Author Topic: Adrian Peterson  (Read 7029 times)

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
Adrian Peterson
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:53:15 PM »
The best running back in the NFL...hands down. Forget LT, forget Westbrook... Peterson is amazing. LT and Westbrook may be better pass catchers, but as far as running the ball, there's nobody I'd rather have in the   backfield. If Minnesota ever gets a passing game, they'll be dangerous. And I thought the Vikings should have taken Brady Quinn (who by the way is the next Rick Mirer no matter how good a game he had in his first start). It's a good thing I'm not a general manager.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Adrian Peterson
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:52:42 AM »
Hard to disagree...

He is in a word.....special.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »
Great player.  Glad I drafted him over Westbrook.   :)

body88

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:34:30 PM »
The best running back in the NFL...hands down. Forget LT, forget Westbrook... Peterson is amazing. LT and Westbrook may be better pass catchers, but as far as running the ball, there's nobody I'd rather have in the   backfield. If Minnesota ever gets a passing game, they'll be dangerous. And I thought the Vikings should have taken Brady Quinn (who by the way is the next Rick Mirer no matter how good a game he had in his first start). It's a good thing I'm not a general manager.

Matt Cassel = Viking in 2009, bank it.  Cassel is turning into a very good player.  He outplayed Trent Edwards last week, and has numbers on par with Matt Ryan and Trent Edwards.  He will only improve.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »
i agree he's incredible, used to love watching him at Oklahoma.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »
great for sure but i don't see him having a long career

seems injury prone

E
E

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »
so much easier to game plan against ap...

ill take wb anyday

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »
great for sure but i don't see him having a long career

seems injury prone

E
I can see this he definetly is not an every down back, but you get him into the right situation ala something similar to tennesee or even new orleans and his career becomes not only much more stellar but longer as well.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 07:38:53 AM »
If that team had a QB and a consistent passing game, the Vikings would be deadly on offense.

They could bury teams with play action to their WR's or flare passes to AP in the flat.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 07:55:17 AM »
Could be,should be,would be...
he's only a couple of years in.lets see how his career develops before we anoint him one of the greats ;)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
dude, if you can't tell that AP has the goods, even in only his second season, then you're not watching football correctly.

This kid has the ability to be an all-time great. But I do agree with him being injury-prone. But that's only because he likes to dish out hits when running with the football. That will change as he gets a little older. He's only 23 and full of piss and vinegar on the football field. He has to be more selective in deciding when to lower his helmet and when to step out of bounds.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »

Matt Cassel = Viking in 2009, bank it.  Cassel is turning into a very good player.  He outplayed Trent Edwards last week, and has numbers on par with Matt Ryan and Trent Edwards.  He will only improve.

There goes body88 again, throwing another NE reference in a thread about something totally different.

Any thoughts on AP, Body88? Because I sure as shit don't care about Matt Cassel. :)

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »

better than westbrook?

i dunno about that.

he has the ability to be the best running back in the league, there is little doubt about that. he's a good combination of scat and a guy who isn't afraid to punish you at the end of a run.

if you look at him from a utility standpoint, i would have to say westbrook is the best back in the NFL, possibly one of the best players in the NFL. he's a guy that makes his whole team better. when he plays the eagles win. when he doesn't they lose, and it isn't because they lack players at the skilled positions like minnisota.
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 02:36:26 PM »
I can see this he definetly is not an every down back, but you get him into the right situation ala something similar to tennesee or even new orleans and his career becomes not only much more stellar but longer as well.

his running style may have an impact on his longevity.

he doesn't run downhill like a marion barber, but isn't shy of contact.

his style reminds me alot of chris dickerson, very upright and mobile, not compact like say an emmitt smith.

i agree with UITG- if they could line him up and have a qb who could make completions it would lengthen his career considerably and make him a more versatile weapon out of the back field.

b

body88

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 09:19:13 PM »
There goes body88 again, throwing another NE reference in a thread about something totally different.

Any thoughts on AP, Body88? Because I sure as shit don't care about Matt Cassel. :)

Actually I said Cassel would be a good choice for the Vikings as a starting qb, when another poster talked about how they needed a passing game.  Not  to concerned with what you care for my friend  :)  Derek Anderson or Cassel will turn the Vikes into a contender in 09.

I have said Peterson was a monster since day one. He runs a little high, but he is so gifted that he can overpower most players who try to tackle him.  He is the complete package.  Peterson has to run a little high to run the way he does.....he trucks people.

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 11:52:21 PM »
AP reminds me of Terrel Davis, a former Bronco

Hardnosed, breaks tackles but hits homeruns when given space.

I love it, but give him 6-7years max.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 06:02:04 AM »
Westbrook and AP are both fantastic RB's but in my opinion you have to go out and do it game after game,year after year to be considered great.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 07:27:59 AM »
Brandon Jacobs though is the most punishing and bruising back since Tony Dorsett..

G-MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »
better than westbrook?

Ya i do think he's more of an impact player than Westbrook; the most special RB now. Reminds me of OJ more than TDavis. Only the injury potential's gonna limit him, just as Terrell Davis and Bo were actually the 2 best backs of the last 2 decades or so but couldn't avoid injury. Both of those guys actually had more impact on games than others who got more hype because they had longer careers.

Westbrook and AP are both fantastic RB's but in my opinion you have to go out and do it game after game,year after year to be considered great.

Hard to say; Gale Sayers, Bo and T Davis were top 10 all-time and great without having long careers. Of course longevity's part of it but then again there were some RBs with longevity and very good numbers who weren't great.

One of THE top RBs in the NFL right now doesn't even play much, Ahmed Bradshaw of the Giants, due to other players in front of him and off-field hijinks he's been involved with.

Cassel would be a very good acquisition by another team but i don't see NE willing to give him up any time soon unless forced to. Vikings should've addressed the QB situation sooner, have to get someone at least competent to have a decent shot in future.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 09:53:56 AM »
Actually I said Cassel would be a good choice for the Vikings as a starting qb, when another poster talked about how they needed a passing game.  Not  to concerned with what you care for my friend  :)  Derek Anderson or Cassel will turn the Vikes into a contender in 09.

I have said Peterson was a monster since day one. He runs a little high, but he is so gifted that he can overpower most players who try to tackle him.  He is the complete package.  Peterson has to run a little high to run the way he does.....he trucks people.

take it easy. I was just busting balls. As Paulie Walnuts would say, "don't get cunty!"

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 10:10:37 AM »
Ya i do think he's more of an impact player than Westbrook; the most special RB now. Reminds me of OJ more than TDavis. Only the injury potential's gonna limit him, just as Terrell Davis and Bo were actually the 2 best backs of the last 2 decades or so but couldn't avoid injury. Both of those guys actually had more impact on games than others who got more hype because they had longer careers.

Hard to say; Gale Sayers, Bo and T Davis were top 10 all-time and great without having long careers. Of course longevity's part of it but then again there were some RBs with longevity and very good numbers who weren't great.

Cassel would be a very good acquisition by another team but i don't see NE willing to give him up any time soon unless forced to.

you have to look at why he is more of an impact player than westbrook- it isn't his skill set, which is great- i'm not debating that- it's the franchise he plays that makes his impact seem that much more noticeable than other backs around the league.

basically, he's the franchise right now- the only skill position player of note on that team, so most definitely he is making a huge impact in minnesota.

as for cassels i agree with you. NE won't get rid of him any time soon. he knows the system, can proven he can play in it and has shown his value. what they could get for him doesn't outweigh the fact you have a good QB tandem in NE now. injuries around the league have proven the worth of a back- up quarterback who can come in and manage games. cassel's value to NE in those roles far exceeds what they could get for him on a open market.

and truthfully, i don't think he is good enough yet to start in this league for a team that doesn't have the system built around him the way NE does. he's played 9 games for a team that has won 3 superbowls in 4 years, that should have won the superbowl last year, and set another record for going 16-0 a feat we'll prolly never see duplicate in this lifetime- and now people believe he's good enough to start in the NFL next year? please...

b

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 11:09:37 AM »
you have to look at why he is more of an impact player than westbrook- it isn't his skill set, which is great- i'm not debating that- it's the franchise he plays that makes his impact seem that much more noticeable than other backs around the league.

Actually i think he's both more of an impact player AND has better skills. He reminds of OJ in being naturally able to put big-time space between he and defenders rather effortlessly. Westbrook's superb, a star but not quite a superstar IMO.

as for cassels, i don't think he is good enough yet to start in this league for a team that doesn't have the system built around him the way NE does. and now people believe he's good enough to start in the NFL next year? please...

It's speculation to assume that a player's performance is mainly due to a system when in fact the guy's skills and the system are intertwined and impossible to separate.

Secondly, once in a system a good QB's typically going to import that system mentality and performance to any subsequent team he goes to, regardless of whether the new team's schemes are different.

Bottom line he's already at least in the middle of the pack of NFL QBs or higher, that's the reality. Because rrelatively few NFL QBs are really that good, there's more crap QBs starting for various teams than really good ones. IMO he could already outdo plenty of the crap, couldn't play as bad as some of the starters. Don't glorify the position of "starting NFL QB" when in fact there's always been plenty of examples of poor ones starting. The poor ones can even have rather long careers relative to their skills thanks to a dearth of good ones in the league.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »

his style reminds me alot of chris dickerson, very upright and mobile, not compact like say an emmitt smith.

you mean eric dickerson? but yeah i agree w/ you.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »
Actually i think he's both more of an impact player AND has better skills. He reminds of OJ in being naturally able to put big-time space between he and defenders rather effortlessly. Westbrook's superb, a star but not quite a superstar IMO.

It's speculation to assume that a player's performance is mainly due to a system when in fact the guy's skills and the system are intertwined and impossible to separate.

Secondly, once in a system a good QB's typically going to import that system mentality and performance to any subsequent team he goes to, regardless of whether the new team's schemes are different.

Bottom line he's already at least in the middle of the pack of NFL QBs or higher, that's the reality. Because rrelatively few NFL QBs are really that good, there's more crap QBs starting for various teams than really good ones. IMO he could already outdo plenty of the crap, couldn't play as bad as some of the starters. Don't glorify the position of "starting NFL QB" when in fact there's always been plenty of examples of poor ones starting. The poor ones can even have rather long careers relative to their skills thanks to a dearth of good ones in the league.

right- it isn't the team then- it's the QB.

so cassel would have san fransico at 6-3 or oakland at 6-3.

the only reason NE is at 6-3 isn't because of cassel but because of NE. this is inarguable.
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
you mean eric dickerson? but yeah i agree w/ you.

lol. yeah, him too :)
b