Author Topic: The wine thread!  (Read 12657 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: The wine thread!
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 10:17:57 PM »
btw..the best way to learn is to go by the bottle and drink it...

Nah, ...if you're in Ontario, the best way to learn is to go to your local LCBO and DEMAND a copy of the 'All About Wine' interactive CD set. It goes through everything, wines, spirits, beers, Eurpean, North American, French, Italian, South American, Australian... you name it.

ps - They make great stocking stuffers too.  :D
w

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 02:41:58 PM »

Tox, I still have that Inniskillin ice wine sitting in my fridge.... The O is in 2 1/2 weeks... the minute I step off the plane and am back in NY, that baby's getting popped open and lovingly guzzled  :D 

Sad thing is, I'll probably be eating pizza with it..... :-\ :o

what a suffering bottle of wine you have :'(  ya told me you were gona drink it eons ago...if you dont start being a lush again what the heck do i have 2 talk 2 you about?  ...makeup >:(
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 02:42:55 PM »
Nah, ...if you're in Ontario, the best way to learn is to go to your local LCBO and DEMAND a copy of the 'All About Wine' interactive CD set. It goes through everything, wines, spirits, beers, Eurpean, North American, French, Italian, South American, Australian... you name it.

ps - They make great stocking stuffers too.  :D

a sip is worth a thousand pictures ;)

..there..now u made me have an ephiphany >:(
carpe` vaginum!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 03:20:50 PM »
EXCELLENT THREAD Tox... thanks for the PM to alert me to it!

I have to say that I enjoy both red and whites fairly equally.  If I'm at home, I tend to want an earthy, spicey, dry red (Cal cabs  SOOO yum) because they tend to relax me.  When I'm out to dinner, I usually want a crisp, lightly sweet and fruity riesling.... they tend to make me feel a little more vibrant.  Reds relax me tooooo much, and when I have them when I'm out to eat, I wanna sleep..... not good to do at the table with yer date.... German rieslings are my fave when eating out. 

The best find for a red is Truth... a $17 bottle of wine that tastes like it could easily cost $50 or more...

Tox, I still have that Inniskillin ice wine sitting in my fridge.... The O is in 2 1/2 weeks... the minute I step off the plane and am back in NY, that baby's getting popped open and lovingly guzzled  :D 

Sad thing is, I'll probably be eating pizza with it..... :-\ :o

Hi Jennifer,

How ya been?

Icewine?  :P  ooooh, I'm a sucker for icewine.   :P  :P  :P :P :P  :P   I love it! (but I have a real sweet tooth.)  :P
w

jennifer1

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • www.teamworksfigurebikini.com
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 05:51:41 PM »
Hey Ms. Thing!  I'm good!  Psyched to be done competing in a couple weeks.... it's been a long friggin' season.... my body desperately needs rest!  And how are you?

Tox, BELIEVE me, if I could have opened it sooner I would have!  It's been sitting right in front inside my fridge since it was given to me, just waiting to be drank!  Or drunk.....

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »
Hey Ms. Thing!  I'm good!  Psyched to be done competing in a couple weeks.... it's been a long friggin' season.... my body desperately needs rest!  And how are you?

I been good. Thanks for asking?  :D

I bet you're just gonna pig out on poutine once you stop competing huh? {lol}

hmm.. I'm making myself hungry. I think I'm gonna see if I can grab some poutine myself.  :P
w

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2006, 10:04:06 AM »
Stella...why don't you come over and we'll get ...
:D Weee

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2006, 10:25:34 AM »
i had a bottle of Rothschild my friend had been keeping.  Incredibly good

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2006, 10:28:08 AM »
i had a bottle of Rothschild my friend had been keeping.  Incredibly good

Alright Migs, you can come to the party too
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2006, 10:30:44 AM »
When i worked at a country club i had bottles that would break the bank.  I had lots of connectins with liquor/wine distributors.  Had one guy give me a $200 bottle of wine as a gift.  I drank it with a good friend

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »

Tox, BELIEVE me, if I could have opened it sooner I would have!  It's been sitting right in front inside my fridge since it was given to me, just waiting to be drank!  Or drunk.....

i pulleth your leggeth!
carpe` vaginum!

2lean

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 10:23:28 AM »
This is the best thread - Oh Tox I love my wines!!!

I prefer dry reds over just about any.  I was in France some years ago and stayed a week at a cooking school then drove up the "wine route" through Burgundy then into the champagne region.  At the school, one afternoon we had a man that owned a winery and taught us some basics about wines and champagnes.  It was sooooo fantastic!!!  We stayed in a small town of Beaune, right in the heart of the Burgundy region.  We picked some grapes off the vine and they were so good. 

Oh, so sorry, I am getting off the track.  The one thing I can say about the French is that they are so civilized when it comes to their wines.  I think I drank wine with every meal!! One gentleman I met in Rheims told me that when he has to pick out a champagne it takes him a couple of minutes because all French champagnes are good.  But when it comes to picking out a wine, it will take alot longer depending on the type of wine, region it comes from, the year, etc.  Champagne can only be called champagne if it comes from the region in France that makes champagne.  From anywhere else it is sparkling wine. 

I really like to try all kinds of wines in different price ranges.  I have actually found a couple for $2.99 that aren't too bad.  But a vin rouge is my fav.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 04:42:34 PM »

- Oh Tox I love my wines!!!

I prefer dry reds over just about any.  ........ stayed a week at a cooking school .....We stayed in a small town of Beaune, right in the heart of the Burgundy region.  We picked some grapes off the vine and they were so good.

will u...umm will you marry me! :)

over dinner i do prefer a civilized un pretentious bottle of wine...but i love the pretence cali brings when i'm out at a bar or lounge...

oh god that ws so metrosexual....where is the slap myself on the face smiley when i need it :-\
carpe` vaginum!

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 04:57:37 PM »
Seghesio Zinfandel ~$15  good wine for a good price.

Stay away from "2 Buck Chuck" and Yellowtail.  I'll never drink that yucky stuff!

mish

• Getbig III
  • We'll start the ass-kissing with you.
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 05:07:20 PM »
Ooh I agree! I can't stand Yellowtail :-X

I have a bit of a sweet tooth so I prefer the sweeter wines... I adore icewine!
BKS approved

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2006, 08:42:33 AM »
yellow tail is ok shiraz for the money guys...

snobs

:D
carpe` vaginum!

Ozgrrl

• Getbig II
  • Umm...Im short and single
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2006, 09:22:16 AM »
Seghesio Zinfandel ~$15  good wine for a good price.

Stay away from "2 Buck Chuck" and Yellowtail.  I'll never drink that yucky stuff!

R U kidding me?? 2 Buck Chuck [Charles Shaw for those who dont know it]  is a bloody good drop! LOL I buy it often! :D

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2006, 09:25:51 AM »
Ooh I agree! I can't stand Yellowtail :-X

I have a bit of a sweet tooth so I prefer the sweeter wines... I adore icewine!

I've never tried the icewines.  I've seen them for years.  How would you recommend drinking these wines?

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2006, 09:29:05 AM »
R U kidding me?? 2 Buck Chuck [Charles Shaw for those who dont know it]  is a bloody good drop! LOL I buy it often! :D

I'm sorry Gina.  I was so excited to get a $2 bottle of wine.  I tried to drink it, but my taste buds said no.  It's like me and Starbucks coffee...I can't drink it.   :P

Ozgrrl

• Getbig II
  • Umm...Im short and single
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2006, 09:32:11 AM »
I'm sorry Gina.  I was so excited to get a $2 bottle of wine.  I tried to drink it, but my taste buds said no.  It's like me and Starbucks coffee...I can't drink it.   :P

Haha. No worries! ;)
Well I was only recently put onto it from one of my past clients. And I was actually suprised how smooth it is!
To each their own, for sure!! And I am a Coffee Bean kinda grrl, I cant go Starbucks either!!

mish

• Getbig III
  • We'll start the ass-kissing with you.
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2006, 05:47:43 PM »
I've never tried the icewines.  I've seen them for years.  How would you recommend drinking these wines?

Since they are so sweet I generally stick to fresh fruit when I have a glass (chilled not cold). I've heard of them being also being used in making jellies and as ingredients in cocktails (be kinda pricy I'd think :-\) and being blended with brandy - none of which I've ever tried. On a side note I've notice that a re-corked bottle will last rather well in the fridge for a couple of days (maybe cause of the high sugar content?) not that mine hang around that long usually :P ;D

BKS approved

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2006, 08:17:21 PM »
i have a wine store near me that holds tastings and after you can buy the bottles for pretty cheap.  Some great wines.  I bought a $20 bottle of wine for 8 bucks.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2006, 08:50:21 PM »

You don't know what you're missing.  Recommended drinking: Well chilled, ...anytime, ...anyplace  :P
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2006, 08:56:09 PM »
My favorite brand is Martinelli's.   :)

http://www.martinellis.com/

2lean

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2006, 11:09:42 AM »
I have tried that Charles Shaw.  Not bad, not great, but for $2, what would you expect!

On the coffee front, I am not a Starbucks fan either.  I prefer to grind my own coffee.  The best coffee I had was in San Francisco at a little place called Cafe Trieste (I think that is how it is spelled).  It is located in North Beach.  The latte I've ever had!!!  Peet's would come in a close 2nd!