Author Topic: Life after defeat for Mitt Romney  (Read 74168 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Mitt Romney... Again?
« Reply #450 on: January 31, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
NY Times headline:

Mitt Quits. Again. Probably.  Maybe.  You know... let's wait until Monday see what happens....

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #451 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:53 PM »
I'd come around with Romney, honestly. That Murdoch is against him (see above), and that Ann is his main source of direction, made him seem less like a suspect than the others from either party.

It will be the height of stupidity to see Bush "vs." Clinton, won't it? Can you believe what a bunch of idiots we are, to have gotten ourselves in this situation?

I am not sure just how we got ourselves into this situation, as you say. What exactly has the American public done to deserve the political candidates we have running for office these days? Can you elaborate on this for me?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #452 on: January 31, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
I am not sure just how we got ourselves into this situation, as you say. What exactly has the American public done to deserve the political candidates we have running for office these days? Can you elaborate on this for me?

In Hilary's case - the morons on the left still defend her lies on benghazi. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #453 on: January 31, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »

How is John Kerry doing as Secretary of State?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #454 on: January 31, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »
How is John Kerry doing as Secretary of State?

He sucks

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #455 on: January 31, 2015, 05:35:05 PM »

That's funny......the Republicans have cleared the administration and said there was no coverup....I guess the Republicans agree with Hillary

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #456 on: January 31, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
That's funny......the Republicans have cleared the administration and said there was no coverup....I guess the Republicans agree with Hillary

False

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #457 on: February 02, 2015, 05:04:24 PM »
Mitt’s White Horse Pulls Up Lame
by Maureen Dowd

SALT LAKE CITY — WHEN the Mitt Romney documentary premiered here at the Sundance Film Festival last year, one member of the audience was especially charmed by the candidate up on the screen.

That guy is great, Mitt Romney thought to himself. That guy should be running for president.

It was an “Aha” moment that came to him belatedly at age 66, after two failed presidential runs that cost more than $1 billion.

Mitt had a revelation that he should have run his races as Mitt — with all the goofiness, Mormonism, self-doubt and self-mockery thrown into the crazy salad.

Some of his strategists had argued against the movie. But wasn’t it endearing, when the tuxedo-clad Romney ironed his own French cuffs while they were on his wrists? When he listened to “This American Life” on NPR with his family? When he wryly called himself a “flippin’ Mormon”? When he and Ann prayed on their knees just before the New Hampshire primary? When he went sledding with his grandkids?

He was himself as a moderate Massachusetts governor. But when he ran for president in 2008, he was “severely conservative,” as he would later awkwardly brag, and that wasn’t him.

In 2012, he was closer but still not truly himself, putting his faith and centrist record off to the side. He had surrounded himself with Stuart Stevens and other advisers who did not have faith that the unplugged Mitt could win, and the candidate did not have enough faith in himself to push back against them.

“It’s a sad story of discovery,” said a Republican who is friends with him. “He kept going through campaigns and evolving closer to himself. Then he saw the documentary and it was liberating, showing 100 percent of himself instead of 80. But it was too late. You don’t really get three shots.”

Romney got bollixed up by dueling fears that the unkind arena would rage at him if he put up his guard and rage at him if he dropped it. He was haunted by the collapse of his father’s 1968 campaign for president after his father dropped his guard, telling a Detroit TV broadcaster that he thought he had been brainwashed into supporting the Vietnam War by American commanders and diplomats there.

But after Romney saw the documentary “Mitt” — by Mormon filmmaker Greg Whiteley — and felt that he could be Mitt “all the way,” as one friend put it, he was ready to run “a hell of a race.”

Mormons learn firsthand that rejection — as the young Mitt learned in Paris on his mission when he got less than 20 converts in two-and-a-half years — doesn’t mean you should stop trying.

Recent polls had Romney ahead of Jeb Bush and other Republican contenders. He was more in demand on the trail than President Obama during the 2014 campaign. He had shied away in 2012 from explaining the role of faith in his life, worried that Mormonism might still sound strange to voters if he had to explain lore like the white horse prophecy, that a Mormon white knight would ride in to save the U.S. as the Constitution was hanging by a thread.

But, in the last few weeks, Romney had seemed eager to take a Mormon mulligan. Less sensitive about his great-grandparents fleeing to Mexico to preserve their right to polygamy, Romney began joking to audiences that when he learned about the church at Brigham Young University, “Emma was Joseph Smith’s only wife.”

It was foolish to ever think he could take his religion — which is baked into every part of his life — and cordon it off.

In Park City Wednesday, I talked to Jon Krakauer, the author of “Under the Banner of Heaven,” a history of Mormonism, and executive producer of “Prophet’s Prey,” a Showtime documentary, which was premiering at Sundance, about the most infamous Mormon polygamous cult.

“I don’t think he has a choice,” Krakauer said. “I don’t know how people will react, but he has nothing to be ashamed with, with his faith. And by not talking about it, it looks like he does.”

It was the same mistake Al Gore made in 2000 when he listened to advisers who told him he would seem too tree-huggy if he talked about the environment. When that was off-limits, Gore lost the issue he was least likely to be wooden on; it was the one topic that made him passionate — not to mention prescient.

If Mitt was 100 percent himself, he began to think this time, he could move past the debacles of his 47 percent comment caught on tape and his cringe-worthy 13 percent tax rate — both of which had made him seem like the pitiless plutocrat conjured by Democrats.

Two weeks ago, at a Republican meeting in San Diego, Romney talked about his decade as a Mormon bishop and stake president, working “with people who are very poor to get them help and subsistence,” finding them jobs and tending to the sick and elderly.

He changed his residency to Utah and started building a house in a wealthy suburb of Salt Lake City. He got a broker for the luxe La Jolla oceanfront home with the four-car elevator.

It was reported that a 2016 Romney campaign could be based here. Romney had been burning up the phone lines with donors and past operatives and was reassembling his old campaign team. But Jeb Bush popped Mitt’s trial balloon by peeling off the money and the talent.

“He thought there was more interest than there was,” one strategist close to Romney said. “There wasn’t a big groundswell. The donor-activist-warlord bubble had moved on. It’s a tough world. Mitt didn’t want to claw and slug.”

Or as his 2008 presidential campaign adviser Alex Castellanos put it, “Mitt Romney found he had walked out on stage without his pants.”

At an appearance Wednesday in Mississippi, where he seemed to be honing talking points and attack lines for a possible run, he said Hillary Clinton had “cluelessly” pushed the reset button with Russia.

He blamed the news media and voters for concentrating on the wrong things. “It would be nice if people who run for office, that their leadership experience, what they’ve accomplished in life, would be a bigger part of what people are focused on, but it’s not,” he said. “Mostly it’s what you say — and what you do is a lot more important than just what you say.”

But both in what he said and did, Romney came across as clueless in 2012. He was hawking himself as a great manager, but he couldn’t even manage his campaign. His own advisers did not trust him to be himself. They did not adapt what the Obama team had taught everyone in 2008 about technologically revolutionizing campaigns. His own campaign was in need of a Bain-style turnaround and he was oblivious.

The reel Mitt could have told the real Mitt, as Romney said in the documentary, that the nominee who loses the general election is “a loser for life.”

He seemed shocked, the night of the election, to learn that his White Horse was lame. But how could he have won? The wrong Mitt was running.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #458 on: February 02, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #459 on: February 03, 2015, 06:25:30 AM »
Link or shut up.

I think its gonna be shut up :D

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #460 on: February 03, 2015, 07:01:39 AM »
I think its gonna be shut up :D

Doom is amused.

This is such a humiliating loss: swatted down by your own party before the primary race even begins.  What is your favorite Mitt quote?

"binders of women"
"the trees are the right height"
"I’m not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said whatever it was"
"corporations are people, my friend"
"the nominee who loses the general election is 'a loser for life.'"
"Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax... My job is not to worry about those people."
"I'm not concerned about the very poor"
"severely conservative"

Bah ha ha ha ha ha

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #461 on: February 03, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »

If we didn't get ourselves into the situation: who did?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #462 on: February 03, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
Doom is amused.

This is such a humiliating loss: swatted down by your own party before the primary race even begins.  What is your favorite Mitt quote?

"binders of women"
"the trees are the right height"
"I’m not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said whatever it was"
"corporations are people, my friend"
"the nominee who loses the general election is 'a loser for life.'"
"Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax... My job is not to worry about those people."
"I'm not concerned about the very poor"
"severely conservative"
Bah ha ha ha ha ha

I loved you in Marvel vs Capcom2 Dr.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #463 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »
I loved you in Marvel vs Capcom2 Dr.

As opposed to that gay muslim twinkletoes pos Obama right? 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #464 on: February 03, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
As opposed to that gay muslim twinkletoes pos Obama right? 

Im pretty sure there were no such character in that game.

Is everything Obama to you?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #465 on: February 03, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
Mitt had the heart, but not the guts
Romney could not face the presidential meat grinder.
By Roger Simon

Mitt Romney has done a lasting service to America. By returning once again to the dustbin of history, he leaves behind a powerful message for future generations:

When the going gets tough, the tough fold up.

On Jan. 9, Romney told his base — fat cats, plutocrats, magnates, moguls and tycoons — that he was considering a run for president in 2016. Who else, after all, had the knowledge and experience to best protect the interests of fat cats, plutocrats, magnates, moguls and tycoons?

Romney then did what any canny businessmen would do: He assembled a group of people to tell him what he wanted to hear.

He brought together much of the same coterie he had when he ran for president in 2012. This was his innermost clique, his band of brothers, his ring-kissers.

He asked them a few questions.

Could they raise oodles and oodles of money for him? He wanted to know.

Romney has oodles and oodles of his own money. But if there is one rule of modern campaigning, it is this: When other people are daffy enough to give you their money, there is no reason to risk your own money.

The ring-kissers answered quickly. They could raises tons of money. No worries. The nation was full of rich saps.

But, Mitt asked, could the campaign coterie make Mitt warm and likable? He had read all these stories the last time he ran that he was inauthentic. Was there any way he could fake some sincerity for 2016?

Not to worry, the coterie said. They would have Mitt mingle with the hoi polloi and find out how the 99 percent live. So Mitt went down to Mississippi State University last Wednesday.

He gave a speech saying ending poverty was a real goal of his and then stopped at the Little Dooey barbecue joint for a pulled pork sandwich. He even gave every indication he actually knew what a pulled pork sandwich is.

During his visit he poked fun at Hillary Clinton, saying that he didn’t care about massive speaking fees. “As you may have heard,” he said, “I’m already rich.”

His coterie was delighted. Romney really seemed to get it. There would be a new Romney for 2016, a Romney 3.0, who would be warm, caring and authentic, whenever such emotions needed to be feigned.

Romney led in the polls. Though not everybody was convinced. I, for one, have a simple rule about polls: When I disagree with what the polls are saying, the polls are wrong.

Which is why on Jan. 14, I tweeted: “There is no significant constituency within the GOP that thinks Romney is the solution and not the problem.”

I believed it then, and I believe it now. The right wing thought he was a phony. The religious right thought he was a phony. The establishment wing of the party — a doddering handful of survivors with checkbooks and defibrillators — preferred Jeb Bush and his blue-blood credentials.

Who really liked Mitt Romney? Which was to ask: Who really liked a loser?

Romney believed in himself, but he wanted a guarantee that he was going to win. And his coterie could not deliver that.

Yes, his inner circle said, they could raise money and he would probably win the nomination. But he would get roughed up and might lose to Hillary Clinton.

According to The New York Times, Romney’s longtime finance chief, Spencer Zwick, told him: “Even if he prevailed in a primary, he would be battered and bruised by the general election.”

Tagg Romney, Romney’s eldest son, said: “He decided he could be the nominee. The fear was that in order to get there it was going to be so hard-fought that he could not emerge from a position of strength.”

A Romney adviser said: “We thought it was possible. But it would be hard. The polls had him up. That was residual name ID. But he can’t carry that for a year. It would have been a fight.”

So Romney decided not to fight. Kevin Madden, a former Romney adviser, said that, ultimately, it was a question of the head versus the heart.

Madden is a very smart guy and I respect him, but I think he’s got his anatomy wrong. Ultimately, Romney lacked not heart, but guts.

Running for president is a grueling test, a meat grinder. And why shouldn’t it be? The presidency is a tough job, and it demands a tough test to weed out those without the stamina and strength to perform in it.

So 21 days after sticking his toe in the water, Romney withdrew it.

“I am convinced that we could win the nomination,” he told supporters in a conference call, “but fully realize it would have been a difficult test and a hard fight.”

He got some credit from Republicans for dropping out. But some Democrats crowed. “Congratulations to Mitt Romney for finally saying something the American people want to hear,” John Dingell, a former congressman from Michigan, tweeted.

Mitt Romney made the right decision. Why should he want difficult tests and hard fights?

Running for president is a trial by combat. You can’t get there by riding in a car elevator.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #466 on: February 03, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »
If we didn't get ourselves into the situation: who did?

Classic response. I asked a question which you didn't answer, instead posing another question. Answer my question and then we can move on to what or who got us into this mess, if that is in fact what it is.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #467 on: February 04, 2015, 05:40:20 PM »

Classic response. I asked a question which you didn't answer, instead posing another question. Answer my question and then we can move on to what or who got us into this mess, if that is in fact what it is.

Prime, if you're going to make a statement to suggest that something other than ourselves may be responsible for our situation (as you did), then you need to explain.

Your question doesn't make sense, otherwise.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #468 on: February 04, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »
Prime, if you're going to make a statement to suggest that something other than ourselves may be responsible for our situation (as you did), then you need to explain.

Your question doesn't make sense, otherwise.

It is only our situation if we own it. I don't.

I know what I am responsible for and I am not responsible for the quality of political candidates currently put before the voters. I personally have done nothing to support such a situation.

In the most recent election in Oregon, I felt there were a couple of offices where there was no candidate that deserved my vote. One was our Governor who was running for reelection and who I had voted for in the past. During the last legislative session, he turned his back on his supporters and his promises. Unfortunately, there were no other better candidates to vote for. I cast a non-vote by writing in my own name.

I did not create a system where we are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to political candidates. It is frustrating to realize there are no viable candidates running for office. I don't have a solution to this. I don't have an answer. What I am asking is this, does anyone else know how we can fix a system that has been broken for a long time?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #469 on: February 04, 2015, 10:59:39 PM »
It is only our situation if we own it. I don't.

I know what I am responsible for and I am not responsible for the quality of political candidates currently put before the voters. I personally have done nothing to support such a situation.

In the most recent election in Oregon, I felt there were a couple of offices where there was no candidate that deserved my vote. One was our Governor who was running for reelection and who I had voted for in the past. During the last legislative session, he turned his back on his supporters and his promises. Unfortunately, there were no other better candidates to vote for. I cast a non-vote by writing in my own name.

I did not create a system where we are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to political candidates. It is frustrating to realize there are no viable candidates running for office. I don't have a solution to this. I don't have an answer. What I am asking is this, does anyone else know how we can fix a system that has been broken for a long time?

What does your experience in this life tell you, Prime? I'd really like to know what you think, if you're the age you claim to be. (not doubting you, necessarily) What things have changed, to alter the political process toward what we're faced with in 2015-16, etc.?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #470 on: February 05, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
What does your experience in this life tell you, Prime? I'd really like to know what you think, if you're the age you claim to be. (not doubting you, necessarily) What things have changed, to alter the political process toward what we're faced with in 2015-16, etc.?

I think for me it has been a long process. When I was in my 20's and 30's politics barely interested me. I suspect I imagined our elected officials would take care of everything. I was very naive, obviously.

BTW, I am the age I claim to be although I can understand why someone might question this because I still can be very immature acting at times. LOL

Sometime during my late 30's and onward, I became a union activist. Along with this, I started getting more politically involved. The leadership at the union I associated with saw potential in my ability to speak from the heart with politicians regarding issues which concerned the folks I represented.

Over the last several decades, I lobbied in D.C. and at the state level many times. What this experience taught me is that most of the folks we elect to represent us are just like ourselves. There is nothing special about them other than their willingness to step up and sometime that enormous ego that motivates them to do so.

When I converse with Senators, Representative and even the President, I speak with them on a fairly equal level now. When I was young, I might have been awestruck. I am so over this now. They've lost whatever celebrity status they had in my mind as I have gotten to know them on a one-on-one basis.

Having said this, I don't want to give the impression that I have some manner of inside track to these folks. I'm just a regular citizen, like the rest of the folks in this country. You'd be surprised at how accessible our politicians are when all is said and done.

I worry that I've become somewhat jaded as I've matured. Some politicians do and say things which worry me because they seem so ignorant. I also worry that the financial benefits of being an elected official have clouded a lot of politicians viewpoints. I worry that we are not being well represented and I am concerned that there is no easy way to resolve this. The election process today is complex and getting elected is very expensive. Without the support of a heck of a lot of people and/or from corporate American (including foreign interests) no one could get elected. High principals and the desire to improve things is simply not going to cut it anymore, unfortunately.

Sorry for the windy reply, but this is not a topic that should be taken lightly....although I am a great believer in humor.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #471 on: February 06, 2015, 04:37:06 AM »
Let’s Find Mitt Romney a New Job
By Margaret Hartmann

In the last week there's been a flurry of speculation about how Mitt Romney's decision not to make a third run at the presidency affects the other 2016 candidates, but what about the man who 47 percent of Americans wanted to lead the country in 2012? Romney is intelligent, energetic, experienced, and still possesses a driving need to shape the future of our country. You won't find binders full of candidates like that, which is why some Americans have been suggesting new career paths for Romney. (Plus, in a statement posted minutes after Romney's announcement, Jeb Bush said, "Mitt is a patriot and I join many in hoping his days of serving our nation and our party are not over," which seems fishy.) If Romney still wants to get back into politics, these are the jobs he should be applying for.

Vice President of the United States
Qualifications: Losing by a few percentage points is kind of like being a "heartbeat away" from the presidency. Plus, he's already a well-known character in The Onion.
Signs He'll Get the Job: Romney met privately with Jeb Bush, his biggest competition for the GOP establishment vote, just a week before he made his announcement. This prompted speculation that the two made a deal, and Glenn Beck had an idea of what that might be. “You run and let the people decide with their votes. And it bothers me a great deal that Jeb Bush clearly went and talked to Mitt Romney," he explained. ” If Jeb Bush wins, there will be a position, you know, vice president Mitt Romney, or treasury secretary Mitt Romney or whatever. There will be a position in the Jeb Bush cabinet for Mitt Romney.”

Secretary of State
Qualifications: Foreign policy was one of the three planks of Romney's short-lived 2016 bid. He was president and CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the 2002 Winter Olympics, and currently heads the annual Romney Olympics. Also, it's less ridiculous than the Republican 2016 presidential nominee balancing the ticket with a Mormon millionaire.
Signs He'll Get the Job: On social media, this was the most popular guess for Bush's theoretical offer to Romney. No one has made a good case for why Romney should get the job, but it seems like the kind of thing that could make someone drop a presidential bid.

Secretary of the Treasury
Qualifications: The former Bain Capital CEO clearly knows his way around the finance industry. Back in 2012, columnists in the Daily News and The Hill suggested Romney should be nominated for the position, but for some reason President Obama didn't want to pull another "team of rivals," as he did with Clinton.
Signs He'll Get the Job: On Friday Charles Krauthammer said during a Fox News panel that Romney's move was good for the GOP because "it removed what was going to be a nasty internecine fight and gave them a future secretary of the Treasury."

Secretary of Health and Human Services
Qualifications: He knows how to put together a universal health care system, and has a lot of ideas for tearing them down as well.
Signs He'll Get the Job: Karen Tumulty of the Washington Post reminded Twitter followers on Friday that she suggested Romney would make a good Health and Human Services secretary ... back in 2009. Six years ago, following a post Tumulty wrote in TIME, Marc Ambinder seconded her idea in The Atlantic. "Like Hillary Clinton, Romney might be willing to trade his political ambition for the chance to do something awesome for the country." You know, or not.

Senator from Massachusetts
Qualifications: Massachusetts voters already elected Romney once, and some suggested he should run for the seat after he lost his first presidential campaign. Senator Elizabeth Warren seems to have a bright future ahead of her, which could mean another vacancy in the coming years.
Signs He'll Get the Job: Romney joked about the position last month, saying, "Let me state unequivocally… that I have no intention of running for U.S. Senate in Massachusetts." If what we've seen in the last two years is any indication, that means he's definitely running.

Politician's Father
Qualifications: Romney still works at Solamere Capital, the investment firm founded by his son Tagg, and as he noted recently, he's "already rich." His best bet for remaining active in politics may be pressuring one of his sons to run for office. It's not hard to picture Romney as a lovable party elder who posts quirky photos on Instagram.
Signs He'll Get the Job: Mitt is the son of a former governor and failed presidential candidate, so Tagg's unsuccessful bid to avenge him in 2036 almost seems inevitable.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #472 on: February 06, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »
I think for me it has been a long process. When I was in my 20's and 30's politics barely interested me. I suspect I imagined our elected officials would take care of everything. I was very naive, obviously.

BTW, I am the age I claim to be although I can understand why someone might question this because I still can be very immature acting at times. LOL

Sometime during my late 30's and onward, I became a union activist. Along with this, I started getting more politically involved. The leadership at the union I associated with saw potential in my ability to speak from the heart with politicians regarding issues which concerned the folks I represented.

Over the last several decades, I lobbied in D.C. and at the state level many times. What this experience taught me is that most of the folks we elect to represent us are just like ourselves. There is nothing special about them other than their willingness to step up and sometime that enormous ego that motivates them to do so.

When I converse with Senators, Representative and even the President, I speak with them on a fairly equal level now. When I was young, I might have been awestruck. I am so over this now. They've lost whatever celebrity status they had in my mind as I have gotten to know them on a one-on-one basis.

Having said this, I don't want to give the impression that I have some manner of inside track to these folks. I'm just a regular citizen, like the rest of the folks in this country. You'd be surprised at how accessible our politicians are when all is said and done.

I worry that I've become somewhat jaded as I've matured. Some politicians do and say things which worry me because they seem so ignorant. I also worry that the financial benefits of being an elected official have clouded a lot of politicians viewpoints. I worry that we are not being well represented and I am concerned that there is no easy way to resolve this. The election process today is complex and getting elected is very expensive. Without the support of a heck of a lot of people and/or from corporate American (including foreign interests) no one could get elected. High principals and the desire to improve things is simply not going to cut it anymore, unfortunately.

Sorry for the windy reply, but this is not a topic that should be taken lightly....although I am a great believer in humor.

What do you mean by this, Prime?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #473 on: February 06, 2015, 11:30:12 AM »
What do you mean by this, Prime?

Converse means to talk. I have met and spoken with my representatives in Congress, the President, Oregon's Governors, Senators and members of the House.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #474 on: February 06, 2015, 11:36:09 AM »
Converse means to talk. I have met and spoken with my representatives in Congress, the President, Oregon's Governors, Senators and members of the House.

You'd said it as though it is a current involvement, in your last post. Is it?