Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Training Q&A

The effects of different rep ranges

<< < (4/7) > >>

mental_masturbator:
Nice article.  Fred Hatfield wrote about this sort of holistic rep range back in the '80's.  He recommended doing sets of 4-6, 12-15, and even a couple of 40+ rep sets all done with different cadences.  Seemed pretty radical at the time compared to the typical brain-dead bodybuilder routines being printed in the muscle rags, e.g. 4 sets of 8-12 reps for 3 or 4 exercises per bodypart/muscle group. 

IMO training at 90% or higher of your max for an extended time invites over-training, (seems to happen to me after a few months, anyway...).

dj181:
Is it the actual number of reps in a set that determine muscle mass increases, or the time that it takes to complete the set? For example, I can complete roughly 12 reps til failure in the DB row in about 20 secs, but I if I train BB curls til failure, then I can only complete about 6 reps in this same 20 sec time frame, due to the longer distance that the bar has to move in regards to rows vs. curls.

JasonH:
My body responds better to higher reps in the 10-15 rep range.

Unfortunately, it's only taken me about 15 years to figure this out because I was obsessed with the notion that low-rep heavy duty one set max training a la Mike Mentzer and Dorian Yates was the way to go.

Good article though.

the anabolic mon:

--- Quote from: pumpster on June 28, 2009, 12:47:29 PM ---Apparently you can try a plan of different exercises and from the results find out how much of you is fast or slow twitch, as one example. That would effect one's efficiency for high or lower reps, though that's also a psychological preference not just physical.

--- End quote ---

Another option is after a 8-10 rep warm up set of 60%RM, 1 low rep set in the 85-90%RM range, and remaining sets at 60-80%RM. Try several different rep schemes to see what works for you.

GET_BIGGER:
Thanks, that was a great read.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version