Author Topic: Q & A  (Read 1605 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Q & A
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »
Q:  My friend lost his son and was so distraught that I made the funeral arrangements for him. When the funeral home asked about payment, I advised them to bill my friend and said I would stand good for it. My friend has not paid them and told me he has fallen on hard times, a shock to me. Do I have an obligation to pay the bill, which is substantial? NAME WITHHELD, ATLANTA

A:  You do; that’s what you pledged. And your friend has an obligation to repay you, although he did not explicitly promise to: he allowed you to incur these costs on his behalf. When he has had some time to cope with his grief, you two should work out a plan for him to meet this obligation, perhaps by making small monthly payments. It would be disheartening if he didn’t repay you after you showed such kindness to him, but even in that case, that wouldn’t justify breaking your word to the funeral home.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Q & A
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
Q:  In my solo medical practice, I treat children from diverse socio-economic backgrounds. I don’t participate in any insurance plans, but I routinely use a downward-sliding scale to help parents in financial difficulty afford care. Many of my patients come from families with extremely high net worth. A friend suggested I charge them more. Is it ethical to use the sliding scale in both directions? NAME WITHHELD, NEW YORK

A: You already use the sliding scale in both directions, and reasonably so. To give one person a price cut is tantamount to giving everyone else a price increase. There is no sanctified price set by the gods as an unvarying standard of comparison: as long as people are paying variable prices, it’s all relative. If one person pays $90 for a service and another pays $110, whose payment have you reduced and whose raised?

Here’s another way to look at it: Surely, your fees have risen over the years. You’re not charging for a flu shot now what you did in 1810 (if you are a Faustian health care professional who will live for a thousand years and had there been flu shots in 1810). From that perspective, everybody’s fees have gone up over the past 200 years, some more than others.

If you thought about your fees in another way, as a percentage of patients’ income, you might conclude that you persistently charge wealthy patients quite a bit less than the needy. A bill for $10,000 — it’s a lovely nose job — represents 1 percent of the income of someone making a million dollars a year, but it is 33 percent of the income of someone making $30,000 a year. Why are you overcharging poorer patients? Why is someone with such a meager salary squandering it on a nose job? What was wrong with her old nose?

Finland assesses some speeding tickets not as fixed fines but in proportion to the violator’s income. Here in America, we accept other sorts of variable pricing. The cost of an airline seat can vary depending on when you buy it. The cost of a movie ticket alters with your age: kids and seniors pay less.

Despite there being no mathematically meaningful distinction here, psychology plays its part: it can feel different if you apparently lower a price — that’s generosity — than if you seem to raise one: that’s gouging. And so you should be transparent, perhaps appending a general statement to your bills: “Fees may vary with ability to pay.”

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:07:45 PM »
yes to the first one

no to the 2nd...I understand the logic but it sounds like they have a standard rate and a discount rate that slides depending on income level. So in a way he is already charging more for those with more income but its at the standard rate for everyone. The only ones getting exceptions are those that fall below a certain income level. If they started charging ppl more simply b/c they made more that would be PRICE GOUGING!!!

whats this world coming to that we feel we should charge more simply b/c someone makes more?

How about go out and make more money?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:09:10 PM »
Q:  My friend lost his son and was so distraught that I made the funeral arrangements for him. When the funeral home asked about payment, I advised them to bill my friend and said I would stand good for it. My friend has not paid them and told me he has fallen on hard times, a shock to me. Do I have an obligation to pay the bill, which is substantial? NAME WITHHELD, ATLANTA

A:  You do; that’s what you pledged. And your friend has an obligation to repay you, although he did not explicitly promise to: he allowed you to incur these costs on his behalf. When he has had some time to cope with his grief, you two should work out a plan for him to meet this obligation, perhaps by making small monthly payments. It would be disheartening if he didn’t repay you after you showed such kindness to him, but even in that case, that wouldn’t justify breaking your word to the funeral home.

Why should the friend by responsible for paying for someone else’s funeral?  If the funeral home billed the parent then the parent is responsible.  End of story.  He got a bill and he needs to pay it.  It was nice of the friend to help out by tending to the funeral arrangements (some people are too distraught to deal with those matters) but that does not make him financially liable; he should never have said, “I would stand good for it.”

If the funeral home would not move forward until they KNEW who would pay them the friend should have pointed to the grieving parent and made it clear to both the parent and the funeral home that THIS is person responsible.

UPDATE: The writer paid the funeral-home bill and sent his friend a card saying they could discuss repayment when the friend was ready.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
the friend set up the funeral for the other party, it was them making the deal and they were not asked to make the deal. They were not an authorized acting agent of the father of the deceased therefor even though they said that he was doing it for him in legal terms it doesnt matter b/c he wasnt authorized to do so.

If that was the case I would go buy 80 million dollars in competing apple companies in your name.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:41:46 PM »
Sad they probably won't have much of a friendship after this...
:

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:16:15 PM »
should have cremated him...it's cheaper