Author Topic: Figure Olympia Gripe Thread  (Read 7221 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Figure Olympia Gripe Thread
« on: October 01, 2007, 09:55:31 AM »

Let the games begin...

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Figure Olympia Gripe Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 09:56:59 AM »

Just saw the results - what a joke.

The question of the day: "Are you kiddin' me?" 

NPCFigureChick

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »
jenny lynn first and sonia third among 30 girls
while jenny lynn i dont have a problem winning even though i prefer valerie, gina and amber
sonia i just dont get it.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »

If Jenny Lynn is 1, then why isn't Mary Lado 2? 

Please explain.  Thanks in advance.

NPCFigureChick

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:42:05 AM »
couldnt agree more

The General

• Getbig III
  • The Absolute leader
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »
by the way were Valerie,Monica and Mary were so bad....... just hilarious and unbelievably stupid.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:09:51 PM »
Mary was definitely "off" and not even close to touching Jenny. Jenny was the clear winner in the mix from there the rumblings start.

Where is the millionaire gimmick man? He thought I was crazy for moving Gina up into the top three after seeing her at the TOC?

Elevate Your Image.™

tommyguns

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »
I made my gripes in the other figure thread about how Val got screwed.  

But I should explain myself.  Honestly, Gina and Amanda brought the best packages to the stage, the very package that the judges rejected at the Arnold, saying that was too hard, and that they were pushing a softer look.  I'll call it the "Lado look."  (Not the 2006 Arnold Lado look, rather the 2007 Arnold Lado look, which was NOT a good look).  I don't agree with that, but OK, I'll take their word for it.  

So Val brings a softer look to the Olympia stage, and gets beaten handily by the very physique she brought to the 2007 Arnold (Gina and Amanda).  Isn't that the very package the judges were telling the girls to abandon?  I guess not.

The fact of the matter, the judges don't agree on judging criteria, and are not consistent from show to show, leaving it to the girls to guess what they want at any given show.  That's not fair to the girls who spend a lot of time training, dieting, etc. for these shows.

Why not tell the girls to come in ripped and hard, then ask them to pose in a truly relaxed pose with quarter turns, as well as the traditional "flexed" relaxed poses, and then the judges can evaluate more stuff in grading the ladies.  With all the work they put in, I think they deserve a few extra minutes to be honestly critiqued.

Also, screw the call-outs, and how that predetermines everything.  I think they can continue to mix the call-outs and have the girls in a lot more comparisons.  Give the judges the time necessary to truly ID the distinctions, so they can do a better job judging.  

If you use my standard for figure, Gina won the show.  If you tell Val to bring her "A" game like she did at the Arnold, then you have
Val, Gina and Amanda all at about a tie.

Amber is not balanced.  She needs to bring her shoulders down, or everthing else up.  That lack of balance should not be rewarded.

Sonja is a JPM girl, so she gets top 5 automatically.  So does Jenny.  Jenny Lynn may be a super person, but she wasn't the best figure competitor on Fri/Sat.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 12:25:45 PM »

Sonja is a JPM girl, so she gets top 5 automatically.  So does Jenny.  Jenny Lynn may be a super person, but she wasn't the best figure competitor on Fri/Sat.
You were making some valid arguments until this. This is the same tired excuse whenever a woman places well.

::)
Elevate Your Image.™

tommyguns

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:38:30 PM »
Valid point, and I apologize.  I hate when I let my bad attitude cause me to make an unwarranted crack at somebody.  They don't deserve it, and it was crappy for me to say it.

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 12:40:06 PM »
I don't think Jenny was as good as 06, however looking back at the pics I don't see anyone aside from possibly Gina who could beat her or rather "knock out the champ". Jenny was criticized for quad defintion and it seemed like that same problem resurfaced after correcting it last year. I wish Amanda was a bit less conditioned like at the Arnold and she could have been right in the running for the title.

FigureRX

• Getbig II
  • FigureRX.com - Everything Figure and Fitness
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 12:48:30 PM »
I'm not ready to say that Val looked this way (which was still really good) intentionally, she's very independent and usually comes in the way she desires.   We'd have to find out from her.

So Val brings a softer look to the Olympia stage, and gets beaten handily by the very physique she brought to the 2007 Arnold (Gina and Amanda).  Isn't that the very package the judges were telling the girls to abandon?  I guess not.

I don't think the call-outs necessarily determine everything.  It just so happens that the judges pick their initial favorites to look at it first, and then if becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  If you look at the end some of the athletes were called back for an additional look, "out of order" so to speak.

Also, screw the call-outs, and how that predetermines everything.  I think they can continue to mix the call-outs and have the girls in a lot more comparisons.  Give the judges the time necessary to truly ID the distinctions, so they can do a better job judging.

Thanks for the comment below.  I feel like there was some sort of Amber lovefest going on both before and during the show.  I just don't see it.  She's top ten material but there are definite and noticeable flaws in her physique including the lack of balance / symmetry that you mention.

Amber is not balanced.  She needs to bring her shoulders down, or everthing else up.  That lack of balance should not be rewarded.

Disagree with you here.  Sonia very much deserved her placing, she was gorgeous and symmetrical, but she's smaller so you have to evaluate her physique a little differently.  Anyway, I'm repeating what we said in our report .... Amanda is also with JMP, Gina is as well though to her credit she's more independent.  Politics only bump people one or two spots in either direction, they don't result in a wholesale changing of the placings.  And right now there are not a lot of management alternatives for the top athletes, so by definition those at the top select JMP and JMP selects them.  So it's no surprise that the best athletes place well, you can't blame politics.

Sonja is a JPM girl, so she gets top 5 automatically.  So does Jenny.  Jenny Lynn may be a super person, but she wasn't the best figure competitor on Fri/Sat.

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 12:56:39 PM »
I personally liked what Gina brought to the stage.  Her physique is one I think should be the model for Figure.
Amber has a really great shape and she does have awesome shoulder caps and has some "sick" back definition.  Jenny, well, she has a physique that seems to suit her well and you can't take that away from her.  

That's one thing I am noticing, especially in fitness....the judges don't necessarily want the same conditioning on every athlete.  Case in point....Tanji....a super ripped, dry look would not suit her.  I think she brings something different and still places very well....why, well it suits her.  If you put that same type of conditioning on Adela, I just don't think it would fit...but on Tanji it looks right.  (BTW, I mentioned last week that I thought she might have a hard time coming into the O after competing right after the TOC...Let me be the first to say - I WAS WRONG - Great job Tanji on kicking it all the way into the O!)

While this concept is a tough one for competitors to deal with, someone recently said it very well....YOU determine how YOU want to come into the show and no matter what and you win, just maybe not the title.  

In this sport, you need to strive for what you want your physique to look like.  Does that mean you are going to belong on stage if you decide not to give up the Hagen Das...NO.  But every competitor needs to examine how they look and determine what is most aesthetically pleasing while still bringing a "competitive package".

Rick

Scooby

• Getbig II
  • Can you dig it?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 01:23:36 PM »
I don't think Jenny was as good as 06, however looking back at the pics I don't see anyone aside from possibly Gina who could beat her or rather "knock out the champ".

Yes Gina definitely has the potential to "knock out the champ", and she is showing the most promise of possibly doing so.  Everyone needs to remember Gina is only 23 and being as close as she is to throwing that knock-out blow... Gina could possibly be the future of Figure and reign over it for a very long time.

mbell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 01:55:20 PM »
I didn't really agree with the judging but nothing new there. It's a subjective sport, I guess the judges and I don't see it the same. Well, with the exception of Jenny Lynn. I think she deserved to win. She was the best on the stage that night. I prefer a fuller Jenny myself but she still won the show IMO. She always has such great stage presence and her suits are always beautiful and fit her shape perfectly.

Mo was not at her best but I still think she should have cracked top 5. IMO she also looks better fuller, more muscular. Also her suit cut was a little off. None the less, with her structure and muscularity she should have been in the top 5. Same as Val, I would have had her second. That girls structure and symmetry is just insane. Even being a little "soft" she still looked phenomenal.

Just my 2 cents!  ;)

M

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 05:10:50 PM »
Mary was definitely "off" and not even close to touching Jenny. Jenny was the clear winner in the mix from there the rumblings start.

Where is the millionaire gimmick man? He thought I was crazy for moving Gina up into the top three after seeing her at the TOC?

How does Gina not place above Jenny Lynn? 

I have nothing for or against either woman. 

Scooby

• Getbig II
  • Can you dig it?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 07:36:51 AM »

Tre... It is because you can't rush the future, you must let it happen.  When things are forced to blossom early, they also fade quickly.  Just sit back and let nature and evolution take their course.

**Damn I have to quit reading Zen books on the plane**

Ozgrrl

• Getbig II
  • Umm...Im short and single
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 07:50:02 AM »

Lower body - especially from lower thigh downwards. She is just not in the same league when it comes to Jenny Lynns structure.

HDPhysiques

• Getbig III
  • "Hi-Def Bodies in Hi-Def Video"
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 08:30:51 AM »
Gina absolutely smoked everyone and should've won the show.
JOIN HDPhysiques!!!!

tommyguns

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 10:34:11 AM »
Lower body - especially from lower thigh downwards. She is just not in the same league when it comes to Jenny Lynns structure.

Regarding the above statement, do you any front/back pics of Jenny and Gina?  I'd love to look at some comparisons.  I'm not saying I disagree, but I'd like to see what you're referring to. 

HDPhysiques

• Getbig III
  • "Hi-Def Bodies in Hi-Def Video"
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 12:39:19 PM »
I don't have time right now to copy and paste and link photos myself, like this person did.... but check out this thread I saw on Legeros's forum last night.... this makes my point about Gina vs. the field (inc. Jenny). (sorry for having to link to another board....)

http://femuscle.org/board/showthread.php?t=1031
JOIN HDPhysiques!!!!

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 01:13:47 PM »
One to watch... Zivile. She is stunning.
Elevate Your Image.™

AVBG

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
I watched the figure and I couldn't disagree with the placings.. Jenny deserved the victory, some of the other placings could have been switched without to much fuss - either way.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 04:07:29 PM »
One to watch... Zivile. She is stunning.

Is it ok to say "Goddamn, she's fine!!!!"?

Because if it's not ok, it ought to be.  hehe

Great work this weekend, Isaac - I hope that your recovery is going well.  Me, I've pretty much slept most of the day...between angry keyboard cowboy posts, that is. lol

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »
I watched the figure and I couldn't disagree with the placings.. Jenny deserved the victory...

Ok then, I ask again: 

If Jenny Lynn is 1, then why isn't Mary Lado 2? 

Please explain.  Thanks in advance.