Author Topic: The Y board lifting thread  (Read 2029839 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: The Y board lifting thread.
« Reply #6600 on: July 29, 2013, 06:31:53 PM »
Montague

OK, got the drift of your plan. Sounds very workable.

I might impress to others, who may be reading this, that GVT can be as much of a mental process, as a physical one. As Montague suggest, it does gets harder as the set's advance.  Than about the 6 or 7th set you get your second wind (so to speak) and those sets become easy. That's a false positive,  because the next set's, after that, can be very demanding in effort of keeping the full 10 reps in a set. But GVT can be a very effective way to train.
F

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6601 on: July 29, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »
20 minutes dumbbell circuits   - squat + overhead press, squat / one arm row  / curl and press

4 sets of the following no rest during each set :  10 burpees 5 pull ups 20 pushups 100 flutter kicks x 4  

10 minutes on rowing machine + 200 situps

30 minutes stairmaster

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6602 on: July 29, 2013, 06:39:03 PM »
If you don't mind, would you post a full week of what you're planning on doing?

I'm off to bed soon, but this was my last workout:

Delts & Tri's:

Seated military press - 10x10
Face pulls - 4x12
Overhead extensions - 5x12
Parallel bar dips - 3x15, 12, 10

The same weight is used for each set. 1:10 rest is taken between sets. Attention is on good, controlled form. There is lots of literature on GVT that describes it a lot better than I can. Most people see good results from it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6603 on: July 29, 2013, 06:40:46 PM »
Montague

OK, got the drift of your plan. Sounds very workable.

Thank you. I'll keep you updated on how it goes!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6604 on: July 29, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6605 on: July 29, 2013, 08:05:58 PM »

The same weight is used for each set. 1:10 rest is taken between sets. Attention is on good, controlled form. There is lots of literature on GVT that describes it a lot better than I can. Most people see good results from it.

Just read up on it a bit.   The article I read calls for 6 reps on legs, 10 on upper.  Alternate push pull supersets.

I may give this a shot in the next few months.  Might be easier on the joints.  Thanks Motague for posting.
Y

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6606 on: July 29, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »
Charles Poliquin wrote the definitive article on GVT many years ago. Might be worth a search to find it on the Internet. Lot of different versions of it,  which most completely get away from the original ideas of training this way. And hence not getting the full results you may have been getting. I read Poliquin in high school and began using GVT than. You will get stronger, as you advance the weight from workout to workout. And you will get larger.

Gironda have a version of it , but preferred his well known 8X8's.  I've usually will just used one exercise per muscle group with 10X10's, per workout.   Like: Monday...benches, Wed...Squats, Fri...BB rows. Have used the Pullover & Press many times  for 10X10's with excellent results.  Also Squat cleans & presses for football conditioning. Stamina (endurance + strength) really improves.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6607 on: July 30, 2013, 02:52:37 AM »
Three more points I like about GVT is that, by performing only two exercises per session, each movement remains a bit "fresher" with more space in the rotation since you're now using some of them every 2-3 weeks as opposed to weekly, for instance.

Secondly, the progressive nature of the sets renders the first 2-3 to serve as your "warm-up." 4-6 may be considered your "acclimation sets," while the remaining sets are your heavier "work" sets; for those who favor that method of training. Here, you're using the same station, same weight, etc. It's all built in!

Thirdly - and this is purely personal preference - I like volume and the ability to effectively overload the muscles with a lighter weight. GVT accomplishes both. My body responds better to volume, and lighter weight yields less stress on joints, tendons, etc. While it is certainly still possible to get injured and/or develop inflammation issues on GVT, I honestly believe it is less likely.

Shakespeare

• Getbig II
  • Thou Doest Protest Too Much
« Reply #6608 on: July 30, 2013, 03:04:24 AM »
Three more points I like about GVT is that, by performing only two exercises per session, each movement remains a bit "fresher" with more space in the rotation since you're now using some of them every 2-3 weeks as opposed to weekly, for instance.

Secondly, the progressive nature of the sets renders the first 2-3 to serve as your "warm-up." 4-6 may be considered your "acclimation sets," while the remaining sets are your heavier "work" sets; for those who favor that method of training. Here, you're using the same station, same weight, etc. It's all built in!

Thirdly - and this is purely personal preference - I like volume and the ability to effectively overload the muscles with a lighter weight. GVT accomplishes both. My body responds better to volume, and lighter weight yields less stress on joints, tendons, etc. While it is certainly still possible to get injured and/or develop inflammation issues on GVT, I honestly believe it is less likely.

My good man, are you saying you do not envision the Capulets prior to your sets to fuel your fire in the gym.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #6609 on: July 30, 2013, 04:02:41 AM »
My good man, are you saying you do not envision the Capulets prior to your sets to fuel your fire in the gym.

hast thou taken your post workout leeches to draw the poisons out during the window of anabolic haste
T

Shakespeare

• Getbig II
  • Thou Doest Protest Too Much
« Reply #6610 on: July 30, 2013, 04:13:00 AM »
hast thou taken your post workout leeches to draw the poisons out during the window of anabolic haste

Thine sustenance is provided by Jamaican Musclebears - straight from the tap, no less.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #6611 on: July 30, 2013, 04:34:07 AM »
Thine sustenance is provided by Jamaican Musclebears - straight from the tap, no less.

is thou saying that the phallus is romeo to your juliet
T

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6612 on: July 30, 2013, 07:32:52 AM »
Fri was arms
Mon-superset-bench press/cable flys
incline hammer
pec dec

db curls
straight bar curls

abs

cardio

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #6613 on: July 30, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »
beast

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6614 on: July 30, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »
RushFit warm up

3 sets    -      10 burpees 5 pull ups 20 pushups 100 flutter kicks x 5 TIMES     NO REST

10 Minutes - weird new cardio machine  - suked

30 minutes - stairmaster on intense setting

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6615 on: July 30, 2013, 07:20:10 PM »
RushFit warm up

3 sets    -      10 burpees 5 pull ups 20 pushups 100 flutter kicks x 5 TIMES     NO REST

10 Minutes - weird new cardio machine  - suked

30 minutes - stairmaster on intense setting

Are you still using the rowing machine at all for cardio? How do you rate the different pieces you've used thus far?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6616 on: July 30, 2013, 07:29:47 PM »

Are you still using the rowing machine at all for cardio? How do you rate the different pieces you've used thus far?

Yes - but not as much since it takes a shit load of energy away from me.  So I am giving more energy to heavy dumbbells than the rows and doing the stepper , the machine like real steps for cardio which is not as taxing and intense. 

GoRuck event I have coming up requires more strength and endurance than the spartance race skills.  So goal is to be stronger and more stamina over distance. 

The rowing machine is total bad ass and I do it - just not as much until October when I go back to training for Spartan Race

I have in the next few weeks starting Septemer7  GRC Challenge 12-14 hours,  September 14, CMC in Brooklyn,  September 21 - GoRuck Nasty, September 29 Merrell Down n Dirty   maybe TM TriState October 10, and Spartan Race Fenway on November 13 

Got a lot of stuff to focus on. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6617 on: July 30, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
Yes - but not as much since it takes a shit load of energy away from me.  So I am giving more energy to heavy dumbbells than the rows and doing the stepper , the machine like real steps for cardio which is not as taxing and intense. 

GoRuck event I have coming up requires more strength and endurance than the spartance race skills.  So goal is to be stronger and more stamina over distance. 

The rowing machine is total bad ass and I do it - just not as much until October when I go back to training for Spartan Race

I have in the next few weeks starting Septemer7  GRC Challenge 12-14 hours,  September 14, CMC in Brooklyn,  September 21 - GoRuck Nasty, September 29 Merrell Down n Dirty   maybe TM TriState October 10, and Spartan Race Fenway on November 13 

Got a lot of stuff to focus on. 

Damn, brother...you're obsessed!
I think you've taken this self-challenge farther than anyone here ever expected you to.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6618 on: July 30, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »

Damn, brother...you're obsessed!
I think you've taken this self-challenge farther than anyone here ever expected you to.

I love it and its exhilarating to be able to still compete with anyone at 38 yo now.   And the people you meet are really supportive. 

Its helped me stay super focused in my training 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6619 on: July 30, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »
I love it and its exhilarating to be able to still compete with anyone at 38 yo now.   And the people you meet are really supportive. 

Its helped me stay super focused in my training 

I still remember the haters being shut down - one after the other - following your first race. I remember how proud you were when you pm'ed me and a few other supporters your first progress pics; and then saying, "Ah, fuckit..." and you plastered them on the main boards.

A few of us truly knew what this whole thing meant to you, bro, and we're all proud of you!!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6620 on: July 31, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
Bench

Incline Bench

Incline Flyes
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6621 on: July 31, 2013, 07:24:42 PM »

I still remember the haters being shut down - one after the other - following your first race. I remember how proud you were when you pm'ed me and a few other supporters your first progress pics; and then saying, "Ah, fuckit..." and you plastered them on the main boards.

A few of us truly knew what this whole thing meant to you, bro, and we're all proud of you!!

Thanks man - you know what these events entail and to be good at it.  Once I do Fenway in November - things will really have come full circle since that is where I sat last year overweight as a spectator and the fuse was lit for me to do this 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6622 on: August 01, 2013, 05:55:15 AM »
3 mile trail run....ran the first 1 1/2 then walked/ran the rest.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6623 on: August 01, 2013, 05:59:36 AM »
3 mile trail run....ran the first 1 1/2 then walked/ran the rest.
3333333386 is going to have a field day with this!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6624 on: August 01, 2013, 06:02:45 AM »
3333333386 is going to have a field day with this!

First time I've run like that in awhile.

...lol did better then I thought I would.