Author Topic: How was Shawn Ray able to do it?  (Read 7780 times)

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Re: How was Shawn Ray able to do it?
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2022, 07:32:47 PM »
This video shows how Yates looked at the 1994 Olympia, from the audience perspective

Thanks for posting! (I got to see Yates a few times. …… was always blown away!/ people could not fathom how Yates looked “ live in the flesh!” 🤘

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2022, 08:05:08 PM »
Careful.

One more than me (actually it was several he won).  Seriously, after he took 4th in his first pro show, the 1989 Night of the Champions (behind Phil Hill-1st, Robby Robinson-2nd and Bob Paris-3rd), he was nice enough to accept a random walk up in the restaurant invitation from complete strangers to eat with us at Beefsteak Charlie's in New York City.  We were just some young knucklehead fans, and he and his brother knew us from Adam but they came and sat down and ate with us after what must have been a crushing loss (but deserved) after just having won the 1987 Nationals the year before (and looking like a god).  For that I give him all the way good dude.

Hate to break it to you, but Shawn is notorious for going out of his way to avoid paying for a meal. Sitting down to eat with random knuckleheads who pick up bill would be right up his street.

nerdoldnerdith

• Getbig II
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2022, 08:08:20 PM »
During the most competitive era of bodybuilding, at 5'7 (that's generous) between 205-212lbs on stage. No guru, no nutritionist, no counting calories, no posing coach, this man ended up having one of the best bodies of all time. Never touched slin (his words), I don't believe he ever touched GH either.

2nd place in Mr. O in 94 and 96. Top 6 in 12 of 13 years he competed.

Incredible when you look back and think about it. We can look back and assassinate his character as he gives us plenty of reasons to but when it comes to the business of bodybuilding there's few that can match or exceed him.

Gotta give respect where it's due.  8)
Btw, what a meal lineup! Look what these guys do today and are miserable.

Having an IQ over 85

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2022, 08:14:15 PM »
During the most competitive era of bodybuilding, at 5'7 (that's generous) between 205-212lbs on stage. No guru, no nutritionist, no counting calories, no posing coach, this man ended up having one of the best bodies of all time. Never touched slin (his words), I don't believe he ever touched GH either.

Incredible when you look back and think about it. We can look back and assassinate his character as he gives us plenty of reasons to but when it comes to the business of bodybuilding there's few that can match or exceed him.

That's at a fancy restaurant. Under normal circumstances, his meals probably looked more like those of this man (though not quite the same volume).

SGT BARNES

• Getbig IV
  • crush your enemies, see them driven before you
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2022, 08:24:55 PM »
how did shawn do it??

drugs, good genetics, lifted weights

I thought this shit was understood here by now....but then again there are still asshats here who believe HIT was a real thing... so there it is I guess

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2022, 09:59:30 PM »
Hate to break it to you, but Shawn is notorious for going out of his way to avoid paying for a meal. Sitting down to eat with random knuckleheads who pick up bill would be right up his street.

Sure, I know that, but it wasn't just him, it was his older brother (a civilian) there also.  And he was far from a dick or full of himself, he was very nice, the both of them, and he was just up onstage like an hour or so earlier.  He literally won the overall at the Nationals the prior year and was in all the magazines.  And he talked about stuff with us he certainly did not have to.  The price of a meal was easily worth it, but it wasn't even my money, it was the money of these two New Jersey dudes we just met at the resturant also. They were themselves too intimidated to go up and ask Shawn to come over, and I said hell I'll do it. 

I've seen standoffish, arrogant, self-centered high level bodybuilders plenty of times.  Flex seemed like that, as did Gaspari (and why wouldn't they act like that, they are the elite of the elite).

That wasn't Shawn (or his brother), not that night.     

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2022, 10:16:02 PM »
Sure, I know that, but it wasn't just him, it was his older brother (a civilian) there also.  And he was far from a dick or full of himself, he was very nice, the both of them, and he was just up onstage like an hour or so earlier.  He literally won the overall at the Nationals the prior year and was in all the magazines.  And he talked about stuff with us he certainly did not have to.  The price of a meal was easily worth it, but it wasn't even my money, it was the money of these two New Jersey dudes we just met at the resturant also. They were themselves too intimidated to go up and ask Shawn to come over, and I said hell I'll do it. 

I've seen standoffish, arrogant, self-centered high level bodybuilders plenty of times.  Flex seemed like that, as did Gaspari (and why wouldn't they act like that, they are the elite of the elite).

That wasn't Shawn (or his brother), not that night.   

Shawn Ray gave me a free review copy of his Fitness After 40 DVD at the 2007 Arnold Classic expo. He was also cool to me.

But in the end, for as good as he looked, he Never1AnO.

He very well may have, had he been willing to push his physique 20-lb up with more drugs and calories. But Shawn didn't want to. He was like Bob Paris, in that he had a look that he preferred, even if it cost him slightly in the placings.

And I respect Shawn for that. Now at, what, almost 57, he's much healthier than other bodybuilders of his era. Heck - just being alive at all is proof of that.

pamith

• Getbig V

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2022, 10:28:53 PM »
woooooooshhhhhhhh

Why are we so obsessed with bodybuilding? Srs question

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2022, 10:42:10 PM »
Why are we so obsessed with bodybuilding? Srs question

It's because there is something magical about the human physique.  Amazingly captivating on a biological level.

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2022, 11:33:36 PM »
Shawn got punked. Once he wasn't safe behind a computer or a microphone he had nothing outlandish to say.

He really didnt say anything "outlandish" about Rodan.
Plus, one cant talk w/ out a juicehead acting all school-yard, puffed chest, wanting to fight (like a 12 yr old)?

Very bizarre behavior on Gal Lisaternino   ::)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2022, 12:40:55 AM »
not a fan, very good but overrated

looks great in some poses like abs/thighs and back double bicep, looks small and narrow in every other pose

always thought he looked out of place in the final pose down, too small and stumpy next to those specimens

he thinks his mouth cost him the title, i think his mouth got him higher placings than he deserved

also not overly impressed by his olympia record when you consider he only competed at the olympia, while most of the others competed year round which made it easier for him to peak at the olympia

as for his personality, i like his honesty and blunt points when talking about the sport, but when 9 out of 10 people have nothing but bad things to say it probably means he's not a good guy

E
E

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2022, 03:21:32 PM »
Shawn was robbed in 1994.

No doubt about it.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2022, 03:39:49 PM »
Shawn was robbed in 1994.

No doubt about it.

Do you realize that Shawn was BEHIND Kevin after the prejudging. He was actually lucky he placed second in this show. Because 99 times out of a 100 your placing after the prejudging was your placing period.

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2022, 03:57:05 PM »
I have that Muscle & Fitness.

Bob Wolff wrote the contest article.

He, like Peter McGough, often had his head three quarters up Dorian's butt.

Wolff was the one who wrote his book Blood and Guts for him.

And even he said that Shawn Ray, and I quote: "should have flown home with the Sandow."

And if you're close enough, you can pass someone in rounds three and four (individual pose and posedown).

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2022, 04:04:55 PM »
I have that Muscle & Fitness.

Bob Wolff wrote the contest article.

He, like Peter McGough, often had his head three quarters up Dorian's butt.

Wolff was the one who wrote his book Blood and Guts for him.

And even he said that Shawn Ray, and I quote: "should have flown home with the Sandow."

And if you're close enough, you can pass someone in rounds three and four (individual pose and posedown).

It was Flex Magazine and Shawn wasn't close to Dorian , He was close to Kevin. Shawn Promised to beat Haney , he couldn't , promised to beat Dorian , he couldn't thought he should've beat Ronnie in 1998 , He's fucking delusional. Look when competing you have to believe you can beat anyone but when you put things in prospective Shawn wasn't in their league. He rarely competed in smaller shows and when he did he didn't win them. Great physique , perhaps should've been Mr Olympia and his type of physique should be the ideal but he wasn't. His chance to be Mr Olympia was decades before him.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2022, 04:40:13 PM »

looks great in some poses like abs/thighs and back double bicep, looks small and narrow in every other pose

always thought he looked out of place in the final pose down, too small and stumpy next to those specimens

he thinks his mouth cost him the title, i think his mouth got him higher placings than he deserved

also not overly impressed by his olympia record when you consider he only competed at the olympia, while most of the others competed year round which made it easier for him to peak at the olympia

as for his personality, i like his honesty and blunt points when talking about the sport, but when 9 out of 10 people have nothing but bad things to say it probably means he's not a good guy

E

Some of the others had to compete year round to qualify. Plus, as stated earlier, a top-10 Olympia placing was more prestigious than winning smaller shows back in the 80s and early 90s.

When the Arnold Classic money was nearly as high as that of the Olympia, that drew more competitors to compete in the spring.

Ray won the IronMan and Arnold Classic, which were considered the next two most prestigious shows after the Olympia. Maybe, he thought all he needed was to focus on the big one.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2022, 04:45:25 PM »

E

Better guy than 99 percent of the schmoes and drug addicts in the industry, the guy is close to 60 and seems to be healthy still

Kevin and flex seem to be close friends with Shawn to this day

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2022, 01:37:07 PM »
It was Flex Magazine

No, it was M&F. Gary Strydom cover.

https://ibb.co/ZBDjy1z

and Shawn wasn't close to Dorian , He was close to Kevin. Shawn Promised to beat Haney , he couldn't , promised to beat Dorian , he couldn't thought he should've beat Ronnie in 1998 , He's fucking delusional. Look when competing you have to believe you can beat anyone but when you put things in prospective Shawn wasn't in their league. He rarely competed in smaller shows and when he did he didn't win them. Great physique , perhaps should've been Mr Olympia and his type of physique should be the ideal but he wasn't. His chance to be Mr Olympia was decades before him.

As to this, we must agree to disagree.

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2022, 01:43:55 PM »
Some of the others had to compete year round to qualify. Plus, as stated earlier, a top-10 Olympia placing was more prestigious than winning smaller shows back in the 80s and early 90s.

When the Arnold Classic money was nearly as high as that of the Olympia, that drew more competitors to compete in the spring.

Ray won the IronMan and Arnold Classic, which were considered the next two most prestigious shows after the Olympia. Maybe, he thought all he needed was to focus on the big one.

Probably should have tried to get Night of Champions in New York after loss to Phil Hill.

Maybe go after Toronto Pro.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2022, 06:23:45 PM »

flex, nasser, cormier,  and Mr. Levrone regularly competed at the arnold and night of champions even though they qualified for the olympia

yes shawn only cared about the olympia

E
E

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2022, 06:29:36 PM »
No, it was M&F. Gary Strydom cover.

https://ibb.co/ZBDjy1z

As to this, we must agree to disagree.

I'm pretty sure I have that magazine. Now if I could only find it  :D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2022, 06:55:15 PM »
woooooooshhhhhhhh

Great video great advice

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2022, 07:04:44 PM »

Hi Shawn

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2022, 07:10:24 PM »