Author Topic: For those that don't believe the bible is the word of God...  (Read 29934 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
For those that don't believe the bible is the word of God...
« on: November 26, 2007, 12:13:04 PM »
Does it make you angry that some people do believe it's the word of God?  If so, why?

R

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: For those that don't believe the bible is the word of God...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:29:36 PM »
Nope not at all.

For the most part i respect many of the Christians on this board and those i know in real life that live their lives like true Christians to the best of their ability.

I also respect that those are their beliefs.   But that's what they are, Beliefs, not facts.

I question those beliefs when they are quoted as facts.

I also find it interesting when some of the text in the bible which is believed to be the infallible  word of God is questioned for what it is and find the reactions of conservative Christians  interesting and sometimes entertaining.

What i do find irritating is condemning other religions or other people by saying because they don't do "X" they will go to hell.  Because that is not based on fact, but based on belief which is no different than believing in other religions. 

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »
Because I have NEVER had anyone try to push that garbage down my throat except for those who believe it is true. Then there are the fakers who use the bible to their advantage by stealing  money from the sheep.  Religion has started most wars.  Church is all for show, a contest if you will.  Who gives the most, who shows up the most, who helps the most....etc.  That book of lies has been twisted around so much to fit the actions of these "good" people it is sickening.  BLAHH......

Instead of living by the words of a book why not just be a good person by using common sense.  I am a very compassionate person and never needed that fairytale to make my decisions. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 12:53:15 PM »
Nope not at all.

What i do find irritating is condemning other religions or other people by saying because they don't do "X" they will go to hell.  Because that is not based on fact, but based on belief which is no different than believing in other religions. 

OzmO,
If what you do find irritating is found in the Bible, then doesn't it irritate you that some of us believe that the Bible is the word of God?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »
Because I have NEVER had anyone try to push that garbage down my throat except for those who believe it is true. Then there are the fakers who use the bible to their advantage by stealing  money from the sheep.  Religion has started most wars.  Church is all for show, a contest if you will.  Who gives the most, who shows up the most, who helps the most....etc.  That book of lies has been twisted around so much to fit the actions of these "good" people it is sickening.  BLAHH......

Instead of living by the words of a book why not just be a good person by using common sense.  I am a very compassionate person and never needed that fairytale to make my decisions. 

Hey windsor88!  What is a good person?  Who determines that?  What is "common sense"?  Did you know that throughout history people have not been able to even agree on what "common sense" is? 

Common sense is sometimes regarded as an impediment to abstract and even logical thinking. This is especially the case in mathematics and physics, where human intuition often conflicts with probably correct or experimentally verified results. A definition attributed to Albert Einstein states: "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense#Otherwise

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 01:07:53 PM »
OzmO,
If what you do find irritating is found in the Bible, then doesn't it irritate you that some of us believe that the Bible is the word of God?

No. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 01:10:30 PM »
No. 

So when you say

"What i do find irritating is condemning other religions or other people by saying because they don't do "X" they will go to hell." 

You are referring to beliefs that are not found in the Bible?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 01:21:39 PM »
So when you say

"What i do find irritating is condemning other religions or other people by saying because they don't do "X" they will go to hell." 

You are referring to beliefs that are not found in the Bible?

I know many people who believe exactly as you do, but they don't run around quoting the bible or condemning others who don't believe as they do.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 05:46:27 PM »
Does it make you angry that some people do believe it's the word of God?  If so, why?

I don't care if people want to waste their lives on disproven mythology (disproven archaeologically, historically, scientifically and commonsensically) but the problem with bible thumpers like yourself is that you insist on preaching and shoving your bullshit down other people's throats be it in the classroom with ID or on the pulpit. Just keep your delusions to yourself as best you can and everyone will get along fine.
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 05:48:46 PM »
I know many people who believe exactly as you do, but they don't run around quoting the bible or condemning others who don't believe as they do.

Exactly as I do?  Do they believe in Jesus?  Do they share the Gospel with others?  Do they warn others about hell?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 05:51:10 PM »
I don't care if people want to waste their lives on disproven mythology (disproven archaeologically, historically, scientifically and commonsensically) but the problem with bible thumpers like yourself is that you insist on preaching and shoving your bullshit down other people's throats be it in the classroom with ID or on the pulpit. Just keep your delusions to yourself as best you can and everyone will get along fine.

How exactly has STella shoved bs down your throat?  I don't believe I have seen a post by STella where she says ID is science or that ID should be taught in schools.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 05:57:05 PM »
How exactly has STella shoved bs down your throat?  I don't believe I have seen a post by STella where she says ID is science or that ID should be taught in schools.

Well, she is a fundy but yes thus far she hasn't made any of those proposals...unlike you....
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 06:08:37 PM »
Well, she is a fundy but yes thus far she hasn't made any of those proposals...unlike you....

I have not made those proposals either.  Just because I have posted articles by people who believe ID is science and should be taught in schools to get a discussion going does not mean that I share those beliefs.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 06:12:03 PM »
Exactly as I do?  Do they believe in Jesus?  Do they share the Gospel with others?  Do they warn others about hell?

Yep, but they don't thump.  You don't thump either. (for the most part)

they share the gospel with others but not in a annoying or condescending or condemning way.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 06:20:09 PM »
Yep, but they don't thump.  You don't thump either. (for the most part)

they share the gospel with others but not in a annoying or condescending or condemning way.

Thanks, I guess!   ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 06:29:56 PM »
Thanks, I guess!   ;D

np   ;D

We regularly get into heated debates loco, but i consider you far from any of those things i outlined.

You'll go toe to toe but rarely will you condemn, condescend or are annoying.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 06:32:57 PM »
 :)
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »
Here's a good one,

anyone here ever watch the world Series of Poker?

In the last Main Event, it got down to like 5 players and 2 of them were saying out loud,  asking God to make a believer out of them, to show them their destiny.....

I wanted to puke.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »

No.

What annoys me is when Bible-inspired crazies try to force their craziness on the rest of us, when they try to sabotage the science education of our children, and when the government funnels everyone's tax money to them as part of "faith-based initiatives"...

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 08:08:54 PM »
Hey windsor88!  What is a good person?  Who determines that?  What is "common sense"?  Did you know that throughout history people have not been able to even agree on what "common sense" is? 

Common sense is sometimes regarded as an impediment to abstract and even logical thinking. This is especially the case in mathematics and physics, where human intuition often conflicts with probably correct or experimentally verified results. A definition attributed to Albert Einstein states: "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense#Otherwise

::)...people make shit too  complicated.  A good person is someone who does not get involved where they have no right to get involved.  Someone who takes care of his family.  Someone who treats people with the respect that they deserve.  That is also common sense too me.  If everyone lived by those 3 rules there would not be any problems. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »
loco and stella are some of the best people on this site. i may argue with loco and get a little heated when i hear there arguments which i dont agree with, but they are good people.

in the end, all anyone has is faith. sure some choose to make a rational leap into faith, the lack of evidence is reason to not beleive, which i believe is safe and perhaps correct.then some make a illogical leap, putting there faith all in one belief like me, loco and stella, albeit we have different views on life.

i have never seen stella shove anything down anyones throat nor loco. he simply engages others in arguments, and when others seem to loose their cool he remains pretty respectful.

but to answer the question of the thread truthfully it does irritate me.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 01:28:39 AM »
loco and stella are some of the best people on this site. i may argue with loco and get a little heated when i hear there arguments which i dont agree with, but they are good people.

in the end, all anyone has is faith. sure some choose to make a rational leap into faith, the lack of evidence is reason to not beleive, which i believe is safe and perhaps correct.then some make a illogical leap, putting there faith all in one belief like me, loco and stella, albeit we have different views on life.

i have never seen stella shove anything down anyones throat nor loco. he simply engages others in arguments, and when others seem to loose their cool he remains pretty respectful.

Thank you! 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 03:50:06 AM »

Doesn't apply to McWay though...
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 05:02:11 AM »
Doesn't apply to McWay though...

What's wrong with McWay?   ;D

I think McWay is a good guy, and very knowledgeable too.  I've learned a lot from him.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 05:45:44 AM »
What's wrong with McWay?   ;D

I think McWay is a good guy, and very knowledgeable too.  I've learned a lot from him.

McWay is a preaching fundy, that's all I'm talking about.
I hate the State.