Author Topic: Will McNabb play another season as an Eagle?  (Read 2846 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Will McNabb play another season as an Eagle?
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:26:26 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3792517

PHILADELPHIA -- Tired of answering questions about his future with the Philadelphia Eagles, Donovan McNabb would rather get a new contract than play for a new team.

"Everybody wants a new deal," McNabb said Wednesday. "But, that's not why we're playing this game. We're playing this game to win and things happen. I've been answering this question the last couple of years, so I guess to eliminate that part of it, hopefully [a new contract] will happen, but we'll see."

The five-time Pro Bowl quarterback could be playing his final game with the Eagles (8-6-1) when they host the Dallas Cowboys (9-6) on Sunday. It almost seemed certain this would be McNabb's last season in Philadelphia when he got benched for the first time in his 10-year career on Nov. 23.

But McNabb rebounded strongly from the benching and led the Eagles to three straight wins that put them back in the NFC playoff mix. A devastating loss to Washington last week all-but-eliminated Philly from contention for a wild-card spot. The Eagles have to beat Dallas and need losses by Tampa Bay and Chicago or Minnesota to get in.

No matter, McNabb's future is uncertain. Kevin Kolb, drafted in the second round in 2007 to be McNabb's eventual successor, hasn't done much in limited playing time to prove he's capable of being a top-notch QB. McNabb isn't due to become a free agent anytime soon, so the Eagles would have to trade or release him.

If management decides to rebuild after missing the playoffs for the third time in four years, the 32-year-old McNabb could go. If the decision-makers feel the team only needs to retool its roster to make a Super Bowl run, McNabb probably stays because he's their best option.

"I'm still under contract. I guess it would be solidified by, so I don't have to answer this question, getting a new deal," McNabb said. "I don't truly focus on that. I expect to be here and I will play this game like it's not my last. You just go out and try to put everything on the field and give all your guys that confidence knowing that you're going to sell-out for them."

In 2002, McNabb signed a $115 million, 12-year contract extension that originally took him through the 2013 season. But the last three years of that contract were voided when he reached incentive clauses. The proration on the $20.5 million signing bonus he received runs through 2009. That means only $1.1 million of McNabb's $10.3 million salary-cap number for '09 would count against the Eagles if they traded him.

This has been a season filled with highs and lows for McNabb. He needs 135 yards passing to break his own single-season team-record of 3,875 yards set in 2004 when Terrell Owens was his primary target and the Eagles reached the Super Bowl. But McNabb only played one series the final two games that year because Philadelphia already had secured the NFC's No. 1 seed.

Still, that shouldn't diminish what he's accomplished this season with a receiving corps that lacks anyone close to T.O.'s level. McNabb's completion percentage (60.5) is his third-best and his passer rating (85.3) is his fifth-highest. He has 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Perhaps most impressive considering his recent past is that he hasn't missed a start due to injury for the first time since '04.

"I think I've played great," McNabb said. "I don't look at the stats aspect of it, but if you do, it is better than it has been in years. Offensively, we've been able to do some good things and some things that, obviously, we would love to change. I don't regret any of the things I've done this year and look to do better in this game coming up."
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Will McNabb play another season as an Eagle?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »
They should keep him and get him some more skill position players. 

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 09:55:21 AM »
They should keep him and get him some more skill position players. 
I agree. The one year that he has a marquee receiver he went to a SB.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »
Long overdue to get rid of him-Garcia's play last year showed what a better QB can do. Absolutely no doubt about it. Eagles got rid of the wrong guy, could've gotten good value for Mcnabb. The main reason he didn't go then was his coach's incredible loyalty and faith in him.

It took the coach lighting a fire under his spoiled, protected, unmotivated ass to get him to play well the last month, and it won't last thanks to his streakiness. Mcnabb couldn't believe the coach benched him, after being protected by same coach for years.

The "he needs a great receiver" theory isn't proven-Garcia did fine with the same receivers, so have other good QBs in the past including Montrana for several years before Rice was there.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »
I agree. The one year that he has a marquee receiver he went to a SB.

Yep.  The fact he went to the NFC Championship game three years prior to that with arguably the worst set of skill position players in the NFL was remarkable.

Westbrook is a stud and Jackson appears to be a keeper, so they're a player or two away (WR and TE) from giving him what he needs. 

Also, good NFL QBs are really hard to find.  A rookie QB would be a major step backward.  Not sure who the FA QBs will be?

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »
I think the Eagles are afraid they might get flack if they get rid of him but even with the best players he couldn't stay consistent.  He's not a leader on that team and injuries have plagued him.  They need to commit to a new, younger QB and move on.
Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 12:16:11 PM »
He's benefitted greatly from an incredible degree of protectionism over the years, from the coaching staff, media and some fans.

Few remember the heavy criticism Rush Limbaugh took over his comments about Mcnabb years ago. Limbaugh was extremely accurate in his assessment.

The comments referenced by Limbaugh came during Sunday's pregame show when the conservative talk show host offered the opinion that McNabb wasn't as good as the media perceived him to be.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »
He's benefitted greatly from an incredible degree of protectionism over the years, from the coaching staff, media and some fans.

Few remember the heavy criticism Rush Limbaugh took over his comments about Mcnabb years ago. Limbaugh was extremely accurate in his assessment.

The comments referenced by Limbaugh came during Sunday's pregame show when the conservative talk show host offered the opinion that McNabb wasn't as good as the media perceived him to be.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Very true.  The Eagles will likely get flak from the black community if they get rid of McNabb but it's for the good of the team as far as I see it.  I don't like the Eagles but Garcia was a much better QB for them.  Look at Kerry Collins and Vince Young.  The Titans will likely get rid of Collins and Young could become another McNabb.

Running QBs were supposed to be the future but McNabb, Vick, and now Young and Russell are showing that might not be the case.
Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »

Running QBs were supposed to be the future but McNabb, Vick, and now Young and Russell are showing that might not be the case.

True so far but it's unfair to assume it won't always work. It just looks less compelling now based on most of the QBs like that to date. Doesn't mean it'll always be so, someone with better skills and football smarts can do better.

The best example of what could be accomplished with someone better would be McNair of the Titans. Very very good QB, better than those guys while still using their approach-he ran in the SB as well as any QB ever had, but used it in smarter ways. Also better able to understand when to throw instead and then to throw more effectively than the others did.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »
Race has nothing to do with whether McNabb stays in Philly. 

Aside from Brady, which NFL QBs have been more successful than McNabb over the past eight years?  His only major flaw has been injuries.  Other than that, he has won.  Getting to the NFC Championship game four times in what was the toughest conference in the NFL was pretty darn good, especially when you consider that his WRs and TEs were terrible.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »
Race has nothing to do with whether McNabb stays in Philly. 

Aside from Brady, which NFL QBs have been more successful than McNabb over the past eight years?  His only major flaw has been injuries.  Other than that, he has won.  Getting to the NFC Championship game four times in what was the toughest conference in the NFL was pretty darn good, especially when you consider that his WRs and TEs were terrible.

You can have him. The Eagles have not done as well as they could've with someone better.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »
True so far but it's unfair to assume it won't always work. It just looks less compelling now based on most of the QBs like that to date. Doesn't mean it'll always be so, someone with better skills and football smarts can do better.

The best example of what could be accomplished with someone better would be McNair of the Titans. Very very good QB, better than those guys while still using their approach-he ran in the SB as well as any QB ever had, but used it in smarter ways. Also better able to understand when to throw instead and then to throw more effectively than the others did.
I agree.  I was able to watch a couple of the players I mentioned in person and it seems that, unlike McNair or Steve Young, they didn't have the patience to let their good arms do the work and immediately went to the ground game.  The mobility a lot of these QBs have can be useful in throwing and not just running.  Tebow got pigeon holed into running and when he stopped people thought he lost a step but it will be smart if he wants to make it in the NFL.  One running QB that would have done well barring injury would have been Culpepper.  When he was injury free he was great but age and LBs catch up with you after awhile.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »

You can have him. The Eagles have not done as well as they could've with someone better.

The Eagles overachieved with McNabb at QB.  Aside from Brady, name me one QB who has been more successful than McNabb with the same quality skill position players over the last ten years.  I'm pretty sure he won more games as a starter during that period than anyone except Brady and Manning.

In addition to winning, he made the Pro Bowl five times during that period.     

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 03:51:11 PM »
The Eagles overachieved with McNabb at QB.  Aside from Brady, name me one QB who has been more successful than McNabb with the same quality skill position players over the last ten years.  I'm pretty sure he won more games as a starter during that period than anyone except Brady and Manning.

In addition to winning, he made the Pro Bowl five times during that period.     

The proof's right there-they did better with another QB last year with the same team. Nothing else needs be said, it's about as obvious as it gets.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »

The proof's right there-they did better with another QB last year with the same team. Nothing else needs be said, it's about as obvious as it gets.

They went to the NFC Championship game last year?  News to me.  McNabb took five guys named Moe there four times. 

I'll ask again, which QBs were more successful than McNabb in the NFL over the last ten years other than Brady and Manning? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 10:43:22 AM »
McNabb has now led his team to the NFC Championship game 5 times in the past 8 years. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 10:50:37 AM »
if the eagles lose everybody will go back to hating him

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »
lol.  True. 

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »
if the eagles lose everybody will go back to hating him

E

LOL.
HAHA, RON.....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 10:45:35 AM »
I think this question has been answered.

Richer McNabb targets Super Bowl

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Donovan McNabb mentioned the Super Bowl five times in a 14-minute news conference discussing his reworked contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

McNabb got a big raise. Now the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback wants to deliver that elusive championship.

"With the type of team that we have, I think it's important that we focus in on what we have to do in order to achieve that common goal, and that's obviously to win a Super Bowl," McNabb said Friday.

McNabb and the Eagles agreed late Thursday to restructure the final two years of his contract instead of extending his current deal. McNabb will collect $24.5 million over the next two seasons, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press. That's a $5.3 million raise over two years.

"Both sides wanted to get something done," coach Andy Reid said. "We thought it needed to be done. Donovan warranted this. There are very few players or situations where a player is far enough along in his career, and then his contract, where he warrants something like this. We felt Donovan was in that situation."

McNabb made it clear last season he wanted a new deal. The two sides agreed on a pay raise instead of an extension mainly because of the uncertainty surrounding the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, which expires after the 2010 season.

"What goes on in the NFL over the next couple of years here, that's an unknown right now," Reid said. "Rather than to do (an extension), let's take care of it right now with the years remaining on his contract. We'll worry about the future as we come up here."

The message is simple: The time to win is now.

McNabb is up for the challenge. With third-year pro Kevin Kolb waiting in the background, the 32-year-old McNabb may not be on the verge of retirement, but he knows the window of opportunity doesn't stay open forever in the NFL.

"I looked at it in the sense that it's in these two years, our focus is to win the Super Bowl and anything past that, it will take care of itself," McNabb said. "At this particular point, in these two years, we feel like we can get the job done."

The Eagles have come close several times in McNabb's 10 seasons in Philadelphia. He's led the Eagles to the NFC championship game five times, including last season. They've advanced to the Super Bowl once with McNabb at quarterback, losing to New England in 2005.

McNabb has an improved supporting cast to work with this year. It could be Philadelphia's best all-around offense since Terrell Owens played here. The Eagles, who scored a franchise-record 416 points last year, added three weapons in the draft: wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, running back LeSean McCoy and tight end Cornelius Ingram. They also acquired two-time Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters and signed versatile offensive lineman Stacy Andrews.

"It's hard to really assess that at this particular point," McNabb said when asked about the new-look offense. "Everybody looks good in shorts. It's going to take time."

Seven months ago, it was difficult to imagine McNabb and Reid would be sitting together talking about a new contract. McNabb's future with the team seemed in doubt after he was benched for the first time in his career during halftime of a 10-7 game at Baltimore on Nov. 23. With McNabb watching from the sideline, the Eagles completely unraveled and were routed 36-7.

But McNabb returned for the next game against Arizona and was outstanding down the stretch. He helped the Eagles overcome daunting odds to make the playoffs, and took them to the NFC title game against the Cardinals after two road victories against Minnesota and the New York Giants. The Eagles fell short in Arizona, losing 32-25. Though he was sensational in leading the team back from an 18-point halftime deficit, McNabb took heat for the loss because of a poor first half.

He's put that game behind him and is eager to finish the job.

"I'm comfortable at this point because of the team that we have and the confidence level in which we're continuing to have at this particular point," McNabb said. "Going into training camp, guys are excited about what we can do."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/06/11/mcnabb.deal.ap/index.html

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »

That was three years ago and what has Garcia done since? Plus Garcia didn't get them to the NFC Championship game so how can you say he did better? McNabb is the best QB in the NFC, hands down with no running game (the Eagles just don't run) and no big time wide recievers. Plus Garcia had a healthy Dontae Stallworth that year when McNabb didn't when he was healthy.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »
They went to the NFC Championship game last year?  News to me.  McNabb took five guys named Moe there four times. 

I'll ask again, which QBs were more successful than McNabb in the NFL over the last ten years other than Brady and Manning? 

There hasn't been anyone... McNabb is easily a top 5 QB in the league. No doubt about it.