The Devotionals Thread

<< < (90/91) > >>

Butterbean:
Thanks Ro!

Colossus_500:
Today
By Mike DeVries
homeword.com

But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.”  Luke 18:16-17

I’ve been thinking about this verse lately. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a child will never enter it. Jesus lifts up the image of being childlike and says that, in fact, if we do not embrace the kingdom with a certain quality of a child, we will never enter it. The kingdom life will reside just outside of our grasp.

So I’ve been watching my kids lately to see if I can learn something about what Jesus was getting at. One observation I’ve had is this: Children live very present tense. They live in the here and now. I think there’s something we can learn here...

We as adults appear to be consumed with everything BUT the present. We often live either shackled to the past, or in fear of the future. On the one hand, too many live enslaved to some moment in the past and now every moment in the present is seen through the lens of the past. On the other hand, many also live in perpetual fear of the “what if” – worried about the things that might be, or might not be. So, in essence, we often live everywhere else but here, now, today.

Think about it. Have you ever seen a child worried about tomorrow? Have you ever seen a child live with regret over something in the past? I haven’t. Children have the amazing ability to be free, truly free, to live and breathe in the moment they have been given. What matters in the life of a child is the here and now, not tomorrow, not yesterday.

Jesus talked about this when He said, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Apparently, central to living the kingdom kind of life and living in right relationship with God is to live presently, to live in the here and now.

So what about you? Is there anything that is taking up space in your head and heart? Is there some worry or anxiety that has you enslaved to anything but the present?

The good news is that Jesus invites us to come to Him with what enslaves us, whether it be past or future, and to find freedom and healing, so that like children we can live in the present – fully alive, fully awake to the here and now.

Colossus_500:
Knowing Who You Are
By Robin Dugall

I Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God… Romans 1:1

One of the things that I love about reading the letters of the Apostle Paul is that I get a chance to see someone who was very clear about his identity. There wasn’t much confusion in how Paul saw himself. There wasn’t a lack of clarity on how God has taken a hold of him and molded him into who he was. My experience tells me that many people are confused these days. We don’t know who we really are. We don’t understand the core of our identity. Below are some statements that might help you reclaim what God has done and is doing in your life. As you read the following, make it your own. They are already part of who you are! Know them and live them!

“I am a follower of Christ.” When the disciples were first called Christians, it was because they were “like Christ.” Their beliefs were worked out in the actions of their lives. They joined Jesus on a journey. Believe that God has called you to this journey as well…to a life-long process of being conformed to His image.

“I am a regular guy/gal.” Many of us struggle with thinking we are the center of the universe. The reality is that we are no different than any other follower of Christ. We experience the same joys and struggles as everyone else. There’s only one star in the Kingdom of God - and it’s not you or me. His name is Jesus.

“I am called to be a difference-maker in my world.” Jesus’ plan was to make His love real to people through us, His followers. The truth is, you can either influence or be influenced.

“I am a lover of life.” In light of eternity, we are given a small amount of time on this planet. Jesus said that He has come to give us life to the full. During our time here, live so as to finish the race, fighting the good fight, and keeping the faith.

“I am not finished…not even close.” Everyday, if we open our eyes, we can see the work of God in our lives. We are continually working out this gift that God has given us.  As Paul says, “he who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it” (Philippians 1:6). Pray for more of Jesus…more of His love…more of His power in your life…more of His nature living in and through you.

Man of Steel:
Just some song lyrics that mean a lot to me.....Happy Thanksgiving!!

Through The Fire - The Crabb Family

So many times I've questioned certain circumstances
Things I could not understand
Many times in trials, weakness blurs my vision
Then my frustration gets so out of hand
It's then I am reminded I've never been forsaken
I've never had to stand the test alone
As I look at all the victories the spirit rises up in me
And it's through the fire my weakness is made strong

He never promised that the cross would not get heavy
And the hill would not be hard to climb
He never offered our victories without fighting
But he said help would always come in time
Just remember when you're standing in the valley of decision
And the adversary says give in
Just hold on, our Lord will show up
And he will take you through the fire again

I know within myself that I would surely perish
But if I trust the hand of God, He'll shield the flames again

He never promised that the cross would not get heavy
And the hill would not be hard to climb
He never offered our victories without fighting
But he said help would always come in time
Just remember when you're standing in the valley of decision
And the adversary says give in
Just hold on, our Lord will show up
And he will take you through the fire again

Butterbean:
Daily Devotional
by Charles Stanley

The Benefits of Gratitude

Psalm 105:1-5

Thanking God glorifies and magnifies Him, but did you know doing this also benefits us? The Lord doesn't need our thanks, but we need to give it so we can become what He wants us to be: unselfish, encouraged, and confident.

Giving thanks...
Refocuses our attention: Life is filled with situations and distractions that keep us from seeing all that God has done for us. Instead of getting out of bed with the weight of the world on your shoulders, try refocusing on the Lord by thanking Him for His past provisions, guidance, and faithfulness.

Relieves anxiety: Since our fast-paced society has lots of pressure, expectations, and responsibilities, many people live in constant anxiety. But when we bring our concerns to the Lord with thanksgiving, the burden shifts to Him, and His peace comes to us (Phil. 4:6-7).

Refreshes our relationship: Gratitude keeps us from thinking that the Christian walk is all about us and our needs. Our fellowship with God is enhanced because we're focused on Him instead of ourselves.

Reinforces our faith: When we thank the Lord for His past faithfulness, our confidence in His present faithfulness soars.

Rejoices our spirit: Thanksgiving is the best way to dig ourselves out of the doldrums of discouragement.

Although gratitude is always beneficial, it's not always easy. When you're discouraged or overwhelmed, it's probably not on your radar to thank God. But I've learned from experience that shifting focus and thanking the Lord for all He's done is the fastest way to change one's attitude and reenergize.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version