Author Topic: How was Shawn Ray able to do it?  (Read 7776 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
How was Shawn Ray able to do it?
« on: August 19, 2022, 08:09:07 AM »
During the most competitive era of bodybuilding, at 5'7 (that's generous) between 205-212lbs on stage. No guru, no nutritionist, no counting calories, no posing coach, this man ended up having one of the best bodies of all time. Never touched slin (his words), I don't believe he ever touched GH either.

2nd place in Mr. O in 94 and 96. Top 6 in 12 of 13 years he competed.

Incredible when you look back and think about it. We can look back and assassinate his character as he gives us plenty of reasons to but when it comes to the business of bodybuilding there's few that can match or exceed him.

Gotta give respect where it's due.  8)
Btw, what a meal lineup! Look what these guys do today and are miserable.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: How was Shawn Ray able to do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 08:17:01 AM »
During the most competitive era of bodybuilding, at 5'7 (that's generous) between 205-212lbs on stage. No guru, no nutritionist, no counting calories, no posing coach, this man ended up having one of the best bodies of all time. Never touched slin (his words), I don't believe he ever touched GH either.

Incredible when you look back and think about it. We can look back and assassinate his character as he gives us plenty of reasons to but when it comes to the business of bodybuilding there's few that can match or exceed him.

From what I've heard him say, he credits a lot of his early success to taking advice from former Mr. Universe, John Brown. I'm sure he gave him some dietary tips to get him started. Then, Ray figured things out, via trial and error, from there.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 08:23:02 AM »
My favorite bodybuilder of all time. Not afraid to give his true opinions, just like a Getbigger.

Should have at least one Sandow, probably more.

Definition of consistency and longevity.

Do they have an IFBB Hall of Fame? If so, he is a lock.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 08:27:31 AM »
From what I've heard him say, he credits a lot of his early success to taking advice from former Mr. Universe, John Brown. I'm sure he gave him some dietary tips to get him started. Then, Ray figured things out, via trial and error, from there.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 08:29:38 AM »
My favorite bodybuilder of all time. Not afraid to give his true opinions, just like a Getbigger.

Should have at least one Sandow, probably more.

Definition of consistency and longevity.

Do they have an IFBB Hall of Fame? If so, he is a lock.

He should have won in '94 and '96.
To me, he had the best abdominal wall in the history of bodybuilding. Rectus abdominis, serratus anterior and external obliques. Best ever. Also, one of if not the prettiest front double biceps pose ever. Everything just tied in perfectly on his physique.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 08:34:09 AM »

He should have won in '94 and '96.
;D

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 08:34:35 AM »

Saw him in seminar in early 89

He said the reason for his poor showing at the 88 Olympia was because now he was a pro he had to start using drugs and used a bit of Avavar which screwed him up

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 08:38:47 AM »
Shawn right after the 1994 Mr Olympia

Flex magazine January 1995 Shawn Ray

Dorian was a bigger version of what he's been. I'm not a fan in the sense that his physique is something I aspire to attain. Dorian is in his own class and in his own little world. For that reason, there's nobody they can compare like-to-like with Dorian. They can only bring forward a different package.

( 1994 Mr Olympia ) Tonight I feel that I got what I deserved. With a beaming smile , Shawn concluded: " This is the first time in three years I haven't ' retired ' the night of the show and got drunk. "

Shawn knew his place , so should you

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 08:39:38 AM »
Because most bodybuilders are as thick as pigshit

Dieting isnt hard to learn, its hard to do right

Most people can look at a plate and know what they should be eating, unfortunatly most people have no self control

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 08:40:23 AM »
;D

What is this fuzzy still photo supposed to prove? Enlighten me please.

Let's keep things in perspective...
Dorian's atrophied arms, mangled left bicep, bloated ab wall and spilled over obliques make him unworthy of the win. He won only because of conditioning and a big back and calves not because he was a better bodybuilder. Nasser should have placed above him as well. Chew on that.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 08:42:13 AM »
We are in the age where height and mass don't guarantee a victory. It's about the total package.

That's the way it always should have been.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 08:43:47 AM »

Dorian's atrophied arms, mangled left bicep, bloated ab wall and spilled over obliques make him unworthy of the win. He won only because of conditioning and a big back and calves not because he was a better bodybuilder. Nasser should have placed above him as well. Chew on that.

Shawn excellent bodybuilder NOT Mr Olympia caliber maybe back in the early 80s but that ship sailed last Mr Olympia around 200lbs was Samir in 1983 he was simply born in the wrong era , Same with Labrada

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 08:45:17 AM »

Shawn excellent bodybuilder NOT Mr Olympia caliber maybe back in the early 80s but that ship sailed last Mr Olympia around he was simply born in the wrong era , Same with Labrada

he was 186lbs

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 08:46:16 AM »

That's a good video, never saw it, thanks for sharing.

I was at that show live.

Nasser totally challenged from the front, but from the back, it was so lopsided people were laughing in the audience.

Dorian won that show easy.
Y

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 08:55:21 AM »
he was 186lbs

188lbs but you get the point Haney won at 230lbs retired at 249lbs , Yates won at 242lbs , Ronnie 249lbs , the trend was going up.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 08:55:34 AM »
Shawn right after the 1994 Mr Olympia

Flex magazine January 1995 Shawn Ray

Dorian was a bigger version of what he's been. I'm not a fan in the sense that his physique is something I aspire to attain. Dorian is in his own class and in his own little world. For that reason, there's nobody they can compare like-to-like with Dorian. They can only bring forward a different package.

( 1994 Mr Olympia ) Tonight I feel that I got what I deserved. With a beaming smile , Shawn concluded: " This is the first time in three years I haven't ' retired ' the night of the show and got drunk. "

Shawn knew his place , so should you

Yeah, Shawn knew his place...1st place...start at 2:30 :-*

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 08:59:06 AM »
Yeah, Shawn knew his place...1st place...start at 2:30 :-*

Old news, He's living in the past. History is done. He lost and honestly lucky to beat Kevin that year. Facts are facts weather or not you or Shawn can accept them. Shawn lost life moves on , for most of us  ;D

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 09:01:43 AM »

188lbs but you get the point Haney won at 230lbs retired at 249lbs , Yates won at 242lbs , Ronnie 249lbs , the trend was going up.

Haney was in the 250s in 91 and when I provided you proof in his own voice, you said he changed it.  ::)

Dorian outside 92 and 93 was overrated asf. He coasted on conditioning and an incredible back.
Below average biceps
Great triceps
Average chest
Average quads
Incredible calves

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »
Haney was in the 250s in 91 and when I provided you proof in his own voice, you said he changed it.  ::)

Dorian outside 92 and 93 was overrated asf. He coasted on conditioning and an incredible back.
Below average biceps
Great triceps
Average chest
Average quads
Incredible calves

Again he revised his opinion which he's entitled to do. He's living in the past he should let it go he knew he wasn't in Dorian's league and he was bitter the rules didn't bend to him or cater to his type of physique , perhaps they should've , perhaps it would've been better for the sport , what happened, happened, Dorian was an excuse for Shawn failure , So was Ronnie in 1998 . Shawn was rid of the Dorian problem and guess what? He still couldn't make it happen against Ronnie. Shawn had a fantastic physique  being Mr Olympia wasn't in the cards for him. ever.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2022, 10:16:53 AM »
Love him or hate him,Shawn Ray was one of the best ever IMO.

The three or four times I talked to him he was really cool,not like some stories you`ve heard about him.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2022, 10:58:40 AM »
That's a good video, never saw it, thanks for sharing.

I was at that show live.

Nasser totally challenged from the front, but from the back, it was so lopsided people were laughing in the audience.

Dorian won that show easy.

Nasser said in a video he’d train back two times a week. Yikes.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2022, 11:02:20 AM »
genetics > everything else

lesson over

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2022, 11:07:17 AM »

still at it, trained two sons for the NFL
F

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2022, 11:10:05 AM »
woooooooshhhhhhhh

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2022, 12:07:04 PM »