Author Topic: Senator Joe Manchin  (Read 1094 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Senator Joe Manchin
« on: June 10, 2021, 02:36:48 PM »
What is Senator Manchin thinking?  Doesn't he know there is no independent thought allowed in the Democrat party??

W.Va. Black Leaders Warn Joe Manchin His Voting Rights Opposition Could Cost Their Support
“African-Americans in West Virginia could be his Achilles’ heel,”said Owens Brown, president of the West Virginia NAACP.
By Paul Blumenthal
06/10/2021

One month before Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) met with national civil rights groups to discuss his opposition to congressional Democrats’ sweeping voting rights bill, he met with leaders of the West Virginia NAACP who were hoping to persuade him to back it.

The state activists wanted to understand Manchin’s then-unstated position on the bill. The senator told meeting attendees that he was opposed to certain provisions of the bill, but didn’t name any. And while he didn’t take a position on the bill at the time, it came across as though he opposed it.

Manchin joined the May 6 meeting by phone for only 15 minutes before handing it off to a staff member.

“We were very unsatisfied with his response and how short of a meeting he had with us,” said Owens Brown, president of the West Virginia NAACP.

Brown and other Black leaders in the state are deeply frustrated with Manchin and are planning to step up their activism to pressure him to stop opposing key parts of his party’s agenda in Congress. Although just 3.6% of West Virginia residents are Black, they argue that their support was key to his narrow victory in his last election ― and he cannot take them for granted going forward.

“If we all sat on our hands and stayed home, we would have an impact,” said Jennifer Wells, senior organizer at Community Change Action.

In his meeting with the state NAACP, Manchin did say that he supported the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, a more limited bill that would reinstate the preclearance formula for the 1965 Voting Rights Act gutted by the Supreme Court in 2013.

Sen. Joe Manchin announced that he will not support the For the People Act, the voting rights legislation that Democrats are
DREW ANGERER VIA GETTY IMAGES
Sen. Joe Manchin announced that he will not support the For the People Act, the voting rights legislation that Democrats are trying to pass through the Senate.

Brown sent a follow-up letter to Manchin thanking him for his support for the John Lewis voting act but explained that the law, unless applied retroactively, would not fix the many voter suppression policies adopted by Republican state legislatures now. The For the People Act, however, would override many of those suppressive provisions.

“Respectfully, we ask that you support H.R. 1/S. 1 - For the People Act and request your written response to this request,” the May 18 letter stated. ”We look forward to meeting with you to further discuss this legislation.”

Manchin’s staff acknowledged receipt of the letter, according to Brown, but the West Virginia NAACP didn’t hear back from the senator about his position on the bill or about a follow-up meeting. Brown instead learned that Manchin opposed the For the People Act from the opinion piece the senator published in the Charleston Gazette-Mail on June 6.

The opinion piece stated that Manchin opposed the bill solely because no Republican will support it. Just like in the meeting with Brown and other West Virginia NAACP leaders, Manchin did not lay out any objection to any provision of the bill.

Manchin’s opposition to the bill is now fomenting a reaction among Black leaders in the state that could imperil his already tenuous political future.

“He’s chosen his side, and his side is not the Black community,” Wells said.

Black activists in West Virginia point out that Manchin’s razor-thin margin of victory of less than 19,000 votes in the 2018 Senate election is owed to Black voters.

While West Virginia tilts further and further right, a Democratic senator like Manchin must still maintain support from the small Black community in the state to stay alive politically. His position on the For the People Act is threatening that support.

“African-Americans in West Virginia could be his Achilles’ heel,” Brown said.

Manchin’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

There have been other recent problems related to race within the West Virginia Democratic Party, which is led by Manchin’s cousin Belinda Biafore, that are further animating dissension against Manchin and his in-state allies.

Back in the 1970s, the Democratic Party adopted bylaws that mandated all state parties adopt affirmative action policies to increase diversity within their leadership and membership. West Virginia still has not done so. The state party created an Affirmative Action Committee made up of members of Black, Hispanic, LGBTQ and other communities. But at a meeting in June held on Zoom the all-white party leadership announced that they had written the affirmative action policy without input from that committee. The meeting erupted as Black members of the committee protested the exclusion of their input.

“Hopefully we’ll mend those fences soon,” said Hollis Lewis, co-chair of the Affirmative Action Committee and co-chair of the West Virginia Democratic Party Black Caucus.

This intraparty conflict is feeding into the growing disapproval of Manchin among West Virginia’s Black leaders. In both cases, Black leaders feel that Manchin and his in-state allies are just assuming they’ll always be on their side.

“There seems to be an insensitivity on [Manchin’s] part on this because he doesn’t have to worry about African-Americans in West Virginia because of the small number of us,” Brown said. “He can overlook us, or think he doesn’t have to pay attention to us, because of our numbers.”

There is still hope that Manchin will continue to listen to the Black leaders in the state as they rally support in West Virginia for the For the People Act within the Black community and across the state as part of a broad coalition backing the bill.

“This is a legacy-defining moment,” Lewis said. “This is a time where we’re kinda looking at you to do the right thing.”

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) plans to hold a floor vote on the For the People Act during the week of June 21. The next two weeks will reveal whether Manchin’s home state voters can get through to him.

“I believe that he is enjoying the limelight so much that he has not been listening to his own constituency,” said Pastor David Fryson, who is involved in the Affirmative Action Committee.

“We get told no, but Mitch McConnell and the Republican Party, they get to be listened to,” Wells said. “Folks are mobilizing now. There’s another West Virginia and we’re fighting for change.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-manchin-voting-rights-west-virginia_n_60c22a99e4b0e6bab7a52b42

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Senator Joe Manchin
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 03:16:40 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Apparently you think his constituents shouldn't take his actions into consideration when they are voting for him?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 03:18:42 PM »
I wonder what made old Joe change his mind
I guess this is where those "independent" thoughts came from

Sen. Joe Manchin, the West Virginia Democrat famous for his vow to maintain the Senate filibuster and thereby scuttle much of President Biden's agenda, recently published an op-ed opposing the For the People Act, Democrats' whopping voting-rights bill. That article strongly echoed talking points from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce — and appeared shortly after the influential pro-business lobby resumed donations to Manchin's campaign after nearly a decade.
https://www.salon.com/2021/06/10/joe-manchins-highly-suspicious-reversal-on-voting-bill-follows-donation-from-corporate-lobby/

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
Re: Liz Cheney
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 03:22:22 PM »
What is Congresswoman Cheney thinking?  Doesn't she know rational thought is no longer permitted in the GOP?

See how that works? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 03:29:16 PM »
See how that works?

Not in the same universe.  Cheney spent an inordinate amount of time attacking President Trump, appearing on MSM shows who were using her as a prop, and she had the third highest leadership position in the GOP.  She made it her mission to undermine Trump.  She cannot do that and stay in a leadership position. 

That is nothing like Democrats who vote with one voice.  These controversial bills and things like impeachment are supported by every single Democrat in the House and usually the Senate. 

And regarding this bill, there were no committee hearings, no public testimony, no deliberation.  They just rammed that garbage through.  Have you actually looked at what's in this bill?   

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 03:58:10 PM »
"My job is to make sure (fill in the blank) is a one term president".

Which Republican president was being maligned here and by which Democrat?

Again, see how things really work?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
"My job is to make sure (fill in the blank) is a one term president".

Which Republican president was being maligned here and by which Democrat?

Again, see how things really work?

No I don't agree with your attempted moral equivalency.  Both parties suck, but they don't share all of the same problems. 

Groupthink and lockstep voting/viewpoints is something that afflicts today's Democrat party much more than the GOP.     

If you were making an apples to apples comparison (like both parties lying to their constituents to get elected) you would have a point.  But this particular issue regarding Democrats being intolerant and speaking with one voice is primarily a Democrat problem. 

What should concern people is how no one even bats an eye at how every single Democrat (except one) can support a horrendous and clearly unconstitutional piece of legislation.     

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 04:11:33 PM »
Not in the same universe.  Cheney spent an inordinate amount of time attacking President Trump, appearing on MSM shows who were using her as a prop, and she had the third highest leadership position in the GOP.  She made it her mission to undermine Trump.  She cannot do that and stay in a leadership position. 

That is nothing like Democrats who vote with one voice.  These controversial bills and things like impeachment are supported by every single Democrat in the House and usually the Senate. 

And regarding this bill, there were no committee hearings, no public testimony, no deliberation.  They just rammed that garbage through.  Have you actually looked at what's in this bill?   

LOL - says who?

Only after he incited a violent mob to attack the Capitol in an attempt to subvert our Democracy

She's only one in the entire GOP so called "leadership" who has a spine and puts her duty to the the country and The Constitution before loyalty to a person/cult leader.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 04:53:56 PM »
At least the GOP has Louie Gohmert stepping up to do something about climate change.  Something about getting the US Forest Service to "move the moon".  To Dos point about moral equivalency....There is none.  There is nobody and I mean nobody on the political left in particular the elected political left as fucked up and stupid and Louie Gohmert or James "Snowball" Inhoffe. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 05:02:43 PM »
At least the GOP has Louie Gohmert stepping up to do something about climate change.  Something about getting the US Forest Service to "move the moon".  To Dos point about moral equivalency....There is none.  There is nobody and I mean nobody on the political left in particular the elected political left as fucked up and stupid and Louie Gohmert or James "Snowball" Inhoffe.

I don't think you believe that.  I double dog dare you to find anything worse than this:

But back to the bill.  You really should take a closer look at it. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 04:42:14 PM »
Manchin Comes Out Against Biden’s Vaccine Mandate For Large Companies
ANDREW TRUNSKY
POLITICAL REPORTER
December 03, 2021
https://dailycaller.com/2021/12/03/joe-manchin-biden-vaccine-mandate-mike-braun-west-virginia-indiana/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 03:59:59 PM »
Manchin confidant: Biden White House's incivility was last straw on Build Back Better
Biden personalizing negotiations over massive social policy bill put Manchin's family at risk: Steve Clemons
By David Rutz | Fox News
https://www.foxnews.com/media/manchin-confidant-biden-white-houses-incivility

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 05:39:34 PM »

Oh, really?

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 06:26:55 PM »
I don't think you believe that.  I double dog dare you to find anything worse than this:

Second place?  :D

3rd place?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2021, 06:59:38 PM »
Oh, really?

She might be an asshole but definitely not Gohmert or Inhoffe stupid. 

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2021, 08:02:35 PM »
She might be an asshole but definitely not Gohmert or Inhoffe stupid.

Funniest thing I've read all day.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 08:34:08 PM »

Hahahaha….my wife is from Guam. We had good chuckle at this when we first saw it 😂

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2021, 03:05:58 AM »
Watch any video of a member of the Congressional Black Caucus and you will be shocked people of such low IQ get elected to Congress. Their districts must be full of retards.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2021, 07:25:23 AM »
Watch any video of a member of the Congressional Black Caucus and you will be shocked people of such low IQ get elected to Congress. Their districts must be full of retards.

It's easy to fix elections in districts with 20% voter turnout.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2021, 04:32:33 PM »
Hahahaha….my wife is from Guam. We had good chuckle at this when we first saw it 😂

Chamorro women are beautiful.  Nice people too.  I've been there several times. 

This idiot tried to claim he was joking, but when you watch the clip it's obvious he was serious. 

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2021, 05:43:44 PM »

No kidding.  My wife’s former in-laws are from Guam.  We all still get together.  :D