Author Topic: GA / occasionally Soulcrusher training thread  (Read 512593 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Grape Ape trains for a Go Ruck
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2014, 07:30:08 AM »
I don't know about you guys - but BB type workouts just got so boring to me over the years - this is why im seeking out other shit like this.

And no - I don't do CF and never ever stepped in a box

BB workouts bore me plus I don't have the genes to get big.

This stuff is the best, but I will mix more strength stuff in because I enjoy that once this is over and I get my shoulder fixed.

I'm going to just do this today:  10 sets   5 pullup / 10 push up  then try to ruck.  If that hurts my leg, I'm going to be very worried.
Y

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »
Straight

props to you....you're in excellent shape..you're dumb as fuck but I gotta respect that.....good job ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »
props to you....you're in excellent shape..you're dumb as fuck but I gotta respect that.....good job ;)

Its a long story - but honestly - cause this is Y board - I was 50lbs overweight - lifting like a BB and convinced myself I was "jacked" until I saw a top less pic on the beach.  YIKES!!!   

I started w GSP Rushfit - which is FNG awesome!!! 

Then I mixed GSP Rushfit w Bas Rutten CD's 

After that - I found Stew Smith's stuff and that got me to a whole other level of fitness. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »
Its a long story - but honestly - cause this is Y board - I was 50lbs overweight - lifting like a BB and convinced myself I was "jacked" until I saw a top less pic on the beach.  YIKES!!!   

I started w GSP Rushfit - which is FNG awesome!!! 

Then I mixed GSP Rushfit w Bas Rutten CD's 

After that - I found Stew Smith's stuff and that got me to a whole other level of fitness. 

This type of training is no doubt frowned upon by some on getbig but i think it has a place here. Good Luck Guys.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
This type of training is no doubt frowned upon by some on getbig but i think it has a place here. Good Luck Guys.

I have found a lot of BB, my former self included - like to delude themselves in terms of their actual overall state of physical fitness and health. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2014, 02:51:24 PM »
I have found a lot of BB, my former self included - like to delude themselves in terms of their actual overall state of physical fitness and health. 

Have you lost any strength with this kind of training?..when you do lift heavy any loss of power?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
Have you lost any strength with this kind of training?..when you do lift heavy any loss of power?

I haven't really, but only testing it with box squats and the occasional DB press.

I did 10 sets of 2 reps of box squats, starting at 70% of max, and adding 5lb for every successive set.  1 min rest.  Weights were fine.

For DB press, I did the 90s for 8 the other day just to "check".   I won't go higher than that until I get my shoulder fixed.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2014, 03:41:53 PM »

Yes.   I'm 50"bs lighter.   But I have a shit load better overall conditioning and fitness.   I have plenty of strength for everything I do - but have gained a lot of functional fitness and stamina I didn't have before. 

In simpler terms - I'm way more well rounded fitness wise. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #208 on: December 30, 2014, 05:24:07 AM »
I agree with you. each to his/her own. I have always enjoyed cardio fitness too and include it in my training. I liked martial arts from a very early age too. Reading every book in the local library, i never had a Judo group near me so i trained at home with my brother. I had a book i think called , Judo for Boys from a British author. showed training in shorts and wearing old style suit Jackets.. it did work. It was really a time where there was not a Dojo in every Town so he showed how you could use a type of Home training. i remember there was a Judo group at Stirling(Scotland) University but it was too far away and was too expensive for me for non students. so the value of weight training i also learned was useful to a Judoka too. Weight training and Bodyweight training can be combined.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2015, 05:46:52 AM »
Had a great week of training.  on target. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2015, 07:02:21 AM »
Had a great week of training.  on target. 

Did nothing.  Still can't run or walk with a pack.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2015, 07:17:16 AM »
Did nothing.  Still can't run or walk with a pack.

That sucks.  That bad?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2015, 07:42:08 AM »
That sucks.  That bad?

Yeah.... I still feel pain when I walk, so there's no way I'm risking it.  Just continuing to do foam roll, Active release therapy and ice.   

10 weeks is still time for me to ramp it up when I can....but this is bothersome.  I was able to do those ranger training routines you posted, but feel like shit now.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
Yeah.... I still feel pain when I walk, so there's no way I'm risking it.  Just continuing to do foam roll, Active release therapy and ice.   

10 weeks is still time for me to ramp it up when I can....but this is bothersome.  I was able to do those ranger training routines you posted, but feel like shit now.

Where does it hurt worst?  Sounds bad man 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2015, 01:18:03 PM »
Where does it hurt worst?  Sounds bad man 

Upper thigh right under hip bones.   The thing is, in addition to pain, it just feels....weird.  Almost like an itch.   Emailed my doc about getting an MRI.  We'll see.  If it's just a strain, I'll be fine, provided I can ramp up in the next week.  Mentally it's bugging me a bit though.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2015, 06:49:48 AM »
Upper thigh right under hip bones.   The thing is, in addition to pain, it just feels....weird.  Almost like an itch.   Emailed my doc about getting an MRI.  We'll see.  If it's just a strain, I'll be fine, provided I can ramp up in the next week.  Mentally it's bugging me a bit though.

Can you do non impact stuff?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2015, 06:56:18 AM »
Can you do non impact stuff?

Pullups, pushups..planks.that's it....even sit ups pull it a bit.
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2015, 07:03:54 AM »
Hope you get it sorted OK ... best wishes man.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2015, 07:05:02 AM »
Hope you get it sorted OK ... best wishes man.

Thanks Donny....I will get through this... Doc tomorrow.
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2015, 07:07:33 AM »
Thanks Donny....I will get through this... Doc tomorrow.
Yes best way get it looked at. I made the mistake of thinking i knew better and i suffered longer.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »
Crazy upper body pyramid:  Do 1 pull up / 2 push up / 3 sit up..........then 2/6/9 etc....all the way up to 10/20/30, then 9/15/27 all the way back down to 1/2/3.

This totals 100 pull ups / 200 push up / 300 sit up in about 1/2 hr (estimate)

Notes:

1.  Didn't realize when I used to try this I could wait 30-60 seconds between sets.  I was trying with zero rest which is why I used to crap out at 7.  I also hadn't read about the descending part (dumb ass)

2.  I got every pull up on the ascent, including the 10.  Had to do 2 negatives on the "9" set on the descent, and 2 on the "8"  got all the rest.

3.  After the set of 21 sit up on the  the ascent, I felt it pulling in my leg, so I switched to crunches.  Admittedly not nearly as hard, but I wouldn't have been able to do all the sit up anyway.

For good measure, I added a 30 second Atomik Bomb hang with a 45lb plate, and a light shoulder circuit.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2015, 11:16:34 AM »
MRI is normal.  Good news.

Will continue to roll/ART/ice and wrap.......

Will start rucking.  Probably drop to a mile today....build up a mile each day until I'm back to 13 where I was..

Test running in a few days.

Got to be patient.
Y

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2015, 11:38:31 AM »
MRI is normal.  Good news.

Will continue to roll/ART/ice and wrap.......

Will start rucking.  Probably drop to a mile today....build up a mile each day until I'm back to 13 where I was..

Test running in a few days.

Got to be patient.
Great...  :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
enjoy - this is where I have been getting a lot of my methods from

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: January 07, 2015, 12:28:12 PM »
for a 30 minute workout - I love that pyramid.   takes me almost 30 minutes to the tee. 

Crazy upper body pyramid:  Do 1 pull up / 2 push up / 3 sit up..........then 2/6/9 etc....all the way up to 10/20/30, then 9/15/27 all the way back down to 1/2/3.

This totals 100 pull ups / 200 push up / 300 sit up in about 1/2 hr (estimate)

Notes:

1.  Didn't realize when I used to try this I could wait 30-60 seconds between sets.  I was trying with zero rest which is why I used to crap out at 7.  I also hadn't read about the descending part (dumb ass)

2.  I got every pull up on the ascent, including the 10.  Had to do 2 negatives on the "9" set on the descent, and 2 on the "8"  got all the rest.

3.  After the set of 21 sit up on the  the ascent, I felt it pulling in my leg, so I switched to crunches.  Admittedly not nearly as hard, but I wouldn't have been able to do all the sit up anyway.

For good measure, I added a 30 second Atomik Bomb hang with a 45lb plate, and a light shoulder circuit.