Author Topic: College Football Fans  (Read 29012 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
College Football Fans
« on: October 08, 2006, 01:45:33 AM »
Keep your eye on Univ. of Hawaii QB Colt Brennan.  Led the nation in yards and TDs last year.  Will probably do so again this year.  He's completing about 70 percent of his passes.  The kid is on fire.  Another stellar performance tonight:  400+ yards passing, completed better than 70 percent, 4 TD passes, 1 rushing TD.  And one almost costly fumble late.  I almost had a heart attack. 

He's a surgeon.  Too bad he doesn't get the hype people like Brady Quinn do.  The kid can play.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Re: College Football Fans
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 07:59:28 PM »
what conference is hawaii in? the new WAC?
Valhalla awaits.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 09:11:03 PM »
what conference is hawaii in? the new WAC?

Same old WAC.  Several teams left about 6 or 7 years ago to form the Mountain West Conference:  BYU, Utah, San Diego State, etc.  The Texas schools left a couple years ago:  UTEP, SMU, Rice.

It's now UH, Boise, Fresno, Nevada, La Tech, San Jose St, Utah St., Idaho, and New Mexico State.  Boise and Fresno are in the top 25 every year.  UH and Nevada are pretty good every year.  The rest are average-to-bad. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 09:32:51 PM »
Keep your eye on Univ. of Hawaii QB Colt Brennan.

Why? Does he have a cute little tushy? That's the only reason to watch football as far as I'm concerned.  :)
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 09:35:19 PM »
Why? Does he have a cute little tushy? That's the only reason to watch football as far as I'm concerned.  :)

I wouldn't know, but he throws up a lot on the field, hijacker.   

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 10:00:25 PM »
I wouldn't know, but he throws up a lot on the field, hijacker.   

What? ...the thread is entitled College Football Fans isn't it?.
If not for all those cute little tushies on those college guys,
...there'd be no other reason to call me a college football fan.
{pssst} - I'm just keepin' it real  :P
w

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 10:25:10 PM »
I bet he can't wait to join Timmy Chang in the NFL Europe. Passing stats at Hawaii have always been bloated because

1. they pass the ball 50 times a game
and
2. they play in the WAC where nobody plays defence

Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 11:51:08 PM »
I bet he can't wait to join Timmy Chang in the NFL Europe. Passing stats at Hawaii have always been bloated because

and

1.  Hawaii ran the option before June Jones joined the program, so they hardly ever threw the ball.  That pretty much tells me you know nothing about Univ. of Hawaii football.

2.  You have obviously never watched Colt play, particularly this season. 

3.  You're right, there aren't a ton of defensive players in the NFL from the WAC.  [sarcasm] 

4.  UH didn't win by seven points last night after Nevada had first and goal at the 3 yard line.  Four straight plays.  Defense won the game.

At least two of our seniors will probably play on Sundays:  DE Ikaika Alama-Francis and FS Leonard Peters.  Both studs. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 07:33:23 AM »

At least two of our seniors will probably play on Sundays:  DE Ikaika Alama-Francis and FS Leonard Peters.  Both studs. 

Indeed!  Both of these kids will be playing on Sundays next fall.  Alama-Francis is relentless!   :o

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 08:42:49 AM »
Indeed!  Both of these kids will be playing on Sundays next fall.  Alama-Francis is relentless!   :o

He is.  He could be a beast.  He's a converted basketball player.  This is only his third year playing football.  He's 6'5" (or 6'6" depending on who you believe), 290, and lean.  Runs a 4.6-4.7 40.  One publication had him ranked 12th or 13th in the country among DEs coming into the season. 

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 05:30:30 PM »
1.  Hawaii ran the option before June Jones joined the program, so they hardly ever threw the ball.  That pretty much tells me you know nothing about Univ. of Hawaii football.

2.  You have obviously never watched Colt play, particularly this season. 

3.  You're right, there aren't a ton of defensive players in the NFL from the WAC.  [sarcasm] 

4.  UH didn't win by seven points last night after Nevada had first and goal at the 3 yard line.  Four straight plays.  Defense won the game.

June Jones has been there throwing the ball around for almost a decade. how far back do you want to go? Your QB is a product of your program. He'll be another Timmy Chang. Put up monster numbers in a weak conference. He probably wouldn't even start at most BCS conference schools.

Beating Nevada by 7. wow. monster win
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 05:58:13 PM »
June Jones has been there throwing the ball around for almost a decade. how far back do you want to go? Your QB is a product of your program. He'll be another Timmy Chang. Put up monster numbers in a weak conference. He probably wouldn't even start at most BCS conference schools.

Beating Nevada by 7. wow. monster win

June has been here eight years, but that has nothing to do with the fact you don't know anything about the program.  How many UH games have you watched? 

Not every QB in the system is created equal.  Timmy was very good.  He has an NFL arm, can make all the throws, but may not have what it takes between the ears.  He did very well in NFL Europe and almost made the Eagles roster this year.  Had a meltdown game in the last preseason game that sealed his fate (along with the Eagles picking up A.J. Feely). 

Colt went to Mater Dei in California, one of the powerhouse schools in California, and to Colorado for a year before he got into trouble, then a year at Saddleback JC.  I won't waste my time talking about Colt throwing TDs against USC, at Michigan State, at Alabama, at Boise, etc., because you've never seen the kid play.  I think he's playing as well as any QB in the country.  He certainly is playing as well as anyone by the numbers.  I think he's the best QB we've ever had at UH.   

I have debates with people like you on occasion.  Same old song and dance:  "the WAC is a weak conference, they don't play defense, blah blah blah.  Oh and by the way I've never seen them play."   ::)     

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 07:40:07 PM »
A quote from someone who has actually watched Colt play:

A: The five should be Heisman candidates that aren’t:
1. Rutgers RB Ray Rice, Soph. – 2nd in the nation in rushing and tied with Wolfe and Clemson’s James Davis with 11 rushing touchdowns.
2. Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart, Soph. – Among the top rushers with at least 30 carries, only Wolfe is averaging more yards per carry (9.88) than Stewart and his 7.88 per try. Despite struggling through an ankle problem, he ran for 144 yards against Oklahoma and 142 against Arizona State.
3. Missouri QB Chase Daniel, Soph. – His team is unbeaten going into the showdown with Texas Tech, and he’s throwing well with 13 touchdown passes and only four interceptions to go along with 130 rushing yards and three scores. Now he needs a win over a team with a pulse.
4. Ian Johnson, RB Boise State, Soph. – Seven yards per carry, fifth in the nation in rushing, and the main man on a possible BCS team.
5. Colt Brennan, QB Hawaii, Jr. – Brennan’s not Troy Smith, but watch his first five games and you’ll think he could be the nation’s best quarterback. It’s not just the system; he’s that good as the top player in the top 20 in passing in yards per attempt and yards per completion.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/576321.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »
From June Jones yesterday:

Brennan lauded:
A few hours after Colt Brennan was named WAC offensive player of the week, Jones said he's the best at his position in the nation.
"I really can't imagine another quarterback in the country better than him right now," Jones said. "Is there somebody more talented? Maybe. But they're not playing in the system and doing what he's doing and proving it every week."

Brennan moved past Garrett Gabriel into second on UH's all-time passing-yardage list with a season-high 419 yards. He completed 36 of 47 passes with four touchdowns and no interceptions.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/10/sports/story01.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 01:21:57 PM »
I just want to say:   I love that Aloha Stadium!  Coolest place ever in that parking lot.....   Food is great everywhere....the people are awesome!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 01:27:55 PM »
I just want to say:   I love that Aloha Stadium!  Coolest place ever in that parking lot.....   Food is great everywhere....the people are awesome!

It is a great spot.  We also got field turf a couple years ago.  They're putting in new seats too.  There are usually nice trades (except for this past Saturday night.  I was sweating bullets for hours). 

You're right about the food and the people.  I eat garlic fries at every game. 

The only bad thing about the stadium is not enough people go.  We've been barely averaging about 30,000 in a 50,000 seat stadium. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 02:32:14 PM »

and

Dude #1 is 100% right

#2 is full of bullshit... boise state is one of the best teams per size of school in the nation...small school always ranked plus we got the smurf turf.... dude boise state is gonna be a team to reckon with and i predict you see them in the fiesta bowl this year since TCU lost it will all depend on if BSU beats fresno this year and we stay undefeated CHECK OUT BRAD LAU the FB for boise state.. DUDE is THE SHIT..... and he's my best friend from high school... Kid put up 2500 lbs his senior year in 4 lifts. had 21 inch biceps and ran a 4.4 40 yd dash.... KID IS A F*CKING BEAST AND TOOK 2 YEARS TO GO ON A MORMAN MISSION TO SOUTH AMERICA...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 02:56:27 PM »
Dude #1 is 100% right

#2 is full of bullshit... boise state is one of the best teams per size of school in the nation...small school always ranked plus we got the smurf turf.... dude boise state is gonna be a team to reckon with and i predict you see them in the fiesta bowl this year since TCU lost it will all depend on if BSU beats fresno this year and we stay undefeated CHECK OUT BRAD LAU the FB for boise state.. DUDE is THE SHIT..... and he's my best friend from high school... Kid put up 2500 lbs his senior year in 4 lifts. had 21 inch biceps and ran a 4.4 40 yd dash.... KID IS A F*CKING BEAST AND TOOK 2 YEARS TO GO ON A MORMAN MISSION TO SOUTH AMERICA...

Actually #1 is not right.  They don't pass the ball 50 times a game.  More like 35 or 40.   :)  We're actually averaging a little over 100 yards rushing a game.  We had nearly 200 yards rushing on Saturday night.  Attempts don't always equal production.  Colt has fewer attempts than Brady Quinn, but has thrown for more yards and more TDs. 

Don't know anything about Lau, but Ian Johnson is the workhorse at Boise.  He's one of the leading rushers in the country.  Their FB doesn't get many carries. 

Looks like Boise is on track to run the table, but I wouldn't hold my breath on a BCS bid.  Just look how Arkansas leapfrogged Boise in the rankings after beating Auburn, despite the fact Arkansas was unranked the week before. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 03:17:21 PM »
Your right Lau doesnt get many carries but with his size the kid is a great blocking fullback and about every 3 or 4 carries you hear them say something about a block that old Lau put on someone... he runs lineman over like its just practice and linebackers should just run the other way and save themselves the embarresment. Yeah they are saying that if Boise St. goes undefeated this year which is highly likely then they will more then likely get the bid to play in the fiesta. TCU was the first choice out of non confrence teams but they lost already this year which opened the door for the broncos.... And lord knows i gotta give props to the rest of the broncos, as they all play there asses off.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 04:16:45 PM »
Your right Lau doesnt get many carries but with his size the kid is a great blocking fullback and about every 3 or 4 carries you hear them say something about a block that old Lau put on someone... he runs lineman over like its just practice and linebackers should just run the other way and save themselves the embarresment. Yeah they are saying that if Boise St. goes undefeated this year which is highly likely then they will more then likely get the bid to play in the fiesta. TCU was the first choice out of non confrence teams but they lost already this year which opened the door for the broncos.... And lord knows i gotta give props to the rest of the broncos, as they all play there asses off.

They're an outstanding football team.  I heard that 100 percent of their players participate in the voluntary offseason workout program.  That is amazing. 

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 04:20:57 PM »
agreed all they do is pass the ball, although i think timmy could have done bette rif he went to a diff school, wldnt have had teh record but maybe be playing pro. we went to high school together and he was unreal then, but i guess throwing the ball up and praying dosent do well in pro

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 04:37:16 PM »
They're an outstanding football team.  I heard that 100 percent of their players participate in the voluntary offseason workout program.  That is amazing. 

Yeah they all do show up and its volountary.... That is one thing i love about Boise St. no one bleieves they are to good and they all play teamball. One of my top reasons there my favorite team and the fact that im from boise and i played all my high school home games on the smurf turf... A couple of my other high school buddies play on the team to... But yeah i say boise st.. goes somewhere in the the top 15 by the end of the year.. i doubt you see anything higher then 10 because of confrence and also who would vote a team from Idaho higher then 10th in the nation but if we perform the way we are for the next 4 years i believe you will see a change in confrence and also a higher ranking nationaly then 10th but only time will tell..

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »
Yeah they all do show up and its volountary.... That is one thing i love about Boise St. no one bleieves they are to good and they all play teamball. One of my top reasons there my favorite team and the fact that im from boise and i played all my high school home games on the smurf turf... A couple of my other high school buddies play on the team to... But yeah i say boise st.. goes somewhere in the the top 15 by the end of the year.. i doubt you see anything higher then 10 because of confrence and also who would vote a team from Idaho higher then 10th in the nation but if we perform the way we are for the next 4 years i believe you will see a change in confrence and also a higher ranking nationaly then 10th but only time will tell..

Hey truth or fiction:  birds fly onto the field at full speed and die because they think the blue turf is water? 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 04:46:41 PM »
Hey truth or fiction:  birds fly onto the field at full speed and die because they think the blue turf is water? 

In my 3 years playing there and all the games i've been to i've personally never seen it, but i have heard this rumor to.... I believe it is just a rumor... how many regular birds can you think of that dive bomb water. And the campus and football field are right next to the boise river... but what i can tell you is that opponents drive in there and rush the field only to rush themselves to their own massacre......

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 04:54:17 PM »
In my 3 years playing there and all the games i've been to i've personally never seen it, but i have heard this rumor to.... I believe it is just a rumor... how many regular birds can you think of that dive bomb water. And the campus and football field are right next to the boise river... but what i can tell you is that opponents drive in there and rush the field only to rush themselves to their own massacre......

lol.   ;D  Thanks.  UH almost rolled away with a victory a few weeks ago.  So close.  I think last year's loss to Boise at Aloha Stadium was the most disappointing loss of the year for me (and we lost a lot of games last year).   :'(  I think we'll beat you guys next year in Hawaii, if Colt comes back.