Author Topic: This woman annoys me  (Read 3063 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
This woman annoys me
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:28:51 AM »
This woman annoys me!  Am I being unreasonable?  She appears to have a good man who is trying to keep the family on solid financial footing but her habits are sabotaging them!  It's not about "coffee"; it's about an attitude of entitlement!  >:(

A Dollar Here, a Dollar There. But So What?
by Katherine Rosman

Sometimes a cup of coffee is just a cup of coffee. But when ordering it requires using words like "double tall" and paying more than $4, a cup of coffee can become a point of marital inflection.

Last week, we went to Los Angeles to visit my sister and her family. I flew in with our two little kids on Thursday, and my husband met us there a few days later. When he climbed into our rental car, Joe gave me a quick kiss and began surveying the mess (amazing what two kids can do to a backseat of a car in a mere 36 hours): "I see evidence of four cappuccinos, totaling probably $20," he said.

When we first met, I thought it was cute how he could tally up the cost of things so quickly. That was a long time ago.

I love cappuccino. I particularly like Starbucks cappuccino, but I'm happy with any overpriced coffee shop that sells a little frothy decadence in a sturdy paper cup.

The problem, though, is that cappuccino is not a line item in our family budget. We don't make room for such things when deciding how to spread our dollars. Last year, Joe asked me if I wanted to add it, cautioning me that I'd need to cut out another cost.

"If you worked 50 weeks a year," he explained, "and got a $4 coffee every workday, you'd need to subtract at least $1,000 from other discretionary spending on things like exercise or manicures."

So I cut out the cappuccinos. For a couple of months, anyway. And then I began to indulge again.

The truth is: When it comes to small indulgences -- fancy espresso drinks, tubes of drugstore lipstick -- I see the budget as an aspiration. Like a diet, it's something to respect and work toward. When we first met, Joe thought my flighty, creative, nonlinear approach to finances was cute. That was a long time ago.

I am not a big shopper. I don't splurge on clothes or unnecessary frivolities. I am crafty and resourceful. When my nightstands started showing their age, I ripped pages out of an old atlas and refaced the drawers with maps. I frame the covers of my kids' favorite books and hang them on their bedroom walls.

When I see a vintage vase I covet or consider signing the kids up for a music class, I first check with my husband. I understand that a dollar can't be spent twice, and also that I am part of a team that functions best when its members make decisions together. But because I adhere to the major constraints imposed by our family budget, I suppose I feel I should be rewarded with small splurges made without discussion.

I also rationalize my indulgence when I consider my daily commute to and from work. After a mad dash to get the kids off to school and myself out the door, I cram myself onto overcrowded modes of public transport and pass through what generously can be described as a very unpleasant bus terminal. Somehow, a daily $4 beverage helps wash away all that grit and incivility.

Last year for Hanukah, Joe bought me a fancy coffee maker. It was, perhaps, the most practical, thoughtful gift I've ever received. I use it all weekend. And I love that when we have friends over for dinner, I can offer them an after-dessert espresso.

Yet, I don't want to make myself a cappuccino at home in the morning, pour it into a thermos and drink it cold and frothless when I arrive at my office some two hours later. A thought-through cappuccino is no fun! I like the spontaneity of a stop at Starbucks. Its impracticality is its value. Its decadence is its appeal.

This is what I explained to Joe after he had looked through credit-card statements. (A future column: I hate having a joint account.) He wasn't buying it. "First of all, it's not spontaneous if you do it every day," he said. "Second, even if I were a billionaire, I would consider it criminal to spend four bucks on branded coffee and milk. It's profligate."

Of course, I know he makes sense. But by definition, an indulgence is supposed to be nonsensical. I don't ask Joe questions when he lights a cigar as we sit on our porch on a summer night (though I do tell him to get the disgusting smoke out of my face). Joe works very hard, and if he wants a cigar, he should have a cigar.

To my mind, a few out-of-budget small purchases aren't going to break us. And they might actually benefit us, giving that little lift that can come from a quiet moment of self-appreciation. That's when a cup of coffee is so much more than a cup of coffee.

On a street near my sister's house in California, Joe and I strolled one sunny afternoon with the kids in tow. We ambled into an old-fashioned millinery store with hats that come in actual hatboxes: fedoras, Havanas and bowlers. For fun, I tried on a cloche with black wool sides that dip low in a style reminiscent of the 1920s. As I looked in the mirror, Joe came up behind me and said, simply, "You have to have it."

The hat cost $100, a sum equal to more than 20 cafe-bought cappuccinos. It will keep me feeling warm and looking stylish as I wait for the bus each morning next winter en route to work. Nothing beats being splurged upon by your guy because he sees you in a hat and thinks you look swell.

As for the coffee, well, Joe has offered a compromise: He's going to create budget space for me to get a cappuccino two or three times a week. We'll see if budget-sanctioned indulgences taste as sweet.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: This woman annoys me
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »
This woman annoys me!  Am I being unreasonable?  She appears to have a good man who is trying to keep the family on solid financial footing but her habits are sabotaging them!  It's not about "coffee"; it's about an attitude of entitlement!  >:(

She annoys me too!   >:(

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:45:52 AM »
I'm annoyed she pays for a coffee w/a credit card >:(

;D
R

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:56:22 PM »
Sean Connery, where are you?
~

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 02:00:16 PM »
I'm annoyed she pays for a coffee w/a credit card >:(

;D

what's wrong with that? I put everything on a credit card and pay it off once a month.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »
what's wrong with that? I put everything on a credit card and pay it off once a month.

I guess I'm just used to using cash for smaller purchases... but in thinking more about it, putting everything on cc would be a good way to track all of your expenses which is what they were trying to do.

I suppose if you're not writing a check for it and you wait to pull your checkbook out of your purse until after they have made your coffee and rung it up, we will let it slide. :)
R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »
I thought this was going to be a thread about Gloria Allred.   ???

newmom

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 03:26:25 PM »
I thought this was going to be a thread about Gloria Allred.   ???

that is one loud mouth twat that I can't stand

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »
that is one loud mouth twat that I can't stand

The most irritating woman in America.  Man hater Wendy Murphy is a close second. 

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:09:20 PM »
typical woman.

newmom

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »
typical woman.

how would you know?

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 07:23:28 PM »

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »
I can understand where she is coming from, life can be stressful for me and I dont even have kids I enjoy a monster energy drink(low carb :)) everyday but I buy in bulk at sams and its a part of my budget.

I dont think its necissarily a bad thing that she has coffee everyday but the fact that she cant have the coffee and lose something of equal expense from her budget is pretty crappy.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »
R