Author Topic: natural training styles and frequency  (Read 14029 times)

jakeflips

• Getbig II
natural training styles and frequency
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:16:47 PM »
I thought this would be a good topic for this board.  I know this should probably be in the training boards, but I want to hear what other naturals do.  There are thousands of different methods and ideas towards styles of training and training frequency, but what is actually reasonable for the lifter w/o steroids?

So, what kind(s) of training are the most effective (or the favorites) that you guys prefer?  Also, how many times a week do you think is effective for major muscle groups?  And, how many times a week for groups like forearms and calves?

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: natural training styles and frequency
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 08:36:47 AM »
i was training 4 days a week for the last few years and have recently switched to a 3 day routine and my body was telling me to so i did.

here is the spilt
monday
chest
flat dumbell presses  2sets 10-8
incline hammer presses  3 sets 10-8
dumbell pull overs         3x12
back
barbell rows            2sets 10-8
chin ups                  3sets 10-8
barbell deads            3sets 15-12-10

wensday
shoulders
machine presses  2sets 10-8
standing one arm sides  2sets 10-8
standing rear raises  2sets 10-8
machine shrugs        2x12
biceps
one arm preacher curls  2sets 10-8
standing cable hammer curls 2sets 12-10
tricep push downs               2sets  12-8
lying e-z bar ext                  2x10
forearms                         2sets 10-8

friday
legs
leg ext         3sets 15-12-10
squats          2sets  12-10-8   first a warm up
stiff barbell deads 3sets 12-10-8
calves
seated calves raises  2sets 10-8
standing calve raises 2sets 12-10
abs
cable leg lifts          2x25
cable side bends      2x25 
cable crunches         2x25

tuesday thursday saturaday and sunday are rest days i do cardio monday wensday and friday morning before breakfast followed by abs...

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 03:42:25 PM »
i find this works best for me:

monday:
  chest/calves

tues:
  back/forearms

weds:
  heavy legs (hams, quads, calves)

Thurs:
  shoulders, traps

Fri:
  biceps/triceps

Sat:  (miscellanous day)
  lighter legs, forearms, traps

AVBG

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 03:58:37 PM »
Monday: Shoulders
Tuesday: Quads
Wednesday: Arms
Thursday: Hamstrings
Friday: Chest
Saturday:Back
Sunday: REST

15-20 sets per bodypart... no less than 10 reps per exercise and no less than 15 reps for legs

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 04:14:31 PM »
Monday: Shoulders
Tuesday: Quads
Wednesday: Arms
Thursday: Hamstrings
Friday: Chest
Saturday:Back
Sunday: REST

15-20 sets per bodypart... no less than 10 reps per exercise and no less than 15 reps for legs

excellent advice

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 04:47:11 PM »
Mon:Biceps/Forearms/Cardio
Tues:Back/Abs
Wed:Shoulders/Cardio
Thurs:Chest/Abs
Friday:Triceps/Cardio
Sat:Pull ups/Abs
Sun:Off

Ive been doing this kind of training for about 3 months now and its working well.  I do cardio about every other day after my workout.  I dont do crazy cardio just enough to stay in shape and bring up my heart rate..so I just jog around the block.  Everyone is different with how much cardio they need.  Besides cardio.. I also walk I'm sure about 3-4 miles a day while going to school. I dont drive so I walk almost everywhere. I usually do about 3 exercises per bodypart with no more than 10 reps.  I try to go heavy with most of my lifts. I plan on training harder once I finish school and make more money.  For now this works for me.

jakeflips

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 09:02:38 PM »
Good posts.  I thought this topic would be very interesting because of all the differentiation you hear of when it comes to rep range, total number of sets, and number of workouts per bodypart in each week.

I think once a week on most muscle groups is fine, however I have done everything twice a week and seen great results.  However, I think this type of training cannot be done for long periods of time (over a month or so).  Also, I have been doing calves almost everytime I'm in the gym.

I like to change my rep ranges around from time to time, just depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Also, I know that the Max OT style of training is growing more popular, but I just can't make myself do that few of sets (and reps!) at every workout.  I am a believer in volume training, like AVBG said, with more sets.

Just figured I'd throw my two cents in, since I started the topic and everything!

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 07:47:34 AM »
Mon:Biceps/Forearms/Cardio
Tues:Back/Abs
Wed:Shoulders/Cardio
Thurs:Chest/Abs
Friday:Triceps/Cardio
Sat:Pull ups/Abs
Sun:Off

Ive been doing this kind of training for about 3 months now and its working well.  I do cardio about every other day after my workout.  I dont do crazy cardio just enough to stay in shape and bring up my heart rate..so I just jog around the block.  Everyone is different with how much cardio they need.  Besides cardio.. I also walk I'm sure about 3-4 miles a day while going to school. I dont drive so I walk almost everywhere. I usually do about 3 exercises per bodypart with no more than 10 reps.  I try to go heavy with most of my lifts. I plan on training harder once I finish school and make more money.  For now this works for me.

are you in a wheelchair? or just a pussy?

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »
Eric Broser's power/rep range/shock training worked very well for me earlier this year.

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 06:39:21 PM »
are you in a wheelchair? or just a pussy?

no.. I am trying something different type training.  This works for me and I make good gains.  Thanks for asking.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 07:38:23 PM »
Four days a week:

1. chest and back
2. Quads and Hams
3. Shoulders and Arms
4. Light full body training

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 04:58:29 AM »

no.. I am trying something different type training.  This works for me and I make good gains.  Thanks for asking.

well your not working legs, so you cant be that serious about working out then.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 05:29:05 AM »

Saturday:  Delts, traps, calves
Sunday:  Quads, Hamstrings
Monday:  Chest, Abs
Tuesday:  Back, Calves
Wednesday:  Quads, Delts, Abs
Thursday:  Biceps, Triceps, Calves
Friday: Off

20-35 sets per muscle (High Volume Baby)

I do both heavy sets (2 - 4 reps) as well as lighter sets (15 - 25 reps).  To be honest I just go in there and start training like a madman, and if I'm done with the plan which I had for the day and I still feel like the muscle is not annihlated yet, then I will just keep going until I'm just spent.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 08:05:07 AM »
basic DC 2 way split works great for me and I've tried a bunch of other stuff, basically monday, wedsday and Friday are the only days I actually weight train.  I might have an extra day for abs and i do cardio during the week.  I've never had a problem with recovery since starting this program.  Split is:

workout 1-chest, shoulders, tri's, back width and thickness

workout 2-bi's, forearms, calves, hamstrings and quads

and you rotate movements for specific bodyparts, heavy as you can for your given rep range using rest pause and a couple of other techniques.  Works great.
nasser=piece of shit

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »
**Hey - many naturals are training w/ a frequency and volume that would put even the most gifted pros on steroids in the ground.

SHould lift less often than the guys that are gassed.

Many young guys would gain MORE if they figured out - HOW LITTLE THEY CAN WORKOUT AND STILL MAKE GAINS!  Yes the Gym is a fun place to go, but if the point is to git big and strong as you can, staying out of the gym longer will do many good.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 01:18:06 PM »
**Hey - many naturals are training w/ a frequency and volume that would put even the most gifted pros on steroids in the ground.

Many young guys would gain MORE if they figured out - HOW LITTLE THEY CAN WORKOUT AND STILL MAKE GAINS!  Yes the Gym is a fun place to go, but if the point is to git big and strong as you can, staying out of the gym longer will do many good.

I disagree - to be honest, you can't set a standard like that.  Everyone is different, I've met guys that can get a full chest work out in 30 mins and be totally set, and they are growing like there is no tomorrow.  Myself and others that I have met need 2 hours sometimes more to really get the best effect.

Everyone is different, do what works for you!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 01:22:42 PM »
I disagree - to be honest, you can't set a standard like that.  Everyone is different, I've met guys that can get a full chest work out in 30 mins and be totally set, and they are growing like there is no tomorrow.  Myself and others that I have met need 2 hours sometimes more to really get the best effect.

2 hrs! Natural or loaded w/ juice - No way.

Your holding back your progress.

You can hit long or hard, not both. You have to hold (way) back to last that long.

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 05:50:45 PM »
well your not working legs, so you cant be that serious about working out then.

yes.. I know.  Thats the only thing I'm not doing.  Why are you so interested in what I'm doing? I will though in the future.  I'm serious about lifting not just training but eating aswell.  I dont miss a day of eating right or training hard.  I'm still young and got many years to go. 

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 06:01:47 PM »
Morris Mendez claims natty status and says he works out 6 days a week 2 hours a day

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 06:18:29 PM »

I agree.  Everyones body reacts different to training.  Some may need only a few exercises and make good gains but others may need to do double that. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »
Morris Mendez claims natty status and says he works out 6 days a week 2 hours a day

Bullshit. He could be Natural in that Pic,But I doubt it. Yes theres freaks.
2 hrs 6 days on is bullshit. He might last a couple weeks like that, then he'd regress.

Marathon workouts get you a marathon runner's body.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »

Sorry bro, I disagree with what you are saying.   I train 6 days a week, 2 hours (every now and then 3 hours).  And I hit it both Long and hard!!!! 

For you to say that you can either do long or hard is not true.  And no I don't hold back during any set at all.  Every one of my sets is done to complete failure, lots of time, past failure!  And I've made my best progress this way.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 09:10:26 PM »

I guess I have a marathon runner's body then....

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 03:32:28 AM »

yes.. I know.  Thats the only thing I'm not doing.  Why are you so interested in what I'm doing? I will though in the future.  I'm serious about lifting not just training but eating aswell.  I dont miss a day of eating right or training hard.  I'm still young and got many years to go. 

your not serious about lifting, if you were..you would be doing grueling leg workouts.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 04:01:45 AM »

its not as simple as that. in bodybuilding the pendulum often swings too far...wether its john defendis crazy volume training ("intensity or insanity") or some extreme abbreviated "hittish" routine.....

many people who are into low volume and heigh intensity often say "less is more" etc...i dont agree 100% with this..
i think loading is a very important factor to make a muscle grow..certainly more important than going to failure. Going to failure too much will reduce the amount of sets you do, and thus reduce potential muscle growth. Im not saying train like a pussy with super light weights....im saying stop 1-2 reps before failure inorder to keep CNS fresh and to be able to do more sets. Certainly no forced reps (only very very rarely when "shocking" the body)

Training volume is also something that needs to be varied, sometimes higher sometimes lower, and the human body can gradually adapt to more volume (which is necessary as the human body needs increased loading as the bodybuilder gets more advanced and ads more muscle).

The training frequency is also often too low in abbreviated routines....if volume goes down it has to for a reason..and one of those reasons should be increased frequency.

if you like working out doing 25sets per body part, your probably not gonna be able to do work that body part (directly) 2 times a week. In theory tho..i think its probably better to work a muscle group more frequently , like 2 times a week, but you have to pay more careful attention to volume (the margin for error is smaller). At the same time i dont believe in the extreme frequency routines like working all muscle groups 4-5 times a week, because inorder to do that you will have to cut volume per session to a ridiculously low level.  Those who are doing these extremely high frequency workout are doing full body splits out of necessity because otherwise the volume would become much too high. Full body workouts are not good for bodybuilding..too few exercises per body part and too low volume per body part (per session). I think there has to be a compromise between frequency and total weekly volume, thats why i say something like working a muscle twice a week should work very well, with a volume of maybe 8-12 sets or so. Remember to avoid failure, and all movements should be smooth and controlled and the training should be pretty fast paced.