Author Topic: >* The New Locker Room *<  (Read 829857 times)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
Re: *****The New Locker Room*****
« Reply #2300 on: October 15, 2008, 03:04:18 PM »
Ehhh, I wouldn't say they are irreversible.  If it's distention caused by enlarged intestinal growth both from food intake and IGF, then they will atrophy over time like any other muscle once you stop eating so much.  It could be a number of factors from visceral abdominal fat or insulin resistance.  The whole "GH" gut thing isn't precisely known as to what causes and what exactly is happening.  Until one of those guys gets an MRI or something we might never know exactly.

How would you explain Mike's "pregnant" look then?

That guy's probably ingested enough GH to support three life extension clinics.

I know that look when I see it and it's sad when a lifter's belly grows out like that.

I might be a part of the Darkside, but I'll never cross over in to the GH/Insulin/IGF-1 side of the pool.....

Those sides are inescapable.....   :-X

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2301 on: October 15, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »
division gh doesnt have any growth properties but when it converts to igf then it does have growth properties and if gh was responsible for the distension then it wouldnt really be gh but the igf that its converting to... so regardless of whats causiing gh gut will NEVER be an accurate term UNLESS some miracle of science discovers a correlation between lipolysis and abdominal distension LOL

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #2302 on: October 15, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »
How would you explain Mike's "pregnant" look then?

That guy's probably ingested enough GH to support three life extension clinics.

DIV

There are plenty of older guys running around with huge guts and lean arms/legs that have never touched GH or even AAS.  Could be due to his age and he could be creeping up on diabetes, or a number of other things.  And as Candi said, GH converts to IGF in the liver which is what causes the growth.  The intestines happen to have the largest amount of receptors, couple that with large amount of food intake and this is why a lot of people suspect GH of being the culprit.  However, we don't really know for sure, as I said it could be insulin resistance, visceral fat buildup in the abdomen, or IGF (if he's still taking GH).  If he's lowered his food intake and stopped taking GH then the intestines will atrophy back to close their previous size.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #2303 on: October 15, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
There are plenty of older guys running around with huge guts and lean arms/legs that have never touched GH or even AAS.  Could be due to his age and he could be creeping up on diabetes, or a number of other things.  And as Candi said, GH converts to IGF in the liver which is what causes the growth.  The intestines happen to have the largest amount of receptors, couple that with large amount of food intake and this is why a lot of people suspect GH of being the culprit.  However, we don't really know for sure, as I said it could be insulin resistance, visceral fat buildup in the abdomen, or IGF (if he's still taking GH).  If he's lowered his food intake and stopped taking GH then the intestines will atrophy back to close their previous size.

I don't see many sedentary guys running around with 10% BF and distended guts......

Only middle-aged former bodybuilders.

You draw your own conclusions.

As for atrophy, have you seen Greg Kovacs lately?

That gut is still huge and it ain't shrinking.......

DIV

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #2304 on: October 15, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »
I don't see many sedentary guys running around with 10% BF and distended guts......

Only middle-aged former bodybuilders.

You draw your own conclusions.

As for atrophy, have you seen Greg Kovacs lately?

That gut is still huge and it ain't shrinking.......

DIV

I see them all the time. I see guys in there 60's and 70's daily who have huge guts, probably wear size 40" pants but should be wearing 48". There guts are huge but look rock hard. Then their legs look like tooth picks and usually their arms are not much better. My late Grandfather was one of these guys. His gut was as hard as concrete, as I kid he would let me punch it all the time, lol! I think the last time I did I was around 15yrs old and he still didn't flinch and I could punch decently by then. He was a heavy drinker and a heavy smoker. No, he was not fat by any means, not at all...his gut was simply distended and rock hard.

These guys exist everywhere.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #2305 on: October 16, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
I see them all the time. I see guys in there 60's and 70's daily who have huge guts, probably wear size 40" pants but should be wearing 48". There guts are huge but look rock hard. Then their legs look like tooth picks and usually their arms are not much better. My late Grandfather was one of these guys. His gut was as hard as concrete, as I kid he would let me punch it all the time, lol! I think the last time I did I was around 15yrs old and he still didn't flinch and I could punch decently by then. He was a heavy drinker and a heavy smoker. No, he was not fat by any means, not at all...his gut was simply distended and rock hard.

These guys exist everywhere.

You know what that means, young Arnold.

You're destined for the Gh gut as well.   :o

DIV

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2306 on: October 17, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »
It's very unattractive.  I suppose that's why he wears super baggy t-shirts.  They must be XXXL.  In fact, I wouldn't know where to get shirts that oversized.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2307 on: October 21, 2008, 08:24:12 AM »
Word from Bismark, ND!

Sitting in the airport bored out of my mind.

About to head back south to the promise land!

Happy pinning my good friends.

8)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2308 on: October 21, 2008, 08:30:18 AM »
Word from Bismark, ND!

Sitting in the airport bored out of my mind.

About to head back south to the promise land!

Happy pinning my good friends.

8)

On our return flight from Chicago we spent about eight hours on stand-by.  :'(

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2309 on: October 21, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »

Pretty small place isn't it?...lol

I just got home and it feels good to be back home again.

8)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2310 on: October 21, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »
Pretty small place isn't it?...lol

I just got home and it feels good to be back home again.

8)

It was driving me crazy. I've got severe anxiety about flying & airports.  :-\

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2311 on: October 21, 2008, 04:40:45 PM »
It was driving me crazy. I've got severe anxiety about flying & airports.  :-\

Yeah i remember your xanax story.

I hate flying, but i love pheasant hunting out in the Dakota's and i sure as hell ain't driving 22 hours from Texas, so i just drink a few and ride it out.

Strangely enough, i enjoy skydiving...lol

8)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2312 on: October 21, 2008, 04:43:52 PM »
Yeah i remember your xanax story.

I hate flying, but i love pheasant hunting out in the Dakota's and i sure as hell ain't driving 22 hours from Texas, so i just drink a few and ride it out.

Strangely enough, i enjoy skydiving...lol

8)

We sat at the airport so long I was taking a valium (or two) about every three hours. Had a few beers with dinner & still couldn't calm down &/or relax (Luckily I called into work the next day). Finally when we got home I fuckin' crashed for about 12 hours.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2313 on: October 21, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »
Talk about some bullshit.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/21/BAUC13L3GQ.DTL&nopu=1

At Women's Marathon, fastest time didn't win

C.W. Nevius

Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Arien O'Connell of New York City didn't register in the e...

There were over 20,000 competitors in Sunday's Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. And 24-year-old Arien O'Connell, a fifth-grade teacher from New York City, ran the fastest time of any of the women.

But she didn't win.

It doesn't get much simpler than a footrace. All it takes is a starting line, a finish line and a clock. You fire the gun and the first person to the end of the course is the winner.

However, as the marathon officials said to O'Connell - not so fast.

While O'Connell had the greatest run of her life and covered the course faster than any woman, she was told she couldn't be declared the winner because she didn't run with the "elite" group who were given a 20-minute head start.

So what could have been a lovely Cinderella story about a young woman rising above her expectations in a race that bills itself as all about empowering women turned into a strict the-rules-are-the-rules edict. That's not the image we're trying to promote here.

San Francisco has become one of those destination locations for the new breed of distance runner. Between the San Francisco Marathon in July and the Nike race - billed as the largest women's marathon in the world - over 40,000 runners will visit this year.

It is great that these events are held here, but they are also representing the city. What we are hoping is that they leave town talking about the terrific location, the great restaurants and the perfectly organized event. Instead, we look like we don't know how to operate a stopwatch.

"That's pretty weak," said Jon Hendershott, associate editor of the authoritative Track and Field News magazine, based in Mountain View. "Think of the PR they could have had with this girl coming out of nowhere. It sounds like they got caught totally off guard."

O'Connell, who describes herself as "a pretty good runner," had never managed to break three hours in five previous marathons. But as soon as she started at 7 a.m. Sunday, she knew it was her day. In fact, when she crossed the finish line 26.2 miles later, her time of 2:55:11 was so unexpectedly fast that she burst into tears.

"I ran my best time by like 12 minutes, which is insane," she said.

At the awards ceremony, the O'Connell clan looked on as the top times were announced and the "elite" female runners stepped forward to accept their trophies.

"They called out the third-place time and I thought, 'I was faster than that,' " she said. "Then they called out the second-place time and I was faster than that. And then they called out the first-place time (3:06), and I said, 'Heck, I'm faster than her first-place time, too.' "

Just to make sure, O'Connell strolled over to a results station and asked a race official to call up her time on the computer. There it was, some 11 minutes faster than the official winner.

"They were just flabbergasted," O'Connell said. "I don't think it ever crossed their minds."

No one seemed exactly sure what to do. The trophies had already been handed out and the official results announced. Now organizers seem to be hoping it will all go away.

"At this point," Nike media relations manager Tanya Lopez said Monday, "we've declared our winner."

O'Connell said some race officials actually implied she'd messed up the seeding by not declaring herself an "elite" runner.

"If you're feeling like you're going to be a leader," race producer Dan Hirsch said Monday, "you should be in the elite pack."

So this is her fault? O'Connell was just being modest.

"I'm a good, solid runner," she said. "I never considered myself elite."

Jim Estes, associate director of the long-distance running program for USA Track and Field, did his best to explain the ruling. He's had some practice with the issue. The Sunday before last, at the Chicago Marathon, a Kenyan named Wesley Korir pulled off a similar surprise, finishing fourth even though he wasn't in the elite group and started five minutes after the top runners.

In that situation, and in this one, Estes made the same ruling: It didn't count. O'Connell wasn't declared the winner and Korir didn't collect fourth-place prize money.

"The theory is that, because they had separate starts, they weren't in the same race," Estes said. "The woman who is winning the elite field doesn't have the opportunity to know she was racing someone else."

Estes admits that giving the elite runners a sizable head start may not be the best policy.

"These are things this race and other races need to look at," Estes said. "It comes down to what a race is, and who is racing who."

Nonsense, said Track and Field News' Hendershott. He said O'Connell took her best shot, ran the fastest and should have won.

"What's she supposed to do, lay back because she's not an elite runner?" he asked. "If the elites are going to lay back, that's their fault."

As for O'Connell, she's not bitter. After all, she got her best time ever, had a nice weekend in San Francisco and comes home with a story.

But she didn't win. Maybe the best way to explain that is to say it is just another case of the elites in San Francisco giving the city a bad name.

C.W. Nevius' column runs Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. E-mail him at cwnevius@sfchronicle.com.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2314 on: October 21, 2008, 07:45:45 PM »

WTF  :o
You could've drove quicker than that.
:

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2315 on: October 22, 2008, 07:10:15 AM »
WTF  :o
You could've drove quicker than that.

I would've rather drove.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #2316 on: October 22, 2008, 05:20:32 PM »
I just fuckin severly pulled or tore my hammy!  :'(

Last set of hams, standing leg curls, left side, loud POP.

Sitting on ice right now, any suggestions or similar experinces bro's? This seems to be an ongoing issue with my hammys the last year or so?!

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #2317 on: October 22, 2008, 05:22:26 PM »

Sitting on ice right now, any suggestions or similar experinces bro's? This seems to be an ongoing issue with my hammys the last year or so?!

Damn man, that sucks!!! :(  Can't say I've had problems with my hams, my shoulder is still fucked up from when I messed my rotator cuff up a little while ago.  I think I'm gonna have to get it cut to get it fixed :/

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #2318 on: October 22, 2008, 05:30:16 PM »
Damn man, that sucks!!! :(  Can't say I've had problems with my hams, my shoulder is still fucked up from when I messed my rotator cuff up a little while ago.  I think I'm gonna have to get it cut to get it fixed :/

Yeah, hope it is not tore so I can avoid the knife..

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2319 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:57 PM »

Any bruising or a lump?

Might want to see an ortho soon just in case.

A small tear or pull shouldn't set you back too much.

8)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2320 on: October 22, 2008, 10:54:52 PM »

R.I.C.E.
for sure and schedule appt/ w/ ortho asap.

It's very important to treat correctly or you risk incomplete or improper healing making reinjury more likely.  To start with, you need to control the swelling, pain, and bleeding.   

Rest is critical.  If you put too much weight on your hammy, more damage may occur and more scar tissue may form.

Ice to control swelling and pain (but doesn't stop it completely). 20-30 minutes 4-5 X/day.

Compression to reduce the bleeding and limit swelling (and scarring).

Elevation to help reduce swelling. You need to lay down and support the leg up on pillows (above the heart.

CALL THE DOC

:

4thAD

« Reply #2321 on: October 23, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »
Say it aint so my busyBro! Hope you recover quick brotha. Go see the doc, you have too much to lose with that next comp bro.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #2322 on: October 23, 2008, 11:12:52 AM »
Thanks guys, doing all the above.

No brusing as of this am, so lets hope it is just a strain. If I tore it, would be lumpy and brusing by now...

Have to re-work my game plan as this is happening too often.  >:(

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #2323 on: October 23, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
Thanks guys, doing all the above.

No brusing as of this am, so lets hope it is just a strain. If I tore it, would be lumpy and brusing by now...

Have to re-work my game plan as this is happening too often.  >:(

Sorry to hear about this bro. I know it sucks...been there with my own injuries and it's never fun...it's always more irritating and frustrating then anything else.

You said it keeps happening? Same leg, always when you do standing curls or any hamstring curl?

Personally I have found that most people IMO do way to much direct hamstring work. Tons and tons of heavy brutal sets for hamstrings wk after wk is often overkill and a lot of the time leads to what you have here...not always but a lot of the time.

For me, if I am still squatting heavy, doing lunges etc then my hams seem to stay in good form. I still do some direct ham work, just not as much...I do a lot of single leg lying leg curls, and I do some regular leg curls just not as many as I used to and the weight always stays in the 12is range and usually do high rep drop sets with it a lot of days. I never do straight leg deads anymore, they put way to much stress on my spine no matter how light I go...which brings me to another point, most guys go way to heavy on these in the first place...it's not a lift that you should use a lot of weight on...ever heard the Garret Downing story about this?

I'll admit, these days I am not too concerned with bringing my hamstrings up...if I was I might do more ham work, maybe...as of now I only do 3 maybe 4 total direct hamstring sets per wk...everythign else comes from compound moves like squats.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2324 on: October 23, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about this bro. I know it sucks...been there with my own injuries and it's never fun...it's always more irritating and frustrating then anything else.

You said it keeps happening? Same leg, always when you do standing curls or any hamstring curl?

Personally I have found that most people IMO do way to much direct hamstring work. Tons and tons of heavy brutal sets for hamstrings wk after wk is often overkill and a lot of the time leads to what you have here...not always but a lot of the time.

For me, if I am still squatting heavy, doing lunges etc then my hams seem to stay in good form. I still do some direct ham work, just not as much...I do a lot of single leg lying leg curls, and I do some regular leg curls just not as many as I used to and the weight always stays in the 12is range and usually do high rep drop sets with it a lot of days. I never do straight leg deads anymore, they put way to much stress on my spine no matter how light I go...which brings me to another point, most guys go way to heavy on these in the first place...it's not a lift that you should use a lot of weight on...ever heard the Garret Downing story about this?

I'll admit, these days I am not too concerned with bringing my hamstrings up...if I was I might do more ham work, maybe...as of now I only do 3 maybe 4 total direct hamstring sets per wk...everythign else comes from compound moves like squats.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said!

Hamstrings and biceps are the most commonly overtrained muscles in the body.

8)