Author Topic: Why is it that there are no women of color in the Mags  (Read 24791 times)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: Why is it that there are no women of color in the Mags
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »
Dont worry about it toxic-

I hope this will help other women to post on here.
we need more women on this site, that will speak out on what they believe.

aloha sasha
i'm drinking a saint pauli's girl right now..i have 4 more to go..soo i'm pretty friggin estatic right now  ;D

and yes we do need more vagi..umm women on this board...

k that ws a joke..

see how i do that  :D
carpe` vaginum!

Sasha Ogata

• Getbig II
  • aloha sasha
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006, 08:39:26 AM »
Your to funny. ;D
"I know Im ugly"

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2006, 11:00:41 AM »
alright here is a little secret on how to make your poop turn green..its awesome...its festive poopy!

works with purple gatorade also!!  ;D

http://www.poopreport.com/Intellectual/Content/Dye/dye.html
carpe` vaginum!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2006, 11:06:14 AM »
Ok......not even gonna bother.....

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2006, 01:23:45 AM »
Bottom line is that racism still exsits and the editors of the mags are white men that control who gets in the mags (blonde hair, blue eyes). 

Yes, Michael, but it's a deeper issue than that.

From a pure numbers standpoint, what is the breakdown of total white vs. non-white female competitors? 

I would think there would alot more white women than non-white and that being the case, the proportionate number would be white.

You can't really force magazines to display women they don't feel would help promote their magazine or help it sell.  That's basic economics.  If I was the owner of a magazine I would put women on the cover that I found attractive, and who I thought my core base would like also.  It's a subjective judgement, nothing that can be argued in terms of racial politics.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2006, 02:06:29 PM »
bingo!
carpe` vaginum!

Sasha Ogata

• Getbig II
  • aloha sasha
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2006, 03:10:04 PM »
 Hole in one !
"I know Im ugly"

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2006, 10:59:19 AM »
You can't really force magazines to display women they don't feel would help promote their magazine or help it sell.  That's basic economics.  If I was the owner of a magazine I would put women on the cover that I found attractive, and who I thought my core base would like also.  It's a subjective judgment, nothing that can be argued in terms of racial politics.

Reality is what it is. 

These magazines exist to sell ads and subscriptions so that they can remain in business.  They're not here to promote any socio-economic equality - that's not their agenda. 

gettinhuge

• Getbig III
  • Comming Soon ME!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2006, 10:11:06 PM »
Hole in one !

So Sasha Your saying women of color cannot sell magazine that there portrayl the white owners of what is a great looking women is white is always right and profitable.....SAsha you Dont look so white to me you my blond streak your hair all day but you will never be white...Put that hole in your one!

Sasha Ogata

• Getbig II
  • aloha sasha
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2006, 06:09:53 AM »
 Im saying if you take a magazine and you look at all the covers that they have done in 12 months, mst of the covers will be of white people. They will have few Covers with people of any color. How many Asian,Black,Indian, women/men do you see on the covers of any fitness magazine?   I would have to say not many. I have had a few covers in my life, and im very happy that i got them, but there are only a few women of color on  covers every year....
"I know Im ugly"

dmorgan41178

• Getbig II
  • Big Big Big!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2006, 01:52:13 PM »
they dont want white girls hurt by lack of round juicy booties that their chocolate sisters have!!! there are plenty of sexy women of color in fitness, figure, and bb and high rankers but.........

someone said earlier they will not risk offended someone to have to look at a minority and jeopardize sales. whatever....SHOW ME THE COLOR!!!!!
Gonna Beat Em'

Sasha Ogata

• Getbig II
  • aloha sasha
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2006, 11:45:26 AM »
I love exotic women with a edge.......
"I know Im ugly"

ANAL DISCHARGE

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2006, 03:49:01 AM »
Simple answer is that generally they sure is ugly.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2006, 04:19:30 AM »
Reality is what it is. 
These magazines exist to sell ads and subscriptions so that they can remain in business.  They're not here to promote any socio-economic equality - that's not their agenda. 

I think that is bascially what I said, TreDogg.

It's business over personal.......

The bottom line.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Sasha Ogata

• Getbig II
  • aloha sasha
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2006, 11:51:29 PM »
I think you both right....
"I know Im ugly"

OWNER

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • ACQUIRING INFO.
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2006, 10:26:43 PM »
BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF BUYERS OF THE MAGS PREFER WHITE GIRLS.
I WILL OWN YOU

zw8lifter

• Getbig I
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2006, 10:52:52 PM »
So I just hit the mag rack at the grocery store tonight. The Flex swimsuit issue is fantastic and it features 2 absolutely adorable "women of color" (Tanji Johnson and Stacy Simons). I guess they're starting to get more exposure after all. Looking good girls!

Sasha Ogata

• Getbig II
  • aloha sasha
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
I just got that issue also...

Great cover, the girls look awesome... ;D

Im so glad that they are using more women of color.... :-*
"I know Im ugly"

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2006, 09:42:13 AM »
Notice where the "hot and symmetrical sistas" thread is..........

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2006, 10:23:25 AM »
Notice where the "hot and symmetrical sistas" thread is..........

Yes I did

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2006, 11:08:02 AM »
Yes I did

And before that.... it was on the G&O board.

If memory serves, that thread was around along with an ass pics thead before the sex board.

OneBigMan

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2006, 02:12:04 PM »
I wanted to make some points about this subject since I never did when it was being discussed.

The issue about what I'll describe as shade skin women versus very light skin women goes back to the height of magazine sales in the modern fitness era of the 2nd half of the 90's. The magazines have always leaned towards the stereotype of female paleskin "hotties" only being beautiful when reality is not what the image is. We all know who were on the covers of Muscle&Fitness, MuscleMag, Oxygen, and other real fitness related publications. There were some exceptions to the repeated cycle of monthly models on magazine covers. I'm not afraid to say that women with dark complections were discouraged from being placed on the front cover. I'm saying that the fear of taking that chance made it hard to do that very often. Just look at how I'm describing certain fitness ladies as shade skin women basically because I don't want to stick to the tired label of calling them black or african-american. Honestly, why would the term black or "A-A" be applied to someone such as the second Fitness Olympia champion who is Danish. Compare other fitness beauties who look similar to who I just referred to and understand the truth about the actual color of skin versus the ugly word that is said when contrasted with the word that is colorless.   

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2006, 07:48:55 AM »
The cover is the most important page of a magazine. That is how you lure people at the paper store.

All magazines will put what they think will sell the most mags on the cover.

If anyone has a problem with this, they need to work against racism in the society. Not trying to make magazines making cover who will sell less.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

OneBigMan

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2006, 06:47:11 AM »
The cover is the most important page of a magazine. That is how you lure people at the paper store.

All magazines will put what they think will sell the most mags on the cover.

If anyone has a problem with this, they need to work against racism in the society. Not trying to make magazines making cover who will sell less.

YIP
Zack

Another thing besides that is that there are indeed certain requests that are made by some of the big name photographers and publishers that just have to be granted based on doing what it really takes to get the media exposure you want in this selfish industry.

andydude00

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2006, 12:34:28 AM »
I think the problem is not the magazines, but the people who buy them. If women with orange skin sold more magazines, most women on the magazines would be orange. Call it what you like but its what the society in this day and age is lured to. Most women who dye their hair dye it what color? Blonde, right? The cool thing about society is that its slowly changing its idea of beauty. Look at people nowadays. Women and men get burnt under the sun trying to get darker skin tones.

I am not involved in bodybuilding or anything so I cannot vouch for this first hand, but from what I see in the forums, and magazines it seems as if bodybuilding is one of the least racist sports. In football until recently it was a big deal if there was a black qb. They would cast doubt on their abilities and so on. Look at bodybuilding, even though Sergio spoke about racism he was still Mr. Olympia in the late 60's. How many other sports had a non white champion at that time?