Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 726011 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #1425 on: January 01, 2016, 02:30:56 PM »
looked very powerful. I am still amazed even now of how thick and dense John Grimek was.

grimek was ridiculous as a teenager back in new jersey...he had to stop training legs so they won't grow out of proportion to the rest of him.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1426 on: January 04, 2016, 06:55:18 AM »
grimek was ridiculous as a teenager back in new jersey...he had to stop training legs so they won't grow out of proportion to the rest of him.
I also read he was a great fan of Dancing too.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1427 on: January 04, 2016, 08:13:26 AM »
I DO A TEN AND 5 ON THESES AND I'M SMOKED HE'S DOING A 25 PLATE

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1428 on: January 04, 2016, 10:38:18 AM »
I DO A TEN AND 5 ON THESES AND I'M SMOKED HE'S DOING A 25 PLATE
john grimek also held the record for most weight using the weaver stick 11 and three quarter lbs.... a weaver stick is 36 inches long...
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1429 on: January 04, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »
the weaver stick
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1430 on: January 10, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »
if you build it they will come... :D :D :D :D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1431 on: January 14, 2016, 10:10:31 AM »
i don't think this pic  appeared in the 58 odd pages.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1432 on: January 14, 2016, 06:25:09 PM »
Thanks, FUNK! I'm mainly interested in that photo simply due to the fact that it and many others was taken by my good friend ARTY ZELLER.

Arty had many an interesting story to tell regarding all the years he was involved within the world of bodybuilding and  shooting bodybuilders (with a camera) but I might someday tell you the story that has never been told when Arty was threatened to be shot with something other than a Brownie, a Polaroid, or any camera of any type.

But in an effort to protect the guilty, I must refrain.

Arty had a lot to do with the initial success of Steve Reeves whom never had a cold nor a cavity (according to his mom). (Something else that most likely has never been 'revealed'.)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1433 on: January 16, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »
Thanks, FUNK! I'm mainly interested in that photo simply due to the fact that it and many others was taken by my good friend ARTY ZELLER.

Arty had many an interesting story to tell regarding all the years he was involved within the world of bodybuilding and  shooting bodybuilders (with a camera) but I might someday tell you the story that has never been told when Arty was threatened to be shot with something other than a Brownie, a Polaroid, or any camera of any type.

But in an effort to protect the guilty, I must refrain.

Arty had a lot to do with the initial success of Steve Reeves whom never had a cold nor a cavity (according to his mom). (Something else that most likely has never been 'revealed'.)
or a pimple according to legend.... would like to hear those stories... :D

F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1434 on: January 16, 2016, 06:01:08 PM »
FUNK, I can't recall Steve's mom ever mentioning a pimple, but she did say he never had a cold nor a cavity which was verified by a couple of his classmates whom I met as a young kid in Rio Nido .. a summer resort area on the Russian River 72 miles north of the San Fran Bay Area .... the summer hotspot for every kid who was raised within the northern parts of California which included Reeves and many of his classmates.

Some of you GetBig 'Aristocrats" may be familiar with the Bohemian Club/Grove within the Redwoods of the Russian River, the likes of which Steve never had the opportunity to be a member of .... which included 'me neither'.

Check it out if you dare!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1435 on: January 25, 2016, 07:16:42 AM »
 ;D
F

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1436 on: January 30, 2016, 07:49:07 AM »
Here is a fun video from the late 1940's.  According to another site it has John Grimek, Steve Reeves, and George Eiferman, among others, in it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=_eTxgCnGnMs&ebc=ANyPxKpjNeRC_jfnTadr9jtU-VQrqjUoNurRFJS0zlAgxeIQPYK_-oNvycat5DZs9bgLAiDIRj7lTgVqNpfWZCteOoLurg8H9Q 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1437 on: January 31, 2016, 06:42:49 AM »
a new website covering muscle beach=musclebeach.net
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1438 on: January 31, 2016, 09:55:59 AM »
Funk, thanks! I'll take a look at it.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1439 on: March 18, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »
Funny stuff. Grimek was known for not training his legs.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1440 on: April 13, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
here's a new old pic=honest john's hamburger stand..
F

NicholeMarisol

• Getbig I
« Reply #1441 on: April 25, 2016, 11:48:06 PM »
Beach history is very nice stunt movie, i really appreciating..thanks for sharing the nice information...!!!!

http://www.nutri-verse.com/brands/Blackstone-Labs.html

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1442 on: April 26, 2016, 07:53:47 AM »
Thanks for the "thanks', Nicole!

And thanks to all uou other GetBiggers who have been contributing to this topic.

FUNK, your most recent ..... I think that the bulky bicep-flexer just might be Mac Bachelor, but that is a far out guess.

I dont recognize any of the others in that photo but the guy sitting in the beach chair looks like he could have been Arty Zeller's father.

And it looks like that commercial space behind them was converted into a fast chicken food window service operation back in the mid 1970's.

But with regards to each of the above ... it's possible that I could be wrong.

Can you ID anyone in that photo? And where did you find it?

mofo1960

• Getbig II
« Reply #1443 on: May 31, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
FUNK.... Thanks for posting those photos with Waller and Dave on the pachyderms. . I believe that Rudy was there that weekend but I never did see him on the elephant during the parade.

I failed to mention that Ken Sprague even had a Mr America newspaper printed for that AAU weekend.

And the warm up area backstage had the latest gym equipment known to man at that time. And it was all chrome plated.

And that high school symphony orchestra was icing on the cake.

Oh yea.... I forgot to mention that the pancake house down the street was overloaded with the competitors keepng the pancake chefs extremely busy.

That was the favored pre-contest meal back then (in them good old days).

Stunt, here is a better angle showing Rudy behind Dave. I interviewed them all, plus Bill Lomas, who organized the parade and had the floats built for Ken Sprague.
 I am slowly making progress on the documentary covering the history of that parade, Golds, and my time there as a young teen.

Marc

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1444 on: May 31, 2016, 08:15:08 PM »
Sorry,  you all.  Been involved  and too busy till mid month.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1445 on: June 07, 2016, 06:58:31 AM »
An early Weider ad; my guess is from early-to-mid 1950's:

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1446 on: June 09, 2016, 06:52:47 AM »
Not sure who this guy is, maybe Jack LaLanne?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1447 on: June 09, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »
Not sure who this guy is, maybe Jack LaLanne?
looks like him

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1448 on: June 10, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »
REPS/FLEX, Yes ... that is a very young Jack LaLanne.

Back around that time Jack had a gym in a very old building on Market Street in San Francisco ... but his claim for fame was his ability to pull boat loads of people across the San Francisco Bay .... one of which I believe was a succesful swim across the Bay under the Golden Gate Bridge while pulling an occupied boat and another which was a successful swim from Alcatraz to some part of the city of San Francisco.

All of which received enough attention to star in his own  Bay Area personal trainer TV show which proved be a major success back in the 1950's when Wynn Paris got involved somehow  which lead to the success of a number of 'gyms/spas' up and down the California coastline.

All of the above is based on long term memory so some of  it may be debatable, but should not be considered to be classified as 'bullshit.

.... which brings up a story which is based on even longer term memory but is the truth as far as I can recall .

And YES, I witnessed this personally .... but only from a distance away.

That story follows .....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1449 on: June 10, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »
The following may only be of interest to a very few GetBiggers, but if someday anyone were to write the complete  encyclopedia regarding the World of Bodybuilding it should be included within that encyclopedia under the heqding, “YEA! THIS REALLY DID HAPPEN!”

But first … a little bit of background to set the mood and attempt to take you 21st Century Centurions back to a time when bodybuilders were seldom seen, gyms as we know them today never existed, and the somewhat dreaded personal trainers showed no signs of their eventual arrival, self importance, and popularity.

So ...... There is a city  within the northern section of California called San Francisco where a young kid by the name of Steve used to walk to the top of that city’s seven hills on his  tip-toes in an attempt to  have bigger calves. (Or so that story goes.)                                                  

But no one gave a damn about this kid named Steve ….. simply because no one gave a damn about muscle growth back then except for Steve and a handful of other young guns who wanted bigger calves, or bigger arms, or bigger chest, etc., etc.

This is sort of  the condensed version of how it all began up north in that City by the Bay … .... Walk or run those hils or through those parks or along that dirty beach .... and do it in in some unique manner…. until you were either bigger, faster, or stronger than the kid next door who most likely lacked the 'secret' of how to  get it done.

So back in them god old days, a kid had to do it with whatever nature provided simply due to the fact there were no gyms in this city of the Seven Hils that a decent kid would ever consider entering.

Sure …. there was LaLanne’s down on Market Street which seemed to cater to a much older gfoup of overweight citizens who picked up heavy things and put them back down (but never in the correct location).

And there was the downtown YMCA for those who preferred being bulked up odd-lifters of one sort or another. These characters would soon be known as powerlifters and garner world wide reputations and most likely still do to this very day.

And then there was a mid-town Yoga ‘Gym” owned by Walt Baptiste above a well known auto showcase on Lombard  ...... but anything resembling heavy objects that one could lift over one’s head were somewhat scare and hard to find.

And NoCal had its very own Muscle Beach called China Beach which 99% of  the NoCal population had never heard of.

So China Beach was seldom visited by any individual who lifted heavy things and it eventually became a long forgotten memory as far as being somewhat muscle related.

But before the 1950's ended something long forgotten happened which resulted in the opening of something new within the muscle related world.

To the best of my knowledge it was the grand opening of Vic Tanny's gym on Market Street in San Francisco which was unique in that it was clean and bright.

And everything was chrome plated!!

Wow!!

But no one in there at first knew what a "rep" or a "set" was!

And soon thereafter a US President by the name of Kennedy spoke a few forgotten words on national TV that somehow got part of the US citizenship to do some exercises on a semi-regular basis.

And that’s when shit began to happen  within the northern regions of California.

Bodybuilding ‘shit’ that is!

A gym of some sort sprang up in every neighborhood.

American Health Studios was my preference and is the place where I firstmet  Steve (the tip-toe kid I mentioned earlier).

But way down south in the Los Angels region ….. they were years ahead of us up north.

Years earlier on a small strip of beach in Santa Monica …. Muscle Beach had grabbed a foot-hold and had already become a major tourist attraction and somewhat of a headache for the ‘City Fathers’ who seemed to want something different for the ‘endearment’ of their ‘fair city’.

More to follow ...the "Yea! This really did happen part!"