC has a lot more credibility than FOX.

Oh I definitely agree with you....Biden did a good job and may have saved Obama's presidency with his debate performance...I agree with your comment on MSNBC as well.....yes they are partisan but no where near the overt homerism of FOX

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #421 on: January 28, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »

Uncle Joe used every debate trick in the book.....he spoke over his opponent (as if what Ryan was saying didn't matter)...interrupted him and corrected him with factual information,,,,smiled the entire debate and openly laughed and shook his head "no" at some of Ryan's comments thus giving the impression he was mocking his untruthfulness....I was very entertained...Biden also had a smug look on his face which signaled "I know everything kid, you don't" ...and was dismissive of Ryan

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #422 on: January 28, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
Uncle Joe used every debate trick in the book.....he spoke over his opponent (as if what Ryan was saying didn't matter)...interrupted him and corrected him with factual information,,,,smiled the entire debate and openly laughed and shook his head "no" at some of Ryan's comments thus giving the impression he was mocking his untruthfulness....I was very entertained...Biden also had a smug look on his face which signaled "I know everything kid, you don't" ...and was dismissive of Ryan

a lot of viewers that didn't know much about the issues just saw a powerful laughing man, and an intimidated weaker man.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #423 on: January 28, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »
a lot of viewers that didn't know much about the issues just saw a powerful laughing man, and an intimidated weaker man.

yep...by the way...I really think Uncle Joe's wife is still really HOIT for her age..I get turned on when she's on TV

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #424 on: January 28, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »
Mitt Romney, signaling a hunger to step back into ring, attacks Hillary Clinton
By Philip Rucker

STARKVILLE, Miss. — Signaling a hunger to step back into the ring, Mitt Romney took aim at Hillary Rodham Clinton in a speech here Wednesday and predicted that a nation he sees as in decline could turn a corner “with the right kind of leadership.”

Romney, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee who is actively exploring a third White House run, made clear that his prospective 2016 bid would focus squarely on foreign affairs and poverty — and that Clinton, the heavy favorite for the Democratic nomination, was in his sights.

Declaring that the country must restore economic opportunity for the middle class, Romney said, “How can Secretary Clinton provide opportunity for all if she doesn’t know where the jobs come from in the first place?”

He went on to attack the former secretary of state on foreign affairs, calling her record in the Obama administration “timid” and saying that she “cluelessly pressed a reset button for Russia, which smiled and then invaded Ukraine, a sovereign nation. The Middle East and much of North Africa is in chaos.”

Adrienne Elrod, spokeswoman for Correct the Record, a pro-Clinton group, responded by saying “Mitt Romney’s reckless, inaccurate attacks against Hillary Clinton are laughable.”

Romney’s evening speech to about 1,000 students and faculty at Mississippi State University comes as he and his political team are preparing for a potential 2016 run. He shied away from revealing his current thinking or outlining any plans. When pressed on what he would do differently this time from his last campaign, Romney told his questioner, former lieutenant governor Amy Tuck, “That’s another question I won’t answer.”

Romney did, however, offer thoughts on how the Republican Party and its eventual nominee could be more successful. He said the party’s leaders must close the “gap in communications” with American electorate, especially minorities and young people — and not only in the general election, but throughout the primaries as well. He argued that Republican ideas are better for working-class people than Democratic policies, but that the GOP doesn’t deliver that message effectively.

“The reason I’m Republican is because I want to help the poor, the middle class,” Romney said. “The rich in America, by the way, are fine.”

Romney said that President Lyndon B. Johnson’s War on Poverty in the 1960s “came from a good heart . . . but I’m afraid the policies weren’t as good as the heart.” But Romney extended some blame to his own party as well.

“Republicans and Democrats have not taken action to actually do the things necessary to restore opportunity in America and make sure the American dream is alive for all Americans,” he said.

Romney sounded a call for conservative solutions to “get people out of poverty forever,” yet he only offered a few broad ideas. One of his proposals was to incentivize “the permanent commitment of marriage” for young people. He cited a study from the Brookings Institution showing that single people have a much higher likelihood of falling into poverty than those who are married.

Throughout his visit to Mississippi, Romney was haunted, if indirectly, by thoughts about his 2012 loss. Eating a pulled pork sandwich at The Little Dooey, a local barbecue joint, Romney asked Mississippi State football coach Dan Mullen about leadership and adversity.

What can you do, the politician asked the coach, to motivate a team after a bruising defeat? How do you help people improve upon their weaknesses?

Then Romney talked politics, telling Mullen, “It’d be nice if people who run for office — that their leadership experience and what they’ve accomplished in life would be a bigger part of what people focus on, but it’s not. It’s mostly what you say.”

Romney has told friends he is determined to run as a more authentic candidate in 2016 than he did in 2012, when he often came across as stilted and overly scripted. On Wednesday night, he seemed unusually comfortable on stage, cracking jokes, some of them self-deprecating, that had his audience in stitches.

Recalling advice he received on the campaign trail in 2012, Romney said that one man told him to “stop shaving and grow stubble to become more sexy.” Then he deadpanned: “As if I needed that!” He also recalled that after getting a massage at a Marriott hotel in San Francisco, the masseuse told his aide: “Mr. Romney has strong legs. He’s a dancer, is he not?”

Later, Romney joked that he’s not thinking of running for president again because of the promise of lucrative speaking fees he could receive after leaving office. “As you’ve no doubt heard,” he said, “I’m already rich.”