Author Topic: Female bodybuilders/roids/public perception  (Read 15133 times)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Female bodybuilders/roids/public perception
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:39:14 PM »
IMO, many female bodybuilders need to lay of the roids. Up close many are so masculine it is ridiculous.We as women want more marketing for bodybuilding, more of the prize money pie, more exposure etc...we need to be marketable.

All of the O competitors are fantastic bodybuilders, but some just literally look like science experiments gone wrong. When some open their mouth and speak, that does not help matters when they sound like Darth Vader

In reality, the vast majority of the general public literally cringes in horror when they see a roided up female bodybuilder. To be frank, so do many in the bodybuilding community.

I think having a board for positive aspects of female bodybuilding is great, but IMO roiding to the gills to you become very masculine is not.

This is not 'bashing' but reality.

So many fans and proponents want to scream for equal rights, and claim that everyone are 'haters'.

While we as women scream for equal rights while becoming more masculine day by day, we will simply go lower. I am all for women receiving equal prize money and exposure, and would love to see it happen in the pro leagues. Hover I think we should start by cleaning up our own act. Less science experiment gone wrong type looks and less X rated crap would help.

My perspective is different I guess as I as from a different place. Here [where top amateurs get financial compensation] female bodybuilding is treated with the same respect as males. Equal money and exposure given to both. The only difference I see from here and other places where that does not occur, is the fact that we drug test, and the 'roid look' is a rarity.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Female bodybuilders/roids/public perception
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 05:08:13 PM »
good point of view.  I agree that many look way to masculine.  I admire the dedication, but as a man, i prefer to see a woman look feminine.  I am in no way intimidated by them, but there are qualities of a woman that are lost when they are roided up.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 06:02:52 PM »
you know, the steroid voice can be heard as early as in Pumping iron 2 the women
X

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 06:27:55 PM »
i was watching a show while in Mexico and they were interviewing a bb.  i was in the kitchen and have paying attention.  anyway when i sat down to watch it i was shocked.  i thought they were interviewing a guy, but oh no it was a female. 

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:44:26 AM »
IMO, many female bodybuilders need to lay of the roids. Up close many are so masculine it is ridiculous.We as women want more marketing for bodybuilding, more of the prize money pie, more exposure etc...we need to be marketable.

All of the O competitors are fantastic bodybuilders, but some just literally look like science experiments gone wrong. When some open their mouth and speak, that does not help matters when they sound like Darth Vader

In reality, the vast majority of the general public literally cringes in horror when they see a roided up female bodybuilder. To be frank, so do many in the bodybuilding community.

I think having a board for positive aspects of female bodybuilding is great, but IMO roiding to the gills to you become very masculine is not.

This is not 'bashing' but reality.

So many fans and proponents want to scream for equal rights, and claim that everyone are 'haters'.

While we as women scream for equal rights while becoming more masculine day by day, we will simply go lower. I am all for women receiving equal prize money and exposure, and would love to see it happen in the pro leagues. Hover I think we should start by cleaning up our own act. Less science experiment gone wrong type looks and less X rated crap would help.

My perspective is different I guess as I as from a different place. Here [where top amateurs get financial compensation] female bodybuilding is treated with the same respect as males. Equal money and exposure given to both. The only difference I see from here and other places where that does not occur, is the fact that we drug test, and the 'roid look' is a rarity.
True. The good news is female BB will be back in the limelight rhyming tite getting paid and blowing up like the World Trade within the next 2-3 years.

I think Jody Jo Miller is going to usher in a new(but old) look. If it can go backwards to the McLish/Everson/Creavalle(sp?) days...that would be a giant step for female BB. IFBB professional BB needs a Brit Miller and an Emmanuella Pintus, although I think she went to FIGURE now.

Girls with that look and physique can bring in the revenue and fill seats. The problem is...when female BB is where it needs to be there will always be one girl who steps it up a little...then gets rewarded for it...then another 2-3 will step it up a little...then another reward is given...then another and another and girls like Jody Jo and an Emmanuella will die out and it will give way to the female freaks. The cycle will repeat itself unless the judges swear a blood oath to NEVER reward obvious steroid, freak look and reward the latter.

Oh shit...I gotta run before Stella or The BEAST see me in here...I never got approved to post here...
?

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:02:32 PM »
True. The good news is female BB will be back in the limelight rhyming tite getting paid and blowing up like the World Trade within the next 2-3 years.

I think Jody Jo Miller is going to usher in a new(but old) look. If it can go backwards to the McLish/Everson/Creavalle(sp?) days...that would be a giant step for female BB. IFBB professional BB needs a Brit Miller and an Emmanuella Pintus, although I think she went to FIGURE now.

Girls with that look and physique can bring in the revenue and fill seats. The problem is...when female BB is where it needs to be there will always be one girl who steps it up a little...then gets rewarded for it...then another 2-3 will step it up a little...then another reward is given...then another and another and girls like Jody Jo and an Emmanuella will die out and it will give way to the female freaks. The cycle will repeat itself unless the judges swear a blood oath to NEVER reward obvious steroid, freak look and reward the latter.

Oh shit...I gotta run before Stella or The BEAST see me in here...I never got approved to post here...

You don't need to be approved to post here, so calm down ;D

I agree with your post [shock!]. Someone like Jodi Miller switching from figure is a rarity, most cases it is the other way around...like Pintus switching to figure. I think many women who would have stayed in bodybuilding, or have considered switching from figure - don't as they are not prepared to roid to the gills and feel they cannot be competitive. Numerous figure girls started out as bb and switched for this reason.

It does require changes at the judging level.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 12:26:34 PM »

Holla! I know that lots of girls who started out as BB's switch to figure and the 31 reason WHY they switch is because they know that to be competitive and to place they will HAVE to take a ride on the WILD SIDE! WIIIIILD SIDE! (Going to see Motley Crue tonite so I'm getting psyched up...nevermind)

If you think about it...the problem lies with the judges. It is because of the judges lots of girls upped the dosages so much they became grotesque.

Judges somewhere down the line rewarded the biggest and freakiest and it spilled over even to the amature level. Now the girls and female BB is in a rut and finally NOW trying to get back on track and go back in time to save the future.

Sounds like a movie script, huh? To even break it down even further let's examine the human competitive spirit. There will always be a person who wants to be better than the other so they will do what they got to do to do it...it's nature of the athlete. Just the other day I spoke with a 'mod' on here and she was in shock and a little disgusted by a girl who won her first show(Figure-short) a few weeks back in Chicagoland who's only 20yrs old. She asked this 'mod' if it would be a good idea to start using winstrol and anavar and clen for her next show...all because some 'dealer' at her gym said it would be and thats 'what the pros do'. You see?

There will always be someone ready to take it to the next level and do what they have to do to stay on top. Unless God can snap his fingers and rewire the thinking and programing of our primitive brains...I can't see things changing for the better permenantly.
?

Jodi

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • INBA Professional Competitor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »
I am currently preparing for the the lightweight division at Nationals in Miami.  I have yet to "take a ride on the wild side."  And I refuse to ever do so.  I already didn't get a pro card in figure, so I have nothing to lose by remaining natural.  Instead, I have everything to gain, especially if I can convince other women that bodybuilding can be done naturally and you don't have to be huge to make an impact.  I weigh 110 lbs. at five weeks out...not much different than I did with figure, except I'm leaner, fuller, and more balanced.

I have no expectations for this show except to have fun!  My birthday is November 8, so this is my present to me, and I'll get to see a ton of my friends, flex a bunch, and act a fool on stage.

I do think that because we are already a group of athletes and individuals with a mindset that more is better and nothing is ever good enough, it's easy to keep trying to reach that next level.  But sometimes that next level doesn't mean size.  It can mean a refinement in the details--the conditioning, the shape, the balance, the overall look and appeal of a body.

Bodybuilders need to return to the idea that they are artists, and they have a piece of clay with which to sculpt and present.
Jodi

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 06:40:15 AM »
Jodi that's great, how bout a couple of picts here
X

Jodi

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • INBA Professional Competitor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 04:21:25 PM »
I'm taking some progress pictures this evening, but I'll have to examine them and see if I really want to post one outside of my members' area.  I generally don't do that.
Jodi

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »

Bodybuilders need to return to the idea that they are artists, and they have a piece of clay with which to sculpt and present.

Very well said, Jodi.

Makes me feel real guilty about this booty shot I took of you at Tara's party.

I'm deeply ashamed.

OneBigMan

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 06:17:10 AM »
The public perception of female bodybuilding is based on reality. That is a reality that I don't like because female bodybuilders are very unique.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 12:52:12 PM »
I think you will get over your guilt :)
X

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 12:58:33 PM »
As long as there is no drug testing, drugs will play a part of BBing (men and women's). Honestly, you will NEVER eliminate drugs from the sport. 

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 01:47:55 PM »
Has anyone ever read the book, Women of Steel, by Maria Lowe?

It's a great book on female body building.  Maria is a sociologist and she interviewed many body builders, judges, and others involved in this world.  I thought she did a great job describing (through her "interviewees")  the struggles that female body builders, ie the training, drugs, social stigmas, etc. experience.  Also, she shows the benefits-including strength and self-esteem increases. 
She interviews some judges...some who are very supportive of women's body building and some who are so sexist.

I think its a great read.  There are also some fantastic photos in there by Steve Wennerstrom and WPW.

musclehead1

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 04:55:03 PM »
  Steroids has been and will always  be a part of bodybuilding.  With that being said I personally don't see nothing wrong with female bodybuilders using steroids. The main reason why the girls keep getting bigger is because the judges always give the titles to the bigger girls.  Its always going to be that way.  The judges might say they want to see the girls less muscular but at the end of the day the day the biggest girl will walk ys away with the title.  It will always be that way until every female competitor decide to aim for the asthetic rather than the bulky look.

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 01:53:13 PM »
Has anyone ever read the book, Women of Steel, by Maria Lowe?

It's a great book on female body building.  Maria is a sociologist and she interviewed many body builders, judges, and others involved in this world.  I thought she did a great job describing (through her "interviewees")  the struggles that female body builders, ie the training, drugs, social stigmas, etc. experience.  Also, she shows the benefits-including strength and self-esteem increases. 
She interviews some judges...some who are very supportive of women's body building and some who are so sexist.

I think its a great read.  There are also some fantastic photos in there by Steve Wennerstrom and WPW.
going to pick that up, thanks!

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 04:13:14 PM »
when did this come out
X

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 04:57:37 PM »
when did this come out

I read it many years ago.  Let me check the printing date.................... ........................ ........................ .......1998.  The correct title and author is:  Women of Steel  by Maria R. Lowe

She classifies "more muscular bodybuilders" as Paula Bircumshaw and Bev Francis.  Wow, how things have changed!